University of Virginia Health System Employee Reviews

N/a
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 1, 2018
It's great to work here, definitely a learning experience but when it comes time to relocate or wanting to go somewhere else the managers doesn't allow it because the staffing of the unit is short.
Cons
Short breaks
Working at the Elson Student Health Center.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist II (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 6, 2018
I worked in a very busy STAT laboratory at the Elson Student Health Center at UVA. I learned to be compassionate and treat everyone professionally as well as to multi-task efficiently. The hardest part of my job at times was to work with less help due to call out or employee time off with no replacement. The most enjoyable was working with a great group of understanding health care professional in a very nurturing and caring environment.
Pros
Pay was good.
Cons
Working in my lunches in according to the work flow, sometimes less than 1/2 hour for lunch or no lunch. Also, being short handed and working a lot of overtime.
Excellent Hospital System
Nurse Liaison Schwartz Center Rounds (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 23, 2018
I worked for the Nursing School, the Hospital and Medical School. All were professional, collaborative and easy places to work. There were many opportunities with each system and all schools and the Hospital worked together.
Need for improvement
Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 13, 2018
There are many aspects of UVA that are great but there are times when you feel undervalued. The level of your job should not dictate how you are treated.
Great environment
Senior Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 21, 2018
Productive and educational place to work. You get to see first hand how compassionate the providers and staff are towards their patients and visitors.
If you like high job stress and disrespect this is your employer
Administration (Former Employee) –  Medical centerMay 20, 2018
Unfortunately much of ones experience depends on skill level and emotional intelligence of your manager, which is not prevalent at any level of management. It is a caste system - if you're an MD, direct health care provider or upper mngmt you can behave badly without consequence. Otherwise you will not be valued or respected.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Culture, management, chaos
workplace culture
Clarity Data Model (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 11, 2018
it was a good place to work if you have a family, but the pay was low and did not advance quickly. I don't have anything else to say, just meeting the requirement
overall
Colorectal Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903April 30, 2018
All places could use improvement when it comes to the workplace. This place is no different. A typical day is busy, which is a plus for me. But there is a lack of checks and balances in some areas that could make things better.
Pros
salaried position
Cons
lack of checks and balances
Productive workplace
Transporter I (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 12, 2018
Good benefits and management, but low pay for the cost of living in the area. Safety standards appear to be high but are not quite effective as studies have shown.
Pros
Pto, flexible, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, rate of infection, pay
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 11, 2018
UVA is a great place to work. The people who work there are very nice and that make for a great work environment. Pay and benefits are good. Management is always willing to work with you.
Great place to advance your career.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 2, 2018
UVA is full of opportunities and it is a great place to learn to advance ones career. Management will vary based on department and service line so I can only comment on what I know. My manager is lacking in visibility and availability, even at a Director level. (I've heard this is typical of directors and not as much of administrators.) UVA could provide more options to work from home as many of their employees commute 30 minutes to an hour from home. Devoting to better patient care would include investing in the well-being of employees and allowing them opportunities to enhance work-life balance, even for those that don't have direct patient care responsibilities. As with any organization, there are opportunities, strengths, and weaknesses. Would be beneficial to have someone bridge the disconnect between departments
Great Place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 8, 2018
UVA Health system is not only a great place to work but a great place to grow. We were always treated well and with great respect. Only con is having to ride the bus since there isnt parking on location.
Strategic place to work for
Access Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 22, 2018
Working here at UVA Medical Center, has it's perks with benefits. They have great rewards where you can get discounts and health benefits, They are about patient care, for sure.
Outpatient Imaging Center was a great place to work..
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903February 16, 2018
I worked at an outpatient imaging center for about 8 months. I worked at the main Medical Center for 14 years. The outpatient imaging center was a great place to work. The Manager and Chief Technologist were excellent to work for and my co-workers were a lot of fun. However, the radiology department at the Medical Center was a very high stress area. The lead technologist in the department is very rude and seemed to belittle fellow technologists. Department morale was very low and several technologists have left to go to other departments in the hospital or have left altogether. I would not recommend anyone working in the main radiology department under those situations. You should enjoy your job, not go home stressed every day and dreading going to work.
Pros
Outpatient imaging center is great!
Cons
Radiology department at main hospital is stressful and morale is very low.
Excellent Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 11, 2018
I've been working at the UVA Health System for over 20 years. While it is an excellent place to work, I am looking for a change of pace and scenery. Nevertheless, I would recommend it as a place for long term employment.
I wish I still lived in Charlottesville!
Patient Access Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 4, 2018
UVA was the best place I have ever worked. I really miss the culture, the pride, the unity, everything! The school community itself is great and working for a top hospital is honorable. Pay is good and when problems arise, they get addressed professionally.
Cons
We are researching very interesting topics related to the nature of the mind/body relationship.
Research Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 15, 2017
I enjoy the wide variety of tasks and duties I have in my job. The subject matter is endlessly interesting and I have a flexible schedule. There are ample opportunities to meet very interesting and unusual people in this job.
Pros
I have an excellent amount of vacation time.
Cons
I would like to enjoy a substantial increase in my salary.
Overall Great Place
Registered Nurse Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 9, 2017
Overall, UVA Medical Center was a great place to work. As an academic medical center, they care about your educational advancement and research ideas. Decently adequate PTO and insurances are rather cheap for a single person. Wonderful place to begin a career.
wouldn't do it
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 28, 2017
Lots of backstabbing, bad work culture for nurses. I wouldn't work there again if I had a choice. Almost 75% nursing turnover on the unit I worked on within a year.
Worked as RN in STICU for 6 years- will never find a better place to learn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 11, 2017
An incredible variety of patient populations, something I've never seen elsewhere. The Nurse and Attending relationship is phenomenal- half of rounds our attendings just watch the RN to confirm the report of the resident. Very receptive to a collaborative approach and supportive of nursing research
Pros
Best team you'll ever work with
Cons
Very tasking job from a work load/physical/emotional standpoint

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Virginia Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight