UNM Hospitals Employee Reviews

Exciting work place
Director of Pulmonary Services (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 8, 2019
Excellent benefits and strong working environment. Big on educational opportunities. A teaching institution where there is always an opportunity to learn and improve on career choices
Pros
some discounts
Cons
Very busy
Get rid off debra luther!!!!!!!!!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  FNSDecember 5, 2018
Fake, Has no clue of how to do her job. Brown nose and donkey. only hires employees who have no voice just like the rest of her management staff. Felt like PRISON.
learning
Coder I (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 1, 2018
Learned how to read medical records and how able to read what doctors are writing. Educate the providers in what can and can not be billed out per the insurance regulations.
meh
Housekeeper (Cleaning) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 29, 2018
This job was ok. I was working graveyard shifts though and getting very depressed since i rarely got to see my friends and family. Seeing some of the people who came into the hospital didn't help either.
Pros
bonus pay working graveyard shifts
Cons
very depressing
fun work and safe environment
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 27, 2018
typical night: admits, transfers, rounding, stock, organizing, help RNs under their supervision answer call lights.
Learning: on going leaning of new equipment, new protocols, staff meetings, compliant with safety and procedures.
management: volunteer work, earn credits and take educational classes.
hardest part of the job: short staff ratio of 24 beds : 1 PCT and 10 RNs: 1PCT and getting supplies from central warehouse is a challenge because it is in another building.
most enjoyable: I gained a lot of experience and working 12 hour shifts can be fast when I remain busy. I like doing patient care. I like helping patients because they are my main focus while I work.
Pros
I like having a choice of creating my own schedule months in advance.
Cons
Difficult co- workers but I get along with most.
wouldn't recommend dietary dept
Food Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 15, 2018
great benefits, good management but very poor upper management. Lots of time on your feet. demotivated department. overall the employees are caring about the patients
Fun work environment
Patient Care Tech II (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 2, 2018
Good place to work good group of people good place to learn it is an teaching hospital like any other place you work it has its ups and downs overall good company
Excellent working environment
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87106September 16, 2018
In a teaching hospital setting. Great opportunity for learning. Diversified opportunities for career advancement. Competitive salaries. Paid time off recognized. Excellent shift differential.
Pros
Elcellent shift differential, learning environment.
Cons
More communications with management needed.
Workplace culture
Housekeeper and Operating Room Orderly (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 27, 2018
I loved working at UNM but you had to jump through hoops to get an tuition reimbursement. I wish I hadn't left the state but anyone would like the benefits they provide.
Management did not care for the staff unless you kiss up to them
Coder 1 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 21, 2018
UNM Hospital is the worst place to work. Management only use you to do their work and, when you make them look good they let you go. They would not give you the training needed to your job
You get to help patients
Outpatient clerk eye clinic (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 21, 2018
You learned new things everyday, management was great, I liked the hours I worked. Growth, great benefits, paid time off, sick leave. You get to work woth great people.
Pros
Great benifets
The place is a zoo.
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Albuqerque, NMAugust 10, 2018
Overflowing with homeless drunks and drug addicts. Poor treatment by the medical staff. UNMPD rarely responds to calls at the hospital. Being affiliated with the university the police department want to keep there call volume as low as possible. This creates a very dangerous environment for the security officers.
Productive, fast-paced workplace with flexible hours.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 10, 2018
For me a typical day at work is knowing that i did my absolute best to ensure that the patients that were under my care received the best i could provide. I learn something new every day, whether that is something as simple as new information that is buzzing in the social network or a new method of approach to something I have previously done, every day brings new information. The hardest part about my job is having to deal with difficult patients, but anything I can do to turn those patient's opinion and putting a smile on their face makes it much more satisfying.
I loved the fast pace work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 1, 2018
I would have to fill out medication machine with a variety of medication, check all the inventory of the machines. I had to fill liquid syringes with liquid medication specified to the specific patients needs. I had to take care of 6 different floors with 15 to 18 machines.
Great place to work if position available. A lot of outsourcing jobs though.
Transcriptionist/editor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 25, 2018
Good place to work if positions are not outsourced. They have good benefits, manager was very good. They offer surveys to share your perspective on the company, what can be improved, etc. An excellent hospital, provided good work experience.
Independent work environment
Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 24, 2018
Enjoyed being able to work independently as well as being held accountable for your own work. Projects and additional work as needed always provided.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Some great nurses.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 16, 2018
Do not trust management, Older nurses and ADN's are being discouraged, Career ladder has been changed to disallow length of service and company loyalty to count toward rungs of ladder, Loyalty and steady and continued service NOT appreciated
Pros
Some great nurses
Cons
The interns and residents are always changing, Fewer management people come across as truly trustworthy.
I loved UNMH
RN (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 12, 2018
This was a difficult company to get on with as a new nurse with no experience who was trained out of state. A few years later and I had many units expressing interest.
After several years with the organization in three different units I can say that I truly appreciated my time there. I had so much opportunity for growth and development. Yes my salary increased, but so did my knowledge and abilities as a nurse. I was fortunate to have some wonderful experiences peppered with some not so great ones. I became a supervisor, was given the opportunity to attend a leadership academy, I had wonderful mentors, had many continuing education opportunities, and even got my Master's degree paid for.
That said, I had several subpar colleagues and I feel that some people stayed due to it being difficult to fire them because of the union. Even before becoming a supervisor it was truly difficult to have a good work-life balance. There is no mandatory overtime for regular staff but if you have good work ethic and a love for your unit it can be easy to get sucked into working more than is honestly safe.

The cafeteria is very good, the gift shops are well stocked, parking is horrible, the compensation is fair but not fantastic, the teaching hospital aspect is very unique, the providers tend to be amazing. So yes, I would totally recommend this organization. I will most likely return at some point.
Pros
Good learning environment, mostly good coworkers, company pays 6% of salary into retirement account, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Worst parking I have ever dealt with, some incompetent coworkers, pay could be better
Food and Nutrition Director (Former Employee) –  Barbar and Bill Richardson PavilionJune 8, 2018
No problems at all working there. I was always supported by Hospital Administration and always felt that they were there to help the community and their employees.
Benefits
Cons
Fiscal restraint, i.e. Budgets
Great
Patient care coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 6, 2018
Unmh is a great placed to work. Worked in only two department in the 11 years ive been at unmh. Unmh is a teaching hospital and they want to you higher your education

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNM Hospitals. Our community is ready to answer.

UNM Hospitals Reviews by Location