University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

An Amazing Place to Work
Writing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Martin, TNJanuary 16, 2019
I love who I work with and I love my boss. Everyone is typically in a good mood and they are always eager to help. I continue to learn more about my craft every day and I am encouraged to do so. The hardest part is the students; sometimes they can be unpredictable and it may lead to an uncomfortable situation, but overall they are very pleasant to work with.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Have to be full-time to receive benefits
Great Perks and Benefits
Accounting Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 16, 2019
I love working for UT, the benefits are great and works well with me being a single mom.
I have learned a lot about different cultures. I don't get to travel so I don't necessarily get to see the world. We live in such a small part of the world.
I've learned more about VISA's, hiring people from other countries.
My work load seems like a lot but I came from a larger department at UT so I know how to prioritize and I'm efficient. My work load consist of: New Hire paperwork; posting job positions for the department; I-9 everification, processing J-1 Visa's and H-1B Visa's; biweekly and monthly time entry; over see seminar speakers and process their travel; receive and pay invoices; take care of the travel for the students, staff, and faculty for the department; pay changes for student, staff, and faculty; assist with anyone and everyone who needs assistance; deposits; petty cash reimbursements; and I'm backup for the purchasing and receiving of packages.
Cons
Parking
Fun work place and productive
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 8, 2019
As a referee, you must be able to keep up with fast pace games. The atmosphere of college students playing sports for fun is always great to watch. I learned how important it is to have intramurals in college life because it can be a great way to be active!
A great work environment
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 8, 2019
Object and success oriented per day. I learned how to be a better communicator. I discovered that I have a passion for growing agricultural crops. The culture was great and the managers were forgiving when mistakes were made. The people made the daily operations and job enjoyable.
Loved it
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJanuary 7, 2019
Loved working there sad I had to leave but it was my time to go. I would gladly recommend this job to anyone out there. Just work hard Abe follow the rules and you will go far
Loved it
Referee Official (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 31, 2018
I worked in intramurals and it was perfect for what I needed. It worked perfectly with school and I thoroughly enjoyed the people I met and made plenty of friends along the way.
Good place for educATION
Student (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 30, 2018
Was A student in their Masters in Nursing program. Excellent teachers, Excellent professors. Education there resulted in an excellent round of job opportunities.
Limited advancement options. Drama.
Administrative Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 10, 2018
Working as an administrative assistant you have limited ways you can be promoted. Very little pay raises or advancement. Overall not a bad company to work for as far as benefits go.
Curso Biologia
Aprendiz (Former Employee) –  KnoxvilleNovember 28, 2018
Eu aprendi a introdução a biologia , com diversas aulas praticas , além de zoologia e morfologia com animais vertebrados e invertebrados entre diversas outras materias durante o curso que durou aproximadamente 4 meses.
Pros
conhecimento
Cons
curto prazo
Careful of Stagnation
IT Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 27, 2018
A University environment is unique. A hard charging type individual will find slow periods difficult. Also, many of the "supervisors" have never worked outside of UTK.....and it certainly shows. Co-workers with attendance issues and work-life balance problems are rampant with little or no repercussions. You can easily get stuck with poor leadership and ineffective co-workers. Salaries can also stagnate for years at a time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad supervisors and subpar staff can rarely be dismissed.
It was good while it lasted
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Lower Lake, CANovember 20, 2018
I only worked there for them for a short amount of time as a contractor, and with a few people. my supervisor was very pleasant and made sure my duties were straight forward. The hardest part was working at a field station with no wifi and nearly no service everywhere.
No Equity
Assistant Professor- Department of Education (Current Employee) –  Martin, TNNovember 14, 2018
UT Martin is a good place to work, but the salary and course load equity is not fair across campus that is the reason I am looking for another position.
Pros
Awesome Faculty, great students
Cons
Salary and Courseload Equity
Big school on tradition
Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 13, 2018
Working at the University of Tennessee is about what you would expect. Lots of big wigs with power and an agenda driven by state politicians and the board of trustees. There are some great HR benefits working here and lots of good programs for employees but the school is very much a rigid system so if you work here in any department expect to be expected to do things a certain way even if you aren't given specific directions.
Volunteer, not employedj
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 12, 2018
I spent considerable time at the library. I enjoyed the work as I was left alone a lot to check in books or put them away. Very easy and gave me time to destress.
Employment was too long ago
Adjunct instructor in political science (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNNovember 9, 2018
I was employed for one semester in 2002 as an adjunct instructor for political science at the University of Tennessee at Martin. Therefore, I consider my experience to be to long in the past to be pertinent.
Great atmosphere to work in
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNNovember 8, 2018
Enjoyed the job but management at the time was not very supportive of his employees. Overall campus feel is like a family. Support is given from one department to another
Awesome place to work
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 7, 2018
coordinate with peers in the morning and work on projects in the afternoon. It was really laid back. If you do your job you have nothing to worry about
Like it
Senior Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 3, 2018
I did like working at the university with one exception; the pay was not good but the benefits were. They do care about their employees and try to have nice things for them.
Mostly Good
Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 30, 2018
Given that there are not many job opportunities in the area if have a doctorate, this is good place to work. Salaries are not always in line with education or experience, depends on budget.
Great Co-Workers
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 28, 2018
In the case of this particular employer the best part of every working day was the collegial interaction with co-workers. Management, for the most part, was ineffectual.