UPMC

UPMC Employee Reviews

United States4,078 reviews

Found 4,078 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,115 reviews

Would not return

I worked with many amazing therapists and appreciate that UPMC values evidence based care - no gimmicks like I often see smaller companies advertising. However, at the end of the day, the salaries are far too low and productivity way too high to be able to sustain a career here. Perhaps even more problematic than the low salaries is that when they do raise salaries, they tend to increase starting rates for new grads substantially while only offering very minor increases to existing staff. As a result, both new and experienced therapists make similar salaries.

Horrible company I worked there for 15years ....... horrible

Bad mangagement broken management these people are the worst please see my exit interview I am sure there are knowlageable managers within UPMC, however, have not met any

Pros

there is no pros

Cons

Again, no pros

UPMC insights

Based on 2,086 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Great experience, but not a good place to stay long.

I spent over 2 years working for the major level 1 trauma hospital. We were constantly understaffed and the lowest paying system in the area. The benefits weren't great and parking was expensive. Short staffing created a dangerous environment for patients and employees. Employees would get injured from the lack of assistance. Patients were not receiving the level of care they deserved from the radiology department due to short staffing.

The work was ok

The actual work was great the place and people not so much. I did enjoy my work there and the patients. I ended up leaving because of the manager and the other employees in the office they were not so nice.

Flexible and fast paced

I overall love working at UPMC Hamot. The staff are mostly friendly and I enjoy what I do. They’re really flexible with your schedule and understanding if you have to take time off. You also get free parking as an employee. There is always room for advancement and promotions. They give bonus pay once in awhile and you get a yearly raise. They could pay a little better, but other than that I’m pleased with where I work!

Pros

Flexible, friendly atmosphere, free parking, benefits, advancement, bonus pay

Cons

Low pay, long shifts, short breaks, busy

Regular work environment

If your looking for a entry level position this is it… they give you more work and not compensate you enough… the raises are ridiculous even though we get a couple throughout the year

Department dependent

As with any large company, your experience will vary greatly depending on which department you work for. Pay is not the greatest but competitive for the stress level and expectations.

Pros

Wfh, pay decent, flexible schedule.

Cons

healthcare not the best which is strange given that it is a healthcare company.

Good company depending on the department/team you are on.

UPMC is a good place to work depending on what team and/or department you join. Benefits are good and pay is fair for many people but these plusses are outweighed by being on a team that is toxic and working for people who really don't care about quality of the work or only care about staff who are their personal friends.

Pros

Work from home; good pay/benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment; no work/life balance.

Productive and fun workplace with a Ping Ping table

I love the staff and the management and their pets. I also love when we hang out outside of work and talk about our personal lives. UPMC is so wonderful.

Micromanaging, underpaying, belittling, degrading, and creepy

If you work in admin be prepared to be micromanaged to insanity. Your upper management are untrustworthy and inconsistent with their values. Your upper management will blame you for their own mistakes and then you will be even more tightly micromanaged to save their own bum. They talk to us like we’re unintelligent people who cannot do our job, yet they pile on the work for us and then toss us their own work to do while they sit twiddling their thumbs belittling and judging what we do. They union bust. Higher management make workplace culture and morale so horrible and negative. The will try to tear you down if you resign and try to take a job outside of upmc. It is a nightmare. Do not work at upmc.

Good

Not too bad place to work. It’s a typical corporation type gig. Pay could be better, benefits could be better, management could be better but overall not too bad.

Ok

Upmc is ok to work for. Good job protection and time off during Covid if you got sick. Horrible management that doesn’t have your back. Pay is much, much lower than hospital systems.

Fine place to start out

Working here is a good way to get into Healthcare, but not a long term home. UPMC is too large for their own good, constantly asking more of employees while offering very little in return. Do your time, learn the inner workings of the industry, and move on!

Pros

Earn PTO while you work, usually newer equipment available for use

Cons

Given a script to follow for conversations with visitors and patients, unrealistic job expectations, management is out of touch, union busting.

Extremely busy

Extremely busy and we are basically sitting ducks and we are constantly being yelled at and disrespected and are never protected by anyone management also blocks you from transferring because they can’t keep any staff upmc east is the worst hospital to work at pick another hospital or you will regret taking the job

Flexible

To work for UPMC as a whole is great. Once you find your fit. That’s the great thing about UPMC. When you start in a position that doesn’t mean your stuck there, you can move around the system and find what fits you best and they actually like that. UPMC wants you to be happy in your position. Their benefits are great and they want you to succeed.

Pay was fine. Other than that it sucked

Management sucked. Great team members and good friends made. OT pay was nice when it was available. Lots of walking and had to be on go go go 24/7 or you got yelled at

Security, room for advancement, department politics, culture

I can say this company has made a positive impact on my life, but I believe COVID and the job market has particularly diminished the working atmosphere due to staffing shortages. UPMC does not pay the best, but if you take advantage of tuition reimbursement and the 403b plan, you can really make something of yourself by sticking with the company. Pluses are job security, academic medical center, lots of resources. Minuses are lots of politics at middle/senior management level that hinder operations, poor merit increases for superior performers.

Look Elsewhere

I’ve worked for UPMC on two separate occasions and after leaving each time I’ve said I will not return. Unfortunately they have a monopoly on the job market in the area. As a mid-level provider I had zero support from the clinical staff or my manager. I brought concerns to my manager multiple times and was all but ignored. If it wasn’t for my supervising physicians who were great I wouldn’t have lasted as long as I did.Unless your desperate I would look elsewhere!

Such a great work culture with a supporting team!

Everyone on the team is extremely helpful and will often extend their time and energy if help is needed. Managers do their best to help you succeed and achieve your goals.

Pros

remote position

Cons

workload can be overwhelming

Nope

With my position you can work from home. IF you live within a certain distance (an hour or less). Benefits are not top tier. With being the largest employer in the state, people think that their employees have THE BEST insurance. Not even close compared other local employers. Upper management is unaware of the reality of what they pay their staff. Yearly raises do not compare to increases in co-pays, etc. Yearly evaluations are "copy/paste" from one employee's eval to the next.

Pros

Working from home

Cons

Insurance; pay raises; incompetent mid-managers/supervisors

Good

Decent place to work though pay could be better as well as benefits. New hire process is great. Support in the system is good. Workload is a bit unrealistic to be considered productive and could lead to burnout.

Pros

Support for new providers is good

Cons

Workload is a bit unrealistic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPMC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare UPMC with

UPMC reviews by popular job title

• UPMC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?