University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

flexible working hours with room for improvement
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 14, 2019
Was willing to work with my disability by allowing a flexible schedule and had job training opportunities. Some management lacked professional training in leadership and management.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management
High Turnover and Unreasonable Workload
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 11, 2019
The admissions department on campus is a terrible place to work. The counselors are treated like expendable resources by leadership, which results in high turnover and an overall lack of morale in the office. Job duties are not clearly communicated during the interview process - for a significant portion of the year, counselors are expected to work 50+ hours a week, which could include being required to work over the weekend with warning given Friday afternoon. No compensation is given for overtime, and the department is severely understaffed for the workload the office needs to complete. Management does not care about personal development or mental burnout - you are rewarded for doing good work with having to pick up the slack from others in the office. I also truly believe the admissions criteria are unethical based on how we were asked to review applications for students with certain attributes. Leaving this toxic environment was one of the best decisions I ever made - and about a 1/4 of the staff had the same idea during the year I quit. Maybe the office could pay their staff properly if they didn't have to spend so much money to hire and train staff they constantly have to replace.
Pros
Vacation time (but some restrictions as to when you could take it)
Cons
Uncompensated overtime, unexpected overtime, leadership, office culture
Project Assistant
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  MadisonMarch 8, 2019
Led the design and oversight of new databases based in ArcGIS while identifying and resolving the root causes of any encountered issues or concerns. Consolidated data from GPS, Bluetooth, loop detectors, and other tools during the completion of travel time data comparisons and accuracy evaluations. Cleaned, transformed, and modelled transportation data to support major decision-making operations.
 Spearheaded the design and introduction of new predictive analytic models which accurately determined the chances of traffic congestion.
March 11, 2019

Thank you for your review of UW-Madison! We hope you continue to find your Project Assistant role to be a rewarding position!

The Endocrinology & Reproductive physiology graduate program was greatly supportive and provided a strong learning environment
Graduate Student - Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 20, 2019
Coursework for 4-6 hours per day and 6-8 hours of laboratory work and thesis writing. Management of my thesis project and undergraduate student projects.
Pros
cutting edge research for thesis work
Cons
Poor pay, expected to work as much as possible
February 25, 2019

Thank you for posting about your Graduate Student experience here at UW-Madison! Your contributions to project and research work keep us moving forward!

Great place to work with great people
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 19, 2019
UW was one of my most formative experiences. I liked the work and the people who I worked with. I spent a lot of time at my place of employment and, thus, learned a lot about what it takes to keep a dining center running.

I learned how to communicate more efficiently and how to take instructions and turn those into results.
February 25, 2019

We're so glad to hear you had a good experience here at UW-Madison!

Good University
Systems Engineer/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2019
The university's research focus provides new and challenging problems constantly. The workplace cluster is good with a nice work-life balance if you wish this. The hardest part of the job is moving the ship, aka making changes. There is a strong resistance to major changes and even incremental change proposals have resistance. I learned that developing and maintaining collaborators in other institutions helps provide context to management for justification in changes.
Pros
work place flexibility
Cons
pay, resistance to change
February 25, 2019

Thank you for posting about your experience at UW-Madison!

Productive and stimulating
Internship (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 21, 2019
You work on your own project and you collaborate with other members of the team when needed. Good teamwork. The PI organizes meetings weekly and journals club. The PI is incredibly kind, willing and demanding. The environment is stimulating, collaborative and you can develop your own ideas. I worked and learned a lot from this experience.
means to an end
Food Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 20, 2019
Co workers were competitive for advancement, people hired off the street to replace managers who had years of experience and paid more than managers with more experience
Productive graduate program with great atmosphere and exceptional research
Graduate Research Assistant - Dr. N. De Leon Gatti (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 10, 2019
UW Madison is a great school to attend for both undergraduate and graduate degrees. The atmosphere of both the campus and community is incredibly welcoming and easy to navigate. The Plant Breeding and Plant Genetics program for doctoral students is second to none with its cutting edge research, renowned professors and researchers, and science community. Anyone who receives a degree from this program is sure to be prepared for their future careers.
Very productive, learn a lot each day.
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53706December 28, 2018
As an academic institution, it a great place to work. The most enjoyable part is working with highly motivated students, and dealing with their needs for them to get good grades.
Flexibility is one of the great advantages, half of the time work from home.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Start early in the moning.
Calm Job with flexible hours
Aquatic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 11, 2018
Working as a guard at the Natatorium, I feel a bit more relaxed when it comes to worrying about the safety of patrons. Nearly all of them are adults all of them are sober, making it much easier to enforce rules and regulations.
Pros
Free Lunches, Plentiful Breaks, Flexible Hours
Low pay but rewarding
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 8, 2018
I work as a research assistant at UW-Madison. The salary is low. But as a graduate student, I appreciate the opportunities of learning while getting paid. The work-life balance is good and I had a lot of opportunities to interact with professors.
Exciting job monitoring spotted owls
Spotted Owl Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, CANovember 26, 2018
A typical day on the job would consist of driving out to our study site from our base, about a two and a half hour drive. Then we would arrive at our first assigned area and complete what was required of us at that site, whether it was sighting an owl, calling for an owl in a territory it had previously not been detected, or capturing an owl. We would then continue onto our next site and complete what was required of us there. This would all be done in the evening and night, until we were finished with our assignments. We then stayed at a campsite in our study area for the rest of the night, until our work started again the next evening.
Pros
4-day work week
Cons
Long commute
Good working environment and culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 20, 2018
-As a research assistant in a lab, I'm offered with flexible working hours.
-UW-Madison provided plenty of resources including research data base, career fair and libraries.
-Ice cream is terrific!
low pay
none (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 7, 2018
light & heavy equipment operators with cdl making under 15.00 hour?
Cdl drivers with clean driving record, pass a drug test , and operate equipment are becoming hard to find and keep!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 30, 2018
It was a hostile environment for people of color. If something racially offensive occurred, which was often, there was no one you could talk to about it and there were no consequences for the offender.
Great place to work for growth and development
Postdoctroal Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 29, 2018
While stressful and somewhat cut-throat, there are many benefits to this position. Due to the high funding rate of this laboratory, there is extremely high-end equipment available for use in many different avenues of research. The working environment is great where a variety of skills can be learned and the coworkers are great. It is a great job as a stepping stone for a future career.
Good academic learning environment
Visiting fellow (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
It is a good university to learn a lot, keep yourself updated with new researches and works. employers are helpful and nice. Job market is competitive and less paid.
Pros
Grow yourself and get lots of knowledge
Cons
Limited and less funds
not acceptable
Senior Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
Don't say anything if you can't say anything nice.
The system is totally flawed. PI's employ wife's and pay them an outrageous salary and they don't have to come to work.
Other PI's never even enter their own lab, except for 1 time a month! Joke!
'
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
PI abuse the system
This was the school I went to
Student Leadership Program (Former Employee) –  Madsen, WIOctober 3, 2018
I went to college here, had a great experience. I majored in learning and development. this has been a difficult major to find a job. Which is why I am looking to receive help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of Wisconsin–Madison Reviews by Location