University of Wyoming Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I enjoyed the work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJuly 9, 2018
I enjoyed the work at UW, and I found it interesting. The University is going through major changes and most of the faculty are being replaced with adjuncts. I am not sure what the University will be as far as a quality workplace in the next 5 years.
Pros
Lovely campus
Cons
Warring departments and professors egos
Great Students/Poor Management
Full Time - Upward Bound Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJune 20, 2018
I could rant for hours about all the things wrong with this place. Any academic institution with a larger and higher paid administrative staff than academic staff is inherently flawed. But I suppose that's the case in most universities now.
fds
Tutor - mathematics (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 28, 2018
Attributes:
 Respectful – Careful to treat peers, superiors etc. with kindness, patience and respect
 Work Ethic – High personal standards regarding quality and quantity of work
 Enthusiastic Learner – In a constant pursuit of knowledge to expand current skill set
 Motivated – A 'just do it' mentality. Continuously attempting to improve work quality and efficien-cy. Always seeking to learn to be a better person
A growing university
Research and teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 18, 2018
UW is a growing research university but still pretty small. The graduate student group is pretty small, not to mention the non-existing postdoc group. No career support.
Productive Job with applicable experience
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 6, 2018
The university of Wyoming is wonderful at applying critical knowledge to their jobs. You gain many applications that allow you to build your resume, and they are also very accepting of your schedule.
Pros
Experience
Laid back, fulfilling atmosphere
Math Tutor University of Wyoming (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 25, 2018
Hours are chosen based on school schedule and are very flexible. Tutor training is provided and a pay raise comes with tutor certification. Tutors are encouraged to work together and get help when they don't know something, belittled for not having an understanding of the subject.
Pros
Teaching, flexible hours
A Comfortable Place to Work
Coordinator- Greenhouse Operations (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 19, 2018
UW provides a balanced environment for employees. There is a true sense of comradery with coworkers. The benefits include educational opportunities through free class credits per semester.
Pros
One free class per semester, benefits
Cons
Lack of fiscal stability
Productive and fun place to work with a ping pong table
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 13, 2018
The professors are very friendly and helpful, and not pushy. The professor: student ratio is very good. The tuition is cheap. I really enjoy the study and working experience at the University of Wyoming.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 7, 2018
- Have your own desk.
- Listens to ideas
- 3 lunches per month at Washakie if you work in the RLDS dept.
- Friendly co-workers
- Well divided work loads
Pros
set working hours.
Cons
Some employee work ethics are not great
Simply a Great Place to work
Associat Professor (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYFebruary 26, 2018
When I was there the culture was very much innovative (becoming the little Harvard of the West). Feeling on inclusion at all levels.
Dedicated to teaching and learning of students and research.
Pros
Salary, advancement, focus on faculty as well as student development.
Cons
Way too rural
not the best place to feel appreciated
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYFebruary 5, 2018
Not the best place to work if you want to feel appreciated at work. No one is praised for a good job and the directorial position in my department was not appreciative of anything anyone ever did. It was never enough and she slept through the majority of the meetings regarding this issue.
Pros
benefits and time off for holidays
Cons
Poor presidential and directors
Communication and Journalism is a great department!
GTA, Communication & Journalism (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYFebruary 2, 2018
This has been two of the best years of my life! Working at the University of Wyoming in the Department of Communication and Journalism has been an incredible experience. My thesis chair is an exceptional scholar, mentor, and professor. This department is incredibly collaborative, talented, professional, and friendly. I wish our university was not making so many unilateral cuts. Unfortunately there are no openings for me to apply for once I graduate in May, otherwise I would elect to stay.
Nice small town to work in.
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYFebruary 1, 2018
Nice college town. Easy to work in. Lots of outdoor activities. Great cost of living. Close to Colorado cities. Great living options and short travel times.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 30, 2018
Very relaxed workplace for students who are looking to work part time while they do their studies. Very friendly management and employees. Would highly recommend.
Pros
relaxed, good hours
I have learned in the univerisity of Wyoming
Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 20, 2018
The University of Wyoming has lots of good teachers. I benefit from them a lot. I learned how to use the soft program, write code to do the simulation, manage my time to work hard in my research.
Good Working Environment with Multidisciplinary Learning Opportunities
Geotechnical Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 19, 2018
Everyone at the University is very co-operative, friendly, and supportive providing the positive working environment. Throughout my research work, I learned to plan, organize, and execute the research activities efficiently and effectively working with a group of individuals from different academic levels and backgrounds.
Productive and nice workplace with bueatiful and peaceful envorinment
Visiting scholar (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 6, 2018
When you enroll at the University of Wyoming, you’re not only signing up for a great education at an affordable price; you’re also becoming part of a community that prides itself on being challenged, rising to the occasion and embracing our local surroundings. You’ll find endless, four-season outdoor adventure, arts and culture, a lively downtown and a welcoming campus community.
Positive workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 6, 2018
The University of Wyoming was a positive workplace in that people were supportive and welcoming. Management could be better. The most enjoyable part of the job included the people I worked with.
Pros
Relaxed, friendly
Cons
Low pay, economy is wea
horrible place to work
Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 3, 2018
Poor Management, Waste financial and staff resources, manager lacks supervisor knowledge and internal compass, same for his manager. hardest part of the day is showing up, leaving is the most enjoyable. Its a shame these people are in the position they are in and do not actually understand what needs to done, and the lack of employee direction is sad- and they think I and staff don't know the difference. the president and community would be surprised! This pertains to facilities.
Pros
leaving for the day
Cons
having to in this dept.
Awesome Experience
Greater Sage Grouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Jeffrey City, WYDecember 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed the work and the managers. There is a lot of independence and overall, the managers are not micromanagers. They instill a good sense of responsibility for your work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Wyoming. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight