University of Virginia Employee Reviews

working at uva
Cancer Center Grants and Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 11, 2018
Always learning and no worry about lay off. Good steady place to work. Great benefits and ability to take classes and get a different degree. Highly focused on education.
Pros
security of job
Cons
Great start at a university
Secretary Senior (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 31, 2018
research department was a good start within the University. The staff was small which allowed more time for training and collaborating. Supervisor was open to administer change and open to new ideas to make the office run smoother. We got along really well. Very strict but manageable. Supervisor was direct and fair.
Pros
great school
Cons
small staff
Enjoyed my time there for over 32 years and part time for 6 years
Program Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 28, 2018
Enjoyed my time with UVa. Learned a lot of skills and help further my education while working there. Would highly recommend a place of employment to young people starting out.
Seemed ok
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 22, 2018
A little difficult to write a review. I was employed as an undergraduate teaching assistant for a year and simply graded papers and ran review sessions. Seemed like a nice place
Very rewarding place to work.
Fellowship Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 18, 2018
A typical day was spent working with medical professionals and administrative staff coordinating events, calendars and maintaining personnel folders.
I had a very proactive Team Leader. Always provided support to her administrative staff.
The most difficult part of the job is that physicians do not know how to provide feedback to their administrative staff.
I worked with a wonderful group of women on the administrative team.
Neurosurgery/ Neuro Oncology departments ( can't speak for other departments)
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 8, 2018
Working with these departments was extremely toxic. Staff are miserable bullies and the wellbeing needs for these particular departments are neglected and not understood by the university. I would not suggest working with either of these departments, there are plenty of other departments which are probably better.
Pros
Not too many, perhaps interesting/important work
Cons
Very stressful work environment, miserable coworkers
Not for me
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 18, 2018
Charlottesville is beautiful and some of the faculty are exceptionally wonderful, but the institution as a whole has an over-inflated estimation of itself. UVA is top-heavy with far too many deans.
Pros
Wonderful faculty colleagues
Cons
Top-heavy institution with way too many deans
Managers make the difference
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 13, 2018
Employee's experiences differ based on the manager that they have. I've worked with teams that I've truly enjoyed and met some amazing people. With changing management and structure came a lot of uncertainty and a lack of support.
Degrading pay
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 10, 2018
Seriously dont waste your time. No advancement. No incentive, sure they have great benefits but does that pay your bills? Is that worth your sanity? Would go to work every morning sick to the stomach due to stress of the workplace. And at UVA you can forget about resolving issues. Its filled with nothing but racism, sexist, selfish management. The only great reviews you will see about UVA come from people who are already highly paid. They tend to treat those who sit on their butts very well while those who are in their feet for all 8 hours get treated like trash.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management/pay/lack of advancement
Negative Work Environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 4, 2018
I only worked there a few months because the work environment was negative, this was supposed to be a teaching university and it seemed like nobody had any patience. The residence didn't know what to do during a code. The other nurses were very petty and like a pack (you were the outsider if you were new) and they talked about you behind your back and made things up. It was a hostile environment. Not for me.
Student
Global Internship (Former Employee) –  Ghent, NYAugust 23, 2018
I prefer a smaller setting where I can have more supervision and the ability to develop better relationships with my coworkers. At UVA, I often felt like just a number and felt that I did not have access to good feedback.
Awesome management. But they have no control.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 20, 2018
As a personal trainer. There is a low ceiling on pay. Once your in, you will not make more money. The parking is ridicules. As a personal trainer you'll have to travel from one facility to another often. Clients travel a lot. So you wont get paid. No control over marketing .
Pros
Its a gym.
Cons
They don't hire this position full time..rare. no control over marketing
Senior Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 6, 2018
A typical day for me is making sure projects run smoothly, and are completed on time. I also manage in house trades and outside contractors. I enjoy working with people and solving problems.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Little room for advancement
general
Medic V (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 2, 2018
nice place to work. Offers many benefits for employees. parking is the only issue, since most employees must park at JPJ and ride buses to there destination.
Poor department management.
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 1, 2018
I worked in the Information Technology Department at UVA as a Network Distribution Technician. The people I worked with were great and helped me fit in as a new employee. My supervisor and department as a whole is very questionable. My supervisor had favorites within the work place and let those individuals get away with a lot that he would otherwise scold the rest of us for even mentioning. When we tried to resolve it, my supervisor completely ignored us and even encouraged his favorites to inform him of our actions when he was not around. They were basically spying on us all the time. One individual focused on me and did everything in his power to have me fired because I out performed him in every aspect. My supervisor encouraged him and made my time there very difficult. He avoided certain parts of his job by not giving me badge access to areas I needed to work in and keys to the network closets I needed to work out of. Those are day one items he was supposed to complete. He had his departments HR work with him so that I could not report it. In the end I was "let go" but not fired. He said I was not a good fit for the department even though I exceeded what was expected of me but that if I wanted I could work at other UVA departments. Turns out, he intended to get rid of me before my first year regardless of my work performance. I intended to make a career out of it and even relocated my family to Charlottesville for this job only to be let go and put into unnecessary debt because of his ignorance and selfishness. DO NOT WORK FOR ITS! Oh, and to top it off, I was told that  more... I would receive an invoice for the time I used that year and I was to pay it back. He told me that it would be taken out of my last paycheck. It wasn't and I later received an invoice for the amount I owed. He once again lied and failed to do his job.  less
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Overall bad management and corruption within the Department.
Facilities Management becoming a dangerous workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 1, 2018
The benefits are ok, but management shaves peoples raises to keep for themselves.
The university has hired a lot of ex union engineers and management from failed companies and they are bringing in their failed policies to UVa.
There have been a lot of injuries and near death accidents since these people have instituted their SAFETY policies. I am leaving there not only to find another career, but maybe to save my own life.
Pros
A lot of time off
Cons
Small raises when and if you get one. Dangerous environment with clueless management
Great
Organic Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 15, 2018
Working as a student allowed me to be more responsible, and it is a quality that I carry with me even now. As a teaching assistant, the culture we created was that of positive peer education.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 7, 2018
I worked as a graduate assistant for a professor in the commerce school. He was awesome to work with and I learned a lot on the job helping him with his undergraduate course
I am sure this is different for everyone
Course Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 23, 2018
I worked as a course assistant for multiple courses within the statistics department at UVA. The hours were flexible and the wages were about comparable to those of the other departments.
Great Place
PATIENT GUEST SERVICES LEAD (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 8, 2018
UVA is a great place to work. The work place is relaxing and laid back depending on the department that you work in. The most enjoyable part of my day was helping patients.
Pros
Job security
Cons
parking