UNM HOSPITALS Employee Reviews

I loved UNMH
RN (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 12, 2018
This was a difficult company to get on with as a new nurse with no experience who was trained out of state. A few years later and I had many units expressing interest.
After several years with the organization in three different units I can say that I truly appreciated my time there. I had so much opportunity for growth and development. Yes my salary increased, but so did my knowledge and abilities as a nurse. I was fortunate to have some wonderful experiences peppered with some not so great ones. I became a supervisor, was given the opportunity to attend a leadership academy, I had wonderful mentors, had many continuing education opportunities, and even got my Master's degree paid for.
That said, I had several subpar colleagues and I feel that some people stayed due to it being difficult to fire them because of the union. Even before becoming a supervisor it was truly difficult to have a good work-life balance. There is no mandatory overtime for regular staff but if you have good work ethic and a love for your unit it can be easy to get sucked into working more than is honestly safe.

The cafeteria is very good, the gift shops are well stocked, parking is horrible, the compensation is fair but not fantastic, the teaching hospital aspect is very unique, the providers tend to be amazing. So yes, I would totally recommend this organization. I will most likely return at some point.
Pros
Good learning environment, mostly good coworkers, company pays 6% of salary into retirement account, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Worst parking I have ever dealt with, some incompetent coworkers, pay could be better
Fast paced job, stressful enviroment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 12, 2018
Good job, communication is lacking, and training could be better. High stress environment, also there is a chance of injury as our department deals with aggressive and altered patients daily, to include intoxicated subjects and those who are altered from drugs.
Pros
good people
Cons
lack of communication
Great place to work with great benefits
Outpatient Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 7, 2018
Awesome place to work great managers and great benefits. I liked everything about it but eish that overtime was offered. Work hours are Monday thru Friday 8am to 430pm.
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
No overtime
Good salary
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 20, 2018
Out of most places salary is duable, good management, like the location, the parking is great at the business office. Great benefits and I was able to roll over my 401b.
Pros
Has a union
Cons
Parking
Productive place to work
PATIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 18, 2018
Good environment to work in. Colleagues are exceptional and outstanding. Loved face to face interaction with the patients on a day to day basis. Love the interactions between departments.
Staffing tech
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 30, 2017
UNMH is a great place to work, as a staffing tech you gain lots of experience and knowledge working everywhere through the years. Your learn to adapt to change and learn to work with many personalities. Hard work no raises but great way to obtain experience and find the field you enjoy.
Pros
Gain Knowledge of how every floor runs, meet some very caring employees.
Cons
Staffing director Cindy Quintana is very bitter and uncaring towards staff, wrong person for that job/department.
UNM is a fast paced learning trauma1 Hospitals, diverse culture environment, very educational
Outpatient Clerk, Westside Family & Senior Clinic (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 29, 2017
UNM is one of the best hospitals to work at in NM. It is a great learning experience and they are always looking to add willing and motivated people to their teams. It’s fast paced and great benefits.
Pros
Learning Hospital, pays for continuous education, decent pay outstanding benefits, most of coworkers, providers and Residents are a plus to work with
Cons
Certain areas Clinic director and management micromanage, Pay raise do not exist unless promoted to a higher position
great place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 28, 2017
A typical day at work was a 12 hour shift. I worked nights 7pm to 7am. I had 5 different patients a night. I did IVs, injections, charting, Blood pressure and vitals. I feed the patients. I would take their blood sugars and would monitor their input and output.
Great experience & great place to work
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 18, 2017
Would like to work closer to home. Great place to work, I have learned a lot here at unmh. A lot of great co-workers. I have worked on all floors at UNMH & have enjoyed my time here & am currently looking for employment closer to my home in Tio Rancho
Benefits
Cons
Driving time
fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 17, 2017
The coworkers were fun to work with and they were team players. I liked working with patients and helping people. I was not a stressful job or an environment.
Excellent work environment
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 31, 2017
Excellent work environment with fulfilling work and helpful co-workers. Work was hard with pt's needed total care but pt census was always reasonable in response to this
Pros
good pt census
Cons
not always time for breaks
Stressful, busy, and not always about patient care as it is about discharging and admitting.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 8, 2017
They really need to build another UNM Hospital. The current one is so busy and fast paced that every day you go home you are exhausted. Its hard to maintain a job like that.
challanging but always fun
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
working here I found that I had challenges everyday but not in a bad way. It was a great working environment and helped me build good relationships with people within the company.
Productive and good working place
Patient Service Tech/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 19, 2017
Very busy environment, working in various depts. loved dealing with patients, very diverse. Loved the atmosphere, a lot of team work everyone works together and communicate
It's a very beneficial job!
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 16, 2017
Typical day at work includes feeding and doing cares for babies, also quite a bit of stocking. In this job I have learned to take care of babies and what to watch for with infant safety in the work place. The hardest part of this job is the emotional connection with the babies that come threw here, the circumstances are very sad at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is the hands on work you have with the babies.
Pros
the benefits are great and the hands on work is nice
Cons
they are 12 hour shifts
Sucked
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 14, 2017
Sucked would complain about the sky if they could, they wouldnt send us supplies to clean and would constantpy send people up to do my job with no reason
Good
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87106April 21, 2017
Could use more staff and more pay rather than a raise every 5 yrs put more staff on the input floors there would be less falls and more happier staff instead of gettijg burned out and patients getting hurt
A day working at UNM
Environmental Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 12, 2017
My typical day at work was very busy I managed 22 offsite clinics for UNM. I traveled a lot checking my clinics daily, inspections, ATP swabs, evaluations. I learned that each employee is different and you have to be able to adjust your management style to assist and improve and grow each employee. We had a lot of turn over in management this last 2 years which is one of the reason I left. My hardest part of my job was try to give each employee the time I felt they needed with my clinics being so far apart. I love my staff and enjoyed them.
benefits
Cons
not enough time with my managment
They do not Value the Emplyees
System Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 13, 2017
The mantra is "Do More With Less" which means Work Harder for the Same Pay.
I 'Support Services' the environment is needlessly high pressure.
Upper Management is completely OUT OF TOUCH
Pros
OK pay good Benefits
Cons
Pressure, the C-Suite might as well be on Mars
Excellent learning environment
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 25, 2017
It was a place where despite all of the troubles happening in your life, you learned how to appreciate everything that you had, for it could be taken from you in the blink of an eye

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNM HOSPITALS. Our community is ready to answer.

UNM HOSPITALS Reviews by Location