University of South Carolina Aiken Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Relaxed workplace that comes with a lot of free time
Peer Educator (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 5, 2018
This is in on campus job where you get to choose your hours and when we have an event coming up the boss hovers over your shoulder. If there is no program coming up the boss expects you to work on upcoming programs.
Very helpful co-workers and friendly environment to work in
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 12, 2018
Great set of people to work with in a relaxed and friendly manner. Colleagues are very committed and inspiring as well as helpful. HAd a great expereince as first time teaching.
Flexible
Coordinator of Disability Services (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCNovember 4, 2017
Good working environment with friendly staff.
Opportunity to meet students from various backgrounds and various disabilities.
Have the opportunity to run and manage the department as I want.
Cons
inadequate working space
Work in Housing
Summer Housing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 25, 2017
Work in housing department of the USCA was fairly easy and laid back. They paid you well. You had time off for holidays and weekends. They had a good staf management
Pros
wage
Cons
nothing
Very nice environment to work in
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 3, 2017
I enjoyed working on campus. It was a professional, but balanced setting. I felt like the pay could have been a little higher, especially for college students and the stress of the job. Overall I would recommend it to a friend. If I could go back and work in that type of setting or office job again, I would.
Pros
Cons
Not enough hours per week
Productive Work Space
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 25, 2017
Normal work days include going into the office and doing various tasks such as logging mail and packages, small "housekeeping" chores, and helping residents throughout our office hours with any general problems they may have. During our extended time as a Resident Mentor, we conduct hall meetings, hold programs for residents, and attend regular building and all staff meetings. The management is fair and the workplace itself can be fast-paced or slow-paced depending on the day and the activities scheduled throughout the University itself. I've learned how to better service people while working with Housing and I've built a higher sense of self esteem and work ethic as a Resident Mentor. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the different types of people that lived in my building. The hardest was working with a schedule that included nine other people and moving it to fit in other important school activities.
Pros
Worked 5 hours per week (with the exception of holidays and move-in/out days)
Cons
Duty days are 16 hours long and can be longer depending on if you have a long weekend that week
Depends on what type of job you have
Assistant Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 16, 2017
The workplace culture is very friendly, yet efficient. Teachers get first dibs on everything. The pay is negotiable, so that is good. I received great treatment, both as a student and a worker.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
short breaks
Productive environment in which hard work always manifested results
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCHER (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 6, 2017
Day consisted of a lot of work and of course a lot of good results that could be used for future publications. Loved working for this place and would not mind returning.
Nice Workplace
Building/Grounds Spec III (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCNovember 10, 2016
Typical workday I pick up litter first thing in the morning, then I check what I have to do for the day. Usually it involves mowing, weed whacking, mulching, or pine straw
Productive and fun place to work.
Baseball Manager (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCNovember 5, 2016
I enjoy the people I work with and they have become a second family to me. My job can become overwhelming at some points but in the end every struggle was worth the while.
Productive and fun place to work.
Baseball Manager (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCNovember 4, 2016
Working here is more than just working, it's enjoying an opportunity for more than just the every day routine. The people I work with have become a second family to me and for that I am grateful. My employer has become a lifelong mentor.
Great School
Student (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 13, 2016
Great school to attend and very helpful when it comes to meeting the student's needs. Always provided ways for them to enhance their experience and had workshops as well
Great interaction w/ Students, but lack of Support
Program Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 7, 2016
I enjoy working with the students and their families, but when it comes to support from upper management (directors and those above them) they become more about self glory and less about being a team/family.
Pros
Stable State Leveled Position
Cons
Poor management is some areas, lack of Supervisor support
Plenty of opportunities to grow as a person and your leadership skills
Student (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 7, 2015
As a student, I took classes through out the week until I was accepted into the Nursing School. During the nursing program, I was in class Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday with clinical days either n Thursday, Friday or Saturdays.
Simple Laboratory Set-Up
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 21, 2015
The research assistance entailed handling various chemical glassware and setting them up in a fashion that would allow you proceed with your experiment. As research assistants, we were required to be able to create solutions and combine various compounds on a day to day basis. Column Chromatography, TLC testing, and using the NMR instrument were just a few techniques used daily. Being a research assistant was very useful for learning how collaborative environments operated.
Tough but beneficial job
Research Assistant for CNERVE (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 16, 2014
Learning how to use the equipment and conducting my own research projects with the equipment helped me to gain research experience and learn about the method and procedure of research in general. Teaching others how to use the equipment was also beneficial; I learned how to teach the usage of complicated equipment so that faculty, undergraduates, and young children could understand how it worked. Some tasks were assigned randomly, while others were scheduled weeks or months in advance. My co-worker and I worked separately from our employer, only meeting when a new task was assigned.
Great people and weather is a plus
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 1, 2014
Work environment is fun, here you will learn that the environment and people here make the university a great place to work. The faculty, staff and everyone in the community is very supportive of the University and it's goals. Administration is very understanding that being a college basketball coach is a 24/7 job so you learn how to manage your time and it's important to stay organized throughout the season.
Loved Working Here (Help Desk)
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 19, 2014
Relaxed environment. Perfect student job. Respectful and knowledgable coworkers.
Thoroughly enjoy working as Adjunct Nursing Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCDecember 30, 2013
Monitor students in clinical setting and assist with facilitating their transition from student to Registered Nurse.
Very interesting and enjoyable wet chemistry.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Chemistry and PhysicsOctober 30, 2013
The academic lab I did research in synthesized novel inorganic model compounds taken from the active sites of enzymes. My research extended over a two year period.
I began by synthesizing a series of N-Heterocyclic carbene supported ligands by using a microwave synthesis technique and characterized them by using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance.
Once I was able to synthesize a clean ligand, it was used further. Because the complex I was attempting to make was air sensitive, the synthesized ligand was pumped into an inert atmosphere glovebox. Most of the work from that point on was done inside the glovebox.
Using UV/VIS spectroscopy, we were able to prove that we were successful in synthesizing a copper(I)-oxygen species.
I gave talks on this experiment two years in a row at South Carolina Academy of Science. The hardest parts of the job were also the most enjoyable. That was looking at what I had, deciding what to change to make the experiment work better or faster, or make the product cleaner. Being very meticulous at measurements and conditions was a very big part of the success of the project.
Pros
Feeling accomplished when I was able to get an experiment to work repetedly
Cons
having to pass the project on to someone else when I graduated