University of Wisconsin–Madison
75Above average
4.5

University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

United States342 reviews
Excellent colleagues and the chance to be a part of a great educational institution.
I've worked at UW-Madison for most of my career. I never expected to stay as long as I have but my work is interesting and diverse, and I am fortunate to have wonderful colleagues.
Glass facilities with hot glass, cold working, flame working and casting studios
The University of Wisconsin is an educational facility.

The Glass Lab at University of Wisconsin-Madison includes

- Hot Glass studio

- Cold working studio
Not a good fit for out-of-state persons of color
Navigating workplace culture and negotiating work-life balance is the hardest part, especially for professionals of color coming from outside geographic locations. The situation may vary depending on departments, but I would not recommend working here if you come from outside of the state.
April 23, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. The University of Wisconsin–Madison is continually working to create a welcoming and inclusive community for students and employees from every background. The university’s Engagement, Inclusion and Diversity Initiative works to address our goal to recruit and retain diverse faculty and staff and create a work community where employees feel welcomed, valued, included and heard. We continually work to meet these goals. Navigating workplace culture and finding work-life balance is challenging in any new work environment. These challenges can be magnified when they are layered on top of our social identities. We are always looking for ways to understand these experiences so that we can better support the employee experience and create more equitable work environments If you would be willing, we would like to talk more with you about your experience and how we could improve and move forward. Please contact eid@ohr.wisc.edu if you would like to have this discussion.
Collaborative, stimulating, and intellectual
Usually the load of work seems hefty, but you will get a hang of it after a month. Effective communication will get you lots of perks, between you and colleagues, you and professors, you and students.
February 17, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience as a Teaching Assistant here at UW-Madison!
Awesome experience
Being able to research at an R1 university is a great opportunity and I am grateful for the insights and experience from researching here. I would recommend anyone to get the chance.
February 12, 2020
We appreciate you taking a moment to share about your great experience as a Research Assistant here at UW-Madison!
Great Collegues
The collegues in the office of Advancement, School of Education were all very helpful and warming.The atmosphere in the office is fantastic. It's relaxing to work there.
February 12, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience at the School of Education! We're so glad you enjoyed the atmosphere.
Fun Workplace and flexible hours
Coming from an exhausting day, it was nice to come to work and unwind with a casual and inviting atmosphere. The workplace culture was always positive and very laid back.
February 3, 2020
We appreciate your review. Thanks for sharing your 5-star experience as a Volleyball Referee!
Good people bad management
The people I worked with were a great group of people. Many of them became friends and close confidants. However, direct management for me was non-existent, there was little feedback until it was too late, and the struggle to get anything done was real.
January 27, 2020
We appreciate you leaving feedback about your experience as IT Support of Professional Services role. If you'd like to discuss your feedback further, please contact us at uwjobs@wisc.edu.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Wisconsin–Madison?
The U.W. was a fun productive place to work.
The U.W. overall was a great place to work I have made some very good friends there. People that have my best interest at heart I learned a lot from them about research.
January 21, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience as a Lab Animal Tech! Good friends and co-workers who have your best interest in mind make for a great work environment!
A nice work place full of nice people
The thing I like about PhD program here is that when you first join the program, you'll get to rotate in three different research groups. This will help you decide whether the lab will be a good fit for you or not.
January 13, 2020
Sounds like your experience in the PhD program has been a great one! Thank you for sharing.
I love my co-workers
I am on contract for a limited term. My co-workers and the management are very kind and professional. I have learned a lot while working here and feel more confident about my career because of it.
January 6, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience at UW-Madison! We're so happy to hear that the environment has been one that allows you to feel confident in your career.
Productive and collaborative lab experience
I was able to attain my doctorate degree in biomedical engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. My experience working in the vascular tissue biomechanics lab was excellent and allowed me to advance my scientific knowledge, skills, as well as presentation skills and networking.
November 18, 2019
Congratulations on your doctorate in biomedical engineering! Pairing education and hands-on experience is so important.
Rewarding and flexible job, poor direct supervision
I left my job due to lack of clear direction and expectations from my supervisor followed by complaints once work was not done to their expectations. It was also challenging to accomplish goals and tasks effectively at times when working within a very large somewhat bureaucratic system.
November 14, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're sorry to hear you did not have clear direction or expectations. If there's anything we can help in addressing for you please reach out to uwjobs@wisc.edu.
Graduate Student
Very high requirements. Managing course load, teaching requirements, and research is very demanding. Add to that preparing for qualifying and preliminary exams.
October 28, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience as a Biomechanics TA. We certainly understand that work and competing priorities can be demanding. Please let us know if there's any other specific information you'd like addressed about your experience by emailing uwjobs@wisc.edu.
Wide variety in jobs means a wide variety in professional experiences
UW is a very large institution and has many different types of positions with appropriately varying natures. I work on the academic side where individual departments and labs have large differences depending on the personalities of the people involved. I appreciated the flexible work schedule and the freedom to work on projects in the manner I thought would be most appropriate. But I know many others working in environments with completely opposite standards.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Positions may evaporate with non-renewal of funding
October 21, 2019
Thank you for providing a very informative and helpful review of your experience as an Assistant Scientist at UW-Madison!
Fun workplace
Great place to work and the people are great to be around. Competitive pay and great benefits. A fun environment and very relaxed but also focused on doing great work.
October 10, 2019
Thank you for your 4-star review! We're so glad you shared these great points about working at UW-Madison!
good workplace culture with quiet hours
Good workplace culture, good students, fun campus with lots going on. I worked here during the summer and after hours, so it was very quiet, which made it easy to focus.
October 7, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience as a Grader for Classical Mythology! It's great to see you enjoyed the culture, students and our campus!
Smart people that know how to balance work/life
University of Wisconsin-Madison's employee force is far too large to characterize with a small review like this. But in my experience, the STEM researchers on campus are approachable, intelligent, and competent. I'm in a graduate program so I currently don't have the ability to climb any ladder until I graduate, but a sizeable percentage of graduates choose to stay after graduating working either as a post-doc, senior technician, etc.
September 19, 2019
Staying after graduation certainly says a lot! Thank you for sharing your experience as a Graduate Research Assistant here at UW-Madison.
productive workplace with nice employees
A big office with people working in different fields
Very challenging tasks and good opportunities to learn new things

Requires good communication skills
September 19, 2019
You hit on a lot of the things that makes work rewarding: people, challenges, opportunities, learning and communication! We appreciate you sharing about your experience as a Reimbursement Auditor.
Solid place to work
Decent place to work whether it be starting a career, getting experience with an internship or part time in a lab, or getting closer to retiring/looking for a long term position.
September 19, 2019
There really is something for everyone here at UW-Madison, no matter what your career stage is. Thank you for your review!
UW-Madison
Polite people in the chemistry department, friendly staff and work environment. Short hours for a PhD program and/or postdoctoral research experience.
September 5, 2019
Thank you for sharing your 4-star experience working at UW-Madison's Chemistry department!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.
4.5
4.2
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
University of Wisconsin–Madison Reviews by Location