University of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Perfect for college students
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 19, 2018
Being a desk assistant is pretty easy. You're basically getting paid to hang out with friends in the dorm and do homework. It's also really easy to get shifts covered if you have somewhere to be a certain day that you have your shift.
Volleyball Coach
Volleyball Camp Coach (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMay 17, 2018
Great experience with spreading the knowledge and skills of volleyball to kids from grades 4th-12th grade. The staff is the best part about working camps over the summer. Lots of fun memories and good stories to tell.
It's gradschool, It is better or worse depending on situation
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 17, 2018
The pay is plenty enough to live off since the cost of living in Madison is so low. Overall the faculty want you to succeed, so it's not a bad place to be. Depending on advisor things can get a bit rough though. Mine likes to heavily micro-manage which gets infuriating, however other advisors in the department would be great to work for. It really just depends on what you want and what you are willing to put up with.
Pros
Name recognition, lots of recruitment events, emails about free food are relatively frequent
Cons
A lot of status quo agendas that are outdated and just bad
Great work enviornment
Football camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 14, 2018
I was able to hone and fine tune my coaching and mentor philosophies while working athletic summer camps at UW-Madison. It is a great institution full of great people
Nutrition
Capstone Dietetic Internship (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 13, 2018
On a typical day as a dietetic intern, you conduct nutrition assessments, provide diet education, utilize medical nutrition therapy and perform follow-up evaluations on populations of the hospital that include: oncology, cardiac, renal, pulmonary, intensive care, surgical, transplant, geriatric, pediatric hematology and oncology and pediatrics. I would recommend this internship program to anyone who is willing to dedicate their time and efforts.
It was fine
Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 13, 2018
I was an intern at the UW Survey Center. The UW is not one cohesive company, and one experience cannot translate to the rest of the University. Interns get low pay, as per usual.
Excellent
Field Rep (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 5, 2018
Great staff who explain in detail job needs. Easy to work for and they care about their employees.
Pay was average yet always paid on time and fairly for hours worked.
Nice working environment
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 2, 2018
Typical university technology support help desk job and video production job combination. Answering questions clients may have, edit video footage and deliver the footage to client.
Supervisors are very helpful when you need some help, easy to get along. Nice co-workers too.
Gained a lot of customer service experiences at that time.
Lots of support and learning opportunities
Full-Stack Web Developer/Tester (Former Employee) –  Whitewater, WIApril 30, 2018
I had no development experience going into my position at UW Whitewater, but they gave me the chance to learn on the job and i was able to learn more there than anything I learned in my college classes.
I liked working at UWM
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. There are a lot of opportunities to learn. There is a lot of new research equipment to get the hands-on experience.
Fun place to work
IT Analyst/IS Comprehensive Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitewater, WIApril 25, 2018
At a University, there will always be change which keeps the jobs interesting. I would recommend people working here. Pay is lower than other places, but the benefits are pretty high.
Pros
Little management oversight
Cons
Salary
Excellent company to work for
medical physicist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 24, 2018
Very fun, enjoyable and frindly work environment, excellent location, encourages career advancement. very good compensation with job security and excellent compensation package.
Great College Job
Multiple Roles (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIApril 20, 2018
I did a couple different part-time positions on the campus (Community Adviser with Residential Living Association and artist/maintenance at Schmeeckle Reserve at Stevens Point campus; Maintenance worker at Waukesha campus) and both were excellent positions as a student attending the campus. The pay is minimum, but the benefits that come with the position made up for it. It definitely helps to get a job with the school if you're a student, part or full time.
Excellent place for school and continuing education
Certified Public Manager Program (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 18, 2018
Excellent place to earn an education as an adult. Continued learning experience was exceptional.

Certified Public Management Program was very relevant to current issues in the world today.
It's a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIApril 18, 2018
A typical work day at UW Hospital consist of working with patients on easy to complex issues. Speaking with insurance companies in an effort to get claims paid. The work place culture is good. Most people are very helpful and take the time to listen to certain problems that need to be solved.I have learned to communicate better with people and also I've learned a lot more about Medicare, Medicaid, different government programs, problem solving skills, and time mangagement.
Pros
Don't have to be micro managed
Cons
Salary could be improved
Fun and Interactive
Scorekeeper (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 16, 2018
I very much enjoyed the people I worked with and that if there was ever a time at which I was struggling anyone would be willing to help lend a hand. Very friendly staff.
Excellent place to work
IT E3 tech (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 10, 2018
There are substantial benefits to working in a university atmosphere. This was enhanced by having an incredible supervisor who is knowledgeable in all area's of IT and spent substantial time mentoring employee's encouraging exploration of the many facet's of IT and related software in the field of architecture.
Pros
Excellent working conditions
Not Direct work, but still Valuable Experience
Biographical Writer/Interface Researcher (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 8, 2018
While I was not directly employed by the University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, I did get to use the experience form the class as well as the class work completed on my resume.
Job involves working with many different types of people
Mechanical Engineering Senior Design (Current Employee) –  Platteville, WIApril 8, 2018
The job involves working with many different types of people. A typical day will involve administrative tasks, and coordinating efforts with various individuals in the department. Hardest part of the job is managing various time tables for projects and presentations, and the most enjoyable is the people that I am able to interact with.
Pros
Being able to help people
Cons
Management criteria that don't always seem streamlined for ease of implementation
UW-Madison
Connections Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 5, 2018
This University really lives up to its reputation. Students who attend this school are prestigious and successful. The University highlights culture in their curriculum, and has a focus on research.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.8Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.