Upwork Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
good place to freelance
Freelancer Global (Current Employee) –  globalJuly 18, 2018
If you work hard, upwork can be rewarding,good place to freelance. If you want to have your own work life/social life balance, freelancing is a good option. Job security can be an issue because you can go through dry spells. so be prepared for the good and bad.
Pros
good if you want to work on your own
Cons
Job Security
Good job
Freelance (Current Employee) –  SindhJuly 15, 2018
Upwork is a very good job for those who has skills . Those who has not also done small and easy task like photo cropping etc. It pays a lot but you have to be patient at first
Pros
paid more
Cons
boring
Good job-matching company
Data Science Freelance (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 11, 2018
Upworks website is relatively easy to navigate. Since it is a company that matches clients to freelancers it doesn't really follow that standard questions.
Satisfying
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesJuly 10, 2018
A lot of competitive applicants but the stress in looking for a job is worth it because of the fair and reasonable pay. The comfort of working at home or anywhere a person can work is really helpful for someone who has a lot on their plate.
Pros
Own time and work place
Cons
No work, No pay. No paid leave
It's a risk.
Freelance Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2018
Bit of a crapshoot, but can be fun. Or dangerous. I was able to find tons of jobs, but I had to apply to hundreds to get one job, and that was with a 5 star reputation and a large body of work. It was tough, it sometimes felt like no matter how much effort was put in, you'd just get lost in a sea of people.
Pros
Exciting, pushes you as a person and creator, choice of projects
Cons
Stressful, jobs go to the lowest bidder, and they often live in lower income parts of the world.
Many opportunities for freelancers
Freelance (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 8, 2018
Most questions on here regarding Upwork are not applicable while working freelance. But I would recommend this site as a good starting point for freelancers. I was able to break into an industry I had been wanting to explore for a while, and I will continue to take on as much freelance work as I can to expand my horizons.
Working as a Freelancer on Upwork
Freelance Animator & Logo Design (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 24, 2018
I love it! The only thing I would knock them on is their customer service. Other than that, I enjoy working as an Upwork freelancer where I can choose when and who to work with.
Pros
Remote
Cons
Customer Service and Freelancer Support
they will pay you hourly
virtual Assistant (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2018
they usually pay you hourly, Job may bit complicated but they provide a pre recorded on how to do the Job. and the salary its depend if you want per week or monthly.
Interesting Freelancing Opportunities
Blogger and Reviewer (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 21, 2018
Upwork is a website that hosts freelance opportunities for almost anyone, regardless of skill set. Which working freelance jobs found on Upwork, I submitted book reviews, proofread things, and even wrote a few books of my own. It was definitely a unique career opportunity, because I was able to take my hobbyist blogging to the next level as a travel writer. I was even able to dabble in photojournalism.

Unfortunately, the jobs on Upwork also have the potential to be negative experiences. Writers and creators are slave to the review system, meaning that there will be times when a freelancer is required to go well beyond the listed hours and skill level, or face the consequences.

Upwork is a good stepping stone for writers, programmers, and artists. It is not a place you go to find full-time work or a lifetime career.
Badly run company
Virtual Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 18, 2018
Poorly run. No transparency. They'll cut you off whether you violated policy or not (In this case, I didn't, and I had good reviews). I was grandfathered in when they converted from Elance to Upwork, and within two days (and I had a good rating on Elance) before I even managed to bid for a project, my membership was revoked. It's apparently their policy that they can kick you off without cause and without telling you. Took another month to get all of my information deleted from their database. Support is awful to talk to. Would never recommend this company to anyone.
An awesome platform to work as a Freelancer
Independent Freelancer (Virtual Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 15, 2018
I am working as an independent freelancer and successfully delivered 38+ projects (1500+ hours of work) with top client satisfaction.

The work culture at Upwork is awesome and they are really supportive whenever it is required.
Freelance
UI/UX Designer (Current Employee) –  Around the globeJune 14, 2018
Freelance Platform, difficult to work because you always need to search projects. I would rather work on a stable position then looking for projects all the time.
Very effective freelancer platform
Video Editor, Motion Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2018
The perfect platform developed for freelancers of all kind. Friendly and supportive, it becomes very popular not only among freelancers but also business clients.
Upwork.com - Needs Some Work to Level the Bidding
Freelance - Business / Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 9, 2018
Background - Jobs are obtained by bidding.

Problem - People on East Coast inherently have advantage. Bidding limitations of "Must have 100 hours . .
Pros
None; although it's a novel idea. It needs work in bidding for jobs.
Cons
Plenty. Limitations on bidding for new freelancers prohibit their experience.
You Control Your Life
Member of Upwork's Top Rated program (Current Employee) –  CTJune 2, 2018
I've been using Upwork for years now and have made a nice chunk of change. You can find some sweet gigs that turn into full-time deals and lead to better work opportunities. While I wish Upwork didn't skim 20% of the top, without them it would be harder for freelance writers to find work. So, no complaints!
Exciting and relaxing
FREELANCER (Former Employee) –  USJune 1, 2018
Productive and fun workplace but have lots of competition which makes you decide to get your rates lower and lower just to get the project awarded to you. There are also projects that give you some lesson which you thought as hard but instead, it's the other way around.
Freelance
Freelance Penetration Tester (Current Employee) –  homeMay 29, 2018
Upwork is a decent place to work from home and be able to be your own boss. I personally only did it as a side business but you can totally be able to make a living off of it.
great experience
Freelance Creator (Current Employee) –  internetMay 24, 2018
Lots of opportunities to work in a large variety of creative areas. Very competitive but also potentially very lucrative. Everything hinges on the contractor hiring you to get the gig. All work and schedule is relative to the particular job.
Pros
wide range of jobs and pay
Cons
have to get hired instead of choosing assignment
You control your schedule
Freelance Content Writer (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesMay 24, 2018
As a freelancer you control your schedule. It pays well when projects are around, but could get difficult when you do not get as much projects because the competition is high.
Upwork is just freelance work
Web Designer (Current Employee) –  Boiling Springs, SCMay 23, 2018
Upwork is just a freelance company

The quality of freelancers on Upwork is extremely bad and the company isn't able to enforce rules, fines, or in any way penalize dishonest freelancers, which 100% of the IT people I hired on Upwork were. If a client has a dispute with a freelancer, it's pretty much up to the freelancer whether they want to remedy it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

59out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Upwork.

Powered by Comparably