Unum Employee Reviews

Unum is an productive and rewarding place to work
Sr. Telephonic Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 10, 2018
My role as a Sr. Telephonic Specialist has allowed me to have day to day interaction with clients and business partners. I have a vast amount of knowledge relating to customer services, brands, empathy, and billing knowledge related to rates and payments.

Management at Unum is excellent. The management staff takes the initiative to promote a positive culture and support a positive home and work life balance..

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with clients and business partner. Achieving and exceeding any goal or standards set by Unum. Job sharing other areas and gaining knowledge and experience in other business areas with in Unum.
Busy environment, stressful, but I loved my job there.
Sr. CSR (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 27, 2018
I learned many roles through the years with Unum. I loved working there and only reason I'm not there right now is because I was laid off. I really miss Unum.
Productive workplace that cares about its people and the customers they serve
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 24, 2018
Productive workplace that cares about its people and the customers they serve. Management leads change and positive culture. Opportunities for career advancement and professional development.
Management needs work
Records Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 18, 2018
Management was non-supportive and didn't seem to care much regarding employees. Productivity was highly emphasized. Scheduling time off was difficult. Going "above and beyond" by employees, was often ignored by management, who pushed for more productivity. Management was also non-supportive in career advancement.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Amount of productivity was never good enough.
Engaging and demanding workplace with great work-life balance
EDI Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 17, 2018
My time at Unum has been great. I have had the opportunity to advance my career due to management encouragement and coaching. The people there care about the work and take the time to actively mentor and assist you on your career path.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
High volume of work
Very stressful, poor management. Great benefits
Customer Service Specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 13, 2018
I poured 4 years of my life into the Contact Center. Every 6 months to a year I would get past over for promotions and other positons to ridiculous reasons. Such as, "you need more consistency" or "your rating was 93.5 percent and needs to be 94 percent".
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible work life balance. Very stressful. Unappreciative
Competitive place of work with few opportunities for career advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 12, 2018
I was hired via a temporary staffing agency and offered a part-time position to handle the most tedious and time-consuming tasks for a Finance Specialist. For 4 hours a day, I would enter data from checks sent by disability recipients who had received over payments or data from checks of life insurance subscribers. Both my managers were very nice. The Upper Management only cares about the money and would not let my manager group 4 part-time employees into 2 full-time employees, so that they did not have to pay health benefits, except of course to benefit one of my manager's favorites later on.
Pros
Good managers, gym, cafeteria
Cons
No health benefits for PT employees, lack of career advancement
Great Company work for career advancement and very diverse.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 11, 2018
I started off as a customer service representative promoted to the Marketing Department and then Administrative Assistant to V.P of Underwriting. UNUM was a fabulous company to work for, never a dull day. I got to travel to several states with this company and attend meeting.
Pros
Team players and advancement opportunities, sky is the limit.
Cons
Relocated to Portland Maine
Productive place with great time off
Digital Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 7, 2018
Working at Unum group was a great experience. I learned how to print about ten thousand checks per night trouble shoot machines and run them through diagnosis. Unum was a good place to work . this job was outsourced.We did quality work in a timely fashion with very few errors. The hardest part of this job was completing all the work by six am. I learned how to be a team player and get all the cycle work out per night.
Pros
great insurance and paid time off
Cons
worked night shift
Productive and Fun Workplace
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 31, 2018
It was a good workplace where i get to learn lot of information regarding health care domain.

I have learned tools which are defect tracking and requirement tracking.
Great company for a parent or materialistic workaholic
IT Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 24, 2018
If your life focuses on raising one or more children, this is a great company for you. You will take home good money, have great benefits and you will have time outside of work and low stress to be with your children. Also if you like dressing nice and trying to live high class and lacking a good personality, you will enjoy working here. For anyone else, try to look elsewhere. This is a for-profit insurance company, and it is behind the times with technology. Outsourcing to cheaper contractors is becoming more common, and benefitting your career for outside of this company is very difficult. If you enjoy your environment and job here, you can be very happy with staying with the company until retirement - but if not you need to get out as soon as you can.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Paid Time Off, Low Stress, Good Work/Life balance
Cons
Boring industry, slacking in tech advancement, political, dress code
Pros and cons
Senior FMLA Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 22, 2018
Getting a merit increase (raise) is almost impossible and instead you just need to get promoted. To be able to make more money I had to change jobs several times in the few years I worked for the company.
Pros
Good benefits, often free food, a lot of PTO
Cons
Many people terminated without warning, salary is not very competitive
Ltd dbs
Senior Disability Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 19, 2018
Claims load 80-90. Wonderful training. Great support from clinical and voc. As in any large company, the culture varied by manager. Some were wonderful, supportive and instructive, while others admitted they could not do the job the people they managed were doing.
Pros
Training, clinical and voc support
Cons
Uneven management support
A typical 9 to 5 Job
Market Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 18, 2018
Overall the company is okay to work for. There are constantly new updates and changes every week with procedures/software. And the company could use some work on consistency. Turnover can be high, but the senior level staff or work at homes have stayed for years.
Pros
Rarely have to do overtime
Cons
Uneven workload balance among the team
Pretty average corporate job
Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 13, 2018
Very pretty campus
Management pretty routinely promises things which never turn out to happen, you get used to it
Most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
low actual compensation
At Unum, I received several oppertunities to grow within the company.
Group Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSMay 6, 2018
Unum Provident is where I began my group insurance background. I started as assisting Account Managers and after 6 years and several positions later, I was an Account Consultant. Very thankful for all of the opportunities learning and growing with the company.
Pros
Work environment.
Cons
I cannot think of any
Typical Cube and Clique Environment
Communications Consultant II (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 3, 2018
Cliquey and not inspiring. The only thing that kept me going were the fabulous people in the Toast Master's club I joined at Unum--that was a great outlet for which to grow and gain support, but management did not encourage it, I had to seek it out myself.
Customer Service is a Nightmare!
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 3, 2018
Working as a CSSI and CSSII was a total nightmare. I was bombarded by calls all day long. There was no time to breathe between calls. You get one minute to finish up documentation before you are expected to take the next call, which is guaranteed to be routed to you as soon as you are available. This is because call volumes are extremely high at Unum. It may be due to understaffing, it may be due to confusing website navigation. It could also be the frustration claimants deal with in trying to reach their assigned specialists. And the caller you speak with WILL be unhappy. They're injured/sick, feeling harassed by paperwork, their income was suddenly cut off, etc.
On top of this, the expectation as a CSSI and CSSII is that you meet ALL metrics. You cannot take more than a combined 30 minutes of bathroom breaks and 30 minutes of lunch per day, even if you need time to calm down after a really stressful call. If you go over your hour's worth of break you may be subject to termination. You have to consistently be on the phone for all 8 hours you're scheduled. You literally get no time to check emails unless you want to use your break time.
The perks are good, but only when you get time to use them. You get lots of PTO. When I worked there, I had several doctor's appointments planned that I had to reschedule due to PTO dates not being approved.
Also, if you don't meet your metrics and you are given a warning, you will not be given a lot of time to get your metrics perfect before you're terminated. You'll be terminated on a Friday afternoon by being asked to come to a meeting
  more... without notice, but they will have decided to terminate you much earlier in the week. While you're in the meeting, assistants will be gathering up your personal items from your desk, and your whole team will know you're fired before you do. So if you are put on performance improvement due to not meeting metrics, my advice is to start seeking another job right then.

This position is NOT for everyone. You will have to work as a rep for 18 months before you are eligible for transfer to another department. If you get an opportunity to transfer, take it! You'll get burned out on call center duties and that will lead to lower performance, and you'll eventually be fired. Personally, I had great numbers on my metrics. I was the standard for the rest of my team for a long time, but I started getting burned out because I put all of my efforts into my work. I was expected to provide great service but I went above and beyond for my callers and rarely saw any benefit from it.
But, if you're the type of person that loves to be challenged and doesn't mind being personally degraded by your customers, you might enjoy this job. You have lots of support from peers and subject experts whenever you have questions. My manager was very nice and easy to reach for the most part. Unum values feedback and input. I enjoyed being able to send an idea up the line to my superiors to implement change. But I will probably never work there again due to not only the dry content of the work but also the incessant abuse from callers.
Pros
cafeteria with lots of options, downtown views, professional environment, Pto, various benefits
Cons
stress, little work life balance, no mental/emotional support
Horrible lazy management
Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 1, 2018
The Company itself is great. The managers and upper management they bring is the worse of the worse. They are lazy. They will throw you under the bus if needed. Only care about themselves and how they appear. Customers are not first they are next to last with Employees being the last.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Management, Fairness, Work Life Balence
Corporate America
Variable Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 25, 2018
Unum is a great job, deending on the department that you work in, it also depends on the manager that you have. Overall, I would like to work in my field and have 40 hours a week and not 20 hours in the off season of enrollment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unum. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight