University of Wisconsin–Madison

University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

University of Wisconsin–Madison insights

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

very nice work environment with flexibility

This is for the Medical School. The management was very dependable and fair. The people were very kind and self motivated. It is an academic environment so things are a bit slow paced which is great for life balance.

Pros

Flexible work hours, great benefits, not a lot of pressure

Cons

slow paced and tiny bit beaurocratic

August 19, 2021
Thank you for your 5-star review of your time at UW-Madison's School of Medicine and Public Health!

Challenging and inspirational place to work in higher education

Great place to work if you like a professional work environment that promotes excellence in performance, diversity and equity. Research and teaching is set in a bureaucratic structure that creates a continuity for business management. A rich campus culture of public spaces, free educational events and community celebrations makes the University of Wisconsin Madison a place for everyone.

Pros

Reduced bus pass pricing, great benefits and leave time

Cons

Poor or expensive parking options, heavy traffic or congestion at times

July 26, 2021
Thank you for your 5-star review of your experience as a Department Administrator! We appreciate your insightful comments that show what a great place UW-Madison is to work!

Teaching Assistant

I am a Teaching Assistant and do not find much support in this position. I enjoyed the flexibility with choosing classes to teach, but felt limited support by mentors/professors.

July 12, 2021
We appreciate you taking time to provide a review of your Teaching Assistant experience. If you have other feedback you'd like to provide regarding the support, please feel free to do so at uwjobs@wisc.edu.

Learned a lot during my employment there. Good boss, although sometimes there is lack of communication.Pros: good learning environment.Lots of PTOGood benefit Cons: no work life balance

Pros

Good benefit

Cons

No work life balance

June 28, 2021
Thank you for your 5-star review of your previous experience on campus as a Molecular Biologist!

Easygoing work place with understanding boss

Overall a great job, worked for the school of education and it was the perfect job for an undergrad to have while juggling schoolwork. The management was very flexible.

June 28, 2021
We appreciate your Student Support review for your time at the School of Education!

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Excellent place to work

Great university and excellent research place for biological scientists. Massive collaboration opportunities and all types of cutting edge technologies are available here.

June 14, 2021
Thank you for your 5-star review of your experience as a Postdoc Research Associate here at UW-Madison!

Professionalism. Integrity. Passion. Sympathy. Pride.

The best employer I’ve ever worked for. You’ll have to see for yourself to truly believe it. I am in a happy place right now and this is going to sound a bit out there, but I think I may have found my dream job.

July 29, 2021
Congrats on finding your 5-star dream job! Best of luck in your career as an Animal Research Technician.

Desk Work and Fitness Monitor

Easy, flexible job. I currently have two jobs on campus and my supervisors are extremely understanding. They are also understanding when it comes to taking time off to study, etc.

Pros

Flexible

May 18, 2021
We appreciate your 5-star review of your experience here at UW-Madison.

Incredible benefits

UW-Madison offers employees incredible benefits. Management is inconsistent on different teams, but some management is terrific and supportive.The workplace culture is inclusive, and the best part is definitely the people you are working with.

Pros

Vacation time, teamwork

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement

May 20, 2021
We appreciate your review for your experience as a Research Technician.

Great Atmosphere, Work Culture, Flexible Schedule

Though research did not turn out to be my calling, my supervisors were incredibly understanding that my goals had changed and accommodated. We set a termination date and I fulfilled the expectations of my position accordingly. Great work environment, supportive co-workers, flexible schedule.

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Good benefits, ability to advance

May 20, 2021
Thank you for your feedback regarding your time as a Research Intern!

Jobs at University of Wisconsin–Madison

See more jobs

Great people

Good job, the bad management is gone, I think , most of the people were helpful and they offered the training I asked for. They don’t ask you to do more than you can handle.

Pros

Learning

Cons

Can be stressful

May 13, 2021
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience as a Senior Information Systems Business Automation Controls Specialist here at UW-Madison.

Productive and smart colleagues

It was a great work place and lots of opportunities for learning new techniques and collaboration. I highly recommend this university for both working and education.

May 3, 2021
We love collaboration! Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience here at UW-Madison.

Big place with opportunity

The UW is a big place and with such a large campus, it means there is a lot of room for opportunity to work within different schools or colleges. Every day is truly something new and the learning never ends. The opportunities to collaborate in your job and across campus is also important and contributes to employee engagement.

Pros

Collaboration, Learning

April 29, 2021
Thank you for sharing about your current experience here at UW-Madison.

Great building!

College of Education at UW-Madison. Great people and a great place to work. Served as public liaison for Dean's office on the phone and with visitors. Gave tours...all sorts of things. Very varied work environment.

April 29, 2021
We appreciate your 5-star review of your Office Manager role!

Good

It's a good place to start development of your career however as time goes by it is difficult to grow. Work can also get stagnant and during times like covid you may get deffered work.

March 23, 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to share out your experience as a Software Engineer. Please let us know if there is any other feedback you'd like to provide about growth at uwjobs@wisc.edu.

Very kind people dedicated to your success and well-being

The workplace culture is very good. The employees are excited about their jobs and doing them correctly, which greatly benefits my own drive in working.

March 23, 2021
Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience as an Advisor!

Good Benefits, that’s it.

Almost no professional development opportunities at all. They will find any excuse to deny raises, professional development opportunities, progress, new ideas...they are very anti-change and stuck in their ways that haven’t changed since...maybe the 1980s? I had a way better time working directly with the State of Wisconsin and extremely regret moving to the University. As an alum, it’s extremely hard to give such a negative review but it’s just that bad.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else

March 15, 2021
We appreciate you sharing your experience as a Financial Specialist II. If you'd like to provide additional feedback or discuss your experience further, please contact us at uwjobs@wisc.edu.

Good student job

This was a good job as a student. As a graduate student I had the opportunity to work with students and I learned a lot about a career in student affairs.

February 22, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience as a Graduate Student here at UW-Madison!

Great university to work for

I worked in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and always had a great experience. The workplace was busy and sometimes there were frustrating administrative pieces that come from working at a large organization but I always felt extremely supported and cared for my my colleagues and supervisors.

Pros

Great benefits

February 22, 2021
Thank you for your review of your time with the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences!

Strong focus on professional development

I worked for a short time at UW in a new position. The managers gave conflicting information and seemed unorganized. However, there were multiple group trainings and opportunities for professional development. They truly cared about employees having access to do their job effectively.

Pros

great benefits

February 1, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience as an Advisor and about employee's access to professional development.

Overall a good environment for graduate research assistant

Overall a good environment for graduate research assistant, good health insurance. They pay scale may vary across different department. My department's pay for RA is on the lower end. Most of the students and professors are very nice, intelligent and supportive

December 28, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as a Graduate Research Assistant!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight