University of Texas at Austin Employee Reviews

Lack of training related to the job directly
Assistant Director/Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2019
Too much human resources work being done in the center. Takes away from the initial directors job. Job should not have so much to do with Human Resources, the directors should bee focused on directing not all the human resources aspects.
Unforgettable Six Year Milestone
Content Creator, Video Editor, Audio Producer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 8, 2019
Attending the University was unimaginable beforehand and exceeded my expectations. The surrounding student culture of which is accumulated by the widely diverse alumni was unescapable. The professionalism within every individual I've met was made obvious and complimented how down to Earth and how humble they were beneath the surface. The faculty and staff is stellar and were as entertaining and insightful. The organization the academic structure never made more sense and never showed more promise. The system and workload is well above average but is fair in terms of learning and adapting to the lifestyles each student hopes to live in the future. Help was always given whenever the request was given. The hardest times were the collision of assignments and exams of multiple courses on the same days. Juggling and maintaining a complex schedule was something to be learned to say the least. On the bright side, making friends and connections was just as easy and rewarding. Nowhere else have I felt more welcomed and urged to partake in everyday activities and adventures.
Pros
Lessons learned, Friendship, Hobbies, Quality Life
Cons
Heavy Workloads, Daily Multitasking, Frequent Failure, Self Awareness
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Hazardous Waste Manager (Former Employee) –  Travis County, TXFebruary 7, 2019
Unique opportunity to conduct hazardous waste management research on a number of important Superfund sites from across the United States. Worked with highly trained professionals who were very stimulating.
Reputable University that needs a lot of improvement in work ethic and performance reviews.
Temporary Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 7, 2019
There is a true lack in work ethic and a sense of pride in certain areas of the University. There are some very good and efficient employees that hold true to values which should be followed better at such a prestigious University
Hard to rise up within the organization if you are staff
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2019
There is a clear separation between faculty and staff with faculty being held in highest regard and staff treated as secondary servants. With a good, faculty boss, it is possible to feel like you're making a difference and not simply a pencil pusher, but within the academic, student-facing departments, it's hard to not feel like your work is not valued.
Pros
great healthcare, retirement packages, work/life balance
Cons
you're just a cog in a machine
Great job and advancement opportunities for administrative work
Library System - Accounting Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 3, 2019
Laid back and easy to learn new tasks. Many opportunities to learn online and take scheduled short learning classes. Work with other professionals in many different fields of research.
Working At UT
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2019
My job had multiple responsibilities so one day was not the same as the next. The management was amazing and made me feel very welcomed. The hardest part of the job was coming up with solutions to issues that arose in the department, but with the amazing management and coworkers around me, they made it easy to brainstorm ideas and find the best solution possible.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
had to eat lunch at desk most days
Fun Camp
Computer science camp intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I took my first real programing class during my junior year of high school and loved it, so I applied to the UT summer computer science camp in hopes of exploring the different career options in the field of Computer Science. Luckily I was accepted into the camp and was given the opportunity to spend a week learning about computer science at the University of Texas. During camp, we got to take apart computers, tour the facilities, listen to lectures given by UT professors, go on a field trip to a local tech company, work with a small group to complete a programming project in c++ and talk to countless women in the field about their everyday work life. This camp was a life changing opportunity. One thing that stood out was everyone from the tech industry worked at a completely different kind of company; there were people working at google, capital one, the CIA and more. I discovered there are so many unique paths you can take with a computer science degree. The field of computer science combines problem solving, collaboration and technology; the perfect combination for my personality.
Good place to work at
Student (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 27, 2019
Very good place to learn and work with leading minds in the fields. Lots to learn, lots to work. Would work there any time. Professors are very good, and leaders in the field.
law enforcement
Guard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2019
if you are looking to become a police officer this is a great place to start. Paid academy and overtime is mandatory. good people and great benefits
Great for Student Work
Student Assistant/Student Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Working as a student at UT was great. It allowed me to make money while still being close enough to campus to experience the college life and continue my studies on pace.
Ut cdc
Lead Teacher, Preschool (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2019
No training, thrown into classrooms
Directors weren't helpful with issues with students and parents
Lack of accountability
Lots of breakdowns in communication between teachers and directors
Pros
It's a job
Cons
They don't care about you
Great benefits at a large state organization
Event Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2019
I worked at a small office that was a non-profit arm of the university. Our organization is managed by a not very active Board of Directors, which is both a positive and negative.
Pros
Small team with flexible shedule and great benefits
Cons
Commute
No Information to provide
Manager - ITS Warehouse Operations UT Austin (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Work life at the University is great and the people here are friendly and work well together. Good insurance and work/home life is great once you leave work that is it until the next day.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Antiquated systems.
Amazing experience working with a great team
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2019
I greatly enjoyed my experience working as a student orientation leader. The managers over me were kind, understanding, yet firm when necessary. The hours were long but overall greatly enjoyed alongside great people.
Pros
Free dinner
Great Place to Work
MECHANIC II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Enjoy working for UT. Plan to retire from here. The work environment is enjoyable and am able to live close to the school. The city is great with a great atmosphere.
Gardner / landscape foreman
Gardner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2019
The University is a beautiful place externally. Once you get inside the workplace environment, especially the Facilities Department, managerial problems will kill your drive to work or be productive. Life inside the day to day is excruciatingly mentally and physically draining. The upward advancement is based off a who-you-know basis and does not empower advancement using education or work experience in consideration. Every day is a bully filled reminder of what happens when you work for a state institution that cannot fire the upper management and therefore you will become stagnant of new ideas and become a yes man.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Management, H.R., upward mobility
I was a teaching assistant at UT, and earned my Master's there.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2019
I taught in the broadcast journalism sequence. My mentors (professionally and academically) were excellent. It was especially rewarding to work with a small, dedicated group of students.
Worked as summer orientation advisor, would recommend.
Family Orientation Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 24, 2018
I worked for the University of Texas at Austin as an Orientation Advisor for the summer orientation sessions. My work consisted of helping orientation activities run smoothly. Management was well run, and the workplace was relaxed. The hardest part was managing all the attendees of the event and responding in a timely manner to new posts. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with new people.
great stable work enviroment
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Center, TXDecember 18, 2018
This was a great place to work. I learned a lot about other engineering fields and systems. The people I worked with were great help and friendly. I would recommend this as a good career choice.
Pros
good benefits strong working relationships
Cons
the job depended on outside contracts my position was eliminated.