University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Different Tasks every day.
Univ Business Specialist (Budget & HR Manager) (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 31, 2018
A typical day is that I don't have a typical day. I can be doing anything from HR, to Budget planning, to expense reports to event planning and training.
Interesting work with a variety of students and staff
Chief Investigator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 21, 2018
I enjoyed the Complaint Investigator position, which allowed me use skills I had cultivated at the Public Defender's Office. Also, I enjoyed the variety of cases, including staffing the Gay and Lesbian Rights Committee. I learned so much.
Pros
The work was interesting.
Cons
I had to commute 150 per day.
Welcoming but competitive place to work
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 27, 2018
Academic life is by definition competitive with long hours. While this is true at an elite research institute like the University of Wisconsin, the academic and support staff are incredible people and Madison is an amazing city.
Pros
location, right on the shore of Mendota Lake. Amazing campus community
Cons
very competitive with long hours expected
Nice place to start out
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 16, 2018
I don't recommend the night shift but if you need steady custodian work, it is a good job with reliable hours and good benefits. Employee appreciation is pretty good too.
Pros
The best thing is meeting and working with other people from different cultures
Well, it's state work.
Tree Pruner (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 15, 2018
It's working for the state and everyone working views it that way. everything gets done at a snails pace. If one is looking for a good retirement job the UW- Madison grounds department is the place to go.
Relaxed and quiet workplace.
IT and AV Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I had an IT position and was basically allowed to resolve issues any way I saw fit. My management trusted me to get the job done efficiently and as a result I learned a lot on my own through trial and error. Towards the end, I was able to figure out a solution to any issue within 10 minutes due to the sheer experience I had obtained there. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to converse with fellow employees because the management knew we would get the job done regardless. Hardest part was stubborn patrons that didn't allow you to do the work required to fix their issues.
Pros
Snacks, Open Work Environment, Flexibility
First Aid Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 11, 2018
Great place to work for self motivated people. Learned a lot about time management and running a successful classroom. I would work here again in a heartbeat.
Fun place to work
Internship, Food Service Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 4, 2018
I worked along side a very knowledgeable mentors that were a blast to work with. The work was varying and fun everyday the only problem was the pay. The pay was really not good, they were screwing over the student employees like myself. Also there are many internal problems in regards to accomplishing big projects where people who really shouldn't have a say get one that can cause issues on a grand scale.
Pros
Fun, meal discounts
Cons
Bad pay
It was nice.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2018
I was just a lab assistant. There were great people in the microbiology department while I was there. They were all a pleasure to work with. I had very flexible hours which was a huge benefit.
General Work Environment
Faculty Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2018
The department was a very supportive environment providing challenges, as well as opportunities for personal growth. Staff very easy to work with at all times.
Excellent graduate research program
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2018
Excellent research facilities and opportunities. Professors are top of their field and have a very high standard of research practices and quality. Ultimately this makes better researchers out of the graduate students, but makes for difficult work/life balance.
Pros
Health benefits
Excellent graduate research program
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2018
Pros
Health benefits
great place to start
Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 29, 2018
great environment to start a research career if you want to stay in academia. Very competitive and low career advancement.
Workplace is great, lifework balance is a plus
My position was a Teaching Assistant which was a competitive juried award.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 26, 2018
At the time I taught , I was a graduate student. I and about 150 other students applied for 6 open positions. A presentation of my work and interviews with a panel of 8 professors was required to be eligible for one of the Teaching Assistant jobs. I was awarded two classes a semester, teaching Design, Drawing I or Drawing II.
Pros
Opportunity to work with college students and guidance toward art careers.
Cons
Temporary position
A terrific place to work!
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 23, 2018
The experience provided ample opportunity for me to learn and grow as a professional. The cornerstone of my career. I look back upon that time as my halcyon days. I would recommend working at the UW-Madison to anyone. A great employer!
Program Assistant Confidential (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 17, 2018
Slow-paced but secure and friendly. I loved working for an office that supports their employees through counseling and consultation. This is a great benefit to all UW-Madison employees.
Pros
Great work-life balance
Cons
Not the best pay
Work in the athletic daprtment with PR
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 11, 2018
Depending on what sport I was working on would change what I would do in the office. Mostly working with women’s hockey, i would help write up articles for the team, edit pictures, create gifs, and many more media related things. Also worked with football, helping keep stats, gather up stats at the end of each quarter to pass out to media. I really enjoyed everything about this internship, as this is what i hope to do in my future.
Worked with the athletic department to give back to community.
Badgers Give Back Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 11, 2018
This was volunteer work, so when my schedule allowed me to participate it was a wonderful experience. We went anywhere from reading to kids at schools, to going to the children’s hospital on fridays to see sick kids. Being able to turn a kids day around by just being with them for a couple minutes is such a great feeling. There is nothing better than giving back to those who are in need of it, and those who support you, without even knowing you personally.
Good Professors, good learning experiences
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 2, 2018
Responsibility and individuality valued here. Many resources available for conducting research. Everyone is helpful and respectful. Would recommend to any student.
Go Badgers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 26, 2018
A great university run by people who want their state to go further. Is burdened by too many admins (true of all state universities) but more than makes up for it with world class research.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight