University of the District of Columbia Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2018
I had a great time as a research assistant and teacher assistants. The professors were great and the HR department was also very helpful. Everything I learned I can take to other company's and/or environments.
Fun place to work
Student Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2018
I do data entry, scanning, and indexing of documents. I learned how to work at my own pace. Management are understanding and willing to help with anything. Clear instructions were given all the time. I give myself deadlines to finish my work for the day. The most enjoyable part is my coworkers.
Pros
Friendly, Fun, Fast-Paced, Understanding
Cons
Work-Study only
Water Quality Research Intern
Water Quality Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDOctober 21, 2018
A typical day consisted of analytic reasoning to solve a challenge, within the research project.I learned to manage my time and resources. Management was supportive of my application of reasoning to complete a task or challenge. Work[lace culture was that of a research college. The hardest part of the job was having patient when unintentional issues arise that moved task timetables into negative positions. The most enjoyable part of the job was correcting the challenging issues on the job.
Pros
Access to expert assistance if neeeded
Cons
Approval for request could be faster
it wasn't very professional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
the way they handle their student workers was unprofessional. I was working on a campaign full of students and there were often times where they spent more time on their phone than they did actually working
Fun Place to work
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2018
The typical day at work consist of helping a diverse culture of people throughout the day to get through some of the barriers they may encounter. I learned that no matter who , what you are we all have to have patience in all aspects of jobs. The management was for their staff advancement an allowed you leave for trainings to help you grow in your job field. The hardest part of the job was some of the administration department communication with some of the students and their parents. The enjoyable part of the job was constantly helping people on a daily basis.
Relaxed Enviroment
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2018
A typical day at work for me is productive and a mental outlet. Scanning documents and filing is mostly what my day consist of. The work is non stop which means you never get bored. Management manages well. The most enjoyable part of my experience is scanning. The sound of the scanner is soothing to me and lets me know im being productive and getting the job done.
Provides important opportunity to make major contributions to students' education & groeth.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
As a major urban, public university, the University of the District of Columbia offers the unique possibility for learning, growth and varied instruction for students, teachers and staff in a unique collaborative and available environment.
Pros
Reasonable and extensive unique educational choices and opportunities.
Cons
Challenges to advancement, benefits availability and paid leave for adjunct teachers.
its a great segway for betterment
Executive Chef/ Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  cafeAugust 14, 2018
the company I represent are not fully aware of the actual "Kitchen Brigade" and the role it plays and its importance in our industry.. When I taught at the high school level it was very important for me to make sure my students. understood the formation of a kitchen and all of its inner workings...
Pros
im thankful to have a job
Cons
unorganized
None at this time
Adjunct Professor, English Department (Former Employee) –  EducationAugust 14, 2018
The students were wonderful and deserved more support from the University. The University was experiencing political problems and struggling to stay open. Therefore, it could not provide the support that the students needed to truly benefit from the classroom experience.
Pros
Lack of financial and social support.
Cons
The students.
Hostile crab barrel
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2018
I was an instructor. They kept adding duties without adding pay. Behind the curtain, it is all about who you know. HR is slow. Do not expect to be paid on time or to have your benefits in a timely manner.There are no consequences for work place bullying. The place is disorganized. Faculty and students are treated poorly. UDC lives in crisis mode.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Hostile environment
Management is very authoritative and micromanage
Senior Accountant-Lead (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2018
Definitely not a great culture at UDC OCFO office. Workplace culture is very poor. Management lacks true leadership. Always makes one sided decision. Managers are not well trained to provide good leadership.
English Professor (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJuly 18, 2018
good experience. was part time adjunct would go back. however the pay was low and very little followup for full time opportunities. liked the community college campus.
Great Place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 28, 2018
Enjoy protecting and serving the students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the University. There is not much more to say other than, many of its employees usually retire from here.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Not Good
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20002June 28, 2018
Poor management for a law enforcement agency. Admin has zero professional experience as law enforcement officials. Officers are unprofessional and very poorly trained.
Great workplace
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Columbia, WAJune 14, 2018
It is great job for a student who is taking classes full-time or has another job off campus. It helps with ensuring income for students when they need the extra cash flow while attending school.
Exciting vibrant college campus
Spanish Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 11, 2018
Students eager to participate in the learning process of a highly conducive, creative and academically rewarding second language environment. Student learn not only for school but for life.
Pros
Excellent learning environment, supportive team of professionals, committed students, adequate educational supplies, counseling support, tutoring
Stay away
Office of Admisisons (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2018
Despite ideal location in Washington, DC, this iinstitution of higher learning is both dysfunctional and poorly run place. It fosters a racist environment. An embarrassment of an institution.
Pros
Location in Washington, Dc
Cons
Everything else imaginable
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington DCApril 22, 2018
Patrol campus areas
essential work personal
team work with other officers
getting to meet and help new student every year
working together with staff and faculty
Pros
Going to School at the University
Cons
Being unscheduled for overtime
Learned a lot . It was a very great learning experience
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2018
how to synthesize organotin compounds.
the basics of research
how to be a good team player
learned how to do a formal presentation
the culture at the job with good, there was no discrimination
Wonderful Environment
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 13, 2018
Loved working at the University of the District of Columbia. Working at a place that catered to excellent educational opportunities was very rewarding. I worked in the Office of the Dean for the College of Life Sciences. Loved this experience with being able to make a difference in the lives of the students by providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Working in the Dean's office
Cons
Sometimes having to work weekends and evenings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of the District of Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

University of the District of Columbia Reviews by Location