UPMC Employee Reviews

fast paced ICU
Senior Professional Staff Nurse CTICU (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 17, 2018
Very busy, acutely ill patients. Strong group of senior nurses. Great manager and Clinician. Hands down best group of CCMs and CRNPs. Cafeteria not good!!
Pros
self scheduling
Great Place
Gift Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 17, 2018
this company is great and there are plenty of opportunities especially if you live in Pittsburgh. Children's Hospital is especially wonderful in culture.
A good place to work but scheduling stinks
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Childrens HospitalApril 16, 2018
They are very helpful but they change your work schedule constantly and expect you to be available to them 24/7 365. If you don't the fire you without much explanation.
Great co-workers
Sanitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 15, 2018
-As a PCT, I work in many different floor in the hospital.
-Many patients have great deal of difficultly getting up on their own, helping them use the toilet, getting dressed, bathing, eating, or small things like combing their hair.
-Most important thing is talking to the patient while you are doing your work.
-I document and chart everything I do either on paper or in the system.
-I take vital signs- such as blood pressure, temperature, pulse, heart rate, and even daily weights at times. Drain foleys and Jackson Pratts.
-Report to a NR if any changes in the patient.
-Give report to on-coming shift.
-On downtime I do light housekeeping, stock kitchens, patient supplies, and get new admit rooms ready.
Cons
paid hoildays
Good work culture, poorly paid, no room for professional or income growth.
Milieu Therapist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2018
I would sit in the hallway and open bathroom doors for consumers. It was a very power/over job culture where your opinion was overlooked. Also, the pay was poor and there was no room for growth. Professionally, there were very limited options for my field specifically.
Pros
Paid Time Off was earned and utilized when needed.
Cons
Poor pay and no room for growth professionally or income based.
fast paced
Patient care technicians/nurse assistants (Current Employee) –  Seneca, PAApril 12, 2018
I work in the ER of the hospital and it is always fast paced and exciting. The staff are friendly and pleasant to work with. The doctors are very knowledgeable.
Pros
plenty of room to work with your schedule
Cons
no real set schedules
upmc was a nice place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15232April 12, 2018
I liked upmc I just did not want to do housekeeping for the rest of my life when my love is phlebotomy and I am a graduated medical assistant so that is the field I wanted to be in
Pros
the hours
Cons
the traveling
My day at UPMC
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 10, 2018
A typical day at UPMC was sometimes busy and uneventful. i loved my co workers and staff we worked well together. they most challenging part of my job was the office to office traveling. the patient care was the most enjoyable part.
Senior Professional Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 10, 2018
worked a typical 12 hour shift on a medical surgical floor. Worked there for 19 years. had to change positions due to child care issues. Would work for them again.
A lot of good people work there.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Presby Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2018
A typical day busy. You learn a lot of new and hospital applications. Management sometimes difficult. Workplace culture was medical. You worked with good people so that was enjoyable.
Pros
Medical which was very interesting.
Cons
Could care less about employees
RN Supervisor (Current Employee) –  PresbyApril 8, 2018
Don't care about employees - care about making money that's it - asked to do unethical things in order for better profits .......... horrible management
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
Give or take employees
Nursing is nursing. Good place to work
Professional Staff Nurse - Surgical PCU (Current Employee) –  McCandless, PAApril 3, 2018
For a new nurse, any unit is going to be tough. The current manager is changing things, but as of now there is rotating shifts (can flip days and nights in the same week). Doctors aren't always readily available, but they have a code team if need be. Ratio 4:1 or 5:1 on PCU. Good teamwork, a lot of quality initiatives. Management is always trying to make things better - for both staff and patients.
Pros
My particular unit and hospital cares a lot about quality of care, they encourage you to take a lunch break, good teamwork/group of employees on my unit, management is flexible and willing to make changes
Cons
lots of turn over, too many audits, lots of tasks and everything falls back on the nurse.
Great Environment and staff
Patient care technician/ Nurse's Aide/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 3, 2018
I was a nurses aid, one of the most thankless jobs around. I enjoyed my time there because of the patients appreciation of the extra efforts to make them comfortable. I enjoyed the fellow staff, many on their way to become Nurses and Doctors. The benefit packages were great and I was really glad I was able to step right into a position. Had the compensation been a bit more reasonable I may have stayed.
Pros
Co-Workers, Patients
Cons
Compensation, long hours
a lot of changes and unsure how they will affect my town long term. hoping that in time things will get better overall
Supportive Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAApril 3, 2018
My department is managed by a contracted company not associated with UPMC. This company was in place by the time UPMC came into the picture. The current director doesn't have the knowledge or experience in the field of patient contact. This company typically manages Housekeeping departments. He seems to be a bit of a narcissist because he is continuously posting an inaccurate or misleading schedule and refuses to allow anyone else make the schedule, regardless if they would be sure to have adequate staffing. He is not open to any suggestions that would better the department because they are not his ideas. When new people are hired, they aren't given the proper training or adequate training, thus leading to a lot of unnecessary mistakes, or dismissals of certain job duties that they are unaware of. Some staff that are being hired by this director are associated in some way with a current manager or employee of his company. My department used to be held in high regard for many years due to the magnitude of the assistance we provided. Now, we are looked down upon by many new, and some old, because most of the people being hired don't truly know all of their job functions and it appears that the department is in disarray. One bad apple DOES spoil the whole bunch in this case.
Pros
many seasoned employees still in place and keeps the mood and attitude good
Cons
everyone is basically on some sort of technology and wifi is unreliable
Very good experience
Lab Tech/Assistant (Phlebotomist) (Current Employee) –  Greenville, PAApril 2, 2018
Very good work experience- management is good-- typical days are fast paced and pleasant. I enjoy working with my co-workers and interacting with patients.
stressful and hectic
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2018
High turnover rate in research, difficult and stressful work environment. Not supported by administration although they may in their opinion. Morale is low and that feeds the high turnover rate.
Great placeto start off learn insurance billing
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2018
Great place to learn many types of insurance billing. Many accounts are biled. Raises are low or not given. Parking cost is high. Supervisors were fair to employees helpful.
Financial Counselor and Registration
Patient Business/Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2018
Patient Access provides system wide oversight for access services provided at Facility, overseeing the delivery of services that facilitate patient access to the Medical Center; financially securing patient care prior to or at time of care, avoid bad debt related to unauthorized hospitalizations or procedures, un-sponsored care or incorrect patient payer or demographic data, and enhance patient / family and physician / provider satisfaction with access services. Patient Access will work with executive leadership, clinical directors, and physicians to identify capacity issues that create barriers to patient flow. Patient Access also interfaces with external entities such as third-party payers, regulatory agencies, other health care institutions, vendors, patients, and families. Patient Access will assure hospital compliance with Advanced Beneficiary Notification (ABN), Medicare as a Secondary Payer Questionnaires (MSPQ), Advanced Directives, Patient Bill of Rights, medical necessity, observation status and other regulatory guidelines. Patient Access leads the organization in a manner that is patient-centered and respectful of all other customers and stakeholders. This position will work in collaboration with the PFS Director, Director of IT, Director of Case Management, and the Director of HIMS, and various clinic leaders within the Ambulatory Care and Clinical Services departments. This position will have as direct reports the following operational areas of the revenue cycle, including: Patient Admitting, Registration, and Pre-Admissions/Registration.
Pros
high standards
Cons
wanted to attend more meetings/classes but could not due to full time job
Bad experience
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAApril 1, 2018
Hardest part of job was never the patient or their families, it was dealing with your coworkers. Too much friendship between management and floor nurses and close buddy/buddy issues. Learned a great deal from my preceptor, just wish I had the chance to use it.
Benefits
Cons
work environment
Caring Staff in the Cancer Center
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAMarch 31, 2018
Volunteer work in the cancer center is more meaningful as the staff utilize and value their volunteers. Volunteer work in the emergency room feels more distant and not as integrated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPMC. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

77out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UPMC.