Upbring Employee Reviews

They Have Games
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 5, 2018
The hard part of working here is you are there to work you can not show or have feelings toward no residents the most enjoyable part was when residents get to go home with their relatives any where in the United States of America.
Pros
have to take your own lunch
Cons
no breaks at all
Great Population
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  New HopeOctober 15, 2018
Its a great population to work with, some of these kids truly deserve a chance to be in the United States.

However, while no job is perfect nothing drains employees motivation and crushes morale like bad management.

Poor to non-existent opportunities for grow. Management will post new jobs on the wall, will interview you, but refuse to hire from within.

I recommend management to provide support for employees when it's genuinely needed.

During daily transition meetings management talk to employees in a very threatening matter when addressing concerns or issues regarding residents; your staff are not the bad guys.

Advice to management and director, a hello to employees in the hallways goes a long way.

Know you will be on call, work weekends, major holidays including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. Also, supervisors will call you to come in on your days off and even vacation.
You are also to attend mandatory trainings especially on your days off.

The shelter is chronically understaffed for long periods of time due to high turnover resulting in one or two 12 hours shifts a week.
At times one has to wait long periods of time to get a bathroom break.

Human Resources is unorganized and asks for personal documents over and over.
Pros
Great coworkers, vacation, population
Cons
Poor upper management, No room to grow
Would be a rewarding place to work if it weren't for management
Direct Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canyon Lake, TXSeptember 5, 2018
This job can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming at times but can also be incredibly rewarding. Unfortunately due to poor management this place has a huge turn over rate. These girls are not getting the proper treatment they need and deserve at least not the majority of them. Although they will tell you that Upbring is not a detention center it at times felt that way.
Pros
Being able to make an impact in some of the girls lives.
Cons
management
Low enrollment of students
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 16, 2017
The teachers at one Upbring school are great, but those who are leading the school are not. Constantly compared to other teachers. Not enough students to be enrolled to support the amount of teachers already on staff. There is no support for teachers. Corporate cares more about getting kids in the door than its staff. It's a brand new school that is having a hard time boosting it's enrollment.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Low enrollment
Amazing Coverage & Passionate Employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
When you get to know your team mates at Upbring, you'll never want to leave. The amount of dedication and passion for serving Texas kids is amazing. Sure it's got it flaws, especially as a 700 person company, but the management seems to be making big, bold moves which is what child care needs. It's encouraging to see, uncomfortable at times, but overall working here makes you want to wake up in the morning. Non-changemakers look elsewhere, this place isn't about the pay...it's about helping children.
Pros
Mission-oriented, relaxed environment, casual dress code, no egos
Cons
Benefits could be a little better
Do Not Work Here
Direct Care (Current Employee) –  Canyon Lake, TXSeptember 19, 2017
They tell you what you want to hear, and it's nothing like what they tell you. You don't know who's in charge of what it changes hourly. Training is a Joke, they tell you you will be working on schedule and then change it as they see fit. They are out of ratio more than on ratio. No structure, or leadership.
Pros
You do get a paycheck
Cons
Too many to list
Very unappreciated. Supervisors lack tact, manners & professionalism. Podition goes to their head.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 6, 2017
Much favoritism & it's always towards lazy & inappropriate, unprofessional staff that gossips, & turn a blind eye to kids misbehavior to avoid reports & be liked by kids & tend to cross the line of professionalism.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Horrible unprofesioal Shift supervisors. Manager is worse. Uprofessional staff not held accountable.
Hard to withstand the negative corporate culture
Finance (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 25, 2017
Good work-life balance, low stress, and relatable company mission. Nice to feel that what you do helps others. However this could not balance out the many negative co-workers, general secrecy and lack of transparency from upper management, and benefits getting worse by the year, especially with the rapidly increasing cost of living in Austin. Was not really surprised that raises and career advancement opportunities were low to non-existent but the company never made an effort to express appreciation for employees in any other ways. If you are not manager you are seen as a necessary evil and that is very telling in the day-to-day negativity and lack of communication to non management about important matters.
I Love Upbring!
Area Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2017
Working in Child Welfare is not for the lazy or the weak. If you have the ability to self start and take in as much training and information as you can this agency may be a great place to retire. The down side is there is not a retirement plan currently in place.

There are sometimes long days, little appreciation for the high stress environment, and the support may not be immediate. Management listens to you and have your back when you need it the most.

I love this organization however, the financial compensation is not enough for the amount of work we do. It is hard to maintain staff in this environment due to the low starting pay.
Challenging but fruitful for future career endevors
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 2, 2017
Upbring is a fast paced and time challenging agency that revolves around the safety of our children in the foster care system. My area director and supervisor ensure to work with me on deadlines and will provide flexibility to ensure that the job gets done. If you are able to handle this line of work you are set to make it anywhere else.
Pros
Great Medical Insurance
Cons
No 401k
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2017
This is a great place to work. The dedication of the staff is unbeliveable! I learned so much from working here. The hardest part of the job is seeing or hearing the stories of those that have been abused, nelegected or gone through a disaster. The most enjoyable part of job is being to able provide services to those that have gone through these unfortunate situations. They really make a difference in the lives of those served.
Pros
Serving others
Cons
n/a
Youth care worker
Youth Care Worker II (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 26, 2017
I love my job I wouldn't change anything I love that we are doing something for these kids . I love that the supervisors acknowledge your help and hard work you've put in for your shift I'm reminded every time im about to leave they greet you with a positive input feedback.
Pros
Free lunch happy enviorment
Cons
Nothing bad about this job I'm hoping I'm here for a long time I love my job
Very nice people to work for.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2017
I'm glad I work here. but its an awful long drive. that's why im looking for another job. I thought I would of retired with them. Very nice working environment.
Proud to work in Upbring
System Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 23, 2017
All staff have the opportunity to develop their communication and problem-solving skills, and work on their confidence and self-reliance.
Providing training to improve your skills and good environment to promote.
Can be fun sometimes.
Direct Care Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Canyon Lake, TXNovember 6, 2016
I work with young girls who have behavioral and traumatized lives. It is very hard maintain a work/at home balance. They constantly need people to feel in shifts due to not ever having enough staff. It is really unorganized at the center due to lack of listening skills between administration and capmus staff. The kids are very hard work but it can be joyful also. They do have a very good recreational program there for the kids that continue to do good and improve.
Excellent mission but horrible employee morale
DCS (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 4, 2016
Upbring doesn't care about employees. They only care about the money they receive for the kids. They overwork and under pay employees. They also don't support their employees. The girls are great to work with you will feel great knowing you are making a difference.
Pros
Making a change in lives and free meals
Cons
Over worked, low pay, company only cares about money
Children were great. However, upper management needed professionalism.
Monitor (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 23, 2016
Gain experience in a variety of backgrounds and cultures from the minors.
On a regular day (vary in shift). Interaction with children during breakfast, lunch and dinner, was a must. Favorite part was that you had the opportunity to encouraged these children to learn a different language, culture and to became the best they can be in a different world.
Food is nasty.
Supervisors do not care for staff nor children.
Pay / benefits were good for the amount of work.
Pros
Free lunch. Pay/ Benefits.
Cons
Supervisors did not care.
Friendly but hectic.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  TXAugust 16, 2016
Works BF at upbring was always hectic. Dealing with CPS was the worst part. Just being a secretary everything anyone doesn't do falls in your lap. It's very hard being a secretary here.
Pros
Friendly energy, good benifits
Cons
30 minute lunches for foster care.
kids are great, management incompetent/out of touch
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  McAllenJune 23, 2016
I really enjoyed working with this population. The kids are great, respectful and very appreciative of anything and everything. You can learn a lot from working with this population. Some shifts have limited to no interaction with the residents while other shifts are able to engage more due to activity levels and resident daily schedule.
Pay is good for the job description and good benefits/great dental.
Management however is clueless and lack pro-activeness; does not have a sense of urgency to provide residents with much needed basic necessities. For example, inventory is done every week but may take minimum 10 days to get inventory and/or replacement items. Management does not "deny" calls but are very passive about informing residents of calls pending. Would be IDEAL place to work if management would increase professionalism, pro-activeness and empathy toward population served. Most of the time direct supervisors are indifferent to children's situations. Hardest part of the job is doing your job to advocate for children and being met with indifference and at times unprofessional demeanor by direct supervisors (shift supervisors). I have not been yelled at but some of my peers have.
The Worst part was shelter never did anything about the caterer that brought food. Problem was hair in food, ants/flies in food, raw chicken and most of the time the milk was spoiled, juice was questionable and containers had mold and smelled like fish.
Pros
benefits/ great population to work with
Cons
Management is indifferent and lacks professionalism/pro-activeness
ever changing, fast paced day full of coding, billing, training, crisis intervention, yet I enjoy every hour of my day.
Medicaid Coordinator/ Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXOctober 18, 2015
I have learned many things at Krause from leadership skills, to how to properly interview a potential employee. My coworkers are great people and at the end of the day we all walk away with smiles. The hardest part of my day is trying to make our CEO understand how hard everyone is working and that fatigue is setting in on moral. Knowing that I contributed in some small way to helping a child, therapist, case worker, or parent is the most rewarding feeling that always brings a smile to my face
Pros
changing a life, Great relationship with direct supervisor.
Cons
fatigue, under appreciated, moral is low in the building

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upbring. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about