University of Utah Employee Reviews

Don’t work for Triage
Triage Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eccles OutpatientJanuary 5, 2019
I worked here and barely made it to two years. The job is a joke. You have complete idiots telling you how to do your job. Protocols are always changing because nobody knows what they are doing. Leads act like they are your manager and run around like tyrants if you are late coming back from break.If you are away from your desk longer than they deem to be too long than you will multiple messages asking where you are. You are expected to take 40+calls and never skip a beat when it comes to knowing what to say on the phones. They can never keep people so you are always covering other people. The amount of calls per medical assistant available to take calls is insane. You have to be able to do your extra responsibilities but yet calls ALWAYS come first. Parents scream at you and you are not valued as an employee. The co-workers are so rude and if they have seniority can bully you around with no help from HR. Do yourself a favor and run far away and don’t look back if you find yourself in this particular job position. I wish I had. I went to the U for job advancement, benefits and better pay but I would trade it all to go back to my old job. I never should have accepted this job. Absolutely hated it.
Pros
I liked a lot of people besides my own team
Cons
Zero tolerance on going over on breaks, work place politics, toxic environment
I'm just a grad student there
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 21, 2018
life of a grad student is usually stressful. Teaching and doing research is something that I like though.
I can't comment on the University as a whole.
Pros
teaching
Cons
grading
Energetic & Dynamic Work Environment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahDecember 9, 2018
A typical day at work begins with unsupervised responsibilities that unfold and change upon the dynamic of the weather news for the day. Management strongly encourages and promotes teamwork.
University of Utah Hospital
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 26, 2018
Loved working at this hospital. Great manager who made an effort to know and work with us all. Awesome team work, and great continuing education throughout my time here.
Not treated as a valued employee
Research Study Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 30, 2018
I work as a study coordinator and am constantly wishing I would be recognized for the work that I do. I'm always getting thrown under the bus or threatened with replacement. The hiring process takes forever and since I've started working full time they are constantly asking me to lower my hours. I'm a student and I depend on my income so the uncertainty of my job causes more stress.

However, I have also worked in other departments of the University such as youth education and they truly value the employees there and always make them feel like they have security in their job.
Pros
Benefited full time
Cons
Doesn't value employees
Academic
Executive Assistant/Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 26, 2018
I loved my position at the University of Utah because I was able to interact with physicians, student, and ancillary services. I learned many things about different departments.
Great benefits, but few advancement options
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 26, 2018
Overall the company culture is great. You couldn't ask for better benefits and the working environment is pretty good. My biggest gripe is that, unless you're a physician or executive, advancement is hard to come by. Most entry-mid level employees float from one position to another just to get a decent pay bump, but there's no career guidance for these employees to aid in the transition.
Pros
Benefits, diverse environment
Cons
Lack of career advancement for entry-mid level employees
Relaxing Environment In A Great Area
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2018
Most days tended to work the same, even when different areas were on schedule that week. A focus on small detail and an emphasis on organization and time management was key in day-to-day working. Most workers worked alone which gave a freedom of task management beneficial to both the employee and staffers who could rely on certain tasks being performed and completed at certain times.
The time spent alone working also gave the environment a relaxing touch which made working much easier and immensely less stressful than one would assume.
Pros
Self-determined Task Management, Relaxed Environment Overall
Cons
Management Pressure, Lack of Oversight Into Management Performance
America Reads Work Study
America Reads Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 15, 2018
Teaching children to read that come from low income families at Title one elementary schools. It was a fun, relaxed working environment.
A great opportunity to earn money for anyone attending the University of Utah.
Pros
They work with your school schedule
Kinda fun
Program Interpreter and Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 9, 2018
Not much of challenging work is required. Being in the environment is fun, pay is good. Only problem I had was just you don't get too much of shifts in this place.
Great Company, however like many companies many internal politics
Payroll and Scheduling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 2, 2018
University of Utah is a great organization that is expanding and is a very great and stable job. The reduced tuition is very nice, especially with the cost of tuition at the University of Utah.
Only there for a year
Photographic Archivist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 25, 2018
This is a job for a undergrad. I had complete mine and was transitioning from military service to the civilian world. This is not a good position for that.
Not happy
Outpatient Specialist for the Central Call Center (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 21, 2018
I went out on FMLA due to stress came back to work and they w=hauted me watched everything I did and made my job miserable and the management they caused approximately 20 employees to leave within 3 months due to the stress and the management
Great Residency program
General Practice Residency Program (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2018
Best place to work, live and learn! Utah is a beautiful place, there is so many things to do. You have the 4 seasons. Housing are cheap and the food are amazing.
Overall pleasent
Outpatient Services Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 17, 2018
The switch to Cerner (icentra, power chart) was not smooth and they system does not fit how University of Utah's processes. Making appointments and registration takes more time than it really should. It is a work in progress. I enjoyed my time there overall and was sad to go.
Great manager that provided tools for success
Marketing (Former Employee) –  West RegionSeptember 16, 2018
Good team environment, opportunity to work remotely and conference, training encouraged and highly supported. Environment for cretive solutions and out of the box ideas.
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
New management
Great Co-Workers - Lack of Leadership & Work Life Balance
IT PROJECT MANAGER, UIT PROJECT OFFICE (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 31, 2018
Project Manage IT Unified Communications & Infrastructure projects only. Since I failed the PMP exam, I feel I am being pigeon held within these 2 departments. They love me and I like learning about new technology, I just have not had any opportunity to work on Softwware projects or get additional certifications, aside from what is expected: CSM, ITIL, I do love the people I work with and learning both sides of U of U, campus and UUH. Our Associate Director is working on all the software projects and not maturing our PMO. We have no best practices, processes, governance, etc.

Our PMO has a boss and not a leader; unable to take 30 minutes off without marking as sick time. Assumptions are made, keep your head down and do not be expected to be heard. Unless you are special to your boss, you do not get to make your own decisions, work from home, flex hours, and do not go on FMLA. When I went on intermittent FMLA, all my movements were tracked.
Pros
Retirement Benefits
Cons
Salary, Lack of Growth, Work/Life Balance, Unable to Work Independently
Absolutely Hated This Job
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTAugust 24, 2018
I worked at the call center/hospital in South Jordan scheduling appointments. Worst place I have ever worked. Management was absolutely terrible. They have a mile long list of everything you needed to say in a phone call yet they want your calls to be short. I failed every quality review because of ridiculous reasons. They train you for about one day before putting you on the phones to schedule for 5+ clinics and probably 200+ providers all throughout the valley. Then they would be angry when you didn't know a doctor's specific appointments/specialties when they trained us for 1 day. You weren't supposed to take more than 10 seconds in between calls but were also supposed to type up long messages to doctors and refill requests while on the phone with the patient. And the worst part is that they have nurses in the next room that you need to speak to if a borrower calls in about a mild cold or anything they deem as medical. Getting the nurses to answer was a nightmare. Would not recommend the call center to anyone out there. Seriously one of the worst places I have ever worked at. Not worth the stress for the money. I also got written up because I went to the bathroom and it wasn't on one of my 15 minute breaks. Nightmare.
Pros
Pay, Flexible shifts
Cons
Short Breaks, Terrible Management, Impossible Expectations
Productive and high quality in the translation projects
medical translator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 20, 2018
Job security if you don't mind poor management and low salary. Quality in general is not what I would recommend to my friends. I'm used to working with high quality companies, like Intermountain Healthcare. I always strive to achieve the highest quality possible in all I do.
Pros
For the most part, there is no micro-management.
Cons
Poor quality in other positions but mine.
University of Utah Concession Stand
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work would be a fast paced environment within the concession stand. You learn how to work in a timely manner with keeping a positive attitude. The workplace culture can be crowded if you have too many people in one booth, but it is worked out very well. The hardest part of working in a concession booth would be the heat, if it's hot out, or the cold, if it's in winter. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part would be working with your teammates, or even getting to know your employers.
Pros
Free lunches, snacks
Cons
Weather differences

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Utah. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight