Upper Iowa University

Upper Iowa University Employee Reviews

United States103 reviews
I was an assistant at Upper Iowa for one season while I was still a student at the university. It was a fun atmosphere and it was a great way to get introduced to college coaching.
I loved to work for Upper Iowa University because of the community and staff support. People are always willing to help you with anything that is needed.
People are very nice at UIU. Working has no pressure. Full time employees have a lot of vocation, sick leave and long winter break. The pay is low. UIU has high turnover rate.
There are always people there to help you with all aspects of your job, as well as teaching resources available. Other instructors share their curriculum with you to give you ideas when you are designing your course
Friendly environment, productive and fun place to work in. I personally learn a lot from my employer and I think that he a good employer who would most likely share his experience.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The staff are very supportive of adjunct faculty and always willing to go the extra mile. I am fortunate to be instructing for the University.

They have a strong
While UIU is an excellent college and offers the flexibility for students, the ability of staff to work effectively is limited by an unsupportive staff which were not there to offer guidance and assistance. I highly recommend the university for students, not so much for employees.
I teach online social work classes and complete grading on my own time with the goal of having all weekly grades posted by Thursday of the academic week. The staff are very supportive and work diligently to make sure that all my needs are met to ensure that my class supersedes UIU expectations for student academic success.
Pros
Set my own schedule.
Cons
None.
Working as a resident assistant at Upper Iowa University has given me many experiences that will help me in my future career after undergraduate school.
Great organization! They offer amazing benefits but salary is a little low; especially with all of the responsibilities. They provide the training and support needed to complete your job.
I enjoyed the flexibility, working remotely, working with good people and students, various meetings seeing student excel in life. A typical work place, management was cool, workplace culture was diversity.
Overall the workplace was fantastic and fun, the employees were very friendly and hardworking. So I would conclude by saying the work experience was fanstastic
This place is great for adjunct faculty. They promote individualism and collaboration. They are easy to work with. Faculty and staff are wonderful. Great team!
I would get to work and check my workorders it would tell me what to do for that day, I cleaned the building that I was assigned and did extra even if time did not allow extra. My fellow employees were great, there is little to know communication between management and other shift so I was guessing on what I was doing the last six months I was there. Management runs everything by a book, it tells them how long things will take to clean even though that is not reality, management does not listen to the feedback of employees they just want it done faster. I really enjoyed getting to know the students and staff that’s why I showed up everyday. I did what I could for them even though management disapproved. It was not always like this, at one time it was fun and a pleasant place to work but then they got new management, I feel there is no future for anyone here as long as they have the people in charge that they do now,, just look at the turn over and how many new students they have gotten over the last 3 years.it want down at least 50 percent in the last 6 years and the only thing that hasn’t changed is the person in charge.
Pros
The benefits, students, athletics
Cons
Pore management
I enjoyed the students but not the people I worked with.

Made for a poor experience. I would have stayed longer if the colleagues did not have such poor personalities.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Disgruntled co-workers
I won an a award as a great teacher at the university months after I learned that the administrator was not going to have me teach there any more. Administrators don't communicate with adjunct instructors. They make you work without pay, and don't tell the instructor that they won't hire him or her. If you're an adjunct instructor, the administrators treat you less than dirt. No professional respect did they give me after ten years of teaching for Upper Iowa University. I'm surprised it's still accredited.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Irresponsible administrators who never tell you if you will have a class.
After instructing there for over 10+ years and topping out for an instructor with my tenure, a new director refused to continue to allow my instructing endeavors. Rather they hired junior instructors rather than
seasoned instructors.
I enjoy teaching with them and working with the main campus. I look forward to continuing to work for them. I love teaching on college level and seeing my students faces light up when them learn something new.
The top management won't give raises to deserving people. They will just hire new people with the raise you wanted instead. Other managers don't have a clue to what they are doing and just make things up as the day goes on with NO consistency.
Pros
Free College after 1 year
Cons
Pay
The staff are very helpful. Good working enviroment. Good benefit. The teaching requirement is appropriate. Good oversight and greater demand for accountability. Great job in curriculum design.will recommend to potential faculty.
Too much top down management pressure. The students are great and committed to their programs. However, management does not always realize what the student academic needs are.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upper Iowa University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight