University of Virginia Health System

University of Virginia Health System Employee Reviews

United States366 reviews
Featured review
University of Virginia Health System selected this as a representative review
Fast-paced work environment that requires the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities. A collaborative culture within the department but can be difficult to navigate the matrix organization.
The most enjoyable part of the job was serving patients. My management team was amazing, very understandable and supporting of the idea that I want to keep growing in the medical field.
Pros
Lots of events during the holidays.
Cons
Sometimes if it was too busy in the floor, I could not take my 15min breaks.
They are very inconsistent in pt care. They are mostly homegrown locals working in Nursing Leadership and do not offer a dynamic environment or collegiality.
Love my patients and doctors they are always so appreciative for the work you do for them no matter how big or small.
They will always say thank you.

My scheduled hours are also good
Pros
Doctors I work with a great
Cons
Work with immature adults. Management allows favorites and waste
If you enjoy condescending managers, this is the place to be. Unless you have the "right" license, managers and those above you place your value far below their level.
If you consistently strive to be honest in your work, you are treated with disdain .Higher-ups will insinuate that you are lying if your description of events differs from those with a higher degree.

The University claims a culture of respect, yet shows little to none for its employees.
Pros
pay is adequate
Cons
treatment of employees
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
They are often MIA, Residents say they don't get any support. Attendings often caught sleeping during work hours. Chasing females around. Use job as dating vehicle or nanny recruitment. Attendings see patients only 2.5 days a week. They disappear during the day with patients left waiting in the chair. Always late. Never meet with team. No communication.
I have been working her for 16 years and have really enjoyed the support of management as well as the excellent care provided to our patients! Excellent group to work with!
I thought there would be more opportunities to learn and advance. At times I feel there is a punitive culture and not enough praise. The work environment fluctuates without notice.
Typical "mission statement" toting company where the mission statement and the other things on the wall really don't reflect the reality. If you're transferring to the hospital for a sense of purpose and to escape the corporate grind be sure to enjoy your first couple of months before you realize how much of a business this is.
Productive, innovative worked as clinician 3, charge nurse occasionally.
Voted Er nurse of the year. Last five years I worked as a PACU nurse.

Received recognition for discovering that patient from a state mental

health institution were he was total isolation secondary to his violent

behavior. This information was relayed to my charge nurse, who let the Nurse Manager on unit was to go. As a result security guards syed in patients room twenty four hours daily, until patient was returned to

mental institution.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Virginia Health System?
Nobody appreciates any individual! Very stressful and not rewarding . Patients are difficult and have a huge sense of entitlement. Management does not support nursing
Pros
Nothing..., I strongly, disliked, working, there
Cons
Just, about, everything... the, job, is, one of e most stresful thankless job I have ever worked in 30 years of nursing
Employees are treated as expendable at best or as little more than refuse at worst. Nepotism runs rampant, petty backbiting and gossip abound, and every group of employees disrespects every other group of employees. Working here drained my will to live.
An 8 hr. day easily turns into a 10-12 hr day w/o bathroom and lunch breaks. Salaried staff are taken advantage of since they receive no overtime pay. There are many opportunities for learning and being an academic medical center, there are top-notch research facilities to improve patient care. Management is too far removed from the front line staff and does not understand needs related to patient care. They often mandate policies without input of front line staff which results in failure. The most difficult part of the job is all the paper work. The best part is helping patients and knowing I made a difference in their life that day.
Working in the pharmacy gave me the opportunity to meet a wide diversity of people.
There were many changes in this department .

I am a retired employee ..............................
Pros
Opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Everyone should be a team player.
Great place to work. Education, 401K, health insurance benefits make this job a blessing. Plenty of on the job learning. Because it is a learning hospital, there is plenty of excitement.
Excellent Benefits, Friendly and professionally atmosphere, innovative, excellent patients services. The hardest part sometimes lack of personnel or technicians.
great benefits
strong leadership

fair salary

encourage further educational opportunities

team building activities

most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with patients and coworkers
I came in as a travel nurse and did staff relief and various outpatient clinics. Overall the nursing supervisors were rude and very inappreciative of the help. Most of the fellow nurses were nice and helpful. Lots and lots of drama and gossip on the units.
I have never worked for a company that doesn't have a good management system. With no positive work environment, Without any support from the worker. Making their employees do uncalled for work.
It is great working with the team I am with. I really enjoy coming to work. I have been here for 6 years and love coming in to work. I love the help I am able to provide for our patients.
1. Positive values- patients welcomed and safe
2. Relaxed and productive atmosphere

Coworkers and I feel comfortable in a relaxed setting bright broad windows to view the outdoors

3. Commitment to excellence

We strive to be the best and to deliver great customer services. We take responsibility for their actions and decisions.

4. Sense of humor

We keep things in perspective, have fun, and laugh

5. When is cold outside they do not PROVIDE us with heat and commidations
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Virginia Health System. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight