Unum
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Unum Employee Reviews

United States794 reviews

ptobalanceclaimmetricdisabilitychattanoogaworklifeclaimant

Over worked and under paid

Sadly unum preaches paying fair wages and thanks you’s for hard work, but we truly aren’t paid enough. One position is truly 4 and when asking for raises you won’t get them .

Benefits

Cons

PTO but it’s hard to use

It’s ok I guess

First 6 months was awesome, but I noticed no matter how knowledgeable I was on a call I’d could always do better or they’d find something to pick about. Customers are extremely draining, 10 hour shift only allows 30 minutes for lunch, and I had concerns that were dismissed. They put me in a department I didn’t ask to be in. I told my supervisor that I wasn’t ready to take on this task but they ignored my concerns and made me stay. The pto is great if you can use it!! Otherwise I’m over the monotony of being home and confined all day.

Unum insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Horrible Enviorment

Unum does not treat their employees or customers with respect or human decency. If you are looking for a company where you are over worked and under paid, this is the place for you. Unum will drive you to the point of depression and anxiety, Management and upper management do not care about their employee's. I would advise anyone and everyone to run the other way.

What is the best part of working at the company?Many nice people to work with What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Very bust SIU with lots of potential fraud investigations which meant lots of travel to jurisdictions where the claim fraud occurred and testimony or presentations to the court, grand jury or insurance fraud bureaus. Great support by upper management though. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Good work environment What is a typical day like for you at the company?Preparing cases for prosecution or examining potential fraudulent claims

Decent

Good pay and great benefits. Over worked though. Worked over 60 hours a week but was salaried so didn’t make any additional money. Other companies pay better.

Good work environment.

Supportive management and good work/life balance. Can be a steep learning curve for healthcare providers who’ve never worked in a corporate setting. Many internal learning opportunities available to employees.

Nice place

Good place to work but the phone calls can be very overwhelming. A few seconds between calls and sometimes customers are very irate. Supervisors are really nice.

What is the best part of working at the company?Remote and flex scheduleWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The people and culture. Very corporate and full of cliques. You're either in the in crowd and promoted quickly... or just work hard and get overlooked.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Lacking.... they talk big but the culture is work hard and work like a robot with no feelings or realness.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Back to back meetings 8-5. Have to work late every night just to get anything done.

An okay beginner company

My first 3-6 months at Unum were awesome. There were great benefits, company meetings, a great cafeteria and the work wasn't bad, repetitive but not bad. Once you get settled in though it starts to feel like you are back in high school. The cliques and the favoritism from management were disheartening once I realized I was just another cog in the machine. I got let go for a valid reason and for mistakes that were my own. I will own up to that. However this was my first company job, I was young and I made a mistake. I felt like termination was a little over the top for my tenor their and the severity of my actions. And when I asked my manager if their was anyway I could come back to the company later on down the road (I'm talking 3-5 years) when I had gotten more experience and time had passed, she said I would never be allowed back. I think now with the dual 2 days on site and 3 at home it may be a little bit better, But If I was given the opportunity to come back I wouldn't.

Pros

Benefits, Onsite Cafeteria, Easy workload

Cons

Manager Favoritism, Highschool Environment

What is the best part of working at the company?You got your pto/vacation days up-front other that NOTHINGWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Everything training was done all out of order of how you are suppose to do the job. You had to learn the role of other people's job that you would never even gave to do. They lie and say you have a year to become efficient at the job but they will fire you before than.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It wasn't fine. I worked from home.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Miserable. It wasn't for me I quit after month or so.

No flexibility no work life balance

My experience as a customer service rep still gives me ptsd. We’re cut off from the whole rest of the company and trying to apply out after the required 18 month commitment is a nightmare because we gain no “fundamental business experience”

What is the best part of working at the company?The Pto. They provide you with a lot of time & encourage you to take it What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The expectation to be perfect. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Remotely. MicromanagingWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Back to back calls about short term disability orFMLA

Good Pay and Teamwork

Typical call center, several back to back calls. I enjoy being able to assist others and the team is always helpful to each other. Benefits are great.

Like Family

It was a family environment. You felt care for by management. Benefits were great. I dont know if they still do but the profit sharing was a nice bonus for jobs well done.

Flexibility and benefits for me and my family to thrive

As a working parent flexibility is not a perk, it's a requirement. Unum not only provides valuable work and a thriving culture, but a robust benefits package that allows myself and my family to thrive. I've received other offers from other companies, but they never compare to the flexibility and benefits Unum provides for its employees. If you want to work for an employer that cares about its people, this place is for you!

What is the best part of working at the company?The pay and mentor line for support with callsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Training should include more content What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Everyone is professional and takes the job serious.

I love this company

Unum is the best company that I have ever worked for. The benefits were amazing. The culter was amazing. The office was amazing. Everyone is welcome and you are trained accordingly. They want you to succeed and the room for growth is amazing.

It was ok

The job itself was draining emotionally, I like my coworkers a lot. It definitely has a family oriented environment. Overall it was an ok experience.

High Turnover, Terrible management

There would regularly be 300+ waiting in queue with less than 20 agents to manage those calls. Which was very much because of the high turnover. They will also make you pay back your PTO you use if you don't stay for an entire year and even sue you to recover it. Management and the company as a whole are absurd. No way to actually obtain the perfection requesting, as the definition of perfection seems to change by the minute.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management, Turn Over, Pto

high turn over rate

Bad - To many mentors and managements telling you different ways to do your job, there is no one standard way of processes things, made it very confusing and doubting yourself all the time, also work load was to much for one person to handle, you were always do the work of 2-3 people. high stress company to work for.Good - meet a lot of great people and some were willing to help you.

Challenging work. Lots of support and opportunity.

Experienced a great deal of professional growth at Unum. Working in a disability benefits/claims environment is very challenging, but also rewarding when it's the right fit.Unum has great training and support for professional development.Great people too!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unum. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Unum with

• Unum
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?