University Of Washington Employee Reviews

Culture and Management is not great
IT PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 12, 2018
If work/life balance, benefits and job security are at the top of your list this is the place for you. But the culture is challenging and the "executive" management doesn't provide a lot of support.

I enjoy my team and the work I do, it is challenging and provides me with a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
management style
I get paid well and I live in a beautiful place
Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Eatonville, WANovember 11, 2018
The hardest part of my job is living in such a beautiful forest and deciding which species of mushroom I should teach my students about on any given day.
Poor processes and procedures
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 10, 2018
The University of Washington Medical Center causes their employees to work harder, not smarter. The management implements procedures without understanding what an employee does.
Uw isc
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 8, 2018
I love working here with the benefits team, coming into this position was very new for me as I've never worked in benefits, but i do have a lot of experience reviewing paperwork, entering information, and processing forms so it wasn't that difficult to pick up Everyone is so friendly and helpful i hope this is a start to a long term career here at the UW.l
Flexible working enviroment and discussion
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
I have a good time to work in UW as a scientist. Overall UW is quite good place to work with people to persuade NIH grant based research. However, the salary is relatively low compared to company.
Political correctness over service
Traffic Guide (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 5, 2018
Long hours, low pay and a political climate that fostered 12 years of negotiated employee contracts being rejected by the state of WA legislature effectively canceling any salary increases. Morale was at best strained.
Pros
State employee benefits
Cons
No future
Good people, decent organization
Research & Budget Administrator, (SDRG) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 4, 2018
The organization that I worked for was the Social Development Research Group, (SDRG). This is a subset of the School of Social Work and relies on funding provided by attracting grants from a wide variety of sources.

While the work was generally enjoyable the (unavoidable) stress that is a natural part of the job is severe.

Leadership of SDRG was too often interested in assigning blame when a mistake was made or a problem arose. The effort given to assigning blame would have been better employed in looking for solutions. I am convinced that many issues were systemic in nature and deserved investigation as such.

Unhappily, few holding degrees below PhD were given serious consideration for their knowledge or experience.

This is a unit that does serious research but can take itself too seriously from time-to-time.
Pros
Salary, flexible schedule
Cons
Stress, politically correcct atmosphere.
A good place for learning and research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 2, 2018
UDub has good research environment and facilities. A good place for graduate for graduate studies and research. The university has really good sports facilities/gym as well.
average workplace with not much advancement opportunities
pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 2, 2018
No support for professional growth by management is biggest complaint of employees. There is not a measure of individual productivity or performance; annual evaluations are done but are based on a select few peer evaluations so they may not accurately reflect your performance otherwise. And although I consistently exceed expectations, there are no rewards for doing so. Working here with little encouragement from your management is disappointing.
Great place to make breakthroughs
Research Analyst - Lead (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 31, 2018
A typical workday involves communicating via email, reviewing literature and other information online, writing outlines, reviewing relationships between current practices dealing with related problems and proposed solutions to the problem at hand.

You learn whatever you want as long as it can still be used to get the job done (languages, tools, technologies, literature).

Direct supervisors check in on progress and provide some guidance regarding direction of the work, but generally leave you to implement the plan and get the work done. Slow or late delivery is met with more tasks that are smaller, sometimes slowing you down further, but also automatically course-correcting the project.

The workplace culture is uplifting, high-spirited, and requirements focused. However, it is few and far between since meetings occur once a week at most.

The most enjoyable part of the job is delivering novel solutions. It is implied that you just made something no one else has.
Pros
Experimental setting
Cons
Grant-based funding
Great coworkers and awesome environment
Seattle - Men's Locker Room Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 26, 2018
The guys you work with in the locker room are quality guys. You become friends with the people you work with, making the job much more enjoyable. Management is very understanding and open to criticism. It is a great opportunity to gain more customer service experience by often working one on one with the gym members. I have never had a day where I do not look forward to coming into work, instead I usually am trying to find ways to work more!
Pros
great work culture, low pressure
Cons
unruly or rude gym members
Very large employer
Medical Assistant, Dermatology (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 23, 2018
I learned so much working at UW! The staff and doctors are amazing. They are very large and the bureaucracy can be a bit much. They seem to focus on in patient and forget that out patient has different needs.
No room for growth terrible management
Human Resource Consultant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 23, 2018
Great co-workers.
Job Security was a plus.
Benefits are decent.
They promote work/life balance, but don't honor it.
Environment very micromanaged.
Easy work, but horrible execution and processes.
Management not open to hearing suggestions for improvement.
Favoritism.
Student
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 22, 2018
Senior project, didn't actually work here. I enjoyed going to school here. I like fishing. Sports! If I could jet ski to work, life would be better. I think the lake makes a better and larger road than what is currently available.
Excellent place to learn and grow in career. Good pay
Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 18, 2018
I enjoyed working with multi national community. It helped me learn lot of cultural differences which helped me better communicate with patients also. Every team member was willing to teach each other for career advancement. Manager was easy to work with.
It was... perfectly okay
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 18, 2018
The experience of a research engineer really depends on the professor that oversees one's work. In my case, my professor was really nice, but still had the personal agenda to reach tenure all professors have. I didn't need to contend with politics all that often, but I did see that the end was coming, and decided to leave for grad school on my own terms. It was okay, definitely not a long-term job by any stretch of the imagination.
Pros
Quiet, lots of autonomy
Cons
Not great for a beginner engineer
Poor Management and Underpaid
Fiscal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 17, 2018
The University of Washington underpays its employees in the Seattle area. There is terrible management, and it is very much a hierarchy. There are known problems but they are not addressed, even after there is evidence of concern. Often there are promised raises that take 6 months- 1 year to get, if they ever really go through.
It depends
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 16, 2018
One can't accurately rate the "University of Washington" as a whole. The university is a highly decentralized organization comprised of individual city states each with its own unique culture, organizational structure etc...

Having worked in the compliance area of the university, I would rate it very low in pretty much all aspects. There are far too many layers of management and there is no accountability at all. The culture of which I am a part, is dominated by a mentality of covering your behind in all aspects. Resources needed to perform the work are always in short supply, if non existent.

If not for good benefits and job security, I would prefer to not work here and live in a cardboard box.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Waste, no accountability, too much high level management
Billing Specialist/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 15, 2018
It was a good place to work. My job had variety, I wasn't always doing the same thing, l had many duties that I handled. I liked having hour long lunch breaks.
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks
Cons
health care
Solid graduate student experience.
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 15, 2018
Ability to take any courses I chose, and pursue various interests outside of my major.
TA/teaching responsibilities were taxing, but not overly burdensome, and often rewarding.
Less than ideal contract situation -- UW was not willing to increase wages with the increased cost of living in the area.