University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Great fun place to work
Community Service Officer (CSO) (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 25, 2018
When i first started we were primarily parking enforcement. So typical day was walking parking lots all day, but after my second year there we didn't do parking enforcement anymore. We were mostly extra patrol for the campus for safety and security. Best part about the job was helping those that were stuck because their keys were locked in their car or their battery was dead, we would come and boost them off or unlock their car for them.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Pay, benefits
Good place to work and live
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 19, 2018
I start my work at 8:30 am and leave for home around 8:00 pm. I usually read papers and do some experiments during days. Sometime I have to take the seminar or meet with my advisor.
It's a nice place to work and live. I can have flexible time to balance my work and life. I have freedom to arrange my experiments. The hardest part of the job is I cannot perform my experiments because the equipment is out of work, which make me upset. The most enjoyable part of the job is I can obtain what I want from the experiments, i.e. good results or solving problems.
Family environment
Material Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Knoxville TennesseeSeptember 11, 2018
The greatest part about working at the University of Tennessee Facility Service Department was how everyone I worked around made me feel like family..
Pros
Family environment, paid time off, hour long lunch break and all kind of opportunities
Cons
Pay, and when the football team did bad
Project Intern (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 6, 2018
I worked with the facilities department, and they have some great people there. Just wish that the pay was higher, but more part it was a great job to be in.
Good place to go to school
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 4, 2018
I worked at UT because the benefits are amazing. I also am accustomed to the culture here at UT although it isn't for everyone. I find those who grew up in this area are probably more suited to the environment here. Its very conservative in all aspects.
Pros
Free Classes, Constantly Accruing PTO and Sick Days
Cons
Limited advancement in some departments
The University of Tennessee
Postdoc Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 1, 2018
The typical day of work was very satisfing. You were allowed to persue and acomplish tasks with minimal supervision. Managemant and the workplace were great. The hardest part of the job was to solicit money for research. Learning new skills was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Work Summary
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNAugust 14, 2018
I worked here for 3 years. Great retirement package and I had a very flexible boss. I was able to learn a great amount on the job and would work for UT again in the future.
Too much drama
Cook (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNAugust 13, 2018
Lots of drama, too much work for too little pay, not a lot of instruction.
Management played favorites didn't listen to employee complaints. Not a very good place to work.
Not fun
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 8, 2018
I worked for UT Lifestar who has separate management from the hospital staff. It was hard to fit in after most of the other staff had been there for 20 plus years.
Undergraduate, good experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 1, 2018
Good institution with supportive professors at a reasonable cost (given current rates for larger schools).. Highly recommend chemistry degree route if that's your cup of tea, the department is highly funded and has experienced professors (particularly Dr Steve Symes) that know how to help you figure it 'out'

Want to know more about University of Tennessee?

Ask a question
fun
Offensive Lineman (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 26, 2018
I played football there. It was an incredible experience and opportunity. Campus is a great environment to learn and grow as a individual. Football served as a microcosm to life.
They don’t show that they appreciate you.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 26, 2018
If you mess up one time out of a year you don’t get a raise. And they don’t care about your family your supposed to put your family last and u.t 1st. It shouldn’t be like that
Temporary laborer
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 25, 2018
the job was as a part time student worker. It was a job that was flexible enough to allow me to participate in my course work while helping pay rent money.
Love being a student worker
Spanish Supplemental Instruction Ripley Campus (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJuly 24, 2018
I tutored Spanish since Spring 2012, but was actually paid by the school as a supplemental instructor my final semester Fall 2014. I had to make lesson plans, hold group sessions, do one on one tutoring and attend every Spanish I class so I could stay up to date on what they were learning.
Pros
The students that utilized my service passed the class
Cons
I have none! I loved every second!!!!
Friendly Environment, Nice Place to Work
Administrative Assistant, Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 24, 2018
A great place to work. Friendly and professional people.
Job can be stressful at times.
Good benefits
Family oriented environment
Management is fair, for the most part.
Pros
Flexible working time, if needed
Cons
Pay could be a bit better
I enjoyed working as a CNA
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 23, 2018
I started working for UT in 2010 as a CNA. I loved my job, getting to meet people and help getting them better, along side a RN. It was a a great learning experience.
Pros
being with people helping get better
Cons
leaving
This is a awesome place to work.
Medical Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 20, 2018
I really enjoy working for the UTHSC. I work with diversity of all cultures. I have increased my knowledge of customer service through online classes and campus workshops.
Pros
full benefits
They take care of their employs very well and compensate for everyone
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 15, 2018
I think UT is a very friendly environment and everyone is a hard worker but it is something special because it is seen as the big orange family and thats how everyone treated each other as a family. There was nothing really wrong with it, I just happen to be moving for my own reason, but I would most definitely recommend this job to friends and family.
Pros
2 fifteen minuets break and 1 lunch
I would never suggest working there
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Veterinary collegeJuly 15, 2018
I worked there for 1 year and and was never given the time of day. I worked until midnight every night I was there and I had no benefits at all. Was told it would change and a year later Was let go. How things are handled are very political and as long as they are getting money, they do not care about their staff unless they have been there 10+ years. I would not recommend working there.
Cons
No lunch breaks if you work second shift
Positive Job Culture
Assistant to the Vice Chancellor of Communications (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 10, 2018
Working at a university is a very rewarding and interesting experience. There are many opportunities for advancement and development. In addition, tuition is free for current employees.