University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Careers start here
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 22, 2018
Great place to work to get started. State jobs are not know to have competitive salaries. I can not afford to live/work in Columbia which is disappointing. Most employees know its easier to find a higher paying job than it is to get a raise.
Pros
Great benefits. Management is amazing.
Cons
low wages, not much growth opportunities.
Pretty relaxed but so is their idea of reasonable pay
Communications (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 18, 2018
If you want to have a pretty chill job most of the time with some flurries of excitement, this is the job for you. No advancement or raises unless you're a man, and even then, the right man. Their idea of a livable wage in 2018 is a joke. That's why people work there, get some experience and contacts, and gtfo.
A great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 5, 2018
I love working at USC, unfortunately the management in my department make it very unpleasant to work in. I have learned much about Printing and the University as a employer.

The most enjoyable part of USC is the people I work with.
Pros
Great benefits & schedule
Cons
Poor management
Enjoyable workplace, but beware of burn-out
Assistant Director of Compliance Services (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2018
This was my first "adult" job, and I experienced a change in regime and several changes in office management. The job is mostly enjoyable; relationships are strong and the atmosphere is light and fun a majority of the time. It is also very rewarding to work with athletes who are very bright and driven. On the flipside, pay is well below average, and the time demands are rather heavy relative to the salaries. The department also struggles with a sizeable disconnect between the executive staff and the rest of the department; as a result, lower level employees have to take on a heavier burden. Despite this, it's still enjoyable to see a college sporting event and think of your contribution to it.
Pros
Good relationships, generally relaxed schedule
Cons
Poor benefits, low pay relative to time committment
A Pro learning work enviorment
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 25, 2018
The work culture is every changing, always trying to improve on the past. With The TERI program ending of the State of South Carolina, new faces have replaced older staff members.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
State pay scale
decent job
Contract Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoy this job and my boss. I needed a job and took this one even though it paid half of my job in the corporate world. There is no advancement, annual performance reviews, or raises
Pros
Great deal of freedom
Cons
poor pay
Student postion
Thomas Cooper Library - Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 15, 2018
if you dont have work study anymore you cant even work for the university. Students are underpaid and a dime a dozen. It is what it is. dont expect much
Pros
on campus, convenient
Cons
low wages, no benefits
If you know the correct people you can make a career out of working here
Mail handler at usc post office (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 30, 2018
Its a state job so the benefits are excellent. The pay should equal up to the average living expenses of the area but it does not... its a solid work environment for the most part.
grad. assistant position
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 25, 2018
The University is a great place to work. I was able to work from home some days and had a lot of freedom regarding my schedule. Compensation was not great.
Wonderful environment
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 20, 2018
Working in academia, I got to enjoy the ebb and flow of the year being broken out by semesters. Fall is the busiest time and involves the most working under deadlines. Working with students and faculty is a great experience and the skills I've gained with regard to technical writing has been invaluable.
Pros
Office environment, generous paid leave, positive campus atmosphere
Cons
Raises are not often given & when they are, not significant
If you can deal with horrible management for great benefits then this is the job for you
Animal/Agriculture Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 13, 2018
I got this job to make a good amount of money at a young age but it was very repetitive and the rules changed everyday. Management never seemed to really care as we were easily replaceable.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Horrible management
Great University
College Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 4, 2018
This is a great university to work for. Has excellent benefits and people here are so helpful and friendly. Team oriented Atmosphere is a positive vibe!
Benefits
Cons
Low Salary
Awful job culture
Membership Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 4, 2018
The office culture has an extremely clique feeling to it. Also, the lower your salary the more hours you work it seems. There is a reason why the turnover rate at this university is so high. People leave to get paid fairly for the work they put in. It is extremely top heavy when it comes to salaries and distribution of benefits.
No advancements or pay raise
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 19, 2018
You work long hours with only a 15 minutes lunch break and management was disrespectful and demeaning. The pay was not enough and only male co-workers would get pay raises for the same job.There was no room for advancement, especially for female workers.
Just a job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 10, 2018
This was a full time job meant to fill a role within the department temporarily. It also allowed me to meet people to allow for advancement and showcase my skills. All in all, thats what it was. The salary was not the main benefit.
good place to work
IT Consultant/Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2018
good place to work but you need to live downtown to avoide traffic. Not a good place to work if you anticipate a high salary or expecting a timely raise either you work hard or just to go by.
Pros
relax
Cons
no suuport for advancement
Interesting place to work and learn
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 11, 2018
I am always learning something new here. I was able to learn about computer hardware even though my major is Computer Science. Fun supervisors that go out of there way to teach you new things that relate to your school major and are understanding of time-consuming school projects. Most difficult part of the job is dealing with customers that don't want to follow the rules of the computing center, but overall, the job is a fun safe environment that gives the students a chance to learn and work.
Pros
Free printing, multiple field of computing to learn, fun supervisors
Cons
Customers that like to ignore the rules of the computing center
Engaging laid back place to work
U101 Peer Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 12, 2018
I worked as an edventure guide for Green Quad students. My job was to plan and facilitate events relating to sustainability that would introduce students to each other, and get them involved/interested in sustainability. The hardest part about this job was finding ways to get students excited about sustainability, and to engage with one another. I really enjoyed this aspect of it, though. I liked informing them on sustainable practices and fostering communication to build their friendships.
Pros
Fun, Laid back, Learning environment
Cons
Na
Productive & I love My Job
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 22, 2018
I Supervise 6 ppl. We do janitorial work here. We work well together. Ive learned how to Supervise & Communicated well with others. Lots of assisting Professors/Students with issues. Ive learned how to do paperwork for my Employees. I do my best to keep everybody Happy & Building in Order.
Benefits
Cons
Non
cut throats
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCDecember 29, 2017
just not the professionalism an officer my be use to. If you are an experienced officer you will offend the upper management due to the lack of knowledge. They base all of their actions off personal feeling instead of experienced and professionalism.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
cut throats

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight