University of Wisconsin–Madison Employee Reviews

Exciting job monitoring spotted owls
Spotted Owl Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, CANovember 26, 2018
A typical day on the job would consist of driving out to our study site from our base, about a two and a half hour drive. Then we would arrive at our first assigned area and complete what was required of us at that site, whether it was sighting an owl, calling for an owl in a territory it had previously not been detected, or capturing an owl. We would then continue onto our next site and complete what was required of us there. This would all be done in the evening and night, until we were finished with our assignments. We then stayed at a campsite in our study area for the rest of the night, until our work started again the next evening.
Pros
4-day work week
Cons
Long commute
Good working environment and culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 20, 2018
-As a research assistant in a lab, I'm offered with flexible working hours.
-UW-Madison provided plenty of resources including research data base, career fair and libraries.
-Ice cream is terrific!
low pay
none (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 7, 2018
light & heavy equipment operators with cdl making under 15.00 hour?
Cdl drivers with clean driving record, pass a drug test , and operate equipment are becoming hard to find and keep!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 30, 2018
It was a hostile environment for people of color. If something racially offensive occurred, which was often, there was no one you could talk to about it and there were no consequences for the offender.
Great place to work for growth and development
Postdoctroal Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 29, 2018
While stressful and somewhat cut-throat, there are many benefits to this position. Due to the high funding rate of this laboratory, there is extremely high-end equipment available for use in many different avenues of research. The working environment is great where a variety of skills can be learned and the coworkers are great. It is a great job as a stepping stone for a future career.
Good academic learning environment
Visiting fellow (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
It is a good university to learn a lot, keep yourself updated with new researches and works. employers are helpful and nice. Job market is competitive and less paid.
Pros
Grow yourself and get lots of knowledge
Cons
Limited and less funds
not acceptable
Senior Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
Don't say anything if you can't say anything nice.
The system is totally flawed. PI's employ wife's and pay them an outrageous salary and they don't have to come to work.
Other PI's never even enter their own lab, except for 1 time a month! Joke!
'
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
PI abuse the system
This was the school I went to
Student Leadership Program (Former Employee) –  Madsen, WIOctober 3, 2018
I went to college here, had a great experience. I majored in learning and development. this has been a difficult major to find a job. Which is why I am looking to receive help.
Lot of work but great environment
Opera Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 2, 2018
Despite there being bumps in the road when first starting, the supervisor was really open to helping me along the way. Was very good about checking in to see how things were progressing. There was a lot of "new" jobs added as I went along, but they were tasks I could easily perform.
Pros
benefits, work my own hours
Cons
stressful deadlines
Cool and casual work environment
Assistant Director for Student Housing (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 27, 2018
As my first career job, Madison was fantastic and gave me a great opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge base. The campus was beautiful, the leadership supportive and the students were great
Pros
Casual, friendly
Cons
Winter weather
Nice school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2018
It is a beautiful school in the center of a comfortable city. The school is large and with good facilities. For modelers, the superclusters are powerful and managed by a great team.
perfect for study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 12, 2018
This is a perfect academic college. The only disadvantage of the university is that it does not have as many connections to industrial working opportunities as like other universities in a better location.
Again, this is ridiculous
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 10, 2018
You better not make me do this for every job on my resume. Why would you need this? There is no reason for you guys to do this. This is a ridiculous requirement.
Madison is an interesting place....
Research / Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 9, 2018
As with any large university, there is a lot of good and a lot of bad. There is certainly enough good for you to find if you are looking in the right places. Good luck finding those places though....
Hard work low pay.
Inventory Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 24, 2018
The hours are not good and for the pay the work is very demanding. Most of the people working there have been there for a number of years and are set in their ways, very reluctant to try anything new.
Dependent on Supervisor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 22, 2018
Experience with UW is highly dependent on your supervisor - some are excellent and others are overly demanding. If you choose well you will have a good time, but if not things will not go so well
Depends on Who's on Your Team
Writing Center Individual Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 21, 2018
UW-Madison can be a great place to work and grow if you have the proper support. A lot of people are there to advance themselves and will use you to make sure their own needs are met. If you have a supervisor that will help you, take the time out of the day to submit you for awards and advancement, it is a nice place to be.
A great place for professionals and students
KEY DESK LEAD (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 21, 2018
UW-Madison is a friendly and helpful environment. I enjoyed working with both students and parents to help make the most of their experience. Although it is competitive to get employment, the UW-Madison team wants what's best for its students and institution.
Awesome
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 8, 2018
Really enjoy working for the Universtiy of Wisconsin Madison. The experience has been one of greatest employment experiences and the benefits and flexablitiy are awesome.
Different Tasks every day.
Univ Business Specialist (Budget & HR Manager) (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 31, 2018
A typical day is that I don't have a typical day. I can be doing anything from HR, to Budget planning, to expense reports to event planning and training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss