University of Utah Employee Reviews

Great people, Fun work environment
USHER (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 17, 2018
Every event, we are greeted with a smile and told exactly what we are supposed to do for the specific event. All the workers are friendly and management is kind and understanding.
challenging and rewarding
Crisis Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Daybreak, UTJuly 16, 2018
Working crisis at the University of Utah has been an amazing opportunity for me to learn more about mental health and crisis response team. I work the outreach crisis team and love my job. I love arriving to someone who is in crisis and more times than not be able to keep them in least restrictive environment instead of hospitalization.
Pros
Able to help others
Ok
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 2, 2018
Good university but narrow mindset. There is a large bureaucracy here and everything involves alliances made with students and projects as part of the pawns in the game.
Research Assistant for Professor Scott Schaefer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 27, 2018
Very good work environment, top notch people all around you, great food options, and very nice buildings all around campus. Highly recommend for anyone wanting a job in the academic sector
It's a fun place to work/
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 18, 2018
It's fun to work there, and I work with a great team of people. The other employees are very understanding. There's always work to be done, and they don't send you home early. The work is steady and rewarding.
Good Experience
Graduate Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 13, 2018
As a Student Teacher the most enjoyable part of the job was working with students who were interested in the material and wanted to learn it. This experience gave me the fundamental understanding of what it is like to teach.
They are a good employer, but is not ideal for Students at the Univerisity
QA Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2018
The University of Utah is a great employer, especially if you are working in a full-time position. However, the pay rate for students positions is often less than the standard rate in a similar industry, and without benefits.
Pros
Great Work Environment, Great Benefits if your are Full Time
Cons
Pay Rate is less than industry standard
Cool place to work if you've got a PhD
CLEAR Program Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2018
I worked at the U as a grad student finishing an MA. I would have loved to continue working there, but being a professor requires more credentials than I've got. Maybe some day I'll go a pursue a PhD, but I don't have that kind of money.
Incredible university for studies and employment
Mechanical Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2018
The University of Utah is an outstanding university for academics and for employment. They have a culture of learning. The faculty in the Mechanical Engineering-Ergonomics and Safety Department was truly supportive of the students in the program.
Good place to get experience
Associate Director of Admissions Operations (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 1, 2018
Very demanding jobs without a lot of compensation or support from management. I loved what I learned, and overall my experience was great, only because I was building my career and gaining experience. For me, not a long-term job because work-life balance was difficult.
Horrible place to work at
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 29, 2018
Hostile environment, poor management, pointing fingers, careless about employees, high turn around of employees, who leave mess behind them. Underpaid, underappreciated, overworked, overstressed, politics behind the scene all over the place even in the smallest things. No opportunities to grow, formalism, favoritism, HR is not credible. No culture, no respect, no fair treatment, discrimination in every step you take. Twist your neck to make decisions and then punish you for doing it. Run away from this place, no benefits can compensate you for the treatment and stress in that facility.
Pros
Cons
Read review
I was only an intern so I really had no benfits.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 22, 2018
I was only an intern so I really had no benefits so I cant say very well what is would be like but it seems that they would do great in pay and ive heard its a pretty good position and all.
Great place and people
Defensive Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 22, 2018
A typical day at work was productive and extremely organized! I worked as a graduate assistant so I had to dedicate myself to work as well as graduate school! All in all, my experience was a good one!
Nice people and fun work
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 22, 2018
There's always another exciting project to start working on next. Leadership conferences, hosting seminars, and providing leadership development sessions are just a few of these projects. Great people!
Good.
Teaching Assistant, Data warehousing & Data Mining (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2018
It seemed okay to work. Since I was a student, had worked in University Of Utah. Overall work culture is good. The learning was good here in the university and hopefully god networking is possible.
a good experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, Utah, USMay 12, 2018
- The University of Utah is a fantastic school with lots of knowledgeable professors
- a very good work environment
- be respected by other coworkers
- learned a lot of good information from this job
Good Learning Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 11, 2018
Great research experience. Learned about MRI and honed my skills in MATLAB. Also was able to present research in public forum. Learned about cardiology.
Pros
Learned research skills
Cons
Low pay
University of Utah
Epic Application Analyst / Builder (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 9, 2018
Workplace is very quiet and unless its a training for Medical staff. I've trained ALL Medical Staff on different Epic Modules and have enjoyed it for the past 71/2 years.
Some locations are good, some are horrible.
administrator (Former Employee) –  University of Utah HospitalMay 9, 2018
There are many places on the University of Utah that are great places to work. Except for high deductible health insurance, which is uniform, different departments and divisions have a completely different work ethos, culture, etc. I worked at University of Utah Hospital for 16 years, with only the last two years being awful due to some politics you might have read about in the paper, which resulted in the firing of the VP for Health Sciences. Unfortunately, that situation resulted in a complete lack of oversight downstream and allowed my bad boss to show his true self.

Until the last couple of years, it was a great place to work, doing interesting things that were meaningful. I hope it recovers soon and gets back to being its good self. Salaries are low for the workload, and although management brags about the health insurance, my friends in industry said it sucked, and when I changed to an industry job I found out that they were right. Not a good place to have a chronic health condition (and yes, I do see the irony).

Having said all that, there are many great people, I just happened to be supervised by a clunker.
Pros
free bus pass, the non-medical campus is cool
Cons
they will use you up and throw you away at University Hospital
Productive and Fun workplace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 4, 2018
University of Utah is an excellent place to work with amazing benefits. IT is located in the beautiful salt lake valley and allows for various outdoor recreational activities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Utah. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight