Upwork Employee Reviews

great online job recruiting company
English German translator (Current Employee) –  online job companyMay 18, 2018
- complete independent with my clients
- good support if there is any trouble with a client
- long term contract with 2 clients, very good jobs
- a bit hard in the beginning
Pros
Love to work independent = it is the perfect place
Cons
have to get my own clients, but easy with the right search functions
Absurd policy
Freelance (Former Employee) –  WorldwideMay 18, 2018
If you don't use the service enough, your account will be deleted. The bidding is very low. A policy is needed to prevent low rates. Changed to Upwork from Elance.
Cons
Very low rate
Trabajo independiente de forma online
Traductora freelance (Current Employee) –  OnlineMay 17, 2018
Al ser un trabajo totalmente independiente, como freelance, da libertad mucha libertad. El trato es directo con el propio cliente. No existen intermediarios y la página se ocupa de que el pago y la recepción del trabajo hecho sean enviados al mismo tiempo para evitar posibles estafas de clientes fantasma.
Very good website
Freelance Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2018
I have been using Elance/Upwork for a very long time. It has helped so much over the years. I have been introduced to international clients as well as businesses to do multi-faceted work.
Audio Production Life
Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  EgyptMay 15, 2018
Upwork are a real great pushing & encouraging team...
They helped me to work on their site
They protect their people very well
Upwork only needs more competitions to know its talents
Support
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 9, 2018
Machiavellian management that seem to not care about their job as this company is never spoke about in glowing terms in the tech industry. This trickles down to each and every employee who start acting like robots just to get the day to pass.
Junior employees questioning nonsensical decisions by management is seen as insubordination.

No chance for growth among support staff leaving us bored most the time but for many of us this is the only job we could get.

A positive is that company workforce is very diverse in race and gender.

Support staff come and go and the only staff that seem to stay are the ones who don't care about helping customers or freelancers and in fact a few support staff play a game who can get the angriest response from customers.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Boredom
better work zone as a freelancer.
Freelance Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2018
I would say best freelancing work zone. It has both the way to work with clients either hourly wise or budget wise. This is better for freelancers. It release the payment very quick.
Not enough employment opportunities
Freelance writing/editing online (Former Employee) –  OnlineMay 7, 2018
I applied for several jobs for several days and finally received one offer. The payment was slow and not much. This would be ok as a hobby job, but definitely not steady income.
Pros
Easy, work at my own pace.
Cons
Not enough work
Freelance Company welcomes all writers of many niches
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLMay 6, 2018
As a freelance editor and writer, I am able to carry loads of differing contracts and clients with the ability to turn around successful work/projects in by or before due dates. This is a remote position, so you are able to work from home and so long as you apply yourself, take strides in bettering your skills, you are likely to make a success out of this. I enjoy being able to work from home and researching and completing writing and editing work I normally would not do on a daily or regular basis.
Pros
Work from home, constant communication, helpful guidelines
Cons
Must submit proposals to clients as fast as possible to attain job/contract safety
Highly encouraging workplace
Mechanical Engineer and 3D modeler (Current Employee) –  OnlineMay 5, 2018
I like working at upwork because it gives me the opportunity to connect to clients I never would've met otherwise and it's great because I get to work anytime and anywhere and you're basically the boss of yourself. However, I do wish that the fee that upwork takes for every job was lower than what they take now.
Fun workplace and flexible hours
Online Freelancer (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 3, 2018
All I can is the work environment here is fun, relaxed and flexible is hours. I learn so much here interns of being on time in doing job and being more professional in talking to the clients.
UpWork was a great way to pass the time
Remote Freelancer (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 1, 2018
There is not a feasible way to make Upwork a full-time career, but it is a great way to pass the time as something to do after work. The job bidding environment is competitive due to foreigners bidding low on projects, taking jobs from a normal worker.
Excellent Marketplace
PHP Developer - SEO Executive (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 1, 2018
Excellent Marketplace , for freelancer and for the companies , better then the freelancer , offers excellent in hourly rate , and fixed price as well as.
Upwork is not a good site for freelancing
Designer (Former Employee) –  AmericaApril 27, 2018
If you are trying to look for jobs online or freelance please do not use upwork.

- up work do not accept any new accounts mainly because there are already so many freelancers and less jobs available for me.

- I have been working on upwork for a year now and honesty I have never been disappointed with a freelancing site this much. If you create an account in upwork at 2018 you will not get a job until 2019. Trust me.

- Upwork has to many freelancers and less jobs. Most of the real jobs are taken by the high rated freelancers and beginners are left with scam jobs and fake jobs.

-Upwork suspends an account quickly. If you do not use it for a month, your profile will not be visible. If you send to many proposals you get suspended. If you login in another IP address you get suspended and there is nothing you can do about it.

Moreover, upwork has rarely any real jobs. You get 60 connects per month and every job proposal takes 2 connects which is the most trashy policy i have ever come across. Like as freelancers 20% of our earnings are given to you and yet you want to only fix an approx for 30 jobs per month.

How ridiculous?

Up work is going downhill honestly and I wouldn't even suggest it to my enemy.

I would never work with upwork ever again.
Flexible
REFERRAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2018
Work at home, Allows career growth and work experience. Choice of available job offers. Updated and always on track. Provide premiums on Top Rated workers.
Absolutely Love UpWork
Freelance Transcription & Proofreading (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 19, 2018
I've used UpWork off and on for the last few years to try and get my life back on track. It's a wonderful website because it allows you to be your own boss and get all of the freelance work your heart desires in a safe and reliable way. Of course, there are fees taken out of your earnings to remain safe and reliable, however that's the cost of using a website to help your freelance portfolio.
Pros
Safe, Reliable
Cons
Fees
Great Freelancing Website
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 16, 2018
I worked with lots of great managers and on many great projects, I highly recommend for anyone looking for temporary jobs with great pay, and very fitting jobs for one's skillset.
Es la peor plataforma en la que jamás estuve registrada
freelancer (Former Employee) –  FreelancerApril 13, 2018
Realmente quedé más que decepcionada de la plataforma cuando un día recibí una notificación de que habían decidido borrar mi perfil de forma definitiva porque nunca me habían contratado a pesar de mis muchas propuestas.

Fue una decisión de pura maldad y de ignorancia, parece que no supieran que cada proyecto recibe unas treinta propuestas, como si fuera fácil lograr que te contraten.

Esta decisión que upwork tomó cercenó mis posibilidades laborales de una forma vil y sin sentido. Yo solo quería trabajar y dar lo mejor de mí. Tengo varios clientes, quienes están todos muy satisfechos con mis trabajos, pero quería ampliar la cartera y también incorporar proyectos más desafiantes, algo que upwork me negó.

Realmente los considero de lo peor, no podría decir que tienen una pésima calidad humana, porque directamente no la tienen, están robotizados. Una verdadera porquería.
Pros
gran variedad de proyectos
Cons
Que te echan de la plataforma por nada, incluso cuando te comportas de forma adecuada y cumples con todas las reglas.
fun and flexible
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  work from homeApril 12, 2018
Working in Upwork ( an online base job) is promising and challenging. Because you got to meet a lot of clients with different needs. It challenges you to stretch your imagination from one to another. It lets you to be systematic on how you handle your time and pressure given by different clients which makes you become more creative in many different ways.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
long hours sometimes
Good for Newbie Freelance Writers
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  PhilippinesApril 12, 2018
Overall, you can find a job. But, it is really rare to find a good-paying and permanent job/s since you have a lot of competitors and most of the clients go for freelancers which offer the lowest rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.7Career Opportunities

4.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight