University of Texas at Dallas Employee Reviews

Great place to work and retire
Richardson TX Plumber (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 5, 2018
I worked there for almost a year and it was very relaxed. I enjoyed going home everyday at 4pm clean. My coworkers were helpful and collaborative. There are many benefits including paid time of, remember this is a school so when holidays come around they give you generous time off ESPECIALLY during Christmas break, expect almost 2 weeks off paid!
Pros
Work vehicles and any tools you need to complete the job, benefits benefits benefits!!!
Cons
paid once a month and you have to pay for parking
Relaxed slow paced job
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2018
The usual teaching job with student interactions, some administrative jobs as well. Workplace culture is good, nice colleagues. The hardest part is when sometime some of the decisions are taken by the higher authority without consulting the relevant person. The most enjoyable part is to be able to share your knowledge and to see the students grow as persons and as a student and succeeding in their career and lives.
Pros
relaxed, slow paced
Cons
salary, growth
Best job for a student living on our near campus
Student Union Manager/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 21, 2018
I was a student employee of UTD's Student Union for over two years. The leadership and co-workers were all wonderful people and I feel like my customer service and leadership skills were greatly enhanced by working there.
Pros
Great leadership, great co-workers, occasional free food, friendly and energetic culture
Cons
student workers can be unreliable at times
Very Enjoyable
Inventory and Surplus Control Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 24, 2018
I worked for the Services Building as an Inventory and Surplus Work-Study employee for about a year. The people in the office that I worked with were always happy to see me come in to work and thought I did a great job so they extended my work period. I had enough time to work on school projects and homework between appointments and scheduling. My work schedule was created in accordance to my class schedule so I didn't feel overworked at all.
Pros
Managers and Coworkers were very friendly, flexible schedule, own office
Cons
Some people I scheduled appointments for didn't treat me with any respect
The work environment was acidic
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 22, 2018
Cannot speak for the whole school but, I worked in a very humiliating and deleterious environment. The supervisors never provided us with any training in our first 6 months at the job. Our hard work was never appreciated, there was favoritism and the pay was not justified based on one's experience and background. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Flexi hours and tuition discount
Cons
Office environment
Great Work Culture - Up-and-coming University
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 5, 2018
The work within the office was very rewarding. Helping students volunteer and give back to the community was a great opportunity. At the time, the position was highly undervalued for the amount of work put in. This has changed from my knowledge.

Excellent coworkers and really bright students.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Grossly underpaid
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Senior Financial Accountant (AR & Billing) (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Professional and courteous Office of Budget and Finance team.
Leadership management has an open door and open to staff ideas.
Great balance between work and family life.
Diversity of people.
Pros
Many amenities to use = pool/ping tables, music/concerts, health/wellness facilitites to use, athletic games to watch
Cons
compensation is lower than the corporate market
Utd
Parking and Transportation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Redundant tracking and processing that could be automated. Inconsistent policies that are conditional on the political environment. Over detailed on statistics that are never communicated at the team level, entirely upper level reports. No way to measure team or individual productivity or hard goals to achieve and establish improvement areas. Silent empires and opposing departmental cohesion. I enjoyed the success in reducing redundant process making time to improve other areas.
Pros
8 Hrs and 1 Hour Lunch
Cons
No Over Time - Only comptime Only at their convenience
Great place to work with great people and good leadership
Administrative Services Officer (Manager) (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Great place to work with great people and benefits. Leadership was great and took steps to improve morale and eliminate bullies. Excellent place to have a career with advancement opportunities.
Pros
Great people and good opportunities
Good work environment
Department of Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 2, 2019
I work with a very friendly and collaborative team. My manager is very helpful and eager to guide me. The perks are amazing and I get to save money that way. The position makes it available for me to learn much more, increase my current skills and obtain new ones.
An exciting growing academic environment, with growing pains
UNIX System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 14, 2018
UT Dallas is a fast growing University. As a technical staff member supporting research faculty, there were always exciting projects and new people to work with. This comes with its downsides, as the rapid growth has made it difficult to maintain the same culture consistently over the years. Many promises were made for growth, and while the school has many remarkable achievements, the over-promising and under-delivering has at times led to deep cynicism among faculty and staff.
Pros
Growing and energetic academic environment
Cons
Severe political infighting when resources are scarce
Great team and client reviews
Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Great Team to work with and a campus that Payroll supports and the campus appreciates. UTD offers a wonderful benefits plan. Working with the Fiscal Officers and the Administrative Assistants in the various schools/departments is extremely rewarding. People respect each other.
Pros
National Payroll Week
Accountant III (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 2, 2018
Good place to work, great benefits and a pension retirement. Salary tends to be a little lower than market if you are working on the Administrative or financial side of things, as most of the money tends to go towards the Academic side (professors ect).

That is pretty standard for a university however. Pros are that the benefits are fantastic, you earn plenty of vacation and holiday time, and rarely will you work more than 40 hours per week.
Benefits
Cons
salary can be lower than market
Productive and awesome place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 4, 2019
I worked with a wonderful group of professionals who valued family. The atmosphere was more like a family environment.
The job was never boring. The university offered different events for all cultures.
Pros
Friendly/family atmosphere
Cons
N/a
unpredictable
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2018
You never really knew what kind of day you were going to have. It could be really busy one day and then really slow the next. Summer shifts didn't really mean a lot of work but there could be busy times. Your main job is to set up events and all events are different so that could either take 20 minutes or 3 hours.
Pros
sometimes you were given free food, staff was great
Cons
pay wasn't that great
Geoscience Student Worker
Student Worker in the Geosciences Department (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TX 75080January 10, 2019
Working in the department you are receiving the education is beneficial for a part time job. Work is easy but plentiful. When done with work schedule I was already in my place of study.
vibrating workplace
associate professor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 17, 2018
lots of energy from undergraduate programs.
substantial improvements in the last decades.
the hardest part of the job is to get research funds
managing a research laboratory was at the same time rewarding and challenging.
overall positive experience
Interview process review - Disappointing
Void (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2018
Not the most professional experience with UTD(which is actually disappointing). I experienced late/no responses regarding details about my interview. My interaction with staff was not pleasant and was a bit rushed.
Great work environment!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJune 26, 2018
The university feels like a small community where everyone works together. There is always events to attend and it's a beautiful campus to explore on your break. They provide many training opportunities to help you advance. It can be fast-paced and a little stressful certain times of the year.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement, Discounted tuition
Cons
Pay is a little less competitive
No review
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 18, 2018
I only worked part-time there. It is a ok place. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhhahahhahahhaahhah
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not inspiring