University of South Dakota Management reviews

Summary
Energy Engineer (Electrical concentration) (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDMarch 16, 2019
Typical day at work is 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, I have learned professionalism than before, management and co-operation with people, hardest part of the job was project approval process which was depending upon proving the importance of a project. Because, energy engineering position was conditional project engineering which was upon prove your project whether it is important than ongoing project and have best payback. While, project engineering is direct shot, assigned maintenance and repair list projects 5 to 10 years. That is why energy engineering was challenging because there was a prove yourself and your project phase. Workplace culture was so friendly. After making energy savings analysis, reviewing palns, ratings and drawings at construction and then make a form/ create of project which have material and labor in it and making a project package, hardest part of the job was showing up. Transferring the idea and managing important funding to make the project happen. But, enjoyable part was, full team was so friendly and always welcoming and independent.
Horible culture
Information Technology Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDOctober 17, 2018
Very protectionist type culture. Everyone is fighting each other and watching their backs for sneaking and tricks. Funding is tight and fought over constantly.
I enjoyed comparing notes and working on lessons with other Teacher Assistants.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDFebruary 4, 2018
I usually taught two classes three days a week. I spent at least four hours holding office time, meeting with students, correcting papers, and collaborating with colleagues. I learned a lot about the various learning styles of college students and how to meet their learning needs. The management was excellent. We had scheduled times for feedback individually and as a group. The workplace culture was supportive and sociable. We were all learning together. The hardest part of the job was the commute.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other teachers and with at the students. These were freshmen, so they needed a lot of encouragement and help.
Pros
Collaborative Work Environment
Cons
Driving back and forth to work
Ok
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDJune 27, 2017
If you love South Dakota this would be an ok place to work. The benefits are awful unless you plan on retiring there. Wanted a town with more to offer. The higher level management is awful. My direct boss was great. Petty office drama as well. The town is full of people that have never left so it is hard to get involved in the town. Everyone already has their set groups and they don't welcome new comers well.
One of the worst places I've ever worked.
Sr. Building Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 7, 2013
I worked in Facilities Management in the HVAC shop. The people I worked with were good at what they did, but had no support from upper management. We were treated like a commodity (If you don't like it, we'll hire somebody else). I got terminated because they said I didn't fulfill the terms of a Work Improvement Program that was not handled properly even by their own rules. I was originally put on the program because I had an accident and hurt my shoulder. It was supposed to be for 30 days in which the supervisor was supposed to meet with me once a week and evaluate my progress. The supervisor that put me on it quit and it was several months before a new supervisor was hired during which nothing was done on the WIP. When they hired a new supervisor he resumed the WIP and we met every week as required, and he reported that I was doing well, until the last week when he told me that I failed the WIP and my employment was terminated. Everyone I met with in an appeal seemed to have reservations about the termination, but I was fired anyway. This told me that they had orders from upper management to cut back and this was their way of doing it. Even the State of
South Dakota agreed when they granted me Unemployment Benefits because in their judgment, I was terminated without cause. After my termination, 3 other members of the shop quit because they got tired of all the upper management manipulation of our jobs. Unless upper management is changed this is a lousy place to work. No loyalty to staff!
Pros
Campus itself is nice place to work.
Cons
Management doesn't care about how they treat staff.
Graduate school: Hard work, indentured servitude, exciting research
Lab Lead, Human Computer Interaction Lab (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 30, 2012
Highly independent. No time clock, no set hours, no supervisor. Requires high levels of self motivation and time management.

A typical day may include some or all of the following: 10 to 14 hours of literature review. Carpentry. Impromptu lectures in front of up to 100 undergraduate students. Computer programing. Supervision of junior research partners. Public defense of research findings. Knowledge of wine making.

Management is knowledgeable and helpful becoming intentionally less involved as research progress in order to foster independence in graduate students.

Co-workers (fellow graduate students) are highly motivated and enthusiastic about their work.

The most difficult part of being a graduate student is motivation. Projects are often so massive that it seems like they will never reach completion.

The most enjoyable part of graduate school is the research. Few things are more rewarding than seeing a research project to its conclusion or seeing a research paradigm you designed in action.
Pros
near total independence
Cons
no pay
Desk Work!
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, SDAugust 2, 2012
It was a decent job with decent management. Management changes each semester though, and that can provide for a ever-changing problem.