University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Big school on tradition
Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 13, 2018
Working at the University of Tennessee is about what you would expect. Lots of big wigs with power and an agenda driven by state politicians and the board of trustees. There are some great HR benefits working here and lots of good programs for employees but the school is very much a rigid system so if you work here in any department expect to be expected to do things a certain way even if you aren't given specific directions.
Volunteer, not employedj
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 12, 2018
I spent considerable time at the library. I enjoyed the work as I was left alone a lot to check in books or put them away. Very easy and gave me time to destress.
Employment was too long ago
Adjunct instructor in political science (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNNovember 9, 2018
I was employed for one semester in 2002 as an adjunct instructor for political science at the University of Tennessee at Martin. Therefore, I consider my experience to be to long in the past to be pertinent.
Great atmosphere to work in
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNNovember 8, 2018
Enjoyed the job but management at the time was not very supportive of his employees. Overall campus feel is like a family. Support is given from one department to another
Awesome place to work
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 7, 2018
coordinate with peers in the morning and work on projects in the afternoon. It was really laid back. If you do your job you have nothing to worry about
Like it
Senior Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 3, 2018
I did like working at the university with one exception; the pay was not good but the benefits were. They do care about their employees and try to have nice things for them.
Mostly Good
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 30, 2018
Given that there are not many job opportunities in the area if have a doctorate, this is good place to work. Salaries are not always in line with education or experience, depends on budget.
Great Co-Workers
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 28, 2018
In the case of this particular employer the best part of every working day was the collegial interaction with co-workers. Management, for the most part, was ineffectual.
This box should not be required for me.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 27, 2018
My experience at UTK was too limited and MUCH too long ago to be relevant to anyone now. In fact it was so long ago, they told me that UTK no longer recognizes my degree from there, so if I wanted to return to school, I'd have to re-earn the degree I have rather than advance to the next one.
Good place
USA, Volunteer Italian Tutor (Former Employee) –  Knox County, TNOctober 17, 2018
Workplace Culture

University of Tennessee is good place to learn Italian language. there are classes of Italian cinema, Italian literature and cooking class.
Large state university
Associate Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 15, 2018
Working at UTK in admissions was a low-point of my career. Even as my alma mater, working there was not a fulfilling experience. I learned a lot about myself and what I could endure, but I did not feel valued or appreciated.
Challenging but rewarding
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2018
Every day was different. Some days were spent researching others grading papers. Culture was competitive. Each department is different, but senior academics for the most part care about their students and employees.
Pros
Academic discounts
Cons
Academic advancement
Math TA ship
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 12, 2018
I held a teaching assistantship in the math department at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga while obtaining my Master's. Great department, growing school.
Great Place to work
Student Disability Services Principal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2018
Great place to work especially for those interested in higher education. Great education and family benefits. Opportunities for training and advancement are always available.
Positive and Negative feedback on working for UT
Administrative Assistant - Temporary Help Pool (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 8, 2018
A typical day of work was answering phones, providing administrative assistance with Microsoft Office by creating spreadsheet and comprising documents and correspondence, scheduling of meetings, event planning and project organization. I did not have a full-time position with the university even though I applied for many full-time positions and have a degree from UT. Instead of hiring someone who gave their all for Tennessee it was more important to have a more diverse culture therefore people who had not been affiliated with UT in any capacity were afforded the opportunity to work there. Human Resources felt that although I had graduated from UT, I was only qualified for temporary help to different departments when needed, therefore, what I learned was that loyalty did not exist and that was the hardest part of the job. Many of the departments for which I worked were very positive but there were a few that where the staff was extremely rude. The most enjoyable part of the job that although it was on a temporary basis I had the opportunity to represent my alma mater until I realized that the feeling was not mutual.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Lack of recognition for a job well done and most importantly a lack of respect by management.
Academia
Water Quality Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 7, 2018
Academic environment typical of universities. Highly respected engineering department with diverse research activities ranging from geotechnical materials, transportation, urban watersheds, and environmental water quality.
Lack of opportunities & poor treatment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 5, 2018
Department directors will mistakenly enter you into the system, causing loss of employment.

Department supervisors will say they will call you back for each availability but will not, and when asked about the opportunities, state that the jobs were given to students (when you are in fact also a student).

Department supervisors also include personal differences in the treatment of their employees.

Some program managers will not even schedule you even though they said they will.

Professors lack knowledge in the subject material and get defensive when questions are asked of them to clarify material.
I'd rather work elsewhere
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 4, 2018
i cleaned public areas and bathrooms all day, it was common sense really on how to clean. hardest part is going everyday to hear people complain not even 30 minutes on the clock. personally good days are rare, but i guess it depends on the department you in
Working as a Housekeeper at The University of Tennessee
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 27, 2018
The University of Tennessee was a good place to work for the summer. As a 21 year old college student, working 8 hours daily starting at 7am and working until 3:30 was not the ideal situation, but it was hours. Honestly, the pay is decent. It could be more, but then again it's over the minimum wage so i'm not complaining. The hours during the summer at some buildings can be hectic. But overall, my supervisor was the most amazing manager/supervisor ever and is very easy to talk to and not that stressful. BUT, during the summer it can be stressful. Just prepare for what type of cleaning you can be doing, because even if the building is clean... you are still going to be cleaning the clean things.
Pros
The hours are always there.
Cons
Not enough breaks, the pay could be more, sometimes can be very stressful.
Good place to work as RA
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 27, 2018
Good place to work, the work life balance is great. You can cooperate with many talented people.
However, the payment is just ok. You can live with it though.