University of Tennessee Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Pharmacy management is horrible!
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 8, 2018
Working in the pharmacy was the most horrific place I have ever worked in my entire life. The amount of negativity is awful. The staff that has been there for a while are in a clique and will make your life a living nightmare. It’s like being in high school all over again. Day shift doesn’t do anything, so when 2nd shift comes in you do it all with the least amount of help. Seven people left when I was there, obviously the turnover is awful. When I pulled in the parking lot everyday I wanted to just leave and never come back. The management promises all these things when you first get hired but they never happened. Lies, it’s all lies. You will absolutely regret it if you work in the pharmacy department. The management has favorites and they get picked to do stuff they have no idea how to do over someone that has a lot of experience. This department seriously needs to recognize why they have such a high turnover rate, and the answer is to look at your supervisors and management.
Pros
Insurance
UTMC Review
NURSING SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 6, 2018
Wonderful place to work! I started my nursing career here 11 years ago. I have learned and grown so much as an RN and now nursing supervisor, thanks to the awesome staff and opportunities at UTMC.
Fast Paced learning environment
CNA/HUC (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 23, 2018
Fast paced, high stress workplace. They expect you to do more than the average workload for less pay. Some units are very helpful when your new while others do not help you at all and your left to figure it out yourself. Training is okay but could be better, turn around rate is very high making a lot of the help sub par. Pay is lowest hospital in the area and benefits are not as good as you would think for a hospital this size, no co-pays like they used to have....its all per person annual deductibles. They are constantly short staffed because of the high turn over in staff.
It is a learning hospital so lots of Doctors are in training especially in ER.
PTO time is accrued and sometimes it is hard to get time off when you want .
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Stress, fast pace, poor management
UT is a well oiled machine
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 3, 2018
UT is a great place to work and advance your career skills. We do a little of everything here. I have learned a lot by working here, and I work with some amazing people.
Great Place to work
Patient Access Department (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 15, 2018
Great learning facility and level 1 trauma facility. The quality of patient care and experienced comes first. Always strive to improve quality of care and overall experience of patients.
Excellent place to work
Endocrinology Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 14, 2018
Best job I ever had. Fantastic people to work with and work for. Fun environment and atmosphere. Management is great and there is always something going on for the employees.
Good place to learn
Emergency Room Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 9, 2018
Good place to learn. Good place to start out as a new graduate. Has lots of experienced nurses that can show you how to be a better nurse. Also good trauma care experience
loved it here
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37920May 7, 2018
moved from out of state to work here, loved it , people were welcoming and awesome, learned a lot , would do it again if given the opportunity. very clean.
CST/CRCST (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 25, 2018
Good place to work but short staffed and the pay is not as good as other hospitals. For a level one trauma center I feel like they should do more for their employees.
Administrative Support
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 19, 2018
Working in that particular environment was very stressful. I felt all alone when I needed help or direction, help and direction never came. No matter how many times I would ask my supervisor. You were given impossible jobs and expected to do task with little to no instruction or education. I was very glad when I left. I actually went into therapy for a while to help me deal with how I was treated there.
Pros
Made lot of friends
Cons
Poor leadership
Horrible
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 19, 2018
While they advertise excellence it is nothing more than false advertising. With the exception of the stroke program and maybe a couple of others the awards they have achieved are done falsely. They put a lot of effort into hiding things. Top leadership is clueless on how to run a hospital.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Too many to mention
Feast of Famine
Acute Dialysis Unit Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 13, 2018
You can work ALOT of hours in the winter due to increased patient census but in warmer months when census dips, you do not get a full work week; your PTO is really hit hard!
OK Place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 6, 2018
UT Medical Center is a good place to work compared to other hospitals in Knoxville, TN. UT has very strict policies on call in's, and parking assignments and the pay is ok. $10/hour for CNAs and $18.50/hour for new Grad Registered Nurses.
Very low on staff short-handed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 30, 2018
The University of Tennessee in 2016 was a wonderful place to work once the oncoming people New Management started Staffing is Slim work hours are long and management undermines everyone that is not in management treating you as you you do not know anything very upsetting for me
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack of compassion for others
Productive, good place to work
Health Unit Coordinator, Mother/Baby Unit (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 17, 2018
Fast paced environment
Staff enjoyed working together
Little interaction with Management
Everyone was helpful and happy to be working together
Management disseminated information quickly to staff
the people was nice
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 12, 2018
the people where great there the work was easy but the hours where long... all in the the job was ok i have to take stuff to all parts of the hospital that was kind of nice....
Stressful and busy constantly
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 6, 2018
I hardly ever got a break and didn't like the work load. You're constantly on your feet. You are at the bottom on the list. The hours were long and the patient worth it.
great learning environment
Certified Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 1, 2018
Being the only Level 1 Trauma hospital in this area and serving the community with several Areas of Excellence, UTMCK is the best place to work if you work in healthcare or want to learn more about different occupations in healthcare. This is a teaching hospital and questions are welcomed and the environment is very patient-centered as well as conducive to learning. The nursing teams are collaborative in patient care and I would not want to be anywhere else if I were ill.
Pros
great benefits; learning environment
Cons
12 hour shifts
Horrible place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 24, 2018
I moved from another state and the compensation offered at UT was laughable. A $10. an hour difference. I thought the tuition reimbursement would make it worth the low pay, so I accepted the job. After I accepted, I found out that they will provide tuition reimbursement for management/business degrees, but NOT if you wanted to become a Nurse Practitioner. I was told that this was because they had "lost too many good RN's to become a NP". I worked dayshift, which was awful. No teamwork, pressure from unit managers to join committees that require additional work-for free (for example, the quality and safety board). Management was nonexistent and not supportive. After six months, I had had enough. I was so disappointed in this hospital, lack of leadership, and virtually no support.
Cons
Low pay, selective tuition reimbursement, no work/life balance
Solid company!
Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 21, 2018
Solid company! Great benefits and atmosphere. Constant paid training. Educational remembursment. Staff very helpful and works as a team. Left for career advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Tennessee Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Tennessee Medical Center Reviews by Location