University of Tennessee Medical Center Employee Reviews

Excellent teamwork & love the teaching atmosphere
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 13, 2019
Excellent place to work! I work on a busy unit, but have all the support & resources to give excellent care! This is a hospital that the staff really care about the patients and each other. Surgeons are respectful (for most part) to staff. GI lab has some issues, would not recommend. Most other dept run well though. Love the teaching atmosphere!!
Pros
Excellent management, resources & positive environment
Cons
Lower end of pay scale, can’t use sick PTO unless 3days of reg PTO used, no discounts in gift shopshop
Great place to work.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 10, 2019
Job consists of:
• Establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships and promote effective teamwork with patients, families, coworkers, and the community
• Provide personal care assistance with activities of daily living to patients including: bathing, dressing, eating, drinking, oral care, elimination, and transportation
• Obtain, recognize, and communicate changes in patient’s vital signs, intake/output, and physical and/or mental condition to the Registered Nurse
• Teach new hires important information to succeed as a nursing assistant, such as teamwork, activities of daily living, vital signs, intake/output, and recognizing altering conditions
UT Medical
Transport Attendant (Former Employee) –  KnoxJanuary 4, 2019
I enjoyed my time at UT. It was a nice place to work but work hard. The people make the experience. I would go back if I ever had the chance to. It’s different working at a level one trauma center
Was an intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 27, 2018
I was in project Search and the Hospital made great efforts to help us in the program by also letting us be able to work as a normal person, be in just in a custodian job, or helping down in the food prepping area.
Pros
Works with disabled people
Cons
No pay for project search
Management is poor, benefits are terrible, pay is way low.
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 15, 2018
When you are hired training is poor, management is a joke, pay is way lower than other facilities in the area. The benefits at one time was good however, they get cut down more every year. Medical which is Cigna will not cover any procedure even if medical necessity has been met. The pharmacy insurance gets worse every year as well. The dental insurance won't pay if you have more than 1 dental filling in 2 years. I thought it was a great place at first but, I've seen many changes in recent years. They DO NOT value employees or their patients either. They force employees to work sick and then it spreads throughout the whole department and of course affects patients who are sick with lowered immune systems. I do not recommend working there at all. They do not offer paid holidays. If your building is closed on a holiday they steal your paid time off to pay you on that day.
Pros
Can't think of any!
Cons
Low pay, terrible benefits, no paid holidays, terrible management.
Everyone was very helpful fun to work there.
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 5, 2018
Enjoyed working at ut and all of my coworkers and the facilities were very clean. Enjoyed taking care of our patient and guests. The benifits were very good also.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
A wonderful hospital that is the place to go for extreme trauma.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 17, 2018
The experience that one would get from working at UT Medical Center is unparalleled in the Knoxville Metro area. Being a level-one trauma center, UT will allow it's employees to take part in delivering health care and life saving measures seen no where else in the city.
One of the best places I've ever worked
Staff Nurse, RN (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 14, 2018
This is the one hospital that I will strongly recommend working for! They provide the resources to make your working environment safe and productive. Great management!
Fast paced and great learning opportunity.
CNA/ Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  4 heartNovember 2, 2018
Good company to work for. Has good benefits and 401k and PTO hours. Long hours and can be stressful at times. Sometimes understaffed which makes for part of the stress.
great fun and rewarding
Resident Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 21, 2018
I enjoyed working at utmc for the time i was there. it was busy and often found the people very engaging. the work environment was professional and efficient.
Pros
nice facility and great coworkers
Cons
very busy environment
Great Place, Low pay
RN (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 1, 2018
This is an incredible place to work with great people, management and ability to learn. It allows for RN to move freely between full, part, and per diem status. The biggest drawback is the low pay which is seen at every hospital in the area and no paid holidays- have heard they are working to correct this.
Great learning environment
RN/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 1, 2018
UTMC is an excellent teaching environment with great opportunities to learn all aspects of the healthcare industry. The workplace culture is education focused.
Great learning opportunity, not somewhere to stay forever
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 30, 2018
Busy level 1 trauma center -- you're going to see and do a lot. I think it's been a great learning experience straight out of nursing school. Turnover is ridiculous and staffing is a mess. They don't even try to keep people. Salary is lower than what I hear area hospitals are paying. Insurance is garbage. Still, a lot of amazing people here from whom you can learn a lot. Just seems like everyone is learning it and then running somewhere else.
Pros
trauma experience, magnet designated, variety of interesting injuries and diseases
Cons
low pay, poor benefits, poor management, very negative climate, short staffed
Long hours terrible management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 24, 2018
From embezzlement to having paid health inspectors, this is not a good place to work. Many times you are left on your own to do a four person job. You don't get promised days off.
Pros
Food
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 20, 2018
Not a perfect place to work but a good place to work. Hard to advance because of the politics. Company keeps growing but nursing turnover keeps growing too.
Pros
great autonomy
Cons
lower wages
A good place to work
KNOXVILLE, Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 30, 2018
UT Medical Center has a positive, patient-centered approach to health care. They work on evidence based practice. Multi-disciplinary rounding is a large part of UT's culture as well. I would highly recommend it as a place to work for new graduates looking to gain experience in the health care field.
Great place to work!!
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 29, 2018
I loved my time at the University of Tennessee Medical Center! Everyone was friendly and willing to help. Benefits were great. The only downside was the pay rate could have been better compared to the amount of responsibilities required.
Great place for learning.
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 11, 2018
UT hospital was cutting edge with its care and technology. The work culture was great and the teams collaborated well. Also the benefits were excellent.
Pharmacy management is horrible!
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 8, 2018
Working in the pharmacy was the most horrific place I have ever worked in my entire life. The amount of negativity is awful. The staff that has been there for a while are in a clique and will make your life a living nightmare. It’s like being in high school all over again. Day shift doesn’t do anything, so when 2nd shift comes in you do it all with the least amount of help. Seven people left when I was there, obviously the turnover is awful. When I pulled in the parking lot everyday I wanted to just leave and never come back. The management promises all these things when you first get hired but they never happened. Lies, it’s all lies. You will absolutely regret it if you work in the pharmacy department. The management has favorites and they get picked to do stuff they have no idea how to do over someone that has a lot of experience. This department seriously needs to recognize why they have such a high turnover rate, and the answer is to look at your supervisors and management.
Pros
Insurance
UTMC Review
NURSING SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 6, 2018
Wonderful place to work! I started my nursing career here 11 years ago. I have learned and grown so much as an RN and now nursing supervisor, thanks to the awesome staff and opportunities at UTMC.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Tennessee Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Tennessee Medical Center Reviews by Location