University of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Awful
Knoxville - Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 18, 2018
Working at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville as a graduate student is stressful. You are vastly underpaid for the amount of work that you put in, and as soon as you finish one task, 8 more appear.
Pros
Cons
Zero work-life balance
Not a bad place
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 17, 2018
Quite a stressful environment a the University of Tennessee. The staff is very conservative and set in their ways, especially in the arts. Students are significantly overworked and in all the wrong areas.
serious about what they do
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 12, 2018
I was really just getting into the swing of things before I left. I learned a ton from my colleagues, and the staff is really friendly and helpful. I think it takes time to learn how to balance job work/life. I was a lecturer at my alma mater where I started as a graduate teaching assistant, so there was not much further that I could advance, according to university policies.
Pros
pays decently per course
Cons
feels like you're always working
Very educational and fun
Genetics lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 10, 2018
On a daily basis, i would have to search through mounds of pressed dried plants and glue them to special paper for storing in the herbarium. The hardest part was dealing with gluing the Carex genus down on paper.
The University of Tennessee was an excellent experience.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 7, 2018
I worked as a work study student at the University of Tennessee. I was put in a role that related to my major and enjoyed my job. The job involved 3D print, laser cutting, microcontrollers, and woodworking. I worked to support students in their engineering projects - which was the best and worst part of the job. Some students were not proactive and wanted me to do the work for them a few days before their due date. Other students worked hard and managed their time well enough to have successful projects.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
demanding environment at several times a year
UT provided an excellent benefits package
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 7, 2018
The work day and work week were always very busy and the other worker's at UT were always very helpful and nice to work with. There were times when the job was stressful.
Great study experience with perceptive faculties
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 5, 2018
Great place to work and study, and the faculties and staff are nice. The campus is north facing the Tennessee River, it is always pleasing to walk along the greenway at the riverside.
Productive work environment
Administrative Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 5, 2018
I enjoy working at the University of Tennessee. I originally worked on the Ag Campus and transferred to the Main Campus. A typical day is "hitting the ground running" and meeting with the Dean to go over the tasks that need to be accomplished that day while also planning for scheduled special events.
Working at University of Tennessee
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 2, 2018
I would love to go back to the University to work. I had a stroke and my health forced me to resign, but I miss it and think about working there again a lot.
Pros
time off for sick leave and personal leave, longevity pay after 3 years
Cons
parking
The Univ. of TN as Senior Secretary
Senior Secretary of the DCCT (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 2, 2018
I enjoyed working with six doctors and the health team to coordinate patients schedules and to give them the best benefits. I worked with Microsoft Word and Excel. I set appointments, scheduled testing, data entry, inventory control, memo's and letters, customer service, and filing.
Pros
Worked with a well educated team
Cons
cost of living

Want to know more about University of Tennessee?

Ask a question
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 21, 2018
I enjoyed working here and had a wonderful manager. They provide an adequate amount of sick days and vacation days. The schedule was good for family time.
My point of view of the company is that It was a pretty good company to work there.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 21, 2018
My job was very busy most day. I knew my job well because of the length of time that I was there. Management is like most company, I work with a diverse group of people which I enjoyed working with and learning about there culture. I didn't believe that there was a hard part of my job, I love what I was doing, The university made sure that if you wanted to further your education they would provide that for you. Offer different activity for the employees.
Laid back environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 20, 2018
This job was easy to do, most of the time you could just sit at the desk and do your homework or watch Netflix. Depending on which part of campus you may or may not have a great supervisor, I was fortunate to have a great supervisor all three years.
Great place to work !!
Distant Learning Tech & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jackson Tn.March 12, 2018
I was a work study student. I enjoyed being able to work at the front desk greeting people and helping students. I later was given the chance to be a Distant Learning tech. The hardest part of my job was giving it up when I graduated !!! I helped the director call prospective students as well as work enrollment events. I love UTM!!
Pros
I could also read and study when times were slow.
Cons
Low pay 7.25
Competitive workplace but extremely gratifying
Bone Processor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 12, 2018
Volunteered for the University as a bone processor. Worked with human remains and sterilized them for study. Handled and properly disposed of biohazards. Studied and handled human cadavers in different stages of decomposition. Sterilized instruments and lab before closing. Wrote daily report and time sheet.
Pros
learning every day
Cons
No pay and only temp work
Great Supervisor
Student Manager/Call Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 10, 2018
The supervisor is really great! He is definitely willing to work with people on their schedule! The job was pretty easy as long as you paid attention during the training. The manual has all the answers anyone would ever need.
Employment
Employed at Lynnhurst Cemetery as receptionist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 9, 2018
Loved the excitement of working in maintenance department . Was through temp service but would go back in heart beat. Very laid back, hard working boses
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Temporary
Lgbtqia+
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 7, 2018
Working within the Pride Center has offered an opportunity to grow and thrive within the community and provide resources and other outlets for LGBTQIA+ students.
Productive workplace
Student Worker-Secretary (Current Employee) –  Martin, TNMarch 5, 2018
Each workday allows me to complete most if not all task set out for the day, management is good. An overall great work environment very easy pace, the job is also very easy.
Produced parts for teams
Machine shop student worker (Current Employee) –  Martin, TNMarch 2, 2018
I aided other students to prepare their designs for machining processes. Used InventorCam to generate applicable G-code for parts that required CNC machining,