University of Texas Medical Branch Employee Reviews

Not productive,Managers are a Joke.
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 12, 2018
Everybody are friends. No work gets done. Everybody walks around hanging out with their friends. Leaving the work to be done by one person. I had to send an email to coporate, to get them to see what was happening.
I like working there
Patient Greeter (Former Employee) –  League City, TXOctober 7, 2018
I was a patient greeter graveyard shift. I liked my job but when it was time for me to give birth to my first son they gave m,e a hard time about taking off and also because i haven't worked there long enough to get maternity leave.
When it goes bad...
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 25, 2018
UTMB isn't a bad place to work, until they start feeling pressured. Then you realize that you mean nothing to the cold HR staff and processes. I've seen many great employees let go with little to no rhyme or reason behind the decisions. at the end of the day its about whether the right person likes you enough to value your salary.
Loved my job
Radiology Planning Office (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 20, 2018
The job itself was great I had excellent training and was constantly learning more my direct supervisors and managers were always there whenever I needed them excellent group of people excellent benefits it was very hard to leave
fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TXSeptember 19, 2018
a typical day at UTMB Requires, greeting patients, listen to their concerns and fulfill their needs.at this job, I have learned to be a decisive and to be quick at problem-solving. they have excellent management system where they work as a team to put smiles on patients faces. workplace culture is very fun, challenging and friendly.
Enjoyed the patients
LVN Floor Nurse (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Worked on the infectious disease unit. All the patients made me very aware of my surroundings and protected me. They were very appreciative of the nonjudgemental care that was given to them.
Unable to properly review
Continuing Medical Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Satellite office in HoustonSeptember 12, 2018
I'm unable to properly review UTMB as far as its benefits or even the facility because I was a contract worker stationed in Houston. Also my position was extended but temporary.
na
Correctional Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXSeptember 11, 2018
really preferred not doing this again. I have said it before and will say it again that this should not be mandatory for people to do and should be volunteered.
Provides autonomy and critical learning in a fast paced environment.
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXSeptember 11, 2018
Excellent learning in a wide array of medical conditions, both physical and mental in a short period of time in a fast-paced environment.
Requires collaborating with correctional employees in to meet patient needs and staff safety as well as the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population.
Pros
autonomy, exposure to numerous medical conditions, hands on/fast paced learning
Cons
short breaks, often understaffed
Excellent benefit package
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 8, 2018
Excellent benefit package.
I am enjoying the reasonable autonomy at my work. I am getting the opportunity to attend different medical conferences, to enhance my patient care skills
Job security is weak.
Don't expect help from management
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN/LPN) (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 7, 2018
You can expect to work understaffed and with little help from management. This is the reason for high turnover rates at this company. What keeps the few employees is the decent pay and the unmatched medical benefits that are offered.
Pros
Benefits/Retirement
Cons
Staffing/Management
Tropical Island
Research Associate in Neuropathology (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
UTMB was a good place to work, however its location is not. Being a tropical island has its disadvantages due to the rain and hurricanes that Galveston has on a regular basis.
Pros
Good benefits and management
Cons
Location and weather
Great benefits but not so great manageent
Patient Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 1, 2018
This entity does provide great benefits but their management staff does need better managerial training. The training that is offered to employees, is very minimal with not much of a learning curve.
Benefits
Enjoyable environment
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  TDCJAugust 30, 2018
UTMB has a great work work environment.
Employees work as a team.
Little pay raises.
Parking areas are not convenient
Cafeteria is not opened late enough for nigh shift employees
Pros
Paid holidays, immediate benefits day of hire
My days were always productive
PCT II (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 28, 2018
the hardest part of my job was leaving the patient's
the most enjoyable part of my job was the patient's
getting up extra early for the long drive to care for patient's and assist people walking in the halls lost was a lot of excitement
Working at this job was unfair they only cared for themselves and treated others poorly because of their color.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 27, 2018
The blacks couldn’t work more hours if they wanted to but the other races could. Sometimes I’ll drive to work and they will tell me we don’t have any hours for you but my white coworker was given hours to work everyday. Sometimes I don’t get a lunch break and I think it’s not fair because we are human beings and We have families to take care of.
Good learning experiences
Nurse Climician III (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 26, 2018
Enjoyed working ther always thought I would retire from there. However when I divorced, I returned home to Beaumont. I was in midd-management there. My work life was great.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Great Agency to work for
Certified Medication Aide (Current Employee) –  Tennessee Colony, TXAugust 24, 2018
I’ve been with UTMB for almost 7 years, I would love to remain with the agency longer if possible. The Benifits with the agency are good for family.
Pros
Good Benifits, some overtime
Cons
Short breaks
Productive work place
Patient Service Specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 16, 2018
Overall , learned a lot which has opened me doors to the medical field and for that i'm thankful. Management needs improvement. us as staff the majority feel taken for granted but among each other we work great as a team.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
managment
Good Work/Life balance, but poor management.
EDW Manager (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXAugust 15, 2018
I enjoyed the people at UTMB that I had the pleasure of working with - with the exception of my management. The management team as a whole seemed more preoccupied with getting an important title, or a promotion, that with treating the team with respect and building the right tools. The 'pat-yourself-on-the-back' team was well in force when I left, but didn't seem aware of it, or care that they weren't producing what was needed.
One good thing- I NEVER had to worry about work/life balance. EVERYONE left at 5 pm and it was rare we had to work week-ends in IT.
Pros
Real work/life balance
Cons
Poor management gets promoted - they don't seem to be aware of what is happening on the lines.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas Medical Branch. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight