University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Overall, the University of S.C. is a great place to work.
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 26, 2018
Your work experience at the University of South Carolina will depend upon the department in which you are hired. Some of the departments have an environment in which the culture is team-oriented, which is really nice. Other departments may have a culture where it's all about an individual, as opposed to a team.
Pros
Good healthcare, Annual and Sick Leave
Cons
If you work on a research grant position, it may not be refunded and then you are out of a job.
Great networking opportunities.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 25, 2018
A relaxing environment and work with numerous professors assisting in their areas of expertise. Insight is provided on different populations you can work for and with upon graduation while building professional relationships and networks to open yourself up to more opportunities.
Vehicle Technician lll (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 24, 2018
Did preventive maintenance on all vehicles cars,trucks, buses.Had list of vehicles to do monthly tried to do as many as I could. Also took vehicles to different places to get repaired, get estimates or pick up when ready. Learned all different aspects of repairing vehicles from hands on to learning from other people.
One of the best part of job was getting to know all the people that bought me their vehicle to work on.
Drove bus to take students on class field trips. Or take or pick up athletes from airport or their sporting events
Pros
The supervisor gave me the freedom to get all my work done
Cons
I cannot complain
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 22, 2018
Great environment to do research, nice weather and the colleagues and mentors are very helpful indeed. I recommend to do PhD in the department of ME, UoSC.
Everyday is different
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 22, 2018
In the department that I work in the mood and situation always changes from day to day. Being in this department I have learn patience and team work. The hardest thing about my job is that most of the time it is just not enough time to fit all of your project in the time you have. In all I like working for the University of South Carolina.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Organization of management
Awesome
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 20, 2018
Great great great great fun place I freaking love it. Great envorinment.I experience a lot. My supervisor is soooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friendly enviornment
Nice job experience
Research Asistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 16, 2018
For this research assistant job, I have gained many machine learning knowledge and deep learning knowledge through doing extensive projects. Also I improve my coding skills.
productive and fun workplace
Assistant for Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 13, 2018
Help the new students to search for accommodation and explain the university's systems and answer their inquiries and ensure weekly transportation to the mall and coordinate entertainment for the students.
Human Resource related responsibiities
Student Health Services Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 13, 2018
As the Human Resource Coordinator in Student Health Services I was responsible for a wide variety of sourcing and on-boarding activities. The position required excellent communication and organizational skills and provided the opportunity to utilize my human resource experience.
Pros
Working on a college campus
Productive and fun workplace
Resident Mentor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 7, 2018
There is no typical day at work since much of your job is engaging with residents in your building. Each day has a different challenge or victory. However, it is an extremely rewarding job. The workplace culture is very positive, and there is a lot of emphasis put on relationships with coworkers. The hardest part of the job are the nights when you're on call, but other aspects of the job make up for it.
Pros
Fun events, kind and supportive supervisors
Cons
Demanding job, requires nights on-call

Want to know more about University of South Carolina?

Ask a question
Cool place to work while going to school
Undergrad Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 31, 2018
Was just a student researcher which I would recommend for anyone. No benefits or paid time off sadly. The people I worked with were nice and so was my boss.
Review
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 30, 2018
The environment is amazing but the pay scale is not desirable. I enjoy my job; however, there are areas of micromanagement that need to be addressed. With 18+ years of accounting experience, I do not feel I need to be micromanaged.
good place to work
IT Consultant/Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 29, 2018
good place to work but you need to live downtown to avoide traffic. Not a good place to work if you anticipate a high salary or expecting a timely raise either you work hard or just to go by.
Pros
relax
Cons
no suuport for advancement
Good place to meet interesting people
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 24, 2018
Very good place to meet interesting people from all parts of the country. there are lots of special events, most are for a good cause that we all get to take part in.
Pros
Lots of free lunch and free events.
Cons
There are lots of special events that require long hours.
Great department with fantastic leadership and strong relationships among colleagues.
Information Technology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 24, 2018
Employees within the department share knowledge and teach me based on the different daily tasks that make up their position. Management is caring but also task oriented.
Productive & I love My Job
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 22, 2018
I Supervise 6 ppl. We do janitorial work here. We work well together. Ive learned how to Supervise & Communicated well with others. Lots of assisting Professors/Students with issues. Ive learned how to do paperwork for my Employees. I do my best to keep everybody Happy & Building in Order.
Benefits
Cons
Non
Challenging, fun and interesting
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 16, 2018
Working at the Engineering department at USC as a research assistant was a very rewarding. A typical day could vary, at the beginning stages of a project one might find themselves doing a full literature review and during the design phase, heavy coding and design hours were necessary. Weekly meetings with the project head were a great time to discuss the project, any new ideas or any challenges. Overall, I learned a lot about myself, my own research interests and what I want to get out of my career as a biomedical engineer.
Productive and fun work environment
Senior Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 16, 2018
Working in the Office of Student Conduct truly felt like working with family. There is almost always something to do, and multitasking is a necessity, but the amount of knowledge you'll gain is insane.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, lots of free food
Cons
Low pay
Experience
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 16, 2018
It was a great experience and i plan on working during the football season again. Everyone was really friendly and it was a collabrotive job. We worked as a team and did a great job assisting our costumers.
It is nice place to work and live.
Researching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 15, 2018
As a Ph.D candiate, I stayed here for five years. I like the whether and people here. My colleagues are very nice and are willing to help when I need them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight