University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

Go Badgers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 26, 2018
A great university run by people who want their state to go further. Is burdened by too many admins (true of all state universities) but more than makes up for it with world class research.
An Opportunity of a Lifetime
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 15, 2018
A wonderful time to engage colleagues and content, and for learning the teaching trade. Formative professional preparation with invaluable collaboration, committee work, and creativity.
Strength and Conditioning Intern
Football Strength and Conditioning Intern Coach (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 15, 2018
Long hours, Worked for free but gained vital experience in my industry, Great connections, Managers were fun and exciting, Atmosphere was quick paced, Great people
Productive and collaborative work environment
Medical Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 3, 2018
Utmost professionalism with good balance of personal attention to employee needs and positive interactions from my upper management that made this one of the best workplace cultures I've yet to experience.
Pros
Ice cream socials - Downtown Madison transportation - Lakes
Cons
Getting lost - Hospital is very large! High cost of parking
A great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 30, 2018
I worked there as a Research Assistant to get my PhD degree. The work load highly depend on the advisor, department, the type of research you are conducting, and your own capability. In general the University provides different facilities and located in a beautify city.
It's enjoyable to work at UWMadison
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 12, 2018
I got a scholarship from UWMadison and I came to US from China. It's a great honor and big luck to come to UWMadison.

Professors and students are quite friendly and helpful! I receive numerous of help from learned professors when I have research problems and get kindhearted greeting from students when I have living problems.

The lakes are very beautiful. I couldn't remember how many beautiful pictures I took for Mendota. The weather in winter is not very good. It's very dry which is not good for my skin. Well, I developed my skiing skills here and I can make black trails now! I'm quite proud of this. Lastly, the sports are awesome!
Pros
A lot of talents!
Cons
Winter is dry.
Part time teaching job in graduate school
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 12, 2018
The teaching assistant job was available to graduate student carrying a full load of academic credits. The course I taught was an introduction to TV broadcasting at the University of Wisconsin.

My undergraduate students learned to edit and write stories for air. They learned the vocabulary of the industry, the tools used and had to write a paper on their favorite broadcasting topic.

The most enjoyable part of the job was their enthusiasm, curiousity, and irreverence. Some are still working today in some area of media and technology. I love running into them.

Teaching helped me learn about opinions different from mine. I still love teaching, and welcome opportunities to help new journalists and interns.
Pros
Teaching keeps you young and innovative.
Cons
Not enough time in the day.
Productive Great College Job
Piano and Voice Instructor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 10, 2018
I worked for the College of Letters and Science while I was an undergrad at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I was able to create my own schedule during normal business hours which was a great perk for a college student.
Good benefits, inconsistent workload, difficult to secure positions
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 7, 2018
Workload varies from totally relaxed to extremely stressful depending on the department. Benefits are good. Workload is inconsistent. There are weeks with minimal work and weeks where you are completely swamped. Competition for positions each semester is fierce.
Great Place to Learn More about the Medical Field
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2018
I was a student medical assistant for University Health Services. I had the opportunity for a lot of patient contact, and I sincerely enjoyed working with the providers.
Satisfactory
Urdu Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 4, 2018
My time at the University of Wisconsin at Madison was limited. I taught two Urdu language summer courses. Every time I had a wonderful experience teaching language students. All were very dedicated and hard working.
Pros
work environment
Cons
winter
Good place
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 2, 2018
The best places to work , very competitive and tons of opportunity to learn and work. The pay is not too bad but not comparable with tech giants for the job I am working on
Collaborative workplace
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 29, 2018
Supportive environment actively working to improve workplace culture. Good benefits and work/life balance, which comes with a lower salary. Hierarchical system where career advancement depends on educational degree. Management and culture are different in every department.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 28, 2018
University of Wisconsin-Madison is a wonderful place to work. It is locate on lake Mendota in Madison, WI. Madison is the capital city of Wisconsin, and it is one of the best places to live.
Great Teaching Opportunity
Statistics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 24, 2018
I taught introductory statistics to students who were enrolled in the part-time master's in social work (MSW) program. Students were enrolled through the Madison campus. However, courses were offered at the Eau Claire campus in order to cater to students who lived in the Northern Wisconsin area.
Good Part-Time Job for CS/Engr Students
Student Help - Hardware (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 22, 2018
Relaxed work place environment as student help. Flexible hours make working manageable as a student. Workplace culture is very enjoyable. Experienced staff is very friendly.
Pros
Flexible hours, good wage, great culture
Cons
No benefits (expected)
Relaxed
Memorial Union Crew (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 18, 2018
Great work environment consisting of crew members who are almost all your college peers. Get to know friends and work in various positions relating to food preparation and customer service.
Good resourse
Teaching Assistant, part-time student job (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 16, 2018
There are so many good resources you can reach out, like the libraries, workshops, many campus associates. Good environment and nice managers. Very efficient system.
Student - UW Madison College
Undergraduate student (Former Employee) –  Sociology DepartmentJanuary 4, 2018
Great school to attend. Qualified professors in a professional learning environment. Staff always available for questions and help for special projects, job postings and future involvement.
Pros
Highly educated staff
Cons
travel
Great!
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 2, 2018
It's been super great working for the university because of the flexible hours. It's pretty easy coordinating my work schedule around my class schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of Wisconsin–Madison Reviews by Location