University of Utah Hospital Employee Reviews

I enjoy helping patients
Medical Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 3, 2018
I loved working with the diverse group of patients in our clinic. I feel like I made a positive difference in their quality of life.

The biggest complaint I have is that my manager never provided support or additional employee coverage when someone was out of the office.
Pros
Health and Dental insurance, onsite gym
Cons
No support from teammates or management
Great place
MEDICAL ASSISTANT AND OSS II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 7, 2018
University of Utah is such a great organization to work for and its a huge plus that they are a teaching hospital as well. They do not judge you but will help lift you up.
It was a good place to work and you got to know your patients in the clinic which was great
Variety of position throughout my carreer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 5, 2018
I would recommend the universities for any person they have good benefits promote higher education and the pay is good and they're very good with their employees
Pros
They look out for their employees
Cons
Since there's nothing I have nothing against them
Busy department, love the staff I work with
Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 3, 2018
Coordinate everything needed for patients at discharge.

I have learned tons in the last 34 years. Admit & discharge process. Coordination of scheduling appointments, home care, skilled facilities, dme, transport, etc and hope to continue learning.

The hardest part of my job is trying to help a patient and everything falling apart on the discharge plan, this is a disappointment to the patients. When this happens we really have no control over the situation.

The best part of my job is when long term patients are going home and everything is set up for patient with smooth sailing out the door, with everything in place for a great recovery.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Paying for parking
Educational yet negligent
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 28, 2018
I learned a lot during my time at UUHC and everyone was so willing to teach but they seem to not care about the safety of their employees. While there I was verily and physically assault weekly to the point that I had to take days off to recover.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, large workloads, abusive environment
Great team environment!
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 26, 2018
I loved it there, the nurses were helpful, management was understanding and compassionate. I really had a lot going on at the end of my employment and they tried very hard to work with me. The only thing I thought was a con was that you cannot get FMLA until you have worked there a year. That means you cannot have any major medical incident in the first year, but how do you control that? Other than that the pay was great, I basically had the schedule I wanted (we made our own schedules), and my co-workers were absolutely amazing!
Productive and fast-paced environment with the ability to learn new skills.
Medical Assistant/Clinic administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2018
A fast-paced work environment with helpful on the job training and a caring management system. Workplace culture is a motivating and interesting environment that really keeps the job interesting.
Great academic medical center
Clinical Nurse Coordinator-Quality (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 12, 2018
Lots of monotony in my role. Disorganized management and administration. Definitely uses a top down approach to organizational culture. Difficulty understanding my role sometimes. Great people to work with.
Pros
Opportunities to learn.
Cons
Work Life Balance
Great work environment
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 12, 2018
Great work environment! Awesome staff! Helpful Management! Starbucks on site 24/7! Up to date technologies! Competitive Pay! The only downside is you have to pay for a monthly parking pass that is far away from the facility.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Limited Parking
Work Life
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2018
Make sure you feel like your personality is just as compatible with the place you work for as the qualifications that get you the job. The place where you work is your second home, it has to feel like family. I have seen too many people come and go because they were incompatible with the environment and team.
Really enjoyed my time there.
Outpatient Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 2, 2018
I worked for the hospital for 16 years. The benefits were some of the best I've ever had working for any other company. My managers where always willing to work with me, my schedule and my time off requests. My department really cared about keeping a nice work/life balance. The vacation time alone builds over your term of service. I was taking 2-3 weeks vacation every year! No two departments are the same, but the workplace culture across was some of the best I've ever been apart of. If I didn't move to Hawaii, I would absolutely still be working there.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation Time, Great co-workers, decent hours
Cons
Pay to Park, expensive on-site cafeteria
Dynamic, cutting-edge, fast-paced clinical environment.
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 21, 2018
A great place to work as a nurse. University of Utah Health fosters a culture of collaboration and high-quality patient care. As a Level-1 Trauma Center and Academic Medical Center, the organization provides incredible care to patients and families, while fostering the growth and development of its employees.
Pros
Team culture.
Cons
Compensation.
Good foot in the door
Sterile Processing Technician II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 20, 2018
I took a $2 pay-cut to move from a different hospital and the culture as well as the benefits made the difference. I know I am with a good company and the benefits will only get better with time.
Pros
Good culture, tuition discount, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Low PTO, short staffed, heavy workload
Great Benefits, High Stress Job, Traditional Environment
Guest Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 13, 2018
The medical and non-medical benefits offered to full-time and full-time equivalent staff are fantastic! The U definitely knows how to take care of their employees.The environment of the work place is friendly. Managers and directors are very personable and interested in the effectiveness of their work pool. For my team and position, the schedule is set. However there is some room for flexibility depending on the situation.
Working for a public hospital means I am constantly engaging with all kinds of people. It can be stressful and usually requires me to move quickly to solve an issue. Sometimes the general public can be a handful. The hospital is a place where the whole breathe of human life happens; from birth to death.
The culture of the company is pretty traditional. There are lots of rules and regulations. Things are supposed to be done a certain way to protect patients and the organization. The dress code is dependent on area. Medical staff have scrub requirements. Non-medical staff also have dress code requirements. It's not a place to show off your tattoos or sport unnatural hair colors. My job requires a uniform and I have limited dress and color options.
Overall, I enjoy working for the U Hospital. It can be stressful and demanding. However I feel like I am compensated appropriately and that my team works well together. In general, employees in all departments are friendly and helpful. The benefits are great. It would be awesome to have a little more wiggle room when it comes to professional dress.
Safe, Valued position
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 11, 2018
Working as a custodian for the University of Utah Hospital is a wonderful experience. It is safe, informative, and I feel supported as a worker. The work is hard, but we worked as a team to do our best to get it done.
Pros
Benefits, consistent hours, wonderful coworkers, cultural diversity
Cons
missed breaks, inconsistent lunches, workload
Good benefits
Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 26, 2018
Benefits are great. Because this is a teaching hospital, there are many opportunities to learn new things. Physicians always available and good to work with.
great
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 24, 2018
great place to work. check out what is available on their website. you won't be disappointed with what you find. make sure to have a bachelors if you are a nurse.
Best in Healthcare
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTMay 24, 2018
I love working it here. I have had friends who have when to other healthcare organizations and they always come back to the University. The benefits are great, the providers are great, the management is great and the place is just great.
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
Not a lot of advancement opportunities for MAs
Poor Management
Sr. Health Care Analyst (Former Employee) –  SLCMay 22, 2018
Poor Management. Ancient technology. Lack of Team work. Abusive Management / Employee Relationship. Would not recommend to friend to apply and work for this entity of U of U Health Care Department
Pros
Prfovide Health Care benefits to people
Cons
Poor Management
Up-beat work enviroment
Executive Secretary/Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 22, 2018
Love the fast paced work environment and all of the co-workers.
The University and all of their employees make this work environment worth every minute of your schedule.