UPMC logo

UPMC Employee Reviews

UPMC insights

Based on 1,152 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Work-Life Balance

Found 3,722 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,757 reviews

Productive workplace

Working at UPMC has brought great things to my future. They provide tutiton reimbursement, career advancement, 401 k plan, etc. They offer incentives to pick up overtime sometimes.

Horrible pay, great staff

Co-workers are absolutely wonderful however pay is dreadful. This is a good hospital to get your feet wet but nurses can get paid much more elsewhere.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Pay

Large company

Pay is not great. Job satisfaction and room to grow and advance within the company. Lots of available jobs so if you don't like your current position very easy to switch to another location.

Manager is extremely caring and receptive

I'm PRN, so I'm not there as often as someone who is full time, but I was fortunate enough when I first started to be able to pick up a decent bit of hours. My manager is phenomenal, extremely caring and always willing to hear people out. the only thing I would change right now is the training process. I feel like they tend to gloss over things quickly then set you free on your own, which can be nerve-inducing when you work with insurance.

Pros

great management

Cons

not many hours to pick up, training

Not a bad place to work

Overall, it's a satisfying experience. However, it is such a huge company and growing constantly that sometimes you feel like you're just a number. I like the people I work with, so that helps.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Terrible management

Upmc is just about the money. They don't care about their employees or their health. The management is terrible and so is the pay

Not worth it

Worked during a pandemic and they did not have any support for the employees. There was a bonus for a few weeks but they kept changing the rules about the bonus and not giving it to you.

Disappointing company to work for

UPMC pay seems really great until you see the amount of work involved and expectations. UPMC is very clearly all about making a profit with very little regards to their patients or staff. They expect exceptional care but don't provide the means to deliver exceptional care. Benefits are average compared to other major organizations. Orientation is rushed and disorganized. Expect to take your work home with you in order to keep up with the demand. Management is poor. Overall, a genuinely disappointing experience.

Pros

Salary and bonuses

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent, >40hour work days, orientation, suboptimal patient care, management

Lots of sitting around

In a typical day of work here you will be sitting down at a table and ripping old files for 8 straight hours with a 30 minute break. very simple but boring. Manager allows you to watch shows/ listen to music while doing work to keep us from insanity.

Pros

easy

Cons

boring

Overworked/staffing issues.

Staffing is always an issue and there is not enough staff to keep up with high volume of patients. There is no such thing as a lunch break because even if you get a chance to sit and eat you are answering phones or helping with a patient lift in between trying to eat. They expect you to work on your days off as if you don't need a mental break away from the place. It is completely awful and management doesn't seem to care and it shows.

Pros

Great learning experience.

Cons

No lunch breaks/more staff for high volume of patients.

Jobs at UPMC

See more jobs

There's nothing good about working here

.It's a very bad place to find yourself, there's very few professional at Mercy, they have a abundance of clicks throughout the departments and HR, and they collectively work together to railroad you outta your job if you don't fit into one of the clicks. The nurses are questionable and don't do a good job, to busy outside smoking or relaxing in the nurses station while patients die. I have walked away from this job to get the stressful environment behind me. If you are a decent person UPMC may not be the place for you. I contacted an attorney and his advised me to leave because UPMC is the largest but worst company to work for in PA, he was right and I left. It's been a week and I already have a New job, leaving was the best thing I could have done.

Pros

Benefits package

Cons

The whole business is a joke, and people's lives are at stake

Great organization, wish they paid more

Work-life balance is great, and the people I work with are first-class. I have no doubt about the organization's commitment towards their patients, members, and the community. Unfortunately the salary is not really competitive in my field - I could go to a startup and make significantly more. This leads to high turnover in my department which can be demoralizing. The best place to show "employee appreciation" is to pay market wages. YMMV - varies by department.

work in a team of 2

Things happen. Without a 2nd set of eyes, some people speak untruths. Nursing staff is great, responsive. CNAs work hard, best skilled nursing facility I've ever worked in.

Great Management, Poorly Organized Corporation

Great Company Overall. Decent pay. Great voluntary and company benefits with (ironically) semi-decent insurance, fantastic Supervising team that are caring and helpful, Poorly structured work flow balance. If you are not accustomed to high call volumes, I would consider other opportunities, but if you like helping others and a fast pace workplace environment then I would definitely consider applying.

Pros

Work from Home Options

Cons

Unbalanced Work Flow

letdown

Not a place for the older workforce. The culture with the younger nurses is to clean house and find any reason to remove older nurses. I thougt I was starting to fit in, then I was let go.

Overall decent place to work

Pros: Employee benefits are decent, good work-life balance, some opportunity for professional growthCons: Low financial compensation, require additional projects to get an annual raise, frequent pulling to other units with high staff turnover

Used to enjoy it, but 🤷‍♀️.

Super short staffed. Everyone leaves. I do love my coworkers and my patients, and you do learn a lot. There is just not a whole lot of room for advancement.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Unsafe staffing ratios, no work/life balance, expensive parking

It's okay

Company is decent, but management has no technical experience and refuses to learn. Turnover rate among new hires is high, while the old guard insists on gatekeeping everything.

Pros

Nurses week was great

Cons

Toxic culture of being proud of ignorance

Overall it is a good place to work and grow up ur career and skills. Lots of room for career growth. Management could be better and more focused on staff concerns.

Toxic work environment

I wanted this job to help make a difference for people with diagnosed mental health disorders. However, I was treated very poorly by coworkers and management, and never felt safe on my unit. I brought up issues with management multiple times, to which they ignored. Patients are not given quality care and are often looked at as just another body to pump medications into. Horrible, toxic environment. I would not recommend.

Cons

bad pay, toxic work environment

It's a good place to work, but most non clinical job advancement is tough if you don't live in the city. I thought the benefits were really good, but the pay isn't that great. Anyone newer than you probably makes more than you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPMC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1K
1.1K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UPMC.
Powered byComparably