Working at Upstart: 19 Reviews

United States19 reviews

Fun and supportive place to grow in!

Featured review

Upstart selected this as a representative review
Upstart has been a great experience and here's why: weekly company wide meetings, inclusive and diverse teams with ERG's to support those communities within our company, budgets given to employees to support their productivity and working from home environments, and plenty of perks (surprise swag sent to your home, MacBook Air provided, company paid benefits, equity in the company, financial advisors/tax prep services are paid by Upstart, and digital first working environment). I've really enjoyed seeing the actions behind Upstart's culture. I can see the work they put in to support their people. It's been empowering to see employees claim space and be celebrated throughout Upstart!

Pros

free lunches, employer paid benefits, technology budget, 401k match

Cons

PTO is accrued can be a minor inconvenience in your first year to earn the time off

Innovative company

I am being honest when I say this one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The work isn’t stressful you work from home with an apple laptop. They take really great care of their staff great benefits and perks. Management is friendly and as long as you pull your weight don’t really have to worry about micro managing. The only downside at the moment is the uncertainty with the economy adds extra stress with job security. If you have an opportunity to work for this company I would encourage you to take a chance you will be glad you did.

Upstart insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment

Misleading

Please do not apply at up start. They will sell you into the job and tell you that their numbers are high and how they’re expecting for their clientele to rise by a certain date. I only work there for one month and I literally just got out of training and they let 70 of us go because of the workload being very low. It is still a fairly new company and it needs a lot of improvement and need to train a lot of the management staff. Also in training we had trainers that would cursed all through training show us their kids and dogs and animals instead of giving us the proper training. This was probably one of the most unprofessional places I have worked at in my 30 years plus working.

Pros

Cons

Short breaks and lack of professionalism

One of the worse employment experiences I have had

I was hired as a contractor. After being trained and told that I was going to be hired on board the company layed off about 100 contractors because the company lost significant money. They gave us 30 min to log off from our systems and I have not heard from my manager ever since. I like the company but was very distraught about the way they treat people if you don’t apply to the company as a FTE, very unfair. The job altogether was easy once you know what to do you can hit your goals no problem as long as their is work. Also, constant changes almost weekly which can be confusing.

Fun and alright place to work at.

I learned a lot while working for this company. They treat everyone with the utmost respect and give everybody the same opportunity as well. Workplace culture can be difficult sometimes.

Rapidly growing, great place to advance your career

Upstart is a great work environment if you enjoy working at a fast pace with other highly motivated people. The benefits are great (technology budget, personal development, unlimited PTO etc.) and management is very transparent. Things are moving very quickly so if you need a regimented environment to be productive this likely isn't the place for you.

Pros

unlimited PTO

Growing company with amazing mission

I have found the leadership team really believes in Upstart's mission and it's seen in how they treat employees and with the culture that has been built. **Fast-growing = a lot of challenges. This is great for someone who enjoys being challenged, being stretched, and doesn't want to be complacent in their job. **Awesome benefits and perks - so many great benefits (pay + bonus + equity) and really great healthcare benefits and side perks (tech budget, personal development and wellness budgets)

Pros

Challenging work, great leadership, hard-working peers, great benefits

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough

Great company culture

I like Upstart a lot. However, during my time here I feel like it's just another mundane task with no real potential of growth and development for employees to improve their skills.

Pros

Cons

Mundane

Good company culture

People there are really nice and helpful. They want you to be successful at your role and there are tons of sources and opportunities to continue your professional development.

Secluded Credit Analyst

I am grateful to Upstart because they took a chance on someone like me who had been in banking for years but no direct experience with loan processing. I am so glad they did because I do enjoy the work itself. However, I am really disappointed in my experience. I had such high hopes in training that this was going to be a very supportive and uplifting work environment. They definitely try to sell that to you at the beginning. 2 weeks after training you are expected to function as though you have been working there for years and questions are VERY discouraged (but they will never admit that). They expect you to rely on their lackluster resources that are incomplete/missing really common scenarios and are not worded well so there is room for misunderstandings. If you ask a question to one of the "resource guides" (that you are being told to not use for their exact purpose, for guidance) then you get attitude from them. I don't really understand the functionality of new hires in this company. They expect you to be performing at 100% after a month of exposure with no guidance. The manager I was assigned doesn't do anything but go over my quality reviews with me once a week. Other than that I don't hear from them and I certainly do not have support from anyone in this company. I brought my concerns up and was just told "hang in there". I really wanted to like this company because I know they have the potential but they just really don't care about you. Maybe some day they will figure it out but I wouldn't bet on it 🤷

Pros

Free lunch if you work overtime (sometimes)

Cons

Lack of support

Upstart columbus

Upstart was great when I first joined. A lot of growth and support true team playing. Then the manager left to take over another group and the department went to down. Never had any clear communication. Always lied to about information provided and for feedback and advancement. Maybe it is different in other departments but avoid the payments/loan servicing department. Work is not evenly distributed between agents. Supervisors if you want to call them that never have clear or consist goals they have favorites. If you interview for leadership roles they already know who they are promoting. As stated before it was cool at first but once Chrissy came in like a wrecking ball and making it a real call center an the new managers only making the job about numbers you lose motivation to even want to come into work.

Pros

The people, pto, reimbursement

Cons

Schedules, call queue, qa and management if that’s what you want to call them that.

Productive Enviornment

I enjoy working for Upstart. It can definitely be challenging at times, but what job isn't? There are great perks, such as free lunch, snacks, helpful co-workers and many more! Only downside (sometimes) is keeping up with the work volume. But overall, pretty great place to work.

Just OK

compensation is low for the amount of work you will do 1/5 at best only some positions get bay area level of compensation org advancement is 2/5 at best (you will quickly get rat-holed into one area) management is 2/5 to 3/5 at best (luck of the draw, most of the management has no management history or experience, they're just hand picked favorites from the rank and file) culture would be a 4/5 but due to favoritism and nepotism running rampant it gets a 2/5 overall ( if you aren't a favorite you will get 'managed out' and won't see any raises no matter how long you stay and put in work)

Upstart

Upstart doesn't pay its employees enough, but moreover, there is a carrot-on-a-stick kind of attitude towards advancement. They promise a lot and end up not following through on most of their promises.

OK place to work

If you're not a developer/programmer/data scientist you won't get good/decent pay for the Bay Area here. They'll cap you at like $24 in operations or something stupid low for this area. CEO and leadership team are cool. The culture is pretty great and the office feels like a romping ground for college kids. TGIFs!

Pros

work life balance/culture is cool

Cons

career advancement

Brilliant idea muddied by questionable mid-level managers

Upstart was an inspirational company whose vision I worked tirelessly to support. It is regretful that I had to leave because of the abusive and unprofessional conduct of a few middle managers. To this day I cannot understand why this behavior would be tolerated in any company. I would describe Upstart as an extremely fast-paced and stressful environment, where there seems to be a lack of respect for fellow employees. For this reason alone, I left a job that I otherwise enjoyed.

Pros

Founders' vision, unique business model

Cons

Abusive workplace, very poor training (training at similar companies for same role lasts 4-6 times longer)

Upstart

I love the culture there. The mission statement really fits in to what they are trying to accomplish through their business. Helping others who are in financial need to get back on their feet using other factors unlike the usual loan companies.

Pros

free food/ snack, fun people, relaxed environment

Cons

can get repetitive

Fun place to work

Quota is achievable Great work environment Great place to work if you are a fresh graduate looking for a job Great exposure if you are looking into the operations side of a startup

Fun Place to Work

Great work environment. Upstart has the most talented and the most hardest working individuals. Upstart's goal is to get their borrowers financially fit, and the team members are dedicated to this very task.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

temp to hire, but recent downsizing ruined my opportunity.

Common questions about Upstart

Answered by current and former employees at Upstart

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upstart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Upstart with

Learn about Upstart in popular locations

• Upstart
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?