University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Great place to have a student job
Building Monitor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
I really appreciated the flexibility I was given as a part-time student worker. My managers were always understanding and prioritized my school work over my work schedule. While I was never offered any form of career advancement, it was because I was a part-time worker.
Large institution with opportunity
Corporal/Detective, Threat Mitigation Unit (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2018
The university is large allowing you to move to a different unit it problems with management. Great benefits. Great environment to work in. Lots of opportunities.
Fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 13, 2018
Duties included memorizing combinations of drink recipes and working in a high stress environment to produce high quality products, serving food, effective communication with customers; managers and co-workers, resolving customer complaints, cash handling and till operation, closing down procedure such as cleaning and cashing up. Very fun and relaxed work environment.
Pros
Free dinners
Great place to work and study
Doctoral Fellow and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2018
As a doctoral student at UT, the TA opportunities are amazing. Depending on the professor, you may get the opportunity to help develop the curriculum, lead discussions, and give lectures. There is a lot of grading, and office hours, but that too can be quite rewarding.
Great supportive culture
PEER ADVISER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2018
Worked in the advising office for work study while in school. Enjoyed it immensely. Worked relatively independently. Great supervisors, but I got the sense from them that the pay wasn't as competitive as could be (but maybe I was wrong). Would recommend.
Pros
Independence and job satisfaction, supportive team
Cons
part time work-study
Sr. Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2018
Though it's a large bureaucracy, once you find a niche department it's easy to feel like that's the whole thing. Being on/around campus is nice. Lots of benefits for staff.
Great Work/Life Balance
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2018
I enjoy working in a healthcare field on a college campus. Great Work/Life Balance. Great benefits. It is nice having weekends, Winter Break, and most national holidays off.
Pros
Nice place to work. Job security. Great benefits.
Cons
On campus parking is difficult; must pay for parking
Working for Orientation is a busy job, but it is rewarding to meet new people.
Orientation Staff (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2018
I worked for two summers with Orientation, and I enjoyed my time. SUpervisors were nice, the co-workers you get are diverese and willing to learn. Overall, welcoming students to UT is the most rewarding thing, letting them know that you are in a great university.
Productive and fun place to work
Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2018
Very flexible hours and a fun work environment. Easy to change hours and work around your school hours. Great way to learn more things and meet many different people.
Good for money for school
FRI (Freshman Research Initiative) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 5, 2018
Worked for two professors to make money to afford school. Nothing to complain about, typical school job. Professors I worked under were very relaxed, but every job is dependent on the professor. Work for professors you know, that's the only way you can get a student job there anyways.
Working in the library while getting my degree was a blast!
PCL Check-out Desk GRA (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 4, 2018
I really enjoyed how much everyone in Circulation Services and Reference care about each other and about improving patrons' experiences. It was (and still is) like a family to me. The supervisors of the front desk work really hard to help student workers improve and are very understanding of emergencies. I greatly improved my interpersonal skills and enjoyed working with researchers and other patrons from diverse backgrounds. The most frustrating part of the job was having our front desk "streamlined" (work force cut) by administrators who do not understand what we do and do not care to ask. Overall, this was one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had.
Pros
Great bosses, often free treats and swag in the kitchen, because librarians love to share
Cons
Sometimes patrons can be particularly entitled
Tennis Team Manager
Manger for UT Tennis team (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2018
Any low ratings I've left were simply because I was working a student job that's there just to let students make a little money without destroying their schedule. For instance, there wasn't much chance for advancement because there were only 3 jobs connected to mine. One being the actual coaches of the tennis team which is not something you should advance to after just stringing racquets and the head manager, who was there to coordinate the other managers and there has been one person who has had that job since its existence a few years ago.
This was a great job for me as a student and I appreciate everything the team did for me.
Pros
Super Flexible
Cons
Not a ton of hours
Being a TA is fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2018
Had the opportunity to serve the university and get paid. I learned by teaching and felt like I grew with my students. Professor worked with me so I could grade assignments and was a pleasure to work with. Hookem!
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 31, 2018
Very good job. Hours are not bad and the pay is good, for the amount of time invested. Managers are very helpful. Some good connections were made during my time as a TA.
Pros
own office and desk, great relationship with manager
Cons
n/a
Productive and fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE, VISITOR SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Austin TXJuly 30, 2018
The University Co-Op is a great place to work. The folk are in general friendly, helpful and is a busy place to work. Typically there is a lot of hustle and bustle to make a sale or re-stock an item just the right way. This is a great place for you to go and hang amongst a large number of folk.
Campus-wide culture has pockets for improvement
Director of Student Affairs, Full-time MBA Program (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 29, 2018
For the most part the culture at the university is friendly, fun while also paced to discipline, serious and mission friendly. There are certain places that need help with community culture and creating an atmosphere for success.
Academic Intervention Coach (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 27, 2018
Persistent development, change, and increasing drive. Working for this company has helped develope my professional educational skills as well as my personal life.
Great environment
Military Science Advisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2018
A typical day at work included interacting with 100 student cadets. I learned many things from the cadets as they came from different backgrounds. Management was superior and the workplace culture was very disciplined. The hardest part of the job was rating the cadets; the easiest part of the job was teaching.
good university
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 24, 2018
The University of Texas at Austin is a great university for civil engineering. It has great facilities, experienced professors, and state-of-the-art laboratories.
Good environment
Building Attendant 2 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2018
Working here was a good experience. Good environment, meet new people, learning new things. The work wasn't too much, but it probably needs a better work method.