University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Terrible Management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 25, 2018
Depending on what unit you work for I was working for an IT department on campus. I did everything from Project management for the department to taking phone calls. Needless to say the management was terrible and only cared about themselves and how much they were going to give their "click" and themselves bonuses and raises every year. Never did I ever receive any recognition in the years that I worked for the University and one day I was just laid-off and my job was posted the about a week later. A few friends I had working their all ended up leaving for better companies. I would say the best part about working for the UW was the benefits and retirement program.
benefits
Asset Management
Asset Management (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIMay 22, 2018
Very laid back. Management was unclear at times but the workload was so light that it didn't really matter. It's a college job, you get what you get..
So much fun!
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WIMay 21, 2018
Work is so helpful for my career and the workspace is covered in whiteboards so easy to use. Very relaxed and everyone is nice. It is great to make connections with the students as well.
Laid-back vs. fast-paced
Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 20, 2018
The workplace culture was laid back during the school year during mentorship. However fast-paced, and at times stressful, during summer orientations. Meeting and guiding new people was definitely the best part of the job, but when reaching out over email or phone it felt like I bothered some students and ended up pushing them away from the Student Success Center.
Pros
Worked around class schedule during the school year.
Cons
Lived at work during summer orientations.
Perfect for college students
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 19, 2018
Being a desk assistant is pretty easy. You're basically getting paid to hang out with friends in the dorm and do homework. It's also really easy to get shifts covered if you have somewhere to be a certain day that you have your shift.
Volleyball Coach
Volleyball Camp Coach (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMay 17, 2018
Great experience with spreading the knowledge and skills of volleyball to kids from grades 4th-12th grade. The staff is the best part about working camps over the summer. Lots of fun memories and good stories to tell.
It's gradschool, It is better or worse depending on situation
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 17, 2018
The pay is plenty enough to live off since the cost of living in Madison is so low. Overall the faculty want you to succeed, so it's not a bad place to be. Depending on advisor things can get a bit rough though. Mine likes to heavily micro-manage which gets infuriating, however other advisors in the department would be great to work for. It really just depends on what you want and what you are willing to put up with.
Pros
Name recognition, lots of recruitment events, emails about free food are relatively frequent
Cons
A lot of status quo agendas that are outdated and just bad
Great work enviornment
Football camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 14, 2018
I was able to hone and fine tune my coaching and mentor philosophies while working athletic summer camps at UW-Madison. It is a great institution full of great people
Nutrition
Capstone Dietetic Internship (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 13, 2018
On a typical day as a dietetic intern, you conduct nutrition assessments, provide diet education, utilize medical nutrition therapy and perform follow-up evaluations on populations of the hospital that include: oncology, cardiac, renal, pulmonary, intensive care, surgical, transplant, geriatric, pediatric hematology and oncology and pediatrics. I would recommend this internship program to anyone who is willing to dedicate their time and efforts.
It was fine
Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 13, 2018
I was an intern at the UW Survey Center. The UW is not one cohesive company, and one experience cannot translate to the rest of the University. Interns get low pay, as per usual.
Excellent
Field Rep (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 5, 2018
Great staff who explain in detail job needs. Easy to work for and they care about their employees.
Pay was average yet always paid on time and fairly for hours worked.
Nice working environment
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 2, 2018
Typical university technology support help desk job and video production job combination. Answering questions clients may have, edit video footage and deliver the footage to client.
Supervisors are very helpful when you need some help, easy to get along. Nice co-workers too.
Gained a lot of customer service experiences at that time.
Lots of support and learning opportunities
Full-Stack Web Developer/Tester (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIApril 30, 2018
I had no development experience going into my position at UW Whitewater, but they gave me the chance to learn on the job and i was able to learn more there than anything I learned in my college classes.
I liked working at UWM
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. There are a lot of opportunities to learn. There is a lot of new research equipment to get the hands-on experience.
Fun place to work
IT Analyst/IS Comprehensive Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WIApril 25, 2018
At a University, there will always be change which keeps the jobs interesting. I would recommend people working here. Pay is lower than other places, but the benefits are pretty high.
Pros
Little management oversight
Cons
Salary
Excellent company to work for
medical physicist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 24, 2018
Very fun, enjoyable and frindly work environment, excellent location, encourages career advancement. very good compensation with job security and excellent compensation package.
Great College Job
Multiple Roles (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIApril 20, 2018
I did a couple different part-time positions on the campus (Community Adviser with Residential Living Association and artist/maintenance at Schmeeckle Reserve at Stevens Point campus; Maintenance worker at Waukesha campus) and both were excellent positions as a student attending the campus. The pay is minimum, but the benefits that come with the position made up for it. It definitely helps to get a job with the school if you're a student, part or full time.
Excellent place for school and continuing education
Certified Public Manager Program (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 18, 2018
Excellent place to earn an education as an adult. Continued learning experience was exceptional.

Certified Public Management Program was very relevant to current issues in the world today.
It's a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIApril 18, 2018
A typical work day at UW Hospital consist of working with patients on easy to complex issues. Speaking with insurance companies in an effort to get claims paid. The work place culture is good. Most people are very helpful and take the time to listen to certain problems that need to be solved.I have learned to communicate better with people and also I've learned a lot more about Medicare, Medicaid, different government programs, problem solving skills, and time mangagement.
Pros
Don't have to be micro managed
Cons
Salary could be improved
Fun and Interactive
Scorekeeper (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 16, 2018
I very much enjoyed the people I worked with and that if there was ever a time at which I was struggling anyone would be willing to help lend a hand. Very friendly staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.8Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.