Upper Iowa University Employee Reviews

After 8 years
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAApril 23, 2019
One thing about working here is that things change a lot, whether it is restructuring, people leaving, new positions being created, and I don't feel like management is transparent enough about the many changes that take place.
Current leaders that are in place do not do a good job of leading.
Pros
Paid Christmas break which ranges from 8 to 10 days
Cons
Low percentage of retirement contribution and no raises in several years.
Enjoyed going to college at UIU
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 7, 2019
I was a student at UIU and enjoyed my experience there, I listed this as a place holder on my resume to show that I was going to school during this employment gap.
Pros
Get a degree in a shorter period of time
Cons
Alot of homework due to accelerated courses
Lack of advancement
Data Exchange/ Data Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAMarch 2, 2019
Supervisor was not willing to teach new skills and micromanaged every detail of every task. Supervisor was very rude, demeaning and mean to employees.
easy
employee worker (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAFebruary 28, 2019
i do not recomens being a custodian here because of management. there os no advancement and they do not listen to the people who actualy do the work. In there eyes management is always right and the employee is wrong. lots and lots of turn over with no clear person in charge. it comes all the way from the top and custodians dont mean anything.
Pros
some benifits
Cons
managment
Terrible Management with No Opportunity to Grow
Records Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAJanuary 30, 2019
This is not a place you would want to work because there is no opportunity to advance as well as you are treated very poorly. Not many people would talk to you and you would be treated like an outsider until a new person got hired.
Uiu
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  FayetteJanuary 21, 2019
Good place to work. Great culture. Management varies in each department. Great benefits. Job involves national travel. It is fairly enjoyable, but you work in a remote location, which is a negative for me.
Great Institution to work for
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 5, 2018
Workplace culture is practical as well as faculty and student focused. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with my students in attaining their personal and career goals.
Pros
Supportive administration
Work Study Job
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAOctober 22, 2018
The people were great and the job was awesome but as a work study student I didn't think the pay was enough and you were paid once a month. you were paid $8/hr, i guess for a small town in Iowa it was a decent hourly rate
Loyal
Online adjunct instructor (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAOctober 1, 2018
Loyal employer that provides support when needed and leaves you alone if you are working well on your own. As with most adjunct employers, pay can be small and contract is unreliable. However, most semesters have made.
Great people to work with
Communications and Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAOctober 1, 2018
Upper Iowa University is a fantastic place to work. There is always something to work on, the culture is easy-going and fun to work in. The benefits are good and the management is always looking to improve for their employees.
Poorly managed
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 31, 2018
Family owned private university. Hard work means nothing, but laughing and smiling when the boss is around is everything. They don't want the truth, just what they want to hear.
Would not work there
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  IowaAugust 18, 2018
They are back stabing and out the blame on others - no cross training and bad management from the top down. They take adnavtage of others willing to work
Dead end, no pay structure bullies at the top
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAAugust 8, 2018
Employees are heavily micromanaged from the very top tier of leadership. VPs and above are the main problem with high turnover, they are bullies and will throw their own managers under the bus at the drop of a hat. Be prepared to be blamed for their mistakes while they take kudos for your work. It is a very unpleasant and unfriendly culture all the way down to the bottom. Rating is 1 star but if possible, I would rate it as neg 5. Take a job here, you will be working on getting another in no time.
Cons
Don't expect a pay raise. Creating new positions with low pay when existing staff could do the work.
Very friendly place to work at
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAMay 18, 2018
Working account payable is not as stressful as people might opt ait to be. My work typically consisted of entering data into the system, management of the invoices and receipts. The work environment was very friendly and co-operative.
Great jobs for students
Circulation Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAMay 7, 2018
I had worked here while I was student and loved every minute. Upper Iowa provided great work environments and were very flexible with hours. They made school the priority which I had loved.
Work Study in Student Activities
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Fayette, IAApril 30, 2018
I was only a work study at UIU. I had very flexible hours and usually I had a lot of things to accomplish. For example I helped to market events on campus and encourage people to go to the campus or off campus events. Also, helped creating Snapchat filters for the school carnival. I really enjoyed being a work study up there. This job improved my communication skills and helped me establish myself more as a person.
Excellent
ONLINE INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Fayette Iowa onlineApril 11, 2018
There is nothing negative I can say only positive things. This is why I am still employed with them they have been very good to me. They put me through a training program to ensure I was fully prepared to teach at their university.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoy the students I work with. They are non-traditional students and are willing to learn. They readily participate in class and bring "real life" experiences to the class.
Pros
Comfortable environment
Cons
Long class time
Great Part Time Income
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMarch 8, 2018
Teaching at UIU has been an awesome experience, I get to interact with adult learners like myself. The administrative staff is extremely helpful with guiding the student towards their desired degree
Pros
Flexible class schedule
Cons
A rural area so can be a challenge to get to know people
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Fayette, IAMarch 2, 2018
There is always some that can't quite cut it in the roles they are assigned, no matter where they work. As long as one understands whats expected, you can feel safe and have a long rewarding career here. Many go out of their way to find a way to retain good people. It can be a stressful job at certain times, but once you get past that it's a pretty cool place to be. Most people are friendly and willing to help a person reach their goals. Due to the surroundings of a rural community it can be difficult to find and keep quality employees. That is one good reason for the great benefits and "fun time atmosphere".
Pros
Benefits, team work, fun summer atmosphere, helping young people learn and grow
Cons
Pay is somewhat low