University of Texas Medical Branch Employee Reviews

Summary
Inventory Technician (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 29, 2018
-Typical administrative environment
-Very good work/life balance schedules
-Not much room for advancement or transfers to other departments
-Layoffs and cutbacks are always occurring
-Management seems to have bit off more than the company can chew with expansion plans, leaving long-term employees to suffer
Pros
Benefits, time-off
Cons
Lack of advancement
I love working here
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 19, 2018
I work within the TDCJ and UTMB department and although sometimes it's crazy, I love it. The staff, management, co workers, pretty much everyone here are friendly and welcoming. There is always room for advancement and growth. Certification classes are taught and so are continuing education courses for nurses and other medical staff. There's always some form of party or appreciation shown to the employees.
Cons
must pay for parking, raises take a while to receive, etc.
Great benefits
Lvn (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 21, 2018
I worked with UTMB as a new correctional nurse in El Paso Texas. The pay was okay, especially since I was a new grad. There is a high turn over rate for management but all other employees have been there years. The benefits were great! With it being my first job I took it for granted at the time. I even received a 3000 pay increase my first year. UTMB was a great company to work for and I would gladly take another position!
Pros
Benefits, pay, work/life balance
Cons
Inmates are inappropriate, guards are flirtatious
Utmb
Senior Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  League City, TXJanuary 1, 2019
I love working at UTMB and what we stand for. I appreciate where our current administration is taking us. We have great benefits and opportunities for advancement.
Clinical Research Associate II
Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 6, 2018
I had a good time working at UTMB. The management is good and the infrastructure is great out there. However they should focus little more on the professional development for young scientists.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Clock in and clock out system
Great Place to Work
DESKTOP SUPPORT SPECIALIST, SR (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Excellent benefits and amazing people. Can be very busy at times however there is no expectation to overwork yourself. Management loves to fill positions from within the organization.
ok
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 6, 2019
great benefits along with great learning. management varies but overall fair to employees and staff. The pay is ok as well. There is room too grow within UTMB which is a plus.
Always learning new skills
Grants and Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 1, 2019
Working as a Contracts and Grants Admin. there were something new to learn everyday.
The hardest part of the job was explaining to the scientist that they were not allowed to purchase something on their grant because the grant did not allow it or that they could not give someone a raise due to the amount of money received for grant.
Networking and team working was a major part of the job. You were able to communicate with other co-workers in other departments to ask questions or just realizing you were not the only one having issues with certain item. We helped each other that best that we could.
Pros
Learning of a scientist awarded a grant.
Cons
Heavy deadlines when grants were due to apply for.
Poorest Management ever: Run and don't look back
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXFebruary 3, 2019
Run and don't look back. You will be sadly disappointed with UTMB. Management is not fair. They expect you to follow rules they can't. I was wrote up for petty stuff. I asked the manager why I got wrote up for a rule he couldn't even follow.....all he could do is hang his head low. Really?? There is no support at all within this company. I must say I am happier now that I am out of that toxic environment and have been able to further my career and grow in knowledge. UTMB has a one track mind and if you don't mind being in a dictatorship then this company may be a fit for you. If you are looking for a positive working environment, fair management, opportunities for growth then do not waste your time applying. You will not find it there and will be sadly disappointed! There are several other employees that are going through the exact treatment that I experienced. RUN, RUN, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything: Please ready my review!!
Work hard for very lillter in return
Research Associate I & Surgical Anesthetist (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 12, 2018
UTMB is a good place to work to get your foot in the door in the medical and science field but you have to be able to "afford to work there" or you just struggle. They do not do as much for their employees like other hospital systems such as MD Anderson. They also will talk about promotions and raises but then never give you one. You do a lot of other people's work as well and never get credit for it.
Pick and Choose Company
Certified Medication Aide (Former Employee) –  Gatesville, TXNovember 27, 2018
This company condones inter company relationships even if they are already married. This company always have a freeze on raises and keeps it intact for years
Good Work/Life balance, but poor management.
EDW Manager (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXAugust 15, 2018
I enjoyed the people at UTMB that I had the pleasure of working with - with the exception of my management. The management team as a whole seemed more preoccupied with getting an important title, or a promotion, that with treating the team with respect and building the right tools. The 'pat-yourself-on-the-back' team was well in force when I left, but didn't seem aware of it, or care that they weren't producing what was needed.
One good thing- I NEVER had to worry about work/life balance. EVERYONE left at 5 pm and it was rare we had to work week-ends in IT.
Pros
Real work/life balance
Cons
Poor management gets promoted - they don't seem to be aware of what is happening on the lines.
Expanding health system with rapid growth
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  League City, TXNovember 6, 2018
Overall great place of employment. The system continues to grow and expand. As a nurse manager very busy working environment. The system is very demanding on nurse managers and does not always provide the greatest work life balance. Overall a very good system that does provide the opportunity to interact with a diverse patient population and very friendly staff.
Positive benefits and retirement
Home Dialysis Nurse Educator (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 26, 2018
Overall UTMB is a great place to work. I did not enjoy my last job there due to difficulty maintaining a Nurse Manager in the Clinic. During the short time I was there (2 years), I had 2 different manager and 1 interim manager that was not in clinic. I feel if there had been proper and consistent management in this clinic it would have been a much better place to work.
Pros
Excellent benefits. Patients were wonderful.
Cons
Poor management.
Only good thing here are the benefits
Nurse (Former Employee) –  TXJuly 21, 2018
Pros are only the benefits. Poor management, poor treatment of nursing staff and patients, no opportunity for advancement, walking on egg shells everyday and they will work you to death until they lay you off and replace you.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else.
fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TXSeptember 19, 2018
a typical day at UTMB Requires, greeting patients, listen to their concerns and fulfill their needs.at this job, I have learned to be a decisive and to be quick at problem-solving. they have excellent management system where they work as a team to put smiles on patients faces. workplace culture is very fun, challenging and friendly.
Good learning experiences
Nurse Climician III (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 26, 2018
Enjoyed working ther always thought I would retire from there. However when I divorced, I returned home to Beaumont. I was in midd-management there. My work life was great.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Don't expect help from management
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN/LPN) (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 7, 2018
You can expect to work understaffed and with little help from management. This is the reason for high turnover rates at this company. What keeps the few employees is the decent pay and the unmatched medical benefits that are offered.
Pros
Benefits/Retirement
Cons
Staffing/Management
Tropical Island
Research Associate in Neuropathology (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 5, 2018
UTMB was a good place to work, however its location is not. Being a tropical island has its disadvantages due to the rain and hurricanes that Galveston has on a regular basis.
Pros
Good benefits and management
Cons
Location and weather
Great benefits but not so great manageent
Patient Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXSeptember 1, 2018
This entity does provide great benefits but their management staff does need better managerial training. The training that is offered to employees, is very minimal with not much of a learning curve.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Texas Medical Branch. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss