University of South Dakota Employee Reviews

Easy work / life balance
Student Staff (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMay 6, 2019
I worked at the university as a student worker in the housing department for two years. During my time as a worker there were times where supervisors would leave and the positions would not be filled until the following year, or the higher up would try filling in here and there .
Pros
able to do homework
Cons
No sick days.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 20, 2019
exactly what was said above. Work environment was good with many opportunities to be published and gain experience with a verity of neuroscience techniques
Summary
Energy Engineer (Electrical concentration) (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 16, 2019
Typical day at work is 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, I have learned professionalism than before, management and co-operation with people, hardest part of the job was project approval process which was depending upon proving the importance of a project. Because, energy engineering position was conditional project engineering which was upon prove your project whether it is important than ongoing project and have best payback. While, project engineering is direct shot, assigned maintenance and repair list projects 5 to 10 years. That is why energy engineering was challenging because there was a prove yourself and your project phase. Workplace culture was so friendly. After making energy savings analysis, reviewing palns, ratings and drawings at construction and then make a form/ create of project which have material and labor in it and making a project package, hardest part of the job was showing up. Transferring the idea and managing important funding to make the project happen. But, enjoyable part was, full team was so friendly and always welcoming and independent.
Great pay and rockin benefits
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 14, 2019
During my time at the University of South Dakota I met a lot of great people it’s a very fun atmosphere with a steady pace the benefits are unbelievable!!
Pros
Good people pay and benefits
Cons
To short of lunch break
Fun
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yankton, SDMarch 13, 2019
I loved going to school here. I got to take classes that progressed me further down the path of success. My professors seemed to really care about my future.
Pros
Pizza
Cons
Homework
Good way to get room and board as well as meals covered. Many students to watch over with mixed reviews from students.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJanuary 12, 2019
You get out of this position what you choose to put in. Possibilities for moving between residence halls each semester but no sooner. Competive depending on the year.
good student job
Academic and Career Student Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJanuary 2, 2019
good student job with flexible hours around class schedule. Friendly staff and sling to help students and promote a great work environment. Will miss the people that I worked with.
Cons
low pay
Excellent work life balance
Graduate Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDOctober 31, 2018
Good Training for a more permanent position. Easy to balance work and life. Timecard process is a bit silly. No better way to go through graduate school in an affordable way.
Not bad.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDOctober 23, 2018
The tech fellowships that are offered are great experience for young students to get some real working experience. Organization could be improved, but in general it is enjoyable.
Horible culture
Information Technology Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDOctober 17, 2018
Very protectionist type culture. Everyone is fighting each other and watching their backs for sneaking and tricks. Funding is tight and fought over constantly.
Terrible for the students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 31, 2018
I loved my advisor, and the biology program, but the institution itself really isn't geared toward supporting graduate students. This can make it a difficult place to be.
low pay, no raises in over two years,
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 15, 2018
This is a good job but there hasn't been any raises in the last 2 years due to the state of South Dakota.
There is a very well established Good Old Boy Network running rampant in this University.
Loved it there
CUSTODIAN/FACILITIES (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 1, 2018
I was encouraged to learn and grow with this job. Very supportive and compassionate bosses. Everyone helped each other out and the atmosphere was always positive.
Pros
Good hours, benefits
Cons
Snow removal
Productive and fun Place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMay 24, 2018
People are friendly to work with other people as a group. People are more helpful. I like the working environment. I don't feel any pressure or stress while I am working here.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
no shoet break
great
Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMay 15, 2018
i helped students in the library with software and printing work. it was a very chilled job where i can communicate with people and learn many interesting things.
Get to know your Fine Arts Building
Studio Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMay 13, 2018
Was hired as work study, so nothing was very hard to handle. It was mostly just cleaning studios and shop spaces and helping Fine Arts students with projects and productions. Had a mix of Fine Arts students and students from outside the building come in to work together. Great learning opportunity!
Pros
Paid Learning Experiences, Communication, Lunch Breaks
Cons
Many different overseers
Lit
Student (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDApril 17, 2018
I just went to school here. I don't know why it's making me review what it was like to be employed. It was a pretty fun place to go to school though and all the professors and staff were super chill.
Relaxed environment with understanding management
DORMITORY DESK WORKER (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDApril 10, 2018
Working at the University of South Dakota has been a great opportunity while being an enrolled student as well. It has brought the necessary funds to afford schooling while also being a great place to work by being very flexible in hours with an emphasis towards schooling before work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, SDMarch 20, 2018
I worked in University Of South Dakota as a Graduate Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant. University Of South Dakota is a good place to study .
The SouthEast Corner of South Dakota
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 11, 2018
Working at the University of South Dakota under a stipend internship for Graduate School was a very nice part of my Graduate Education. Not only was it an opportunity to explore teaching in my particular area of interest, but it was helpful to be reviewing early material with new students.
Pros
Relaxed, Calm, Quiet, Reasonable Class Sizes
Cons
Gets really cold