University of South Florida Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Fun place
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 12, 2018
It is challenging and fun. Everyone is nice and enthusiastic. time management is so important here and also the collaboration matters a lot. Good part is that there is always someone to help.
Pros
Student benefits, free stuff.
Cons
Low pay
Secure position, good benefits, low pay
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 11, 2018
USF is huge; it has over 49,000 students and 15,000 employees. As such a job in one area may be incredibly different than a job in another. There are good managers and poor ones; some departments are understaffed and the work load is heavy while others have a strong team of dedicated employees that share the burden; and the workers may just be passing through while taking classes or they might have been at USF for 30+ years.

Some seemingly universal truths persist: the pay is less than you'd get in the private sector, but the benefits are generous compared to many places. Staff and administrative employees can have tuition waived for classes. And you're not in danger of losing your job if the market suddenly turns, as USF is a public university and not reliant solely on donations and tuition like private universities.

Overall it's a good place to make a career, but not to make money unless you're looking to get into teaching, research, or high level administration.
Pros
Good benefits, secure position, continuing education
Cons
Low pay, hit-or-miss experience depending on location and role.
Great atmosphere in relaxing position
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 9, 2018
Very good place to work. Managers were very nice and accommodating to my class schedule. Other people my age were fun and understanding. We had many fun parties/group outings.
Review Summary
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlFebruary 5, 2018
Huge sprawling campus and teaching workforce and research labs condusive to innovative thinking and staying focused on your school work and research activities. Very friendly environment and International community to interact with which helps you think out of the box which further helps your focused thinking and hones your leadership skills and prepares you better to be a leader at the workplace.
Pros
Very impressive campus and libraries.
Cons
More scholarships for students to take advantage of the learning environment at USF.
great place to work
Payroll Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 3, 2018
educational environment with constant innovative activities and cutting-edge research. Being in a youth inspiring community where the focus was on growing and learning.
Steer Away
Professor (Former Employee) –  Sarasota ManateeFebruary 3, 2018
Worst place I have worked. Poorly run administration and high turn over. Stressful, competitive, little collaboration and racial tensions run high especially from the top. I highly recommend steering away from this place.
USF Job experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2018
Great work place. would love to work again any time. learned lot of things lot of new things the GEMS, Peoplesoft, FAST, accounting experience with Financemart etc.
Good school
Full-Time Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2018
The master's program was well-run and the faculty was exceptional. I enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to those who are seeking a higher education.
High stress, good management support
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 22, 2018
My best part of my day was helping all employees in stressful situations. It was great belonging to a large university with a large amount of supporting departments.
Pros
collaborative working environment, knowledgable co-workers
Cons
high stress
A Research Day
Graduate Assistant (GA) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 17, 2018
As a research scholar at University of South Florida i started work in an ordinary day. took my material Sample and performed experiment to characterize a novel piece of material with which our team was working.

The work is a Patent now.
Easy and laid back teaching assistant work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 17, 2018
Setup some office hours, come into work, and grade papers. That's about the extent of your work as a GTA. The benefits for working those hours are pretty immense when it comes to your tuition cuts.
Pros
Great discounts, easy work hours
Cons
Some early classes you have to attend
Fun Place to work
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 17, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere, good management. Working for the State you have excellent benefits however the compensation is low. Fun place to work, you feel like part of a community.
Was a great place to work
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 15, 2018
I would write tickets, perform customer service, lot surveillance. I would give assistance to the motorists, I would also do lot accountability, informing university police of any unusual activity.Immobilized vehicles that owed money to university parking services That is what I did on a typical day at work. I learned how to become more professional at my job and (pay attention to detail).
Pros
Good hours and benefits, and retirement
Cons
people threatening my life because I write tickets and immobilized their vehicles
Nice place
CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Very friendly staff , extremely busy place to work, cons low pay, benefits terrible, and consistently double booked. Overall could be a great place to work with new managment in place. Pt work load is very consistent, and you get a great variety of exams to perform. On the other end very demanding on time and perfection. Of scan.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Pay and benefits
Decent job with good people
Sr. Associate Director of Strength/Conditioning (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2018
Large university setting with pay and benefits on the lower end of the spectrum. Upper management and leadership does not seem too concerned about lower level employees.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 12, 2018
This work entailed field research and collection throughout Florida as well as laboratory classification. It also involved presenting two posters for presentation at the Geological Society of America (GSA) in Knoxville, TN.
Assistant Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 12, 2018
Diverse environment that is lively and enriching. While technology and pay may be somewhat behind the private sector, it's generally a positive place to work.
Pros
More flexible with employees. It offsets the pay. Great benefits.
Cons
Don't always practice what they preach, Somewhat intolerate of older employees - Conservatives, Christians, Penny wise but pound foolish, Employee classes equate to caste system, Different rules and standards for union vs. non-union employees.
USF is a great place to work for
Currently unemployed (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33620January 8, 2018
Other than the bad experience I had with a supervisor the university is a great place to work for. They are down to earth yet professional a the same time.
Pros
Personalities, professionalism, equals
Cons
My previous supervisor
Good position while it lasted
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2018
I was offered a TA position during my time as a graduate student at the University of South Florida. During this time I developed my tutoring and explanation skills and worked with a team of other TA's. The compensation was good and having flexible hours was helpful as a student.
Very Productive
Sr Program Assistant (Scholarships)(Financial Aid) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 4, 2018
I worked in a very interactive department, as we process scholarships for the athletes, so that they could continue to remain enrolled at a full-time status. Also process financial aid for students making sure that there files were completed. If not sending out the correct forms or documents to insure completion of there files.