University of South Florida Employee Reviews

Students are a number
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 17, 2018
A lot of the policy and procedure at USF is based on "whatever it takes" for them to get the funding that they want. Interactions with students are transactional and meaningless.
work enviorment
Senior Parking Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 11, 2018
negative coworkers Lack of career advancement opportunities. compensation is far to low for the work involved. The only plus is time off during the holidays
Pros
annual time off
Cons
trublesome coworkers
The upper echelon doesn't care
Financial Aid Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 11, 2018
We work hard and don't get compensated well for it. We are one of 3 preeminent universities in the state but Chick Fil A employees get paid more than some of us here
Fast paced environment
ARNP (Former Employee) –  Tampa GeneralJuly 11, 2018
This was a hugely busy department with high expectations to hit the ground running with very little training. There is daily interactions with all levels of healthcare providers and multidisciplinary communications and collaboration on every patient.
Unfavorable experience
Fiscal Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 9, 2018
I truly believe had my manager taking more time to train me slowly rather that rushing through steps or raking short cuts I would have been more successful. This was the worst job experience I have ever had. This employer left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I hope they work to improve their mangers in the future.
Pros
Cons
Not enough pay for all of the work they pile on you
Did research work for a new lab
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 7, 2018
Typical day at work depended on the day. Every Monday was a meeting where we would discuss what was achieved, what issues we ran into, and what the plan for the next week was. This will likely differ simply because this is the professor's preference. The rest of the work was take-home work because the lab didn't have computers yet.

I had to leave because university policy doesn't allow non-students to hold a student research position, but I would have gladly continued full-time it policy allowed.
Awesome staff
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 29, 2018
I really enjoy working with the other staff at USF...even though I'm part time. Everyone is cheerful, positive, and we like working here. My colleagues are really helpful and caring about our students. The AV team which fixes any electronics that break or if we can't log in for some reason is great. Rooms are clean, technology is awesome, air conditioner in summer is way cool. I like the campus and they keep it updated. Marshall Center for lunch is great.
Pros
Environment, Staff, On Campus Atmosphere
Cons
Paying for parking
Graduate assistant
Graduate Assistant to the Professor of Oboe (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 28, 2018
Though the pay was not nearly as great as I would have liked it was still a great opportunity to learn and grow in a very engaging atmosphere. As the University continues to grow both acerbically and fiscally it would be nice to see that growth also be introduced upon the faculty and staff.
Pros
Great education
Cons
Poor pay
Excellent education and work opportunity
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 24, 2018
The University of South Florida has a great graduate school program that combines an excellent education with useful work experience. The professors took an interest in the success of their students, and provided continued career advice and support after graduation.
A fun way to make some money while in school
RESEARCH/LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 22, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about this job. It was exactly what I needed while I was in college. The hours were flexible and the pay was alright for an under grad and grad student
Walk in center for students who needed chemistry tutoring
Tutor (Former Employee) –  On campus libraryJune 22, 2018
The center had its ups and downs for how busy it was. During testing it was packed and right after exams it was dead. But we always had regulars who for the most part they used the center as a supplement towards their learning and showed up regardless if they needed specific help
job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 21, 2018
job is not fun anymore, too much pressure too many changes too many tasks to try and do no one is satisfied. No matter what the task is you need to get it done yesterday
University Jobs with benefits
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 21, 2018
Getting a job as a Graduate Assistant is competitive but is well worth trying for as your tuition is paid for and you have access to health care benefits besides getting a pay check.
Pros
Tuition and health benefits
Cons
contract based
Quiet Environment
School of Art Main Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 19, 2018
A typical day at work requires interaction with professors and art students. The majority of my time was split between working in the front office and maintaining the showroom. Great job with lots of opportunity to network.
Typical date at work
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 18, 2018
Typical working environment. I have a great supervisor. Department has very limited upward mobility, overall management mindset very difficult and slow to change. Most enjoyable part of the job is the campus.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2018
The university of south florida is a great school to attend and likely a great place to work. There are many students and many faculty/support staff. The system is well run and it is a very diverse and friendly environment.
Pros
Free lunch at events, great scenery and options to eat. Good transportation
Cons
health care plans are the most affordable but care in the clinics is good
Large Public University in the Sunshine State
Workstation Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2018
As a "full-time temporary work" in the IT department I received no benefits. It is difficult to get the State of Florida to approve a full position. Environment is very relaxed and management was great.
Nice place to work - stable
University Webmaster (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2018
Good work culture, lots of technology opportunities in a college / university setting. Some innovation on the technology side, lots of forward thinking IT professionals.
Pros
stable, good benefits
Cons
lower pay than private market
First job and I learned a lot.
general office worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 10, 2018
I learned a lot going to work for the college. It was grant money and when it ran out the job was over. I helped the students by scanning their files, telling them where to go to get help, answering the phones and doing reception duties. It was my first real job and I enjoyed it.
Convenient Workplace
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  USF Barnes and NobleJune 7, 2018
My areas of teamwork, leadership, and collaboration have increased from working on campus for almost three years. Convenient for students, but a mediocre experience with no possible career advancements.
Cons
management always changing, not consistent/stable