Upper Manhattan Mental Health Center, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and a great start for social work practitioners
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2018
It's a small center however, you will receive great supervision and knowledge from experts in the social work field. Employees work together to make the day to day as productive as possible, there is schedule flexibility and great support.
Pros
Supervison and Admin Support
Cons
Salary
Upper Manhattan
Team Worker (Former Employee) –  145& AmsterdamFebruary 7, 2018
it was a real team environment helping the mentally ill. it was a comfortable place to work I liked it there. It was working for and with the mentally ill. It helps the clients and patients. I learned to be compassionate with people and understanding.
the location was 145 & Amsterdam Ave.
Pros
it was friendly
Cons
it was temporary
amazing experience
Secretary/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Great environment
Excellent Management
Hardest part of the job: Since is a mental health center sometimes it was challenging dealing with some of the patients or their guardian.

What I most enjoy was providing great service. Communicating with patients.
Pros
Safe and secure work environment, great coworkers
Cons
salary could be better
Good paced atmosphere and a lot of Support!
Therapist (LMSW) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2018
I look forward to going to work because there are supportive coworkers as well as supervisors and the director. Work and schedule can be demanding at times, but overall things are flexible once you get a handle of the flow and your cases. My best job so far! The first 6 months can be tough-learning your cases, how to do intakes, managing your work without too much stress, but once you adjust and get used to it, the work flow is better. Just make sure you schedule your lunches and break time, and stick to it because you can get very busy quickly.
Pros
Great work environment, supportive coworkers, admin
Cons
Salary could be better, insurance plans could be better, office space can use some work and be redone
Average work environment
Clinical Supervisor/Interim Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Good place to start your clinical career. Building needs maintenance. Union is very weak. Low wages but good opportunity to learn. Programs need more funding
great temporary job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
it is a place where you work within the community. you meet people from different cultures as well. there is also people with disabilities that you socialize with which could improve your social skills by interacting with them
Pros
good pay, not stressful
Cons
temporary
Pleasant people and place to work at.
Part-time Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10031April 10, 2017
I answer calls and handle requests for medical records and give my supervisor her messages. I open the mail and give to my supervisor, I copy,scan, fax and mail medical records to parties requesting them. I file the medical records and log terminated case records on department records spreadsheet.

I have learned how to maintain medical files and process medical records.

Management is helpful in providing assistant with information and the processing of work.

I work for a non-profit and the staff is hardworking, helpful and pleasant to work with.

The hardest part of my job is filing; the work area has limited space for file cabinets and it is a tight space when filing.

I like insuring that the Doctors receive the records they request as quickly as possible and completing my workload on a timely basis.
Pros
Even though it is a part-time position, I get paid for holidays and sick days.
Cons
Being a part-time position I do not get medical benefits and position will not become full-time
A great place to work.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  1727 Amsterdam Ave., New York, NYMarch 2, 2017
Everyone really cares a great deal about the clients and are dedicated to meet the needs of our community. These are tough times for Non-Profits, but our supervisors and directors do a great deal to help us learn and grow despite the current political climate. I feel nurtured and cared about by the administration.
The money is not great, but I did not become a social worker to get rich. I like working with folks here who all give it their all to make sure our clients receive the best care. And I am learning more then I could at any other place.
Pros
Supportive colegues - we often hang out and have lunch together
Cons
Salary coudl be better and couidl always use mroe vacation time.
Like the job, love the kids.
One On One Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I worked at the Preschool located on the first floor. The staff here at the Preschool were really friendly and everyone seemed to get along well. The days were short but perfect for me, as it gave me more time throughout the day take care of other matters such as appointments, errands, etc.. The kids can be a bit much at times and didn't always make the job easy, but they grew on me. I loved our little graduation ceremony for the kids advancing to Kindergarten, and our field trips to the Bronx Zoo and the Aquarium were fun as well, despite the bus' lack of air conditioning on those hot summer days. If you love working with kids and/or pursuing a career in early childhood education, this place would definitely be a great starting point.
Pros
Steady schedule, friendly staff, fun to work at.
Cons
None that I can think of.
friendly workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 20, 2015
the center is a friendly workplace the co-workers and nice and happy all the time i enjoyed working at the front desk and greeting new people in a friendly respectable manner i learned how to operate the basic office duties.sometimes the job gets diffucult at times but its a wonderful experience
Pros
nice environment
Cons
short breaks
Excellent client centered organization
P/T House Manager (Current Employee) –  NY, NYJanuary 6, 2014
UMMHC services both those impacted by mental health and substance substance abuse. It is a very rewarding experience, especially for those committed to working in the helping and or human service field. Management is committed to ensuring appropriate service delivery and ensures and empowers the employees, which enables effective service delivery.
Pros
Safe and secure work environment.
Productive and Fun
Administrative Assistant/ Billing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2013
Upper Manhattan Mental Health Center is an excellent Mental Health Agency, this company has opened my eyes to the vase amount of opportunities that are available in the medical field. I have grown great love and respect for this field. The work and dedication it takes to help educated my community about mental and physical health is very rewarding at the end of each day.
Pros
excellent health benefits
Cons
small agency no room for growth
My Thoughts
West 135th Street New York, NY (Former Employee) –  secretaryNovember 5, 2011
I agree with the other commentary. Your opinion is invaluable in this organization. The director of the case management program acts like he own the organization, and treat employees under his supervision with complete disrespect. All seem to be intimidated, because he reminds them at every staff meeting that they can be easily replaced. He must know someone special because he collects salaries from two different companies within the same time slot ( I know this must be illegal) while his inferiors have not been given a salary increase for more than five years. When questioned, staffs are reminded that they should feel lucky about having a job. My question is Who is reminding him!
Cons
low salary and disrespectful superiors.
hostile work environment
Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2011
I came in with a positive approach to work with my team, and my supervisors. I had several meetings with my team to discuss management procedures, lesson plans, and progress reports. During the meetings, as well during classroom routine, I obtained resistance and disrespect towards my ideas, my educational approach, and the activities I wanted to implement to meet every child’s needs. I communicated to the Supervisor and Director verbally and in writing my concerns about having a supportive team to accomplish the school year goals, but I was ignored and disrespected. I cannot tolerate disrespect and a demeaning attitude toward my hard work ethic. I communicate and treat people with respect, I just ask for it in return. Shame on you!
Cons
long hours, hostile work environment