University of Texas of the Permian Basin Employee Reviews

Dogmatic Bureacracy
Student Worker/ Art Studio Assistant (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 24, 2018
Some people are progressive, some are not. Still a good place to work, but people have their ears across the place. Some places are better than others, it just depends on the department.
Great Work Place
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 6, 2018
Much of the staff are graduates or have been at the university for awhile. They are also interested in the constant growth of the university and its students.
Modeling
Modeling (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 2, 2019
I would show up in a bathing suit and model for 20 minute intervals with small breaks in between so that my limbs did not fall asleep. Every now and then I would get to sit and wait while the rest of the class finished an older assignment or did critiques.
Pros
naps
Cons
felt secluded
Adjunct Faculty Position
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 13, 2018
Very enjoyable and easy to work with. Being part of this faculty has allowed great networking and the ability to enrich the lives of future nurses. I'd recommend UTPB.
A Positive experience for my career growth
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 16, 2018
As an employee of UTPB i was afforded the opportunity to grow and learn in my field. I would recommend employment at UTPB to anyone who were to ask. I am thankful for my work time there.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 8, 2018
I worked there part time as a resident assistant while pursuing my degree in petroleum engineering. It was a great institution to work for. I enjoyed working with the office of admissions.
Decent place to work at
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 18, 2018
Management is ok, feels like everyone makes up things as they feel. The culture is better, coworkers are enjoyable. Friendly staff & professors. UTPB is a great school overall.
Great Teaching experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TexasJuly 8, 2018
As an adjunct, I get to experience just providing instruction to students and sharing my knowledge and experience. Great extra job allowing me to be creative and motivate students.
Pros
good adjunct pay
Excellent Enviroment
Temporary Full- Time Lecturer for Developmental (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 13, 2018
I received immeasurable support and professional development. Every faculty member went out of their way to make it a valuable teaching experience. I would definitely recommend working for them.
Pros
Excellent Faculty
Cons
Less pay
New Administration is not professional
MEDIA SPECIALIST/PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 9, 2018
The new administration leaves a lot to be desired. They morale of the staff and faculty has greatly declined with new president and her bringing in people unqualified for VP positions and hiring local tv personalities to be chief of staff.
Good for students
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 18, 2018
Typical day not very stressful, good for students who live on campus or have heavy course loads. Management depends on department but overall workplace culture is positive.
Different atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 3, 2018
Just a whole different atmosphere
than what Im used to being involved

Higher Education Human Resource department is ran different than what I'm used to seeing.
previously mentioned
Gym Complex Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 14, 2018
The beginning of my work experience started in this institution. The managers taught me how to develop my professional skills by effectively providing guidance.
Productive place to work
Accounting Clerk II/Fleet Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 2, 2018
Interesting place to work in an educational setting. Learned the workings of a university. Learned to work well with many different departments and many different kinds of people.
Good place to work at.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 9, 2018
A typical day at work was about 8 hours.
I learned to do payroll, work with UTPB accounting application, learn to help students with their majors.
Management was very nice.
Hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the administrative assistants in our department.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with students and professors.
Effective workplace learning
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 14, 2018
As a mentor and a student worker in The University of Texas of Permian Basin, I have learned to perform professional duties. I have understood how to apply some knowledge in the different workplaces. Furthermore, it has been a good experience to adjust myself into an office daily basis routine by doing inventories and conducting meetings with students.
A diamond in the Desert
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 25, 2018
UTPB is a great place to work. People are really nice. A new President started in July, 2017 and she is a breath of fresh air. She is looking at adding workforce and changing the look/feel of the University.

You will work hard for sure, but knowing you are working to make a difference in a students life is pretty cool.

The Odessa area is under rated. True, the oil fields are prominent but there is always something to do.... if you just leave your house. There is a lot of cultural events that happen not to mention the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center.
Pros
People, being part of the University of Texas system
Cons
State funding
A great place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 2, 2018
A typical day was various administrative duties for all staff in doctoral studies department. General office duties, answering phones, filing, research data, data entry etc.
Pros
I was a student so qualified for this government funded work study program
Cons
Once I graduated I no longer became qualified to keep my job
Grant programs can be very rewarding
Parent Educator-Parent's as Teachers (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 11, 2017
My employment was based on a grant that focused on early childhood education. This was a very rewarding job in that I felt I was contributing to the community. However, growth is limited because funding is based on a grant. I gained a lot of experience, and was able to network with various organizations in my community.
Pros
Earned comp time
Cons
Limited salary, management
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 8, 2017
Great place to work. Multiple opportunities available for students pursing their degree. Flexible hours and steady guidance make this a great option for earning money during school.