Unum
55Below average
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Unum Employee Reviews

United States547 reviews
good
good company- job elimination no other comments
was with this company for over 40 years.

good company

good benefits

will refer someone to work there
Not horrible, but VERY mentally draining
I went into this with an open mind. There are a lot of opportunities to work remotely (which I do) which is nice. My manager is very nice and doesn’t micromanage our team unless it’s absolutely necessary, and the pay is probably better than a similar position with a different company. I feel like there isn’t a lot of support for employees, and this job can be difficult at times( mentally not physically). We are treated more as numbers than people which is frustrating. If you take more than 5 days of unplanned time you could be fired. People can get sick more than 5 days a year or emergencies can come up. I wouldn’t recommend this job to someone that gets stressed easily, or anyone that values their sanity and happiness. Over my time here, I feel like most of my happiness has been sucked out of me.
It wasn’t for me
I’d like to start off by saying that mostly all of my co-workers that I became close with enjoy this job, it just wasn’t for me. The benefits package is wonderful, and pay is fair. I initially enjoyed the challenges but when cross-trained in a more difficult skill earlier than expected, it became a lot more work, and a lot more difficult with only a .50¢ raise. The trainers try to comfort you by saying you can reach out for help to the mentor line, but the mentor line never answers and if they do, they are not very nice and sometimes make you feel stupid. Additionally, during my first week outside of training (PTS) I was getting constant skype messages from my manager stating I’ve been taking too long to complete my after all work. This was really discouraging as I wasn’t fully confident in the new skill and wanted to make sure I was documenting the call accurately. It this made it seem as though they only care about numbers, me@& metrics.
Pros
Generous benefits/PTO package
Cons
Difficult, too much emphasis on metrics and audits while you’re still learning
Job
Customer service supervisors doesn't know anything about what they are supervising. No help at all. They like to take extended breaks and lunches or either just leave after 1PM with excuses they leaving to work from home, without equipment. Pathetic!
Pros
Working for UNUM is great.
Cons
Working at the Baton Rouge office is like working for the devil
The worst job I have ever worked
This is without question the most soul sucking job I have ever worked. Average handle time for calls is 5 minutes or less and we are not supposed to take more than 60 seconds between calls. Idle time is forbidden. You cannot even catch your breath. It’s near impossible to score well on audits. Calls pick up automatically, so if you’re blowing your nose, sneezing, taking a drink of water, and the phone picks up, and you take 5 seconds to clear your throat, you’ll be audited for not answering the call immediately.

Pay is okay. Honestly, for taking 80-100 calls a day, and dealing with all of the responsibility and work, it’s not worth it. Cross training is a joke, resulting in even more work and 50 cent raises.

I hate my job and I loathe going to work every day. It’s terrible. It’s really, really hard to take that many calls and not be allowed idle time. WE ARE NOT MACHINES.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
My position was eliminated right after I left
The sales reps I worked with could get away with anything so long as they were making sales, and that is why I left. Not long afterward the position was eliminated.
Everyone loves Unum, but hates their Job
The company is overall a positive place, but it is also some of the most frustrating, complicated, confusing, and fast paced work I could imagine. The managers are nice and the company culture is fantastic. Flex time is awesome for those with children. However, the work is so dreadful and there is so much that nearly every person works 50+ hours per week without any sense of accomplishment. Imagine waking up to get to the office early, working through the lunch without taking a break, then going home, eating some dinner. Logging in and working another hour at home, t only to realize that your work list, task, list etc looks like you didn’t work that day. But hey, good benefits right?

FYI - most jobs will make $45k to $50k with no related experience or skills, but you will want to quit every single day you work here.

Pros:

-flex time

-good PTO

-maternity/paternity

-good benefits

-good pay for entry roles that require no experience

Cons:

-workloads (it is insane)

-high survailence/ tracking/ recording of everything

- outdated software

-obscure workflows, processes, and policies

-literally every person hates their job and is just hoping to get a raise or move positions
Don’t work here, sweat shop equivalent
Management is horrible, especially brand new managers that have come on in the past month. They have know clue, think they’re showing off by letting great employees go and then talk negatively about them, smh. I’ve seen managers sitting at their desks watching Dancing with the Stars and Netflix. Upper management is worse. They’ll work you 50-60 hours a week and then gripe about your numbers. Worst place I’ve ever worked.
run
Disrespectful, focused on cliques and fun. Popularity contest less concerned about socializing then quality work.
Learned there is an in crowd and an out crowd

Mgt focused on climbing the ladder v. developing talent

poor culture, discrimination

hardest part of job: poor mgt

most enjoyable flexibility
Stay away
The company says they value diversity but they do not. Instead they practice racism, ageism, and sexism. Many people have left for this reason and more will leave unless Corporate does something about
Cons
Senior Leadership
A great first real job. But its a corporate giant that simply has no cohesive vision or goal
They're too big to have any understanding of employee needs or even an awareness of who is doing what, how many employees there are in a department on any given day, or even what others do who sit right across the hall. That being said, they are a fairly stable company. A couple layoffs while I was there, but others who'd been in the same role for 30 years.
Pros
Well-known company with good benefits.
Cons
Lack of adaptability, as is inherently unavoidable with large corporations unless you're unaware of the degradation.
Work opportunities
There are great work opportunities at Unum. It has been very easy to move up within the company. I enjoy learning new things and being able to move up 4 times within 5 years, I was given the opportunity to learn many new things about the company and different departments.

My last position had a 0 tolerance for mistakes and although I was still in training they let me go because I made a mistake.
It used to be a great company!
I worked at Unum for almost a decade and it used to be a great company. It is difficult to move around the company as a minority unless you’re going to the contact center or std. Luckily, they have hired a new group for Inclusion but the company still has a ways to go.

Cons: lacking transparency on changes, fear of retaliation is apparent.

Awesome PTO, 401k matching, community outreach, maternity leave.
N/a
I worked here for three years and it was a difficult time for me. The company is a great company to work for and there is a lot of support from peers and managers to succeed in your role. They have a lot of community events and groups. They value employees.
Pros
Community events, support, location, flexible hours
Cons
Salary, manager
Escalated Claims Complaints
Honestly, the pay is not enough to take 20+ escalated claims calls every day. Most of management is competent, my supervisor was not. She thought playing a trivia game once a week would make it ok. This is a very high stress job. A typical call is a grieving mom whose son was shot and killed in a drug deal and you have to tell her she can’t collect on the life insurance.
Productive work environment
- Productive work environment,
- team engagement,

- change management challengers,

- balanced, flexible work culture,

- diverse teams,

- global teams,
Great work life balance in the workplace.
UNUM is a company that expects you to have a work life balance. They want their employees not to be burnt out and overloaded. Great work space with onsite Gym and extremely healthy oriented cafeteria.
Pros
Gym, Cafe and work space
Cons
Entry pay
Lots of opportunities to move around. Brand Recognition
Nice to work for a company with such brand recognition and excellent resources for its employees to do their job. However you are the small fish in a big pond.
Love a chance to work for Unum again
Lofty goals, great people. Nothing but great things to say. Company 401k match is generous and offsets lower base pay for some. This company cares.
If rest of company was as great as my personal Manager, it'd be a dream job
Manager is incredibly helpful and considerate. She makes you feel part of a team and does what she can to keep morale up. Rest of the company however has shifted from caring about quality work to forcing as much work as possible onto their employees.

I've been there for years and have seen the culture change with the company initially neglecting to resolve staffing issues, creating the demand nearly impossible to maintain and actually impossible if you provide each customer with the attention they deserve.

You find yourself balancing which calls you can make or return and which will just have to be neglected until the next roulette of calls to make as if you spend more than just a few mins with each customer, you're going to be so behind that your list starts to spiral out of control.

On top of the increased demand, the company is now moving towards putting each individual team members numbers on a board that is viewed by all. If you're struggling, not only do your manager and you know about it, but so do the rest of the team.

I never really had the experience of being talked to about speed of my work getting done but I stress myself beyond healthy levels to get my work completed. If there is someone who struggles on the team, people start to get angry or irritable towards other team members even when there's nothing substantial to show they aren't slaving away and trying as hard as they can to keep up.

When I first started at Unum, I really enjoyed the culture and the team friendliness, the ability to focus on customers that may require additional attention
 - more...
Work environment varies across organizations, most people are genuine
The company tells a powerful story of acceptance, inclusion, and belonging for employees while providing an excellent, empathetic customer experience. In some regards, they have taken great strides to verbalize the need and importance of these aspects of the culture and brand. However, there is such great variation across the leadership team and its internal organizations that additional progress is hard to determine--- and just a few bad eggs can turn a great enterprise into a stressful and overly frustrating workplace.

In terms of the people-- for the most part, it seems that employees are genuinely interested and invested in helping claimants in their time of need. Friends are easy to make and developmental opportunities are endless for those who are interested in taking part (and who are supported by their leaders). In my experience, finding a direct leader who wants you to succeed in your career endeavors can be hard and may lead you to look elsewhere.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unum. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.