University of Virginia Health System Employee Reviews

If you like high job stress and disrespect this is your employer
Administration (Former Employee) –  Medical centerMay 20, 2018
Unfortunately much of ones experience depends on skill level and emotional intelligence of your manager, which is not prevalent at any level of management. It is a caste system - if you're an MD, direct health care provider or upper mngmt you can behave badly without consequence. Otherwise you will not be valued or respected.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Culture, management, chaos
overall
Colorectal Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903April 30, 2018
All places could use improvement when it comes to the workplace. This place is no different. A typical day is busy, which is a plus for me. But there is a lack of checks and balances in some areas that could make things better.
Pros
salaried position
Cons
lack of checks and balances
Productive workplace
Transporter I (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 12, 2018
Good benefits and management, but low pay for the cost of living in the area. Safety standards appear to be high but are not quite effective as studies have shown.
Pros
Pto, flexible, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, rate of infection, pay
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 11, 2018
UVA is a great place to work. The people who work there are very nice and that make for a great work environment. Pay and benefits are good. Management is always willing to work with you.
Great place to advance your career.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 2, 2018
UVA is full of opportunities and it is a great place to learn to advance ones career. Management will vary based on department and service line so I can only comment on what I know. My manager is lacking in visibility and availability, even at a Director level. (I've heard this is typical of directors and not as much of administrators.) UVA could provide more options to work from home as many of their employees commute 30 minutes to an hour from home. Devoting to better patient care would include investing in the well-being of employees and allowing them opportunities to enhance work-life balance, even for those that don't have direct patient care responsibilities. As with any organization, there are opportunities, strengths, and weaknesses. Would be beneficial to have someone bridge the disconnect between departments
Great Place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 8, 2018
UVA Health system is not only a great place to work but a great place to grow. We were always treated well and with great respect. Only con is having to ride the bus since there isnt parking on location.
Strategic place to work for
Access Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 22, 2018
Working here at UVA Medical Center, has it's perks with benefits. They have great rewards where you can get discounts and health benefits, They are about patient care, for sure.
Outpatient Imaging Center was a great place to work..
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903February 16, 2018
I worked at an outpatient imaging center for about 8 months. I worked at the main Medical Center for 14 years. The outpatient imaging center was a great place to work. The Manager and Chief Technologist were excellent to work for and my co-workers were a lot of fun. However, the radiology department at the Medical Center was a very high stress area. The lead technologist in the department is very rude and seemed to belittle fellow technologists. Department morale was very low and several technologists have left to go to other departments in the hospital or have left altogether. I would not recommend anyone working in the main radiology department under those situations. You should enjoy your job, not go home stressed every day and dreading going to work.
Pros
Outpatient imaging center is great!
Cons
Radiology department at main hospital is stressful and morale is very low.
Excellent Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 11, 2018
I've been working at the UVA Health System for over 20 years. While it is an excellent place to work, I am looking for a change of pace and scenery. Nevertheless, I would recommend it as a place for long term employment.
I wish I still lived in Charlottesville!
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 4, 2018
UVA was the best place I have ever worked. I really miss the culture, the pride, the unity, everything! The school community itself is great and working for a top hospital is honorable. Pay is good and when problems arise, they get addressed professionally.
Cons
We are researching very interesting topics related to the nature of the mind/body relationship.
Research Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 15, 2017
I enjoy the wide variety of tasks and duties I have in my job. The subject matter is endlessly interesting and I have a flexible schedule. There are ample opportunities to meet very interesting and unusual people in this job.
Pros
I have an excellent amount of vacation time.
Cons
I would like to enjoy a substantial increase in my salary.
Overall Great Place
Registered Nurse Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 9, 2017
Overall, UVA Medical Center was a great place to work. As an academic medical center, they care about your educational advancement and research ideas. Decently adequate PTO and insurances are rather cheap for a single person. Wonderful place to begin a career.
wouldn't do it
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 28, 2017
Lots of backstabbing, bad work culture for nurses. I wouldn't work there again if I had a choice. Almost 75% nursing turnover on the unit I worked on within a year.
Worked as RN in STICU for 6 years- will never find a better place to learn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 11, 2017
An incredible variety of patient populations, something I've never seen elsewhere. The Nurse and Attending relationship is phenomenal- half of rounds our attendings just watch the RN to confirm the report of the resident. Very receptive to a collaborative approach and supportive of nursing research
Pros
Best team you'll ever work with
Cons
Very tasking job from a work load/physical/emotional standpoint
A very nice medical center to be apart of.
Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903August 10, 2017
I enjoy working at the University of Virginia, helping make sure that new patients with cancer get scheduled to see the correct care provider in a timely manner. I also work with GREAT physicians.
Pros
Great Physicians, kind patients, and fantastic patient care.
Cons
Salary.
Educational Health Care
RN- Clinician I & II (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 31, 2017
Positive environment for educational experiences. Innovative healthcare focused on providing education to healthcare professionals. Fast paced and leading in healthcare knowledge
Great staff and great benefits and a hands on way to learn more about the way a person's mind works who suffers from mental health issues
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 28, 2017
This is one of the best places to work. I was able to be a part of a direct link in helping a patient receive the care needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Pros
401K and PTO and benefits
Cons
Delayed raises
Big Joke
EMS Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 27, 2017
Only good thing about UVA is the pay and benefits. Management is a joke, they only worry about themselves. They don't respect you, promise one thing and do another, they don't value your opinion.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything from management down
Job Growth Opportunity
Manager, Epic Phase 2 Implementation Project (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 27, 2017
Supportive environment if you want to learn all you can and have opportunities for growth. Hard to get permanent employment with the University of Virginia but once you are in, it is easy to meet new people and build a supportive resource group.
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 19, 2017
Getting there at 7a performing your clerical duties assisting the nurses, Dr.s, PCA's. its a great place to work if you can multitask in a busy atmosphere. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the employees you worked with and getting to learn soething new on a daily basis.
Pros
Everything bout the job was good
Cons
nothing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Virginia Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of Virginia Health System Reviews by Location