University of Utah Hospital Employee Reviews

n/a
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  south jordanJanuary 20, 2019
Call Center, inbound calls to assist with the process of scheduling appointments and assisting in sending messages to patient's providers to Support medication refill, patient concerns / questions
Good for a Hospital Setting, Not as Good as People Say
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee) –  University Neuropsychiatric InstituteJanuary 17, 2019
This is a pretty good place to work if it wasn’t for management and one of my coworkers. Favoritism is rampant, and if on probation you can’t make a complaint about it to HR. I have a coworker who is especially degrading and rude, but everybody who has worked there for a while bands together, so you can’t complain about her or you’re the bad employee. The burnout rate is high because of violent or sexually inappropriate patients. Staffing is constantly short. I’ve worked 15 patients with 1 psych tech and 1 nurse on the floor. The benefits and insurance are great, but the constant beating down from one coworker is ruining it for me.
Pros
Great insurance, good pay.
Cons
Long shifts, long probation period, rampant favoritism.
Great Place to learn a lot of information
Assistant) in Acute Internal Medicine Unit I (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84112January 6, 2019
Working at the UofU I was able to learn a lot and mentally challenge myself when a problem would arise. The unit in which I worked helped me develop critical thinking skills as well as being able to work in a team. My coworkers were very helpful in teaching me new skills and help me get a better understanding of the type of work environment I would be dealing with. A typical day would start off with getting bedside report from the previous HCA. Once we were given our report we begin overlooking the patient's charts to make sure all the information is correct. After that, we begin whatever daily care the patient needs; whether it was taking a daily weight, blood sugar, or vitals. I would also perform other sorts of tasks, such taking IV's out of patients when they were being discharged.
Pros
Great work environment, very helpful team
Cons
High stress
Great Place to Work
Abdominal Transplant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 3, 2019
Great staff, plenty of opportunities to develop your skill set. Diverse staff with great patient/doctor relationships. Uniquely provides care to surrounding states.
Excellent place to work
Informatics Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 16, 2018
University of Utah gathers great talent from all over the country and is extremely desirable to work for.

The culture is great and the people are exciting to work with.

The clinical expertise is world class.
A great place to work for
Customer Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Jordan, UTDecember 5, 2018
It can be challenging and fast-paced, however they really care for their employees. You really feel taken care of with all the benefits and fair pay. The south Jordan location I work for has an employee gym and break room, which is so nice. Everyone is pretty helpful, training is in depth, they really make sure you are thoroughly trained for the job.
Pros
15% off lunch on purchases over $5, employee gym, benefits, discounts
Cons
Only able to use restroom 3 times a day (during breaks) otherwise you can get written up
The U has made huge strides over the past 20 years to become a much better hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 4, 2018
I love the learning environment. I love teaching others, but also feeling like I am not stupid when asking questions. It was an amazing experience and my skills learned there have carried me through 20 years of nursing
Pros
great hospital
Cons
parking
Patient Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I met alot of people from all over the world. I enjoyed working with the patients to assist on assuring that they were covered on upcoming procedures as well as screening them to see what they would qualify for on Medicaid , Medicare , Va , Cobra or the Affordable Care Act.
Pros
Cafeteria, year end bonuses
Cons
Parking
Horrible experience
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 23, 2018
I spent 2 months working at the NICU at the main hospital. From day one, I felt like I was being hazed by nurses and attendings, who continued to make me feel useless and left out just because I was new. I had to call in sick due to strep and the charge nurse made a snide comment and hung up on me when I called in, which is something I had heard happens often. I was ignored by nurses, nurse practitioners and continuously overheard people talking badly about each other. I got the feeling that 9/10 people working there hate their jobs and let it out on each other. I had only heard good things about this unit and was so excited to start, but little did I know I would be taking a huge pay cut to be subjected to bullying and an extremely hostile work environment. There are a lot of great people at the U of U hospital and I would recommend that whoever reads this gives it a chance, but not in the NICU. Work is hard enough as it is, and we spend more time at work sometimes than with our families, so I feel that it should be a positive experience. Good luck!
Pros
Healthcare, tuition benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment
Radiation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 5, 2018
Hard work, long hours, exhausting and emotionally draining job. Fear culture and lack of trust in staff to make decisions or learn new things. People afraid of management.
Pros
trying to have plenty of staff
great place for a nurse
ICU Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 28, 2018
This organization is great for education. As it is a teaching hospital, there are always things you can learn and participate in. ICU nurses have a lot of autonomy here and the environment is very collaborative with the doctors. Great benefits with amazing healthcare coverage!
Great opportunity
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 27, 2018
I love working at the University of Utah Hospital. The pay is excellent, and the job is very fulfilling. Although there were problems with the department manager, overall I thoroughly enjoy my job.
Cadillac Healthcare
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 24, 2018
University of Utah is a teaching hospital and is a great place to work and advance your career. There is plenty of opportunity to grow into bigger roles. It’s a welcoming and friendly environment.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
N/a
Loved this job as I was able to advance up through the secretarial ranks.
Staffing Coordinator Resource Nursing Department (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2018
Answering phones, helping with staffing the hospital, medical secretary, CNA.

Learned computers.

Had good managers.

Workplace culture was great.

Hardest part was leaving due to reassignment of my husband's work.

Enjoyed working there.
Pros
Could go through the ranks
Radiology Tech Registered (Employee) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 11, 2018
I love working for the University of Utah Health! Expanding trauma one center with many opportunities to work with many different physicians, nurses and other staff.
U of U is great
Special Procedures Technologist (Former Employee) –  RadiologyOctober 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at the U of U. They seem to have the best and state of the art equipment for the area. Physicians are fantastic and teach. Call schedule can be a bit dicey and the snow can make it difficu.lt
Pros
Best lunch
Cons
Parking
Working at "The U"
Registered Nurse, BSN (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 2, 2018
Overall, I am very satisfied with working at The U. I love my job, my coworkers are extremely helpful and supportive. Management is somewhat absent, but if you're performing your job well you won't need interventions from management. Though I will say that management does make themselves available if you need them, day or night. My only complaint is that RN's [and most other medical staff] are paid well below the national average per hour. With the increasing cost of living in SLC, I'm finding it difficult to stay in Utah longterm. Utah overall pays nurses less than neighbhoring states. However, The U is a great place to work.
Pros
Health Benefits, 401K, the collaboration of staff, everyone is very helpful
Cons
Pay
What I learned
Urgent care greenwood clinic externship (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTSeptember 28, 2018
although it was only a 160 hour internship, I loved it. I have decided that this career is my passion and I wish to purse this job. I learned so much from this clinic and I feel confident with my skills now as a NCMA.
Loved my time here!
Medical Assistant Lead (Former Employee) –  Outpatient ClinicsSeptember 26, 2018
I was here for about 4 years and I absolutely loved it. Management was great and co workers were awesome. Managements cares about how you are doing, which you don't get everywhere. You get a pretty decent raise every year.
Pros
Pay, benefits, management
Cons
none!
Great place and great benefits
Patient advocate specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 25, 2018
Great to get to know patients and doctors. Staff is very friendly. The hospital takes care of their employees needs and concerns. I would highly recommend.