University of Virginia Health System Employee Reviews

Not what it used to be
ACUTE CARE NURSE PRACTIONER (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 3, 2019
I can summarize my work experience in a few sentences. I worked at UVA for 23 years with distinguished service. My patient's loved me. It took less than 3 weeks for them to fire me. For violating a HIPPA policy. You are a shining star in academic nursing as long as you look good for the organization. Today, it is not about taking care of patients well, it is about looking good for the face of the company. At UVA I was the best asset when they could use me working 60+ hours a week. And paying me no overtime. I made a mistake and there simply was no discussion to reconcile. never harmed a patient. I just didn't look good any longer for risk management. So you get axed. that is the culture there as a nurse. Don't look good, spit you out.
Doctors can perform poorly, but they bring in the money and stay hired. Nurses make a mistake (one that gets paid what they think is well) and you get fired for them to hire another nurse making 25% LESS. that is the culture there now. I loved UVA for 22 years. Sadly, management and culture there is now so cutthroat and filled with fatty meat, it is impossible to trim. If you must, look here, otherwise spare yourself the toxicity.
Pros
Learning is fun
Cons
Bureaucracy in its finest, fatty meet that you can't trim. Filled with management you have no idea what they do.
Great Hospital
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 16, 2018
Loved My Job at UVa. The only reason I left employment there is due to me communting over 1 1/2 Hours. It became harder as I was working nightshift.I would love the opportunity to go back one day.
They treat you like a slave
Nurse (Former Employee) –  ChartlottesvilleNovember 30, 2018
There is significant employee turnover as well as being understaffed. The expectations did not match the job description or the information provided in an interview. They monitor your movements by walking around looking for you and also using the security cameras to monitor. UVA is easily described as a horror for any competent talented staff
Finance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 24, 2018
Productive and fun place to work . Very organized. I recommend university of Virginia for best employer in Charlottesville. Management care about the employees.
Very Steady
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 13, 2018
The ability to see a Patient satisfied and in good spirit is a blessing. I have learned a lot of the past 10 years. There is great opportunity for growth in certain departments.
N/a
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 1, 2018
It's great to work here, definitely a learning experience but when it comes time to relocate or wanting to go somewhere else the managers doesn't allow it because the staffing of the unit is short.
Cons
Short breaks
Working at the Elson Student Health Center.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist II (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 6, 2018
I worked in a very busy STAT laboratory at the Elson Student Health Center at UVA. I learned to be compassionate and treat everyone professionally as well as to multi-task efficiently. The hardest part of my job at times was to work with less help due to call out or employee time off with no replacement. The most enjoyable was working with a great group of understanding health care professional in a very nurturing and caring environment.
Pros
Pay was good.
Cons
Working in my lunches in according to the work flow, sometimes less than 1/2 hour for lunch or no lunch. Also, being short handed and working a lot of overtime.
Excellent Hospital System
Nurse Liaison Schwartz Center Rounds (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 23, 2018
I worked for the Nursing School, the Hospital and Medical School. All were professional, collaborative and easy places to work. There were many opportunities with each system and all schools and the Hospital worked together.
Need for improvement
Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 13, 2018
There are many aspects of UVA that are great but there are times when you feel undervalued. The level of your job should not dictate how you are treated.
Great environment
Senior Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 21, 2018
Productive and educational place to work. You get to see first hand how compassionate the providers and staff are towards their patients and visitors.
If you like high job stress and disrespect this is your employer
Administration (Former Employee) –  Medical centerMay 20, 2018
Unfortunately much of ones experience depends on skill level and emotional intelligence of your manager, which is not prevalent at any level of management. It is a caste system - if you're an MD, direct health care provider or upper mngmt you can behave badly without consequence. Otherwise you will not be valued or respected.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Culture, management, chaos
workplace culture
Clarity Data Model (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 11, 2018
it was a good place to work if you have a family, but the pay was low and did not advance quickly. I don't have anything else to say, just meeting the requirement
overall
Colorectal Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903April 30, 2018
All places could use improvement when it comes to the workplace. This place is no different. A typical day is busy, which is a plus for me. But there is a lack of checks and balances in some areas that could make things better.
Pros
salaried position
Cons
lack of checks and balances
Productive workplace
Transporter I (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 12, 2018
Good benefits and management, but low pay for the cost of living in the area. Safety standards appear to be high but are not quite effective as studies have shown.
Pros
Pto, flexible, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, rate of infection, pay
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 11, 2018
UVA is a great place to work. The people who work there are very nice and that make for a great work environment. Pay and benefits are good. Management is always willing to work with you.
Great place to advance your career.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 2, 2018
UVA is full of opportunities and it is a great place to learn to advance ones career. Management will vary based on department and service line so I can only comment on what I know. My manager is lacking in visibility and availability, even at a Director level. (I've heard this is typical of directors and not as much of administrators.) UVA could provide more options to work from home as many of their employees commute 30 minutes to an hour from home. Devoting to better patient care would include investing in the well-being of employees and allowing them opportunities to enhance work-life balance, even for those that don't have direct patient care responsibilities. As with any organization, there are opportunities, strengths, and weaknesses. Would be beneficial to have someone bridge the disconnect between departments
Great Place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 8, 2018
UVA Health system is not only a great place to work but a great place to grow. We were always treated well and with great respect. Only con is having to ride the bus since there isnt parking on location.
Strategic place to work for
Access Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 22, 2018
Working here at UVA Medical Center, has it's perks with benefits. They have great rewards where you can get discounts and health benefits, They are about patient care, for sure.
Outpatient Imaging Center was a great place to work..
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA 22903February 16, 2018
I worked at an outpatient imaging center for about 8 months. I worked at the main Medical Center for 14 years. The outpatient imaging center was a great place to work. The Manager and Chief Technologist were excellent to work for and my co-workers were a lot of fun. However, the radiology department at the Medical Center was a very high stress area. The lead technologist in the department is very rude and seemed to belittle fellow technologists. Department morale was very low and several technologists have left to go to other departments in the hospital or have left altogether. I would not recommend anyone working in the main radiology department under those situations. You should enjoy your job, not go home stressed every day and dreading going to work.
Pros
Outpatient imaging center is great!
Cons
Radiology department at main hospital is stressful and morale is very low.
Excellent Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 11, 2018
I've been working at the UVA Health System for over 20 years. While it is an excellent place to work, I am looking for a change of pace and scenery. Nevertheless, I would recommend it as a place for long term employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Virginia Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight