University of West Florida Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Average
Director (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 9, 2018
Overall a good place to work. As a non-profit institution dependent upon government funding, accomplishing the mission to educate students and conduct research becomes muddied in the constant competition for diminishing dollars.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
divisive political climate
Want to be successful? Work here
Coach (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 12, 2018
UWF is a wonderful and unique place. It has incredible management that fosters a culture of success and winning. At times you will be pushed but it is due to everyone else being so successful. The standard is high there. Management does it best to foster this environment without applying to must stress. It is a remarkable achievement. If you want to be pushed to achieve more and become more successful, UWF is the place.
Resident Assistant/Lead Resident Assisstant
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 18, 2018
I worked for housing as an RA/LRA. It started off really good with best compensation program for housing RAs in Florida. A fact we were proud of. My time here took a 180 in my third year as I was pushed out of my LRA position in an upper Classman residence hall by my immediate manager who was new to the department. Pretty much it came down to he thought I should have been more proactive getting the residences more involved in housing activities and programs but what I feel he failed to understand is that we were not a freshmen hall. Most residents were older and established and frankly too busy and didn't need housing programs to teach them life skills or help making friends. The hall was known for this and previous staff and residents preferred it this way. He also wanted to replace me with a sorority friend of his who was a new RA in our hall so they could hang out more. Really poopy situation and upper management kinda just let it happen even though I was well liked by the majority of my peers across the department, had been recognized and awarded with several accolades from the housing department and my immediate manager from the previous year came to my defense with the department. :-p
Pros
compensation, once in a life time experience, would recommend
Fun Job, Good People
Student Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32514June 15, 2018
Working at UWF was a fun experience, and there was a strong fostered sense of community. Not just because it was a college campus, but between staff members - There were many events designed to bring them together and discover unique talents for all involved.
graduate assistant
Graduate Assistant (Executive Mentor Program) (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 7, 2018
I loved working at UWF. They take care of their employees and there are always opportunities to network and grow career wise. Everyone is connected in some way or fashion. Awesome work environment.
Pros
Free lunches, always some type of event, networking, career growth, sense of community
Loved the Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 5, 2018
Great research experience that put my foot in the door for other work. Would not recommend prolonged employment. Good start to a career but not an end goal.
Eran prácticas
Entrenador de fútbol (Former Employee) –  Estados unidosJune 4, 2018
al ser prácticas no tenia salario, pero la experiencia es increíble.
Positive establishment
DANCE TEAM VICE-PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 4, 2018
Great place to work and network. Friendly and open environment to meet new people and find where you fit in most. It is fast-paced but easy to get around and get things done.
Reasonable place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 4, 2018
I had good and bad experiences at UWF. I learned a lot about the type of work I currently do. However, very few individuals who performed leadership roles demonstrated effective collaboration as an important management skill.
The environment was not unpleasant at all. Colleagues were often courteous with some exceptions.
Not productive
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 3, 2018
They are not very helpful with the advancement of careers. They are not very approachable. The students are willing to be more helpful than the students.
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 1, 2018
Great people to work with. The college support you furthering your education a great deal. They will work around your work schedule to support your goals with schooling.
Pros
Work early get off early
Cons
pay
UWF lives up to the Pensacola's mediocrity
Undergraduate Employee (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 19, 2018
Being an undergraduate employee at this university was ok, not bad, but ok. I often faced horrible pay and job insecurity (you'll often get bumped from assignments for grad students on assignments). The best part is the convenience of the job, but I wished UWF would pay undergrad employees a fair wage.
Pros
Convenience
Cons
Bad pay
Great work environment
Receptionist/Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 11, 2018
It is a fantastic position, with great coworkers. I love my job, and I plan on applying for a full time position after I get my degree. I would highly recommend this employer.
Collaborative Environment
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 13, 2018
The staff and environment is a very friendly environment and yields a positive work place. The coaches are also very polite and receptive to the athletic trainers and their diagnosis on injury and recommendations to treatments. Overall positive environment.
Graduate Assistant
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 11, 2018
The Graduate Assistantships at UWF are varied. Most grads in my program are either Teacher's or Researchers Assistants. There are pros and cons to both, depending on your fields of interests. I like being a research assistant because I get more labratory experience and get to work on things that interest me. I'm very fortunate that my research ties into my goals for graduation.
Work between classes
Teacher's Asst. for CAD/ Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 6, 2018
Perfectly accommodate course scheduling conflicts. Diverse amount of opportunity for varying areas of experience ranging from facilitating to in class aid to grading to out of class tutoring.
UWF is the best
Graduate School Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 27, 2018
I worked at University of West Florida as a Graduate Assistant while I was attending the MBA program. I loved it. It was a nice, healthy, professional and smart place to work for. I had to leave after almost 3 years due to the fact that I graduated and the position is just available while someone is attending school.
Slow paced, Simple Culture
Student Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2018
As a student desk assistant, we were required to do what was asked of us, but everything was simple and easy to do. Good coworkers, management, and workplace culture. Meeting residents and helping them with their issues was the basics of the job.
Awesome on campus job
Student Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 23, 2018
Loved working for the housing department! They worked around my school schedule and gave me a lot of great skills for future jobs. Also, made lifelong friends and loved the management.
Pros
Flexible scheduling and fun environment
Cons
Limited hours
Not a bad place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 15, 2018
I worked as a graduate assistant and had a good experience. The faculty member I worked for was wonderful and I found this to be a very good learning experience.