University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Great place to be a teaching assistant
Data Science Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 17, 2018
I have been a teaching assistant for multiple classes. So far, I have had only great experiences. Typical days involve grading homework, grading quizzes, holding office hours, etc...
Pros
Job while being student
Cons
Can be time consuming
Productive fun place with great benefits
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 12, 2018
The University of Texas was a great place to work at. I learned many skills that I would like to take to my next job. The management was great and always there for their employees.
Great places to work
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2018
Offers a variety of job opportunities and strong leadership. You will be challenged but always supported in your job growth. Highly recommended to work here.
University accommodations run by children
Barista (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 10, 2018
No matter where you find yourself working at UT the same story will apply. You will interview with people who tell you that the work environment is everything you'd want in an easy job. They'll assure you that you wont take this work home with you and you'll have plenty of free time to take advantage of their free class per semester policy for full time employees. This couldn't be further from the truth! I work from 6:00am to 5:30pm Monday through Friday then I drive over an hour home through the thick Austin traffic. I have tried time and time again to reduce my working hours but unfortunately I'm good at my job and they refuse to hire help for me so I have to stay to pick up the slack. The professors are rude and entitled, they'll try to take advantage of you at every opportunity. Upper management will tell you that you should act like you own where you work then completely undermine their policies that you were enforcing. The students are understandably stressed and rude. They hit on you non-stop and when it isn't recprocated you are the one at fault. I have been reprimanded for "being rude" when all I did was tell the student that not only is it against the company policy for employees to date student but that I wasn't interested. Then I was told the following, "Don't break the rules, but make sure their happy." I refuse to be bought and sold at my job, I refuse to play these political games.
Pros
free meal per day
Cons
no breaks, standing all day, incompetent coworkers, lack of support, unorganized, backward policies.
good place to study and work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 2, 2018
- Austin is a fantastic and beautiful city/town to live in
- UT has a big campus and lots of activities/fun to enjoy
- working life balance is very good
Great University
Scientist Associate I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Worked for the civil engineering department for several professors. Was a great environment to work for, learning was a top priority for the research performed.
Great Institution to work for, No Upward Mobility for POC
Regional Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 25, 2018
UT in some departments pays well and the benefits are great, however, within the office of admissions there is little to no upward mobility for certain POC. Supervisors keep responsibilities to themselves which does not allow lower level employees to gain the necessary skills or experiences to advance. Unless you are one of the chosen individuals they select to share responsibilities with. It creates an unfair work environment where some employees are offered the tools to advance and others are reduced to scavenging for any opportunity enhance themselves professionally. This behavior leads to heavy turnover and the loss of great and capable young employees.
Nice place for graduate school
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2018
UT is an excellent school for graduate study. Austin is a very livable city. University does care about its students. The career service is beneficial in supporting students.
Understanding culture with great workspace
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2018
The new EER building is well built with lots of seating for GRAs and individual labs for each research group. This gives GRAs ample space to work in. Moreover, the faculty is very helpful.
No career advancement
HHMI, Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 16, 2018
No career advancement
No personal growth support
Low salary and long working hours

Good core (experimental) resources
Some departmental activities
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 13, 2018
My review is not about University of Texas at Austin, but it is about certain professor and the lab that I worked at school of social work. The work was fun and relaxing. The professor was amazing, supportive, and respectful.
Good flexible work to add working life
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2018
These were part-time and temporary jobs that kept me going while I was trying to start my career. I appreciate the diversity of jobs available through UT, especially entry-level.
Pros
Walking distance
Cons
Low wages
Good research institute
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Very good research institutes with good facilities. Strong connections with institutes such as national labs and other universities. Many professors and graduate researchers.
Passionate teams
Graduate Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2018
Great learning experience with the coaching staff. People are extremely passionate about Texas sports. The work/school/life balance was difficult but manageable.
good school to study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 31, 2018
good professors, learn many classes related to engineering. parking space is somewhat limited, friendly students, good restaurants nearby, nice weather
Terrible place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2018
My experience working at UT was horrible. It is a bureaucratic institution with little to no regard for work contributions. The culture is outdated and extremely hierarchical. Would not recommend anyone to work in a place such as UT.
Best for temporary work
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2018
Budgets continually cut-positions often terminated. Longevity of positions are not always merit based. The dean often makes termination decisions based on the financial bottom line.
Pros
Good fringe benefits
Cons
Positions regularly cut
Inconsistent Management
Administration (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 24, 2018
Management philosophies and skills vary greatly within departments leading to inconsistent application across department employees. Payrate is typically less than market rate but benefits and retirement for staff are great.
benefits
Cons
work environment
Laid back work culture
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 20, 2018
Pretty laid back work culture
Understanding and friendly supervisor
Flexible hours for student workers

Most of the job duties consist of cleaning and organizing study rooms.
No Comment (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
I wish they would subsidize the parking for employees. The management is hands off and has faith in their staff to do their jobs. There is always something happening.