University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Time of transition
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 20, 2019
The move to absorb the new branch campuses (formerly the two-year colleges) has made things difficult. There is poor communication between the administration and faculty and often disrespect for the faculty.
Senior Instructional Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMarch 17, 2019
Great people to work with. Students are great. The merger with UW Steven's Point has been challenging. I have made a lot of great friends working there.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Merger with UW Stevens Point
Nice place to work
Program Assistant Fiscal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 21, 2019
Safe and secure employment with upper management trending upwards. The facilities were spectacular and the work environment was such that made for a comfortable place to perform your tasks.
Benefits
Cons
Parking situation
The position was an excellent eudcuational opportunity,
Academic Staff - Program Manager III (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 20, 2019
UW Madison provides excellent educational opportunities. The diverse facilities and employees are an asset.
The work was interesting and I made it challenging by adding new tasks to my job. Being helpful to students and faculty made the job enjoyable.
Pros
Faculty and Researchers provided opportunities.
Cons
Management changed and the work climate was not pleasant, but this was why I retired
ok
Appointment Center Rep (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 19, 2019
Enjoyed the company and the people. Good work environment. Not many opportunities for raises or advancement. Good benefits. No longer cover domestic partners.
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Graduate Student
Graduate Clinician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 12, 2019
UWM has given me the tools to be successful in my career. Not only have I learned in the classroom, but I have been provided with learning opportunities in the community.
.NET Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2019
This was a great place to work, and I left only for personal reasons rather than out of disliking the job. Co-workers are always willing to work together, especially under the umbrella that most people you work with are also affiliated with the University of Wisconsin to some extent. Benefits are great and there is plenty of paid time off.

Your experience can vary pretty wildly by specific appointment, depending on the job and the manager, but by and large developer roles seem to be well taken care of. If I had one complaint, it would be the slow progress that can stem from a slow bureaucratic approval process for new technologies.
Pros
Great management (varies by team), great work-life balance, excellent benefits, collaboration is encouraged
Cons
Bureaucratic processes slow down innovation, pay is not quite as high as in private sector, low diversity
Productive and Exciting Environment
Student Designer and Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIFebruary 6, 2019
My job required me to use skills that I am currently learning in my undergraduate college years. It has also given me the opportunity to experience what it could be like in the interior design environment.
Pros
The people are nice and fun. Work environment is relaxed and inviting.
Great Boss and Co-workers to make work fun and productive
Information Security Analyst-LTS (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 2, 2019
- Typical day would be checking the scans from the tools and determine whether there are any vulnerabilities
- Workplace culture was chill and focused
- Management was a little messy with quite a few politics
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Some not so great people to work with too
Flexible schedule
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 1, 2019
I work as a student assistant in one of the IT departments. As a student, I am limited to 29 hrs/week with no benefits; however, I am able to choose my own hours and work days.
Inclusive and Productive Environment
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WIJanuary 9, 2019
The University of Wisconsin- Whitewater provided great insight and training for the peer mentor program. I learned effective communication and conflict resolution skills. As I smoothly acclimated to the workplace culture, I discovered it to be inclusive and inviting. This job was gratifying as I was able to alter the way incoming students viewed and adapted to the start to their college career.
Pros
I loved working with incoming college students.
Cons
I did not work many hours.
Every department will be different
Technical Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 20, 2018
The department where I worked was a good experience for a number of years. They trusted my skills enough to grant me a lot of freedom to make my job and position meaningful and to do it in a way that provided the most value to the mission of the department.
Productive and people worked well together.
Program Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 17, 2018
I answered phones, scheduled meetings and business travel. Opened and sorted daily mail. Once a week had a mailing to do. Used copy machines, fax and computer. Did filing and special projects for individuals. The hardest part was leaving. It was only a L.T.E position.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally and treats brought in.
Cons
Sometimes i had too do a rush job immediately.
Good starting job
Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 13, 2018
I was an intern working with a professor on a research project of hers. It was a great first job out of school and I was extremely happy to help out on it, although the lack of hours and pay were difficult. Overall, it probably depends on what area you work for and who you work for.
Would recommend to others
University Services Program Associate (Former Employee) –  University Bank Building, Menomonie, WIDecember 11, 2018
Met individuals who will remain life long friends. Learned skills and a work set that would have been difficult to acquire elsewhere. Based upon my experiences with UW-Stout, our oldest child graduated from UW-Stout with a degree in Applied Math and Computer Sciences. This degree enabled her to acquire an excellent job.
Pros
Teamwork environment
Cons
Many changes based upon political environment
Senior Accountant
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 7, 2018
Very little training involved - kind of a learn as you go environment, but that provides opportunity for business process improvement. There are always projects readily available if you want to learn something new. Management is helpful and supportive.
Teaching Assistant
Doctoral Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 6, 2018
The university has a good work life balance. I wish it was little more competitive and lack. some basic infrastructure.I enjoyed my time there. Had some amazing school years there.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Less Competitive
Review
Systems Administrator III (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 3, 2018
There is an excellent work life balance at the University. Coworkers are overall especially friendly and helpful, and the entire campus has a great vibe to it. Excellent continued learning and career advancement opportunities
The staff at the school was friendly
Tutor (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WINovember 27, 2018
The staff at the school was friendly. They always seemed very appreciative of any students that I could help. They would often go out of there way to make sure I had everything I needed to help.
great place to work
Associate Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 13, 2018
Fun and challenging work in an academic environment, with great colleagues and challenging work. Chances to work on other grant funded projects and positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight