UPMC Employee Reviews

Unorganized. Office drama.
Patient Information Coordinator/Floater Pool (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 19, 2018
I enjoyed contacting insurance companies, non-profit organizations and pharmaceutical corporations to make sure the patients had what they need for their care. I did not like my office manager giving additional task that was her responsibility because she was too busy. I did not like the office drama and the meanness of co-workers.
Pros
helping patients
Cons
office drama
Temp job
Patient Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Verona, PASeptember 18, 2018
I didn't work for UPMC very long, it was a temporary job until I could get something more in my field. I worked at a family practice, and while the hours were nice, UPMC's chronic understaffing problems were evident.
Overall
Advanced Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2018
This place is so large and hectic that the left hand does not know what the right is doing half the time. You have to pay for parking and its required to work rotating shifts
Cons
have to pay for parking
Stressful
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2018
If you didn't have stress, you didn't have a job there. The stress levels are very unhealthy especially being this is a health insurance company. Keeping up with expectations was way too much.
Summer Associate
Finance and Accounting Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2018
Get put into distinctive silos where some people flourish and others flounder. Nice enough people to work with but seems like everyone on the corporate side of things feels stuck.
stressful job
Receptionist/Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2018
working as a telephone operator was stressful to say the least especially when a hospital emergency (code) arises which was one of the hardest parts of the job or when a surgeon makes demanding requests of you and wants it done ASAP it can become very frustrating .also you're on call 24/7 which really takes some getting used to.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
on -call
transportation dept is poorly manged
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2018
Upmc as whole is a 50/50 company to work for. they don't stand by there dignity and respect guidelines at all and its everyone for themselves. all I can say is the director of patient transport in presby and the administrative coordinator need fired. the whole dept is a mess because of them if it was for are directors nasty way she talks to people and how she changes rules we wouldn't have such a horrible reputation in the hospital. and they fire u for anything
Pros
great pay
Cons
rotating schedules etc
Good learning experience and introduction to the field
Sterile Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2018
Working at UPMC was without a doubt a great learning experience overall, and served as a good indication as to what working in a hospital environment would be like. The job proved difficult at times, but the staff was more than accommodating to teach.
Everyday is something new
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2018
I really like that everyday is something new. I like that I'm apart of medical advances and changes to healthcare overall. The hardest part, navigating the political red tape or finding resources. The organization is so large its easy to get "lost".
Pros
Great benefits, get healthcare providers, leaders in innovation
Cons
too large, limited leadership opportunites unless you have a "connection"
Fast-paced environment
Underwriter I (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2018
A typical day at work is mostly spent pulling data through various databases and evaluating the risk of the companies we insure. We use excel extensively and I've definitely enhanced my skills in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Access. The hardest part about this job is meeting deadlines due to needy clients, account managers, and salespeople. It is a fun place to work, which also makes it hard to focus on daily basis, so I end up taking half of my work home every night unfortunately. Therefore, I would say work-life-balance is not ideal.
Pros
Perks and Benefits
Cons
Work life balance is not ideal
Beautiful learning experience
Food Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Verona, PASeptember 5, 2018
I loved working at UPMC Seneca Manor, which was a assistant living home. I engaged and served the elderly food every meal, I never had a problem with a client.
Great place to work.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Greenville, PASeptember 4, 2018
Over all very nice. Most employees are very friendly. Every day is a new day full of challenges and new things to deal with. Only down side is that the patient count is low and I don't always get my 40 hours a week.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Hours being cut.
Work, work work
Radiographic Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PASeptember 4, 2018
The hospital did not offer their employees anything for free, Strongly focusing on providing patient care but my coworkers were wonderful and made the place feel like home
Fun, professional atmosphere
Float Pool RN (Current Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 3, 2018
Professional working environment with plenty of opportunities for career advancement, especially with the nurse leader residency program. UPMC also offers tuition reimbursement and scholarship opportunities as well.
Upmc
Endoscopy Technician/Scope Champion (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2018
Upmc is a massive company the seems to indeed be part of the community. It is growing very fast and it it is bringing lots of great attention the community by being big and flashy...The way of the world seems to be big and flashy wins... They are priding themselves on innovation for health care....I think that they will win in doing this....I hope they remember to take car e of those that help them build....From the bottom to the top....Every person matters
Heavy workload for two busy directors.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2018
Very fast paced and somewhat stressful. Many challenges in trying to please superiors. Consistent raises following annual performance reviews showing ability to handle job demands.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Somewhat stressful at times.
Neuroscience Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 2, 2018
Very nice place to work, friendly doctors and nurses and aides. Everyone works as a team Needs more staff so the work load can be easier on the employees. Always obertime available. They love people that want to work.
Pros
Team Structured
Cons
Parking and paying for lunch
Enjoyed working with so many intelligent,and dedicated people
Lead Technician/Time keeper Payroll (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 2, 2018
UPMC was a very good employer for me. The culture there was all about taking care of patients. My job there often was a very educational experience for me. At the end of the day, I would work for them again. Highly recommend to anyone.
Pros
Many
Cons
A few
The team you're on makes UPMC a great place to work
HR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 1, 2018
Great benefits - multiple medical plans to choose from.
PTO is exceptional.
403b match is solid.
Non-clinical staff allowed to work from home regularly.
If I could rate it zero I would
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  PGH, PAAugust 31, 2018
n/aaaaa not worth the time spent , very disloyal to employees, not interested in promoting from within, not interested in other skills their employees could have, not interested period

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPMC. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.6Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight