University of Virginia Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great
Organic Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 15, 2018
Working as a student allowed me to be more responsible, and it is a quality that I carry with me even now. As a teaching assistant, the culture we created was that of positive peer education.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 7, 2018
I worked as a graduate assistant for a professor in the commerce school. He was awesome to work with and I learned a lot on the job helping him with his undergraduate course
I am sure this is different for everyone
Course Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 23, 2018
I worked as a course assistant for multiple courses within the statistics department at UVA. The hours were flexible and the wages were about comparable to those of the other departments.
Great Place
PATIENT GUEST SERVICES LEAD (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 8, 2018
UVA is a great place to work. The work place is relaxing and laid back depending on the department that you work in. The most enjoyable part of my day was helping patients.
Pros
Job security
Cons
parking
Very stressful place with way to much politics
Bean counter (Former Employee) –  AcademicsApril 16, 2018
If you have other options take them. Parking is an absolute disaster that cost Way to much. Buses are seldom on schedule and very crowded. There is just very weak leadership.
it was not fun
Assisted the Catering Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 11, 2018
I didn't like working early in morning because I didn't have any rides in the morning or late nights in the catering department. I had to wait until the event was over with to eat then we had to clean up afterwards. I had to clock out every time for break.
Pros
I like meeting new people
Cons
Short breaks
Office managed by clueless acedemics
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oyster, VAApril 9, 2018
I worked there for 11 years because the job was in a field I love and in which I have a Master's degree. Unfortunately, the staff are underpaid and treated as peons by the ivory tower academics in Charlottesville who haven't a clue how things work in the real world.
They have no concern for the staff's safety, are incapable of learning from persons who have far more real world experience than they do and have an intolerable attitude of superiority.
The supervisors excel in micromanaging people who know how to do their job far better than the supervisors and take a perverse joy in putting down their employees.
A perfect example is they insist on calling their field persons technicians, when they were officially hired as specialists - which is officially a higher, more advanced classification under the state employment system. They were informed of the difference by myself and other employees in the position and they insist on constantly using the inferior terminology to denigrate their employees at every opportunity.
I'm referring to the field office in Oyster, on Virginia's Eastern Shore called the ABCRC LTER lab.
It is a shame, the place has loads of potential if they could wrest it away from the cadre of small minded people who operate it like their own little fiefdom.
Pros
Field work, beautiful, secluded outdoors atmosphere
Cons
Small minded mircomanagers who run the place
good
MRI Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 30, 2018
it takes time but cream rises to the top
you take the good w bad
look at face book
tells a story
the good left before the bad and the ugly
Learning was the best part
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
teaches pet broke all the rules
fun paced work environment
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 11, 2018
It was a fun place to work. I learned a lot at the work place. the entire staff was friendly and kind. They all took their time to teach me the proper way to work.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
no benefits
Outsourcing is just another way of saying we're here for you, sort of.
Systems Support (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 6, 2018
UVA is currently outsourcing most of its server and desktop administration to Microsoft 365. As everyone knows, Windows is the safest operating system on the planet. What could go wrong?
Pros
In Charlottesville
Cons
great place to work in a great city
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 3, 2018
UVA and Charlottesville are great place to work and live in. My advisor was very supportive and I learned a lot from my experience at the university.
Excellent benefits package
Unit Secretary/ Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 3, 2018
Great benefits ( vision dental etc)but as far as salary for health unit coordinator not fair compensation. Everything revolves around the register nurses.
Good Job But Watch How You Speak.
Prop Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 1, 2018
The lack of communication within the department causes constant unnecessary burdens and stress. That being said the benefits will keep you coming to work.
No advancement
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 26, 2018
Must leave institution for career advancement. No room to make big impact. Very political. Benefits and pay less than other higher education locations. Charlottesville too expensive.
Excellent environment
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 24, 2018
UVA was my first personal training job. I was nervous but I was trained well and my co-workers had confidence in me. I was allowed my autonomy but also expected to follow the rules which was easy. They aren't overbearing. I was allowed to make my own schedule with clients and decline taking one on if my workload was too heavy. There are several gyms on campus that we could train clients at, and we were allowed to train there ourselves for free. It was a great place to work and I was really sad when I had to leave.
Limited advancement potential
Laboratory Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 11, 2018
When you work for any academic lab, you will never make even half as much as you can in industry. The hours are good, benefits are great, work atmosphere is good. But without competitive pay and no advancement potential, it's not worth staying.
no money, good benefits
Lab Specialist Senior (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 8, 2018
good health insurance, you won't get rich, very low pay for the amount of work expected of you. No overtime pay. If you work in research your job is very precarious-funding problems and the Investigators heading the lab can be real jerks.
Pros
education
Cons
low pay
Tennis coach
Tennis Coach (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 1, 2018
As a tennis coach at the University of Virginia, I provided direction and instructional support to local kids looking to improve their tennis skills over the summer.
Productive and collaborative enviroment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 23, 2018
Quick paced but still relaxed and collaborative environment with plenty of research opportunities. Plenty of high-end equipment available for all researchers allows for advanced science.
UVA has a highly competiive athletic department and staff are expected to be the role models and leaders with that vision of excellence
Sport Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 20, 2018
1. scheduled mental health and/or performance appointments with 10 athletes/day. Worked closely with coaches, strength/conditioning, academics, nutrition, and athletic medicine.
Attended practices and competitions. Collaborated with other university mental health and medical resources.
2. this program was the first of its kind at UVA. Work load required that I hire an additional full-time psychologist. Also, provided two 10-hour/week supervised opportunities for doctoral-level psychology graduate students
3. Workplace culture was competitive and collaborative
4. Most challenging part of the job was working with extreme clinical mental health issues of student-athletes
5. Most enjoyable part of this position was seeing student-athletes matriculate through 4 years of demanding academic and athletic requirements, graduating, and going on to the next phase of life.
Pros
financial and administrative support