UPMC
Coronavirus update

UPMC Employee Reviews

United States2,991 reviews
Found 2,991 reviews matching the search
I enjoy the short time I worked at UPMC Jameson. Everyone worked together and helped each other out. Every day was something different which made the job interesting. They let you select your schedule and then you would get your schedule for 6 weeks. Nice for planning things.
Pros
Scheduling was nice.
Cons
Didn't always get your breaks or relieved on time at the end of the shift.
I was confined to a cubicle, was micromanaged and had no life outside of work. I worked mandatory unscheduled overtime and the nature of the job was stressful.
Productive, management was engaging and respectful of time and issues that came about. Management worked with employees to resolve any of them. Benefits are good. Opportunities for advancement is a plus! Work/life balance was a plus but depended on project timelines and goals.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Could be stressful
I have worked under both good and bad managers both as a PCT and RN under this company. Management is focused on the bottom line and doesn’t care about growing there employees. Recent managers are focused on hiring people with 15+ years of experience so that they don’t have to train the new hires for a long period of time. If they do hire someone new out of nursing school, they keep the new hire on a short orientation and do not provide the necessary steps to help them grow, and then wonder why they don’t flourish. Also, current place has had 50 people leave in the last 5 years of operation, morale is low, and everyone is looking elsewhere or complaining about management.
Pros
Education, coworkers, pay
Cons
Management bottom line, low morale, high turnover
This job is literal garbage. Management at all levels are woefully incompetent and/or uninterested in improving any facet of the workplace. Expect 12 hour days, every day. Expect to be lied to in your interview, about everything. You get one 30 minute break, out of a 12 hour work day. If you're extremely desperate for a job, this will do it, but don't stop looking for something else.
Pros
Cheap health insurance
Cons
The entire job
Very happy with UPMC Homecare and Hospice! The management team is awesome. Advancement opportunities and flexibility. Scheduling is fair and flexible as well.
It was good for the most part can’t say anything really bad about upmc I had work mostly everyday an I would like for my next position an job to do that same as that
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
The coworkers were very disrespectful. There was always an on going battle and when the managers would defuse,the situation my station would get vandalized. I liked my job, l didn't like the petty coworkers.
Pros
Good benefits, pay the hours and managers were great
Cons
Nasty coworkers that need to retire .
Good friends and pay but, lnot worth the stress they, overwork you and don’t care if you’re mentally tired. Management was a complete, and utter joke.
Pros
Good pay for no college degree
Cons
Stressful workload and environment
The people I work with are very nice and helpful I would recommend this employment to anyone! There is many benefits to take advantage of and many people don’t realize how many benefits there are.
Cons
Very unorganized as a department
I really can't say anything positive about this position. Training was very insufficient and if you had any questions, no one would help you. And if you did have help, you were told that it wasn't the correct way and don't listen to that person. You're basically thrown to the wolves. I had previous experience and I wanted part-time, I was told every weekend that I would be working as well as be getting a pretty good pay. I was lied to and only worked every other weekend and had a starting rate of $13.00 per hour (I have 5+ experience with switchboard work). The equipment that I was given didn't fit my ear and they didn't accommodate me whatsoever so I could hardly hear my callers. I wanted to work holidays and told that because I wasn't trained well enough, they weren't comfortable with me taking the shifts (even thought it was the same times I work on the weekends). They would change my schedule without letting me know so either I came in when I wasn't supposed to or get a call saying that I had to come in (I would check the schedule a day before for changes). You also had to feed the creepy IT person that would come down to "visit". With getting berated by doctors as well as managers, I had to walk away because it just wasn't worth it. Beware!
Pros
30 minute lunch, able to use cell phone if it wasn't busy
Cons
Pay, Training, Management
They treated me horribly! I was a CNA/Monitor Tech and I can tell you the 2 week training is not nearly enough for all the stuff you need to know to do the job. It’s very high stress if you’re new to the hospital setting. I’ve been certified for 6 years and they still only paid me starting wage(even though they said they pay based on experience). The charge nurse yells at you in front of everyone instead of telling you privately about where you made a mistake. The surgeon called me an idiot because I told him there was no more beds open on our unit (which there wasn’t). If you work at the Hanover location best of luck. They will take every bit of sunshine out of your personality and make you miserable like them.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Staff is not accepting of new people
Has always been very fast paced environment. I started as casual and traded up every position into full-time quickly and right out of school. As an imaging department we have a full range of outpatient to inpatient services. The schedule is constantly overbooked and a lot of times we barely can keep our heads above water. Management always pushes us to do more with less resources or time. They are very picky about patient volumes. There can be a lot of drama and seems to be that way in every department. Stay out of anything personal at work and do your job half decent and you will get far.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Learning opportunities, advancement
Cons
Stressful, average pay, impersonal, money hungry
I thought Upmc was a great company until I started working for the lab. First couple of weeks were fine everyone liked you, but they are all back stabbing b*****, they will bully you until you don’t want to come to work anymore even your own supervisor will bully you!! Go to higher up’s they put on a show like they care but they don’t! You are extremely short staffed, due to the fact that they can’t keep anyone!
Pros
Cons
Everything don’t work here
The manager fired me citing job abandonment and then abandoned his own position. I was used as a scapegoat, and they blocked my unemployment after doing me dirty. I wasn't allowed to use my pto, I was told to punch that I got a lunch when I didn't, which was often.

The pharmacists make fun of the technicians, and you have to pass through a row of them to get to your locker/breakroom. They abuse the "teams" app to get extra work out of you illegally, and there's nothing you can do about it, basically keeping you on call 24/7, but not with compensation. It's a clever workaround. They'll even lie to you to get you to come in early so that they can all have a cake walk while you work your tail off. Management is nowhere to be found.

Training is hot garbage, they like to see new people struggle and fail. The pharmacists all shop on their computers and then whine about answering the phone. The shift report is just the pharmacists talking about how awesome eachother is so they look good to a manager who is never around. Shady company!
Pros
Entertaining in a dark comedy sort of way.
Cons
Being an employee
I thought joining UPMC was a great career choice but it ended up being the worst job I've ever had. Constant fighting and bullying in the lab.. your manager can't really do anything to help you when she's part of the problem. If you go above her head, superiors act like they care but you might as well be talking to a wall.
Pros
Finding another job.
Cons
The people, the pay, the benefits, the mandations.. the turnover is insane.
Working for Upmc was amazing, I love what I do. I loved interacting with patients & cleaning each room to maximum cleanliness. Working for Upmc was like a breath of fresh air. The cultural balance was wonderful so many different cultures in one job experience.
Poor Management, no overtime, work load to heavy, poor wage increase, Management doesn't care about its employees and can be to strict at times. Management also plays favorites.
UPMC is a great place to work. The company promotes working as a team and is inclusive of all staff. UPMC consistently reflects on the performance of their staff, which helps to improve areas of weakness.
UPMC preaches employee dignity and respect. Yet when it happens management does not support this rule. My experience at UPMC became so negative that I couldn’t concentrate on good care for the patients.
JCC dietary dept. is not a healthy workplace. This entire department needs restructuring, total mess. The pay is good but it's not worth the headache.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPMC. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.