University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Lot of work but great environment
Opera Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 2, 2018
Despite there being bumps in the road when first starting, the supervisor was really open to helping me along the way. Was very good about checking in to see how things were progressing. There was a lot of "new" jobs added as I went along, but they were tasks I could easily perform.
Pros
benefits, work my own hours
Cons
stressful deadlines
Cool and casual work environment
Assistant Director for Student Housing (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 27, 2018
As my first career job, Madison was fantastic and gave me a great opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge base. The campus was beautiful, the leadership supportive and the students were great
Pros
Casual, friendly
Cons
Winter weather
Nice school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2018
It is a beautiful school in the center of a comfortable city. The school is large and with good facilities. For modelers, the superclusters are powerful and managed by a great team.
perfect for study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 12, 2018
This is a perfect academic college. The only disadvantage of the university is that it does not have as many connections to industrial working opportunities as like other universities in a better location.
Again, this is ridiculous
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 10, 2018
You better not make me do this for every job on my resume. Why would you need this? There is no reason for you guys to do this. This is a ridiculous requirement.
Madison is an interesting place....
Research / Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 9, 2018
As with any large university, there is a lot of good and a lot of bad. There is certainly enough good for you to find if you are looking in the right places. Good luck finding those places though....
Hard work low pay.
Inventory Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 24, 2018
The hours are not good and for the pay the work is very demanding. Most of the people working there have been there for a number of years and are set in their ways, very reluctant to try anything new.
Dependent on Supervisor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 22, 2018
Experience with UW is highly dependent on your supervisor - some are excellent and others are overly demanding. If you choose well you will have a good time, but if not things will not go so well
Depends on Who's on Your Team
Writing Center Individual Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 21, 2018
UW-Madison can be a great place to work and grow if you have the proper support. A lot of people are there to advance themselves and will use you to make sure their own needs are met. If you have a supervisor that will help you, take the time out of the day to submit you for awards and advancement, it is a nice place to be.
A great place for professionals and students
KEY DESK LEAD (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 21, 2018
UW-Madison is a friendly and helpful environment. I enjoyed working with both students and parents to help make the most of their experience. Although it is competitive to get employment, the UW-Madison team wants what's best for its students and institution.
Awesome
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 8, 2018
Really enjoy working for the Universtiy of Wisconsin Madison. The experience has been one of greatest employment experiences and the benefits and flexablitiy are awesome.
Different Tasks every day.
Univ Business Specialist (Budget & HR Manager) (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 31, 2018
A typical day is that I don't have a typical day. I can be doing anything from HR, to Budget planning, to expense reports to event planning and training.
Interesting work with a variety of students and staff
Chief Investigator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 21, 2018
I enjoyed the Complaint Investigator position, which allowed me use skills I had cultivated at the Public Defender's Office. Also, I enjoyed the variety of cases, including staffing the Gay and Lesbian Rights Committee. I learned so much.
Pros
The work was interesting.
Cons
I had to commute 150 per day.
Welcoming but competitive place to work
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 27, 2018
Academic life is by definition competitive with long hours. While this is true at an elite research institute like the University of Wisconsin, the academic and support staff are incredible people and Madison is an amazing city.
Pros
location, right on the shore of Mendota Lake. Amazing campus community
Cons
very competitive with long hours expected
Nice place to start out
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 16, 2018
I don't recommend the night shift but if you need steady custodian work, it is a good job with reliable hours and good benefits. Employee appreciation is pretty good too.
Pros
The best thing is meeting and working with other people from different cultures
Well, it's state work.
Tree Pruner (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 15, 2018
It's working for the state and everyone working views it that way. everything gets done at a snails pace. If one is looking for a good retirement job the UW- Madison grounds department is the place to go.
Relaxed and quiet workplace.
IT and AV Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I had an IT position and was basically allowed to resolve issues any way I saw fit. My management trusted me to get the job done efficiently and as a result I learned a lot on my own through trial and error. Towards the end, I was able to figure out a solution to any issue within 10 minutes due to the sheer experience I had obtained there. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to converse with fellow employees because the management knew we would get the job done regardless. Hardest part was stubborn patrons that didn't allow you to do the work required to fix their issues.
Pros
Snacks, Open Work Environment, Flexibility
First Aid Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 11, 2018
Great place to work for self motivated people. Learned a lot about time management and running a successful classroom. I would work here again in a heartbeat.
Fun place to work
Internship, Food Service Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 4, 2018
I worked along side a very knowledgeable mentors that were a blast to work with. The work was varying and fun everyday the only problem was the pay. The pay was really not good, they were screwing over the student employees like myself. Also there are many internal problems in regards to accomplishing big projects where people who really shouldn't have a say get one that can cause issues on a grand scale.
Pros
Fun, meal discounts
Cons
Bad pay
It was nice.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2018
I was just a lab assistant. There were great people in the microbiology department while I was there. They were all a pleasure to work with. I had very flexible hours which was a huge benefit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss