Unum Employee Reviews

Waitress (Current Employee) –  Morton, ILJanuary 21, 2019
Great owners and friendly staff. Whiskey lounge in MORTON Illinois. Family owned. Worked lunches and really enjoy it. It’s alittle slow at the moment but will pick back up in March
Pros
Half price lunch
Great Place to Work
Senior Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 21, 2019
This is a great place to work. Unum takes Work Life Balance and Inclusion and Diversity seriously. There is no discrimination here except if you have no formal education.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Great company to work for!
Procurement Officer & Travel Category Manager (Former Employee) –  SurreyJanuary 18, 2019
Look after their staff
Flexible ways of working
Great recognition events
Nice working environment
Opportunities for sponsored study
Dorking location beautiful!
Pros
Looks after their employees
Cons
Offices are in the suburbs. Not great maternity leave.
Mostly great place two work
Client Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 14, 2019
I like my job at Unum. Working within the confines of a corporate insurance company can be challenging, but in general its good.

Great co workers.

Exposure to all different types of industry and employers.
Good Place to work
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MA 01608January 7, 2019
UNUM was a good place to work. Good Cafe' and onsite Gym. Worked closely with others in the group including other Paralegals, administrative folks and Attorneys.
stressful to the point of making you sick
Disability Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 7, 2019
The Position of Disability Benefit Specialist should be an hourly position but it is not. We are underpaid and overworked. Stress to the point of getting sick. We not only have to do the claims work but we take all the calls like a call center. They demand that you finish all your work in order to be allowed to take a day off.
Great company culture and work/life balance
Corporate Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 7, 2019
The company offered a breadth of opportunities to learn as a young professional. Work/life balance and employee resource groups made the environment enjoyable and relateable.
No comment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 3, 2019
I have not worked for UNUM in 2.5 years and don't feel as though I can give a fair and updated comment. However, when I did work at UNUM it was a good place to work.
UNUM was an excellent place to work and they invest in their employees.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 26, 2018
I loved working at UNUM and appreciated the advancement opportunities. UNUM invested time for training with all employees at every level. They also recognized excellent service with annual trips and bonuses.
Great Benefits - Employment Uncertainty
SENIOR SYSTEM ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 18, 2018
Unum provides good benefits to its employee's. The pay is good, the insurance is adequate.However, job security is seemingly always in question which creates a stressful environment creating moral problems.
My Unum review
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 14, 2018
Daily:
. Review and respond to emails, participate in business meetings, update documentation, as needed, setup/execute on Test Plans or create Documents, as needed, discuss questions/issues with team members, as needed.

Learnings & Culture:
. Unum provided various trainings, especially during the early years.
. I worked my way into new jobs as my knowledge of products, systems and tools and their connections.
. I broadened my knowledge of our customer service business practices and systems, then I was moved to Corporate and learned more about Payroll, Human Resources and Supply Management areas, using Workday Integrations and data.
. I was able to work in a Field Sales Office for two months to gain experience/understanding of their practices (years ago).
. I learned processes, systems, and tools necessary to do my job and expand my abilities, in order to minimize dependencies on developers for some data.
. I was able to Manage some Projects, sometimes acting as Business Analyst (BA) and Project Manager (PM) on smaller projects, as Lead BA on larger projects, especially when I was the expert on the systems and coordinated the testing efforts with business testing resources.
. I was able to work from home, as needed.
. I participated in community events with teammates, to understand some of the hardships others go through, and what our community does to help them get through them.

Most Difficult:
. There were times that there were so many projects at the same time that we needed to re-prioritize and back off end dates on lower priority items, bring in other
  more... resources, if needed. Then we would re-review those items that were lower priority, as we completed the higher priorities.

Most Enjoyable:
. The excitement of starting a new project that would help improve processes, efficiencies and/or reduce duplication of effort.
Pros
Ability to work offsite, Flexible schedule, Variety of jobs/career paths available
Cons
Some Managers less flexible than others (inconsistencies), sometimes multiple managers moved around in a short period of time
Nice place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 9, 2018
Good medical, dental, vision, life insurance, cafe on site, training, awards for excellent work, ability to move up, open door policy, cross training,
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Be Careful
Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 7, 2018
Worked in management for an independent contractor assigned to run the security department within one of their corporate sites (one of their two main offices to be exact).

Had a run in with their security liaison (the 20 year rent-a-cop security guard who had utilized the peter effect to climb their corporate ladder) - long story short, this man had some disappointing views about gender equality and LBGTQ employees.

Ended up filing internally, as he was causing disruptions to our ability to manage our staff (as agreed upon within the master services agreement).

Unum's response? CYA (or CTA), swept this all under the rug.

Believe me or don't. This situation was so absurd it led to me leaving the corporate security world. Would rather be back overseas as opposed to mingling or dealing with these types of shady individuals.
Pros
relatively decent compensation
Cons
its an insurance company - trust me, doing the right thing doesnt matter.
ASSOCIATE LEAVE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 6, 2018
One of my favorite jobs to work at. You got to sit at your desk and work on your list for the day. It was calm, quiet, the work load could get stressful at times but nothing that was unbearable. My manager and team assignment did make a huge difference.
Quickly paced competitive work environment
Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 4, 2018
Unum is a great company to be a part of. Typically your day starts with checking your work load and planning how you will attack it. The hardest part of the day is in the beginning when you set that plan. The workplace culture is great, although highly competitive. The most enjoyable part of the day was looking at your cleared work list after. It was such a satisfying feeling.
Pros
Breaks as you need, no one standing over your shoulder, great lunchroom
Cons
Very cut throat environment, steep learning curve
Worst Place to work..... I'm trying to get out of her ASAP
Long Term DBA (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 29, 2018
Workplace culture is like high school in a bad way. Worst part of the job is having to decline claimants claim. There is nothing enjoyable about the Glendale office. Management is not helpful, most of the managers been with the company for 10-20 and are afraid of change. Do not suggest a better way of doing a task, management will look down on you. Managers do not keep up with the rules and regulation therefore they are not helpful when new trainees start . Managment is only worried about the number of claims you process. They do not care about the claimant at all. Also management thinks that every claimant is not telling the truth about their claim. Do your research on Unum. I'm looking to leave ASAP. I have been here long enough. Also everyone is related to each other, either they are husband and wife, brothers, best friends. So beware aware of who you vent to because they probably best friend with the VP or husband or wife a manager.
Pros
nothing good about this place
Cons
Management, Culture, Salary
No job security
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeNovember 29, 2018
If your system goes down for any reason make sure it’s documented, call someone, report it because if not you will get fired. They will ask for an explanation and then they’ll conduct and investigation. There’s no feedback on the calls and the manager would not listen to your calls unless she’s out to get you. QA listens to your calls every week and the manager does not follow up so there’s not way an employee can improve if there’s no feedback
Pros
Pto, good hours, good systems to work with.
Cons
No follow up from manager and no further yraining
Good work environment
Manager of Claims (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CANovember 19, 2018
A good place to work. Good work environment. People were fine, and management was great. I would not mind going back to work for them if they pay was much higher.
relaxed
Senior Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 19, 2018
Unum was is a large company and there was lots of room from advancement. Unum had online classes and reimburstment for classes taken if your received a high grade.
Wonderful place to build a career! There are no limits to the advancements you can make at this company and they care aboit their employees!
Billing Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 16, 2018
I wouldn't trade my 8 and a half years at Unum for anything. This company inspired me to give 110% at all times and helped me build an amazing career.
Pros
Benefits competitive pay and family atmosphere
Cons
Stressful and lots of hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unum. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss