Upwork Employee Reviews

Flexible workplace
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 16, 2018
You work at your own time. They protect the freelancers from cons. Flexible payment methods.
The hardest part of the job is getting clients since they are plenty of freelancers bidding on the same job.
A lot of opportunity
FREELANCE WRITER (Current Employee) –  AnywhereNovember 14, 2018
Though their major issue is that some contracts have different currencies and sometimes on the other side of the world. Which there is nothing wrong with it, I would like to get some cash for the amount of work I put in.
Pros
Many job opportunities, tests, and helps
Cons
Pay is often too low
Project Based Work
Medical Biller/Coder (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 3, 2018
Working through Upwork its ok. You choose your own pay rate but Upwork has a 20% fee which makes what you earn a bit on the lower side. It has its perks, you can get hired on the spot and start working the next day.
Pros
Work from home, decent pay
Cons
20% fee, lack of stable jobs, too competitive
Extremely good for remote work opportunity
Trading and Arbitrage bots. Forex/Crypto (Current Employee) –  Ростовская областьNovember 3, 2018
Typicaly I decide by my self will I work today or will not. Upwork is a contract-based platform. Time management goes by a freelancer. Minus is I need to find a new contract each time.
Pros
Remote work, free time is so long as you wish
Go somewhere else! Upwork is horrible
Contractor (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 30, 2018
The company does a horrible job of taking care of their workers and they should be disgraced to call themselves customer service reps when they provide no customer service at all. Go somewhere else there are many other platforms.
Cons
Low pay, no support, no benefits
Freelanced from home
Freelance Web and Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Home BasedOctober 30, 2018
It was a good run. Mostly kept busy with clients around the world. But it comes in waves. The highs are short and sweet, and the lows can stretch for long periods of time between contracts.
Pros
I was able to be home and work
Cons
Sometimes it can become isolated.
Great working place
Freelance Content Creator/ Copywriter/ Editor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2018
Good employers listed, nice opportunities, fair compensation on per hour basis. It really depends on you to reach out to clients and to network in order to get the best opportuities
Great site to build your career, gain credibility and make money.
Freelancer copywriter (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 26, 2018
It's a good site. I dont like that they take 20% of my pay, but it does give you access to thousands of potential clients. I would recommend to anyone.
Its okay.
FREELANCE WRITER (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 20, 2018
Its okay. Don't have many faults in it. Decent work from home job. Takes a while to find the right fit for personal skillsets. Its a bit of a struggle to get a solid job.
Pros
Decent work from home.
Cons
Hard to find jobs.
Relaxing online work.
Spanish Translator (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJOctober 19, 2018
It was difficult to find a job, since there is a lot of people ,looking, you need to be fast, the opportunities of finding one were low. But when you get to find one the client is very specific and nice, and pays well.
Pros
good pay, many jobs.
Cons
rarely get one.

Want to know more about Upwork?

Ask a question
Great Freelancing site
Ghostwriter/ Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 19, 2018
This site is fantastic when starting out as a freelancer. I definitely wouldn't have gotten the start I did without it. They do take a percentage of the pay, but to me it was worth it
Pros
work from wherever, good customer service, trustworthy with information
Cons
percentage of earnings goes to them
My freelancer and company account was suspended
freelancer devops (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 11, 2018
My freelancer and company account was suspended due to violation of rules without possibility to fix / correct my mistake. I spend months of building my freelancer profile with clients and now its all waste.
Good side job
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  HomeOctober 2, 2018
I just do freelance writing when I need extra cash. I can just get on when I need and search for projects that fit me. Flexible, work from home hours.
Freelancer WEB/Graphic Designer
Freelancer / Visual Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2018
Multiple projects on daily basis, involving skills in Adobe Suite, WEB development, Online marketing, Branding. Occasional printing duties on request and short term tasks.
Homebased Virtual Assistant
Virtual Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
Working at home with the help of Upwork, made my life meaningful.

I learned that you can work and continue your career goals at the comfort of your home.

It's fast-paced and challenging.

The hardest part of the job is fighting your self to not to sleep. Imagine, you are working hard and then suddenly the rain falls? And you are seeing your bed beside you? That's hellish. lol!

The most enjoyable part of working at home is you can work at the comfort of your own. PJ's, barefoot and a cup of coffee with your most relaxing sit ever.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Healthcare
Don't Bother
Freelance (Former Employee) –  CanadaSeptember 25, 2018
Unless you work in a niche field, don't bother applying for a profile on UpWork. They limit the amount of freelancers in their marketplace and will deny your profile. If you're just starting out as a freelancer, it's a waste of time.
Not A Good Place
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 22, 2018
I have submitted 7 proposals and every one of them have been denied. I bid less than their budget and I have experience but nobody will give me a chance to show I can do the work. This company sucks! The people posting projects don't really want to pay workers to do the work! It's very hard getting jobs on UpWork. I do not recommend UpWork to anyone. Don't waste your time on a useless site. I would give 0 stars if I could.
Wrote good History at Upwork
Full-stack mobile developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
I worked for a number of years at Upwork( Odesk ). In this site, 300+ job was completed by me.
Mainly I worked as a mobile developer, and some web development projects are experienced.
I've good experience and expertise in the following technologies:
- iPhone/iPod/iPad, Android
- PDF processing (Custom editor to provide annotations)
- Image Processing/ Camera related
- CoreText, rich text editing, text styling, full formating. Text and drawing mixing
- Core Data, SQLite,
- Core Animation
- REST, SOAP based web services.
- XML, JSON, WSDL
- In-App-Purchase
- Facebook, Twitter , Instagram, Youtube
- Apple maps, Google Map Service
- QR code, Bar code scanning related apps
remote
Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 20, 2018
As a Pro freelancer, I am working hard to get Top Rated.
But upwork police is very complex, hence I can't reach out to ideal project I want and requires my experiences.
Upwork is a friendly and collaborative place to work. They're accomplishing a lot in the world of online work and helping millions of freelancers.
VP and Deputy General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 17, 2018
Management is quite transparent and there are regular company meetings. There are regular company events for team building. The most enjoyable thing about the job is that Wednesday is always a company-wide work from home day - when employees are supposed to use the Upwork.com online work platform for their own work, remotely.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Upwork.

Powered by Comparably