UofL Hospital Employee Reviews

Good place to work, great benefits 1
Clinical Assistant/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 2, 2019
Doctors, nurses, and techs care greatly about their patients. Doctors do a great job in diagnosing and treating the patients. No discrimination or bullying is accepted. Friendly atmosphere
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Being a sitter
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  3 northJuly 2, 2019
Great place to work love the staff and patients. Would stay but I need a full time position on days. Never any problems with management. Caring staff. Like family.
Productive and learning opportunity
Medical Assistant/ Burn Tech (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 1, 2019
The most enjoyable part of this job would have to be the opportunity of helping others when they are at their worst. Being able to help someone and see them progress from where they started to the end of their stay is absolutely amazing.
Great job
Progressive Care RN (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 27, 2019
I love working for ULH, great teaching facility. This place has great staff that's willing to help with anything you may need. Great place to grow and learn.
Pros
Games, activities
Cons
Changes in policies
If you just need a job this is for you
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 28, 2019
Management is very poor and outdated. No room for advancement. There have been no raises for a few years now. The workload is overbearing and stressful. No one seems to be happy.
Pros
a job
Cons
too many
Excellent Employer
Education Specialist - Nursing Education (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 17, 2019
University of Louisville Hospital is a smaller medical facility, that holds a Trauma I certification level. Working in the Nursing Education and Research Department allowed for challenging work, without take-home stress.
Productive work place
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 14, 2019
A productive workplace with opportunities for professional development. A good place to work with really great professionals. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with really great nurses and physicians provide comprehensive care to complex and diverse patients.
Horrible place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 4, 2019
The manager is super lazy and too faced. She speaks about her employees performance and makes negative remarks amongst other employees. Has lack of respect for others and is very unprofessional in the workplace. Her leads are just as bad as her. Can't keep leads because they all are constantly fighting with the employers and never on site to help others or monitor the lab. And the money ain't worth it. Was offered lead and glad to not have took the position with the poor management for sure. This was Jewish lab department not the actual U of L lab location.
Wait a few years for them to get it together.
Unit Coordinator/POA/Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 30, 2019
To run a hospital you HAVE to be organized and together.
They will bring patients to your floor that require PPEs. (If your the type that doesn’t want to go into a disease filled room, then this job is not for you)
The problem I have is that this type of thing is supposed to be checked and handled before being brought to you.
You’ll find yourself in a disease room all day with nothing on and by the end of the day... ( oh hey look we missed something) Now the whole floor is infected. Infectious disease came as fast as they could even though some people went home to their families. So now Were all walking around fully covered in white paste. Had to call the workers that went home and have them bring their families in. Smh TRUE STORY. And it didnt happen just ONCE. You have a 40% chance of taking bed bugs home with you. They are STILL trying to figure out the safest way for you to enter a bedbug room. But guess what?? Your going in there regardless of which method you choose. There is a bunny suit, which is a big white full CDC type covers all body even feet( you step in a zip up) and then the PPE that only covers the front of you. Lol what a joke!
Wait for it ..... on the flip side you can avoid all diseases and all of this at all costs if you are ....tada FOREIGN ..
Something to do with the fact that they could or could NOT be traveling back and forth between countries to see family.
It may seem like those of us that have to go in are “ hating” but I assure you, you will understand the frustration when you and that person are working that day. That means no matter how
  more... you split the rooms to be worked. YOU will have every disease patient plus your own side. Front and back with 2 techs and front middle back with 3 techs. So they could have 6 patients and you could have 20. Feel the drift.

BONUSESSSSS !!!

That is the ONLY thing I liked about working here. The Bonuses were loveeeee. If you already worked your 3 days you can pick up days. As many days as you want, plus you don’t have to do the same job. You can pick up as a POA ( one on one sitter in one patient room for 12hrs) or a transporter who transports patients of course. I worked 11 days out of 14 day pay period( biweekly) took home 2200 and I didn’t even have any bonus days. Bonus ranges from 5,7, and 10 dollars added to your wage. So if you make 12 then you have a chance @ 17, 19, and 22 dollars a hour !! PLUS they have two different shift differentials that really brings the money home on top of that. So with bonuses and SDs you can expect to bring home ALOT of money. Just sign up to receive the texts and whenever they are short staffed they will send out texts indicating which level of bonus they are offering. ( if you pick up a day just to pick it up, it does NOT count as bonus) It’s only if they really need people.

PLEASE READ ALSO
if you are applying to be a unit coordinator. Please know that you will really not be doing that job. Lol
They cross train everyone. I can assure you someone is already the UC and everyone would love to just sit up there at front and answer phones and do computer work and filing. YOU WILL BE A PCA (CNA)
Everyone gets their shot at being a UC, if your good you could CNA for one day and UC for your other two or vice versa. But I don’t want you to think that you interviewed for UC and they hired you, you’ll be working as that. Because you won’t. The nurses have to like you because you handle their paper work and the rest of the hospital has to like you too, since you are their point of contact for anything that’s regarding your unit.
You’ll be a CNA until they decide to cross train you.

HIDE YOUR FOOD HIDE YOUR EVERYTHING !!!
Use the lockers in the break room for everything, go buy you a lock. The hospital strives to help EVERYONE in need and that is including all the homeless people that roam all OVER the hospital. You’ll have to catch them sometimes using our employee and family showers. Ew. Call security. The amount of lunches and drinks and phones that get snatched up by them is ridiculous. UofL tried to do a little something about it by kicking more of them out, having more security patrol, posting “if you see them” pictures. They still do it anyways.

You get to pick your days but seniority does exist.
Your required to work like 6 or 7 weekend days out of a 4week period. Meaning there are about 12 weekend days in a month so you have to work at least half of them. Kind of confusing I know. But if you are a night shifter FRIDAY counts as a weekend day. * example * you work Fri Sat Sun for two weeks in the beginning of the month. That’s 6 weekend days. Now you don’t have to work a weekend for the rest of the month :) That’s only if you set it up that way.
So like each month is a diff schedule. You want to hurry up and pick your days on the calendar for that month. First come first serve while still incorporating the seniority

Pretty sure I filled you in enough :)
Pros
Bonus / cafeteria
Cons
Everything else
The most enjoyable part of my job
G4S (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 12, 2019
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people and putting a smile on everybody's faces.When people need help, i love the fact that my job allowed me to help and be there for everyone.
Pros
discounts on lunch and free lunch on holidays
LICENSED CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER/THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 5, 2019
Great place to work. The staff is a team and act collaboratively together. Anywhere is what you make so bring your positivity and transfer it to others.
Horrible Hospital
Armed Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 31, 2019
Worked security there
The most rudest nurses and doctors Ive ever seen
A ton of bitter people
The ER House Admin is the most nastiest one of them all which makes sense why the ER is so horrible
They disrespected armed security on a daily basis after putting us in dangerous situations and protecting their lives
Ulp
direct information to providers and clinical staff (Current Employee) –  401 east chestnutMarch 20, 2019
A typical day ay ulp includes seeing all patients and scheduling all their diagnostic testing.
I did learn a lot from work here. I have advanced my knowledge in the medical field.
No enought salary or benefits from this organization
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 14, 2019
Organization has lack of good leadership in several areas and did not give raises to some staff members for 12 years as the budgeting was not adequate.
Was a initially a decent place of employment. Great co-workers.
Certified Professional Coder (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 6, 2019
They don't value good employees. I don't really have any additional opinions of ULP at this time. If this isn't enough I don't really care. I am no longer an employee!!
Pros
Big
Cons
No loyalty to their employees.
great place to learn
Staff nurse/ Relief Charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 23, 2019
first job as nurse, loved my co workers and the experience I received here has been invaluable. I encourage anyone who is a nurse and wants to learn and be a part of a team apply and work here.
A place that challenged you daily but in a great way
Emergency Department Patient Access Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 20, 2019
one of the best places I worked.I advanced and was well compensated. The management encourages you to be better because growth opportunities are there. Regret going to Federal employment
Great people
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 18, 2019
Staff is excellent but system is losing money and stretched.Have been through multiple ownerships and leaders as they are still going through multiple changes.
Poor upper level Management
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 13, 2019
Working at UofL is challenging. Some of those challenges are good and some are bad. The patient population is a very sick and this gives you the opportunity to learn and work with some very complicated illnesses. This is what keeps a lot of the staff interested. There is rarely a dull moment. The bad challenges are the poor management of the staff and low pay. First off the pay is lower and this keeps a good number of people away, and it makes others leave for greener pastures once they get some experience. Second the distribution of staff is poorly allocated throughout the hospital. Some units are well staffed and others are not. It is next to impossible to keep nurses on the floors when they are taking large high-acuity teams with little to no ancillary staff. It is far too common to come into an understaffed floor. God forbid you are actually staffed that night. Cause if you are someone is going to another floor or going home to satisfy some staffing grid.
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
pay, staffing, upper management
Constant struggle
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 12, 2019
RNs are constantly being tasked with additional duties despite our incredibly difficult job. We have a difficult patient population, chronic staff shortage, equipment that is often faulty, chronically late meds from pharmacy, difficulty getting MDs to pay attention to our concerns, inexperienced physicians managing patients, and very high acuity patients with a high nurse:patient ratio.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UofL Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.