University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Mentor/Tutor
Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 22, 2018
One hour per student to mentor/tutor

Many cancellations due to sports related activities - out of town. Hard to build a relationship with the student.
It's great
Instructor of Clinical Microbiology Lab (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 21, 2018
Was a grad student/teaching assistant. It was great fsajkfdsahk;fjsakl; i dont want to do this why did I get taken to this portal? Just looking for jobs, man
A great place to work
Administrative Assistant to Arts & Letters (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCMarch 20, 2018
The environment here is very low-stress and there is no micro-managing. Everyone is supportive of your efforts and very friendly. Lots of opportunities to work with other staff members.
No advancements or pay raise
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 19, 2018
You work long hours with only a 15 minutes lunch break and management was disrespectful and demeaning. The pay was not enough and only male co-workers would get pay raises for the same job.There was no room for advancement, especially for female workers.
Fun place to work
Football Recruiting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 19, 2018
I loved working for the athletic department. Being a USC graduate, I loved being able to be close to all the action that was South Carolina football. It was a fun and exciting place to work.
Pretty Relaxed but Fast Paced
Ticket Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 17, 2018
You speak with a lot of people from varying backgrounds.
Staff is made up of like minded individuals with the same goals.
Get to attend games for free.
Fast-paced sales and trouble-shooting, customer service
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 14, 2018
Ordered lab and teaching supplies for largest USC department (Biological Sciences), sold and reported these supplies, provided training to lab employees on safe transport of chemicals and gas cylinders, did all international paperwork to ship research equipment for research teams traveling globally, prepared all FedEx and UPS shipments and associated paperwork, trained work studies and part-time employees on inventory control and customer service, acted as receiving agent for all incoming orders, samples, scientific catalogs for entire department, ordered and dispensed ETOH and reported sales monthly, supplied stockroom inventory and sales reports, reserved department vehicles and boats for use by faculty and lab techs, made arrangements for scientific equipment calibrations for department, signed out audio-visual supplies, ordered-stored-sold and reported gas cylinders for College of Science and Mathematics,
led college in recycling efforts and won award for same, ordered live specimens (invertebrates) and specimens (dead) for research and teaching labs, ensured that teaching labs safely disposed of said materials when research or teaching was concluded. Inventory estimated to be upwards of $1 million in stockroom. Time-sensitive dry ice shipments of DNA and proteins. Ordered, stored, sold and reported dry ice for college. Worked closely with USC Environmental Health and Safety Department to ensure that stockroom met all OSHA standards and that employees were properly trained in transport of hazardous chemicals and gases.
Pros
Delivered research equipment on time for field work world-wide, education I received on chemicals, gases and proteins, ability to complete simultaneous tasks successfully under pressure, ability to work alone or with others, forecasting pre-semester needs of teaching labs, health and safety knowledge about chemicals and gases, working with sales executives of scientific companies, working with brilliant faculty.
Cons
Occasional very long hours, trouble-shooting for research teams world-wide, necessity for e-mails and phone calls during the night to deal with research teams, very large training curve with little time to absorb info before application, dealing with difficult faculty and lab techs, understanding int'l. employees and students with subpar English.
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 13, 2018
Very unique place to work. The employee had a long tenure with the company and this enhanced the work environment making it feel like family. I would not trade it for the world.
I held a teaching graduate assistantship while pursuing my master's degree.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Child Development CenterMarch 13, 2018
The experience is one I treasure to this day. I learned an awful lot and was able to see classroom instruction brought into real life situations. At the time the research regarding fetal alcohol syndrome and crack babies was just being published and I worked with both of these types of students at the center.
Pros
great learning curve
Cons
couldn't stay longer
Best experince
Research Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 9, 2018
The University of South Carolina Exercise Science develop all students and staff for a career in exercise research, and the understanding of the physiology of exercise.
Awesome position, with terrific people to work with.
Human Resources Director - Faculty and Staff (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 7, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years at the University. Had it not been for my need to move back to Pittsburgh, I would have finished my career there. I loved my job and the people I had the opportunity to work with. Coming from the airline business for 18 years, it was a transition, but I wasted no time becoming the Director of both Faculy and Staff. I'm proud of what I accomplished and the opportunity I was given.
Pros
Excellent, helpful people to work with, with alot of opportunity for advancement
Univ. of South Carolina Laboratory Fishery Research
Research Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCMarch 7, 2018
My primary duties included identification and enumeration of a long term data set of larval fish. I learned an incredible amount about larval marine fish and invertebrates. The Baruch Marine Lab was a wonderful place to work with intelligent, hard working employees and a great atmosphere.
Great environment
Assistant Athletic Trainer-Football (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 4, 2018
Great working environment and support from administration. Fun place to work and live. Great relationship with coaches and staff. Support from community.
U of sc
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 1, 2018
I was only a graduate student at U of SC, but I truly enjoyed my time there. I would recommend attending the university as a student and it seems like a nice place to work.
Fun and interesting environment
Housing Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with and for most of the time, the staff had a tendency to be on edge during stressful times but we all got through it and it ended fine.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Stressful at times
Overall, the University of S.C. is a great place to work.
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 26, 2018
Your work experience at the University of South Carolina will depend upon the department in which you are hired. Some of the departments have an environment in which the culture is team-oriented, which is really nice. Other departments may have a culture where it's all about an individual, as opposed to a team.
Pros
Good healthcare, Annual and Sick Leave
Cons
If you work on a research grant position, it may not be refunded and then you are out of a job.
Great networking opportunities.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 25, 2018
A relaxing environment and work with numerous professors assisting in their areas of expertise. Insight is provided on different populations you can work for and with upon graduation while building professional relationships and networks to open yourself up to more opportunities.
Vehicle Technician lll (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 24, 2018
Did preventive maintenance on all vehicles cars,trucks, buses.Had list of vehicles to do monthly tried to do as many as I could. Also took vehicles to different places to get repaired, get estimates or pick up when ready. Learned all different aspects of repairing vehicles from hands on to learning from other people.
One of the best part of job was getting to know all the people that bought me their vehicle to work on.
Drove bus to take students on class field trips. Or take or pick up athletes from airport or their sporting events
Pros
The supervisor gave me the freedom to get all my work done
Cons
I cannot complain
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 22, 2018
Great environment to do research, nice weather and the colleagues and mentors are very helpful indeed. I recommend to do PhD in the department of ME, UoSC.
Everyday is different
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 22, 2018
In the department that I work in the mood and situation always changes from day to day. Being in this department I have learn patience and team work. The hardest thing about my job is that most of the time it is just not enough time to fit all of your project in the time you have. In all I like working for the University of South Carolina.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Organization of management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight