University Of Washington Employee Reviews

Good benefits including discounts. Strong union
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2019
Monday - Friday job
Learning opportunities/classes paid
It depends on management, I would say the last 2 years of new manager was discriminative and favoritism with certain people.
Work place culture was good
The hardest part of the job for me was communication. Lack of communication with management
Most enjoyable part of the job was multicultural environment with ethnic foods potluck
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits and free classes
Respectful work environment
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 7, 2019
I appreciate the UW work environment. Great attention to diversity, collaboration and work/life balance. I am offered opportunities for professional development and have great benefits.
Pros
Benefits and secure work environment
Cons
Traffic and commute
Enjoyed my time
Critical Care RN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 7, 2019
Worked with a good group of people that were friendly and quite helpful. The days went fast when we were busy and had support from everyone. It was a good place to work.
Temporary Services Positions
UW Temps Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 7, 2019
Worked in various departments around the campus. Gained so much knowledge about how a university or higher educational institute flows.
Worked from teaching hospital as orthopedic surgeon senior secretary, to assistant to the chair of the dean of school of medicine, school of social work, office of minority affairs, coordinating programs, supervising students, to hiring, training, etc.
Pros
Was great experience, learning all the university resources that would help me later in my full time job.
Cons
Travel
Poor Experience
Fiscal Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 2, 2019
Right off the bat, if you are a union employee, expect your wages to be cut drastically for your retirement. You cannot opt out. Meaning, I used to be paid $17 an hour and I brought more home a month. The amount that is taken for your retirement is DRASTIC. The commute is TERRIBLE. There is no aid in transportation costs and it is $125 a MONTH to park on campus. It is $75 to get a bus card.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Very productive and supportive for the employees
RN, Evening Charge (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2018
I have not much to complain rather I praise the company ; good resources provided and the employees encouraged to attend the classes and redeemed for the fees.
Pros
good benefits and pay scale
Cons
expensive meal cost
Excellent
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 23, 2018
My overall experience at the University of Washington in Seattle is excellent. Great and collaborative working environment as well as supporting staff.
A very good workplace, nice people, friendly manager and supervisors
Food Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 21, 2018
Manager and supervisors are very nice, they’ve been helping and training me both working and learning English a lot because I’ve been in the U.S. for only 2 years. And our priority in working is teamwork, that makes us working together effectively
Pros
Government benefits and insurance
Cons
Too far from home
it's okay
Medical Assistant/ Externship (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 20, 2018
its okay, I was here for externship. I feel like physicaians don;t like MA including nurses, they look really badly down at you since your only a " MA"
Pros
pay
Cons
people
Work life balance with education opportunities
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 14, 2018
Great work life balance and opportunities to further your education. Work on a beautiful campus that inspires. Convenient public transit allows you to leave your car at home.
Pros
Support to allow you to do your work effectively
Cons
Lower salary compared to other institutions and companies in Seattle.
Club Officer on campus
Club President (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 11, 2018
The school is beautiful, but the education programs are too focused on science and business. If you want to study anything else, your program will not be well funded.
It was your typical computer operations job
Computer operator 3 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 7, 2018
Was a great place to work for I'm kind of sad that I actually retired from the position I'd still be working there today if I didn't quit back in 1990
Insightful, fun, and rewarding!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 5, 2018
Absolutely love working here. Great supervisors and very rewarding experience working with instructors and students alike - learn something new every time.
Ask good questions during interview
Full Time Nurse Practitioner Urology (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 29, 2018
Make sure you get all your agreed requirements and agreements on legal paper, prior to accepting a position.

Make sure all job expectations are clear and documented prior to start date.
highly recommended
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98195November 21, 2018
Work at the UW was a wonderful experience as an Athletic Trainer. The Head Athletic Trainer who hired me believed in me and supported my career goals. I found my co-workers and other members of the UW Athletics staff to be approachable and helpful.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 20, 2018
No job is perfect but the University has great benefits and they pay well. They have things very organized and truly care about the patients. Its a great place
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2018
at least 16hrs/ week, working experience is excellent. Working environment is friendly and people are would like to help. You will get chance working on different project and learn different skills.
Not the culture I signed up for
Electronic Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2018
This is not the culture or the job I signed up for. Since I am union, they don't allow you to socialize at work. Little room for advancement. Management is only focused on themselves and is rude and belittles their staff. I barely lasted a week before I wanted to quit my job.
Productive and intelligent workplace in an academic setting
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2018
Typical work days included meeting with professors and students regarding their various needs, including determining which classes were most appropriate for students or helping professors sculpt their courses. I learned to communicate with an international community across diverse backgrounds and socioeconomic statuses. Management of various programs included keeping many details in order, prioritizing those that were of the utmost significance while also taking into consideration minute-by-minute requests from students and other colleagues. I appreciated the multi-tasking elements of the work, as it improved my cognitive functioning and sharpened my focus. The most difficult part of the job was making a mistake, but of course that's a part of life and I learned to let it go, improve my part that was pleasing for those impacted, and I continued to do an excellent job. This rarely happened but when it did, I learned. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community-oriented aspect of working with an international community on projects that impacted folks' worldwide.
Pros
Health insurance, community, fun work environment
Cons
Pay wasn't great
Culture and Management is not great
IT PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 12, 2018
If work/life balance, benefits and job security are at the top of your list this is the place for you. But the culture is challenging and the "executive" management doesn't provide a lot of support.

I enjoy my team and the work I do, it is challenging and provides me with a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
management style