University of South Alabama Employee Reviews

A very stressful place to work and short staffed
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 16, 2018
A typical day at the University of South Alabama Children's and Women's Hospital would be very stressful in an E.R. Working with kids was fun but there was a lot of poor management. There was no kind of organization. We were short staffed and many worked resigned because of temper flares from nurses and doctors. But I build a work record of 11 and a half years and the benefits were good.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Breaks too short and nurses having bad manners
Area Supervisor II - Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 8, 2018
I really enjoyed my work there for about 7 years, then things changed for the worse with new management but overall it's a good place to work for most
Pros
educational benefits and other benefits
Working as a paid student worker on a project
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  South Alabama, NYApril 5, 2018
You have to understand if you work as a paid student worker, the goal is the recommendations for a REAL job. That said, the professors work to give you real world guidance for when you graduate. Just consider that you are only being PARTIALLY compensated for the work you should be putting in.
Management was awful
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 4, 2018
I loved my job and I loved my co workers while working in Patient Access at USA Medical Center. But the management there is awful. They are quick to throw you under the bus and do not care much for your home life. They told me that since I had a child, I should find another job because they dont work around any other schedules. They are the only supervisors I have ever had that plan on how to make your day worse. They find one person to pick on then keep picking and picking until that person quits, then they move on to the next one. They write you up for things out of your control, and are quick to say "that's not my problem". God bless your soul if you end up working for them.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
The University of South Alabama is a very good place to work.
Research Technologist II (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYMarch 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at the University of South Alabama. It was relaxed with good people. My only problem with it was that the pay was not sufficient. The campus is also very attractive and the surrounding restaurants are excellent.
Lack of Experience Management
Clerk II Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 15, 2018
My manager was transferred from another department. The clerk IV at that time had to train her for years on different tasks, in which she still depend on others to do her work for her. In my opinion those positions should be promoted from with in the department because those employees are more familiar with the job duties and tasks other than others. I didn't see the difference in experience between her and other staff that applied. Only to see some of us/other staff had obtained degrees in Health Care Management over the years and the manager at the time did not posses a degree.
groundskeeper III
grounds keeper 3 (Current Employee) –  mobile alMarch 8, 2018
working in the grounds department each day is filled with new task, you may be doing the same thing but in a different location with different needs. That's exciding, My duty is to spray to kill weeds and if there are no weed it could be trimming hedges or trees. putting out pre-emergences or insecticide. I am always trimming something or edging, Blowing. At time I may need to use the tractor for heaver loads, Is fun if you like the outdoors.
Pros
excellent health benefits, flexable time offs.
Cons
Not everyone works at the same pace so its best to have a compatable partner
Typical southern hierarchical institution
Professor (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 10, 2018
This is a great place to work if you don't mind if nothing gets done in a day, week, or even a year. Everything is mired in paperwork -- I worked for the federal government and it was light years ahead. It is a very low pressure environment if that is what you are looking for.

The salaries for faculty are extremely low -- some of the worst in the country. But the salaries for administrators are sky high. Professors are really the bottom of the barrel.

For women, they give only the legally mandated 6 weeks off unpaid for having a child. And for men, they give nothing when you have a child. They don't have a daycare. But kids can use the nice recreation center pool if you purchase them a membership.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
No time off for family leave, poor financial compensation
School
South University Clinical Faculty (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYFebruary 9, 2018
Schooled at South Alabama. Preceptor of South University Student. Not employed with South University.
Not Applicable and cannot post any review about this company
Never again
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 31, 2018
Poor management and a ton of politics. Rotating shifts and off days were hard on my family. No opportunity for extra jobs. Limited overtime. Leutenants and Captains make more overtime than officers.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Politics
Excellent, I enjoyed working there
Graduate Student and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 20, 2018
It provided me with the excellence and efficiency to face the huge market outside. Excellent research opportunities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great University Job
Assistant Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 14, 2018
If you want a cushy gov job this place is perfect. Low-pressure work environment and you'll always leave by 5. Access to the university facilities (rec center, etc) is a big plus.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 11, 2018
I was a paid research assistant and received free tuition and a stipend while I pursued my master's degree. It's a decent job if you don't have real bills to pay.
Provided great experience for a number of future jobs
Conference Housing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 9, 2018
Management was incredible. We performed tasks such as cleaning rooms, checking individuals in to their rooms, and assisting with whatever need they had while on campus-from unlocking their doors to telling them where the soda machines were.
Pros
Free housing, great hours, reasonable pay
It had its ups an downs
Custodian (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYDecember 27, 2017
The overall job I've endure slot within itself it motivated me to pursue my dreams of helping other whom no longer could help them selves it was a great adventure along that road
Great place to work if your under the right management
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 27, 2017
The position I'm currently in has no room for growth ! Maybe if you were in another department and with a Degree there's a chance. But in the housing department they sometimes treat you like a child and constantly watching you on the camera when they are to suppose to be for monitoring the students and their safety .
benefits
Cons
unexperience supervisors
flexible
Department Secretary (Current Employee) –  South Alabama, NYDecember 26, 2017
This job is good for entry in the University. The negative is that it is hard to transfer out a position. Once you accept a position they try to lock you in to that department.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Limited semester hours
Great university with diverse faculty
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile County, ALDecember 18, 2017
The English department at USA is outstanding. It has a diverse faculty who possess a variety of skills and backgrounds. There are several visiting professors and guest lecturers that add to the variety and pool of interest for students.

I was a TA, but we taught writing classes on our own (rather than co-teaching with a principle faculty member). At the same time, we also took a course in teaching basics, which helped to facilitate our preparation for the classroom.

The hardest part of the job was balancing teaching with studying. However, I enjoyed the experience, and I'm glad that I had it.
Pros
Great atmosphere, friendly colleagues
Cons
Shared office
College environment
Cashier/Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 16, 2017
Students pleasant to work with. Not enough benefits. Work based on college schedule, that works for some but not other families. No pay authorized during breaks.
Pros
Regular employment
Cons
Few benefits
Was Not A Full Time Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Alabama, NYDecember 14, 2017
This was a summer job conducted by teachers under the direction of the school. Payment came from the school itself, but it was primarily a classroom job where I worked under teachers and not for the school itself. I have no opinion on the work conditions of the school due to this.