University of Southern California Employee Reviews

Very busy place
Administrative/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2019
Research is very detailed, no mistakes are aloud. Work loud is busy on a daily basis. Patients comes first must be able to multi task with many interruptions.
Fine job for a grad student
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2019
The work was fine. It was for me as a graduate student and paid well. It isn't something I would want to do long term but was fine for what it was. The pay was good.
Great learning environment
Armani Lab Undergraduate/Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 3, 2019
Encouraging and supportive staff
Great facilities
Many other students that make the transition from school to research much easier.
Good work life balance
Efficient People with Student Focus
Student Services Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 1, 2019
I really enjoyed working here as an Intern, completing my fieldwork. I was able to interact with students and complete worthwhile projects. My favorite project was compiling the Student Advisor Handbook for the office.
Pros
Free food often
Nice place to work minimum supervision
Reservations Coordinator - USC Transportation (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 28, 2019
My job is to approve all of the parking reservations that are may by guests and departments who are visiting the university. Parking is a privilege not a right.
Pros
I enjoy meeting new people.
Cons
Can be overwhelming at times
great expirence
Guest Speaker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 22, 2019
Awesome opportunity to educate and be a key part of the teaching of dance music history to very bright students who show a deep interest in advancing in the knowledge and origins of the music and dance arts
Pros
great university
Cons
traffic going to andfrom
fine place to work
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2019
Depending on your department or office, USC can be the best or worst place to work. It does have one of the best benefits packages I have encountered, but like any large institution it is rife with terrible leadership and poor people promoted to middle management.
Nice place
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2019
A nice place to work but I didn't get much promote from taking their courses. I finally find my first intern by myself. USC didn't really help me with that.
Top Heavy
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Too many leaders and not enough employees. Every one is very concerned with titles. You are not treated very nice if your title isnt high. Not a good place for someone who is humble
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Difficult for advancment
Productivity at its best
Student Worker - Viterbi School of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2019
A typical day of work would be research on the various power plants across the world and updating the database.
Geographic Information System (GIS) was a new software that was pivotal to the research. Working from home with a meeting with the co-worker twice a week was the plan.
The most enjoyable part of the research would be learning new ways to approach GIS. Work from home was an added advantage but the effort was double than what is put at a regular office.
It was a really good experience.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Tedious research
Intern at Lab
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Very individual work with weekly meeting every Friday. It was me and another intern working on a specific project. We were given a task and tried our best to figure it out on our own. Good experience overall
Institucion privada con buenas intenciones de competir con las grandes universidades de California
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJanuary 1, 2019
El ambiente de trabajo es muy competitivo y los recursos para realizar investigacion son vastos
Pros
Seguro medico y prestaciones
Cons
Pocas oportunidades para interactuar con otros colegas
Great introduction as an undergraduate lab assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2018
First time undergraduates are treated as students in a course lab with the exception that the professor and graduate students make you feel a part of a professional research team. The work completed is a part of research that benefits the field of engineering and advances our understand in subjects beyond general courses.
Read this if you're USC Staff (not Faculty or Student)
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 20, 2018
During the 7 years I worked at USC my health deteriorated due to stress related issues, benefits were gradually eroded by senior administrators, and they somehow convinced the rank and file staff that they should feel privileged to work for the so called Trojan Family.

While I worked at USC s a middle manager:
- Lived in a small apartment that I barely qualified for in terms of income
- Drove a 13 year old car with a shaky engine and couldn't afford a new one. I had to pay for the privilege to park at USC too.
- Zero communication or respect from VP level. Worked more than ever and they thanked us with pay freezes and layoffs.

I then left USC to work for a public utility. Here's what happened (has been 5 years so far):
- after several years fulfilling clearly defined performance criteria, more than DOUBLED my USC salary in real terms
- moved out of my 1 bedroom apartment and bought a newly built house in a great location close to work
- bought a new SUV to transport my baby daughter safely, paid that off, then bought a brand new Tesla as a commuter car.
- I have a defined benefit pension, and my financial advisor said that I can retire confidently 7 years earlier (and with double the retirement income) than I would have had I stayed at USC.

my advice:
- only take a USC staff job (faculty are treated better and paid accordingly) if this is your best or only option.
- always look to apply for other companies even while working at USC
- If your boss is unreasonable, don't be afraid to push back. The economy is doing well so USC can't backfill your position
  more... that easily with their scant pay should you decide to walk away.
- whenever year end raises come around, don't buy into the notion that USC can't afford to give more. They can, and they've been fooling staff into believing otherwise for years.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
everything else.
Competitive
Cashier/Expediter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2018
Very competitive company, friendly employees, the customers, which are the students, are friendly as well. Fun environment to work in, extremely fast paced, keeps you on your toes to get the students inside and out so they can get back to their studying or classes.
Pros
employee discounts, never a dull moment
Mukemmel bir is ortami
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesDecember 9, 2018
Yapilan islerin hep ama istisnasizca hep takdir edildigi, buyuyup gelismek, her daim egitimin ilerlemesi adina verilen sonsuz mucadele... Takdir edilesi!
Productive and Educational Workplace
Part-Time Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2018
Clinical RDH instructors gain experience and continued education. This makes working at USC Ostrow School of Dentistry a productive and educational workplace to acquire additional skills.
Excellent Benefits
HR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2018
USC has a very rich and reward benefits program. There is a lot of room for growth. Many employees have worked there for more than 2 decades due to the great benefits.
good place to work
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2018
I was on a contract but I was treated well. my superviors were very understanding of my particular circumstances when I had to take some time off. I was encouraged and supported to pursue other roles within the department.
Wonderful place to work
SENIOR LECTURER (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 21, 2018
I love this job! I want to stay at this job and don't want to leave until my retirement. I hope to stay another 10 years at this position. This is a great job!
Pros
Treat's employees well