University of Texas of the Permian Basin Employee Reviews

New Administration is not professional
MEDIA SPECIALIST/PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 9, 2018
The new administration leaves a lot to be desired. They morale of the staff and faculty has greatly declined with new president and her bringing in people unqualified for VP positions and hiring local tv personalities to be chief of staff.
Good for students
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 18, 2018
Typical day not very stressful, good for students who live on campus or have heavy course loads. Management depends on department but overall workplace culture is positive.
Different atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 3, 2018
Just a whole different atmosphere
than what Im used to being involved

Higher Education Human Resource department is ran different than what I'm used to seeing.
Productive place to work
Accounting Clerk II/Fleet Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 2, 2018
Interesting place to work in an educational setting. Learned the workings of a university. Learned to work well with many different departments and many different kinds of people.
A diamond in the Desert
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 25, 2018
UTPB is a great place to work. People are really nice. A new President started in July, 2017 and she is a breath of fresh air. She is looking at adding workforce and changing the look/feel of the University.

You will work hard for sure, but knowing you are working to make a difference in a students life is pretty cool.

The Odessa area is under rated. True, the oil fields are prominent but there is always something to do.... if you just leave your house. There is a lot of cultural events that happen not to mention the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center.
Pros
People, being part of the University of Texas system
Cons
State funding
A great place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 2, 2018
A typical day was various administrative duties for all staff in doctoral studies department. General office duties, answering phones, filing, research data, data entry etc.
Pros
I was a student so qualified for this government funded work study program
Cons
Once I graduated I no longer became qualified to keep my job
Grant programs can be very rewarding
Parent Educator-Parent's as Teachers (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 11, 2017
My employment was based on a grant that focused on early childhood education. This was a very rewarding job in that I felt I was contributing to the community. However, growth is limited because funding is based on a grant. I gained a lot of experience, and was able to network with various organizations in my community.
Pros
Earned comp time
Cons
Limited salary, management
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 8, 2017
Great place to work. Multiple opportunities available for students pursing their degree. Flexible hours and steady guidance make this a great option for earning money during school.
Decent to work at for a student.
Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 13, 2017
Like I said, this place is a decent location to work, assuming you're a student.

I learned quite a bit working here that will definitely help me in my future career. However, some people can be insufferable to work alongside. I understand that it happens anywhere, but it can be difficult to work when you're antagonized over minor mistakes, offered no training to ensure those mistakes won't happen in the future, then pushed away every time you have a question regarding a procedure.
great potential
Head Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 6, 2017
The athletic department needs to have a good director as there is so much potential for growth and development. They just hired a new president so the future is looking positive
Pros
area for growth
Cons
leadership
I thoroughly enjoyed the campus grounds and the students, just not upper management.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 12, 2016
I enjoyed the university campus and the students, upper management bullied students and I didn't want any part in that.
A place where you can always learn and grow as a professional
Assistant Coach Men's Soccer (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 20, 2016
The past two years as an assistant coach has help me learn more about coaching in the sport of soccer professionally. I have developed the skills to successfully complete administrative duties. I now possess the knowledge of the NCAA II guidelines and rules. I have also developed a network with the schools athletic department. The work environment is very productive and the co-workers are very supportive of each other. The hardest part was sorting out the first team since we had so much talent. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with the athletes everyday, I enjoy working with and developing the students.
Pros
Travel, meeting people, enjoying soccer
Cons
wage, health care
Supportive and productive organizational culture.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 7, 2015
Employee empowerment, responsibility, and accountability were practiced. Employees needs, ideas, and desires were valued. I enjoyed being able to personally assist students and prospective students in their academic journey.
Great work/life balance
Assistant Registrar (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 28, 2015
Great place to work, especially all the Holiday time off. I learned a lot mainly learning to manage an office.I loved getting to take on new responsibilities.
Average/Good
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Odessa, Texas.February 25, 2015
Work with faculty in online courses. Helping students with technology applications and troubleshooting. Assisting faculty to find computer software to enhance course design. Conduct performance evaluations in the monthly bases, interpret data from surveys and other sources.
Pros
Positive learning environment
Cons
Too much work (Shorthanded).
Good student/faculty mix
Composition Instructor (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 19, 2014
A good University if you are looking for a smaller school to attend or work, which has its ups and downs. Its a small community, so everyone is rather tight knit, yet it does seem to lack and be unorganized in some areas. Overall, its a good University to work for, especially if you are gaining experience as there is a lot of support from fellow faculty.
Great Job with Great Benefits
Senior Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 29, 2014
As an employee of UTPB and particularly the John Ben Shepperd Public Leadership Institute, I have had the opportunity to meet and work with many prominent people in the Midland/Odessa community. I have enjoyed traveling across Texas, making work connections, and enriching the lives of young adults. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to teach leadership to middle and high school aged students and see them work together to complete projects.

I've enjoyed working with a team who strives to get the best out of every experience.
I liked helping people
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TexasSeptember 5, 2014
I liked helping people achieve their goals, mentoring them and celebrating in their successes.
Good Academic Experience
Graduate/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 7, 2013
Working with highly qualified academicians is relevant and life changing experience.
Has prepared me well for the job market
Dean's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 10, 2013
Currently work as a student worker in the College of Business and Engineering for the Dean. He's a man with much experience, knowledge, and connections. My experience from working here has been an educational one and one that I value greatly!