University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
I would never suggest working there
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Veterinary collegeJuly 15, 2018
I worked there for 1 year and and was never given the time of day. I worked until midnight every night I was there and I had no benefits at all. Was told it would change and a year later Was let go. How things are handled are very political and as long as they are getting money, they do not care about their staff unless they have been there 10+ years. I would not recommend working there.
Cons
No lunch breaks if you work second shift
Positive Job Culture
Assistant to the Vice Chancellor of Communications (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 10, 2018
Working at a university is a very rewarding and interesting experience. There are many opportunities for advancement and development. In addition, tuition is free for current employees.
student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJuly 9, 2018
Wonderful place to work. Great team work experience, managing patients long term care needs. I have enjoyed help those's that need with there medication. Least enjoyable must be micromanage and high stress environment.
Productive and encouraging environment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38163July 5, 2018
Manage the administration of day-to-day functions for the Molecular Resource Center, the self-funded Institutional Core Labs, the Cancer Research Building, and the Translational Science Research Building; manage the finances, account payables, account receivables, budgets, contracts, equipment inventory, surveys and reports, time approval, approval of all State and grant expenses and other financial functions.
Pros
Great educational benefits
Cons
No flex schedule
Getting Paid for Grad school
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 3, 2018
I was a teaching assistant and a research assistant. I enjoyed both aspects. I got paid to learn. A great place to go to grad school and work. Knoxville is also very nice.
Safe place to work
IT Technologist III (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 2, 2018
A safe secure place to work, but a typical public sector job. Low turnover rate means slow promotions. You often have to change departments to advance your career.
Political and cut-throat
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 1, 2018
The manager was unqualified but very controlling. The politics drove decisions more than anything else. The co-workers were either too inexperienced and immature, or too old and set in their ways. This is not a good place for a non-political non-entry-level professional. I have been thrown under the bus too many times by both co-workers and fellow management/boss. I would steer clear.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Politics, Culture
Fun place to work if you are in the right department
Office of Diversity Programs (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 30, 2018
I love the students and events that our office hosted. I loved the free swag and gear received. My director was awesome. I really enjoyed the students and the office that I worked for
Pros
Free lunches, Free swag
Cons
No room for advancement. Parking
Very political and unprofessional
Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 29, 2018
I was disappointed with the delusional airs of grandeur of the management. Also, my coworkers were extremely immature, mean, and unprofessional. My manager was unqualified but very manipulative and exhibited favoritism. Although the benefits were great, the overall atmosphere was unbearable. This might be a bit different if working on the teaching side of things but the administration side is awful.
Pros
Vacation, Retirement
Cons
Poor management, politics
Fun work experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJune 26, 2018
As an intern, I was able to learn a lot about ABA by observing the BCBA, and getting some hands on experience. It was a rewarding experience to see so many of the kids progress in the time frame of my internship.
Good place to work; everyone in our office got along well
Accounting-Budget Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 23, 2018
A staff of (females, physicians, lab tech, researchers, nurses, etc.); I learned a lot! Management was fair; of on-the-job training; great benefits
Workplace Culture
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 20, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at UT Sports Medicine but like many workplaces it lacked in a few areas including communication, organization, and compensation.
I love working for UT and Le Bonheur children's hospital
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 19, 2018
It's a good time, I enjoy every day working there, meeting lots of great family's. My colleagues are great, and in general the whole work environment is very positive.
Pros
Ten minute drive to work.
Cons
not getting paid enough.
Teamwork and friendly atmosphere.
Trainer/Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 16, 2018
Had two great supervisors and one that was forced to resign for misuse of funds and harassment. So personal experience was negative but overall impression of university is good.
Pros
Autonomy and coworkers
Cons
HR didn't act on complaints about supervisor behavior
So much fun
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 13, 2018
Being a part of the Honors College and mentoring Honors College freshmen is a very fun and learning experience. You learn to work with over 30 different personalities and help each one of them in a specific way to fit their needs, and helping helping the dean can give you opportunities not given to other students on the campus.
Great if you are planning a career in Public Relations
Member (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 12, 2018
The PRSSA is a great on campus group to join if you are planning a career in Public Relations. It enables you to do actual PR work and beef up your resume before graduation.
Easy and relaxed
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 11, 2018
Friendly coworkers and laid back work environment. Work load was not plenty and had excellent managers and advisers. I only did summer intern work but would recommend it to anyone.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 11, 2018
Very accommodating to student schedules. Great work experience in many research areas. Can work during semester part time or full time during the summer.
A nice place you can put all the vehicles in.
Materials Data Clerk (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 8, 2018
You do inventory,unload trucks,and check paperwork in.There are good managers,and you learn to do things on the computer.The hardest part of the job is to keep up where you put everything you unloaded or checked in.The best part of the job is to get everything checked in by the end of the day.
Pros
Excellent benefits, hour lunch.
Cons
Bad weather bangs in more trucks
Very nice environment to work
Research Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 6, 2018
The employees are loving and willing to help at anytime. They are accommodating especially being a new employee. The managers are friendly and willing to listen to your input on decisions.
Pros
Never a boring time because there are new projects
Cons
You must be willing to work