Upwork Employee Reviews

UpWork - for contract work
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Parker, COFebruary 14, 2018
UpWork is a great place to find contract work in a variety of fields. It is very competitive and alot of people apply to the same jobs. If you have expertise and years of experience then you can find contract opportunities. I never found full-time opportunities with one company through UpWork which is what I am pursuing now.
Pros
Contract work done anywhere, you name your hourly wage
Cons
20% fee per contract until you meet a set amount of hours
Safe and secured freelancing flatform
Writer, Data Entry, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 6, 2018
Offers legitimate employers and jobs which pays well most of the time. However, some policies being implemented are difficult to comply with due to the rapid increase of freelancer pool.
Pros
Legit work
Cons
Paid membership gives better access to jobs on top of service charges
Excellent Workplace
Online Freelance Marketplace (Former Employee) –  Online ResearchFebruary 5, 2018
Great Freelance Site. The best online site I've ever known. I've learned to communicate with the client to have a productive output. I learned to handle pressure when it comes to submission of reports and documents.
UpWork-It'll Work for You, but You Might Not Want It To
Freelance Writer and Copyeditor (Former Employee) –  Online, USAFebruary 1, 2018
What can be said about UpWork? It's a loose collective of free-lance workers of (heavily-) varying stages of experience, and the average client can be described with similarly noncommittal language. All-in-all, it's not a bad gig, even if they take waaay too much out of your check as a "facilitator's" of "finder's" fee, and there's one, very simple reason to put up with the cut: you're actually guaranteed to be paid, unlike most of the Wild-West-Cutthroat-Gig that is freelance writing.
Pros
You get paid! You choose which contracts to work.
Cons
Massive cut from commission.
flexible work-life balance
Freelance writer, Virtual Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Home basedFebruary 1, 2018
There are too many Upwork freelancers by year 2017, it is hard to find jobs now unlike before wayback in year 2015. Competition between freelancers is a bit challenging.
Great place to work with, though have some significant flaws.
QuickBooks Online Accountant | Xero Accountant (Current Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 31, 2018
Great place to work online.
Many skills learned.
Great diversified culture.
Management failed to protect the right of freelancers at times. Especially against bad clients.
Most enjoyable when the client is good and the experience is good.
Pros
Many skills and culture
Cons
Low protection to rights of freelancers.
Great choice for freelance writing
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Competitive atmosphere but you can always find work. Clients are usually good at communicating their needs for a project and ways to go about fulfilling tasks.
Pros
You work on your own time.
Cons
The work does not include benefits.
Great
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  AnywhereJanuary 28, 2018
Working at Upwork is fun and fulfilling. The contracts are competitive and can be great if one is looking for a side gig. Have excellent conflict resolution solutions.
Very competitive place
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 28, 2018
Upwork can give a lot of experience, thats for sure. But the main drawback is that most of the clients looking for cheap abroad contractors with above median level of requirements for far far below salaries. Can recommend for junior to get practice (but beware - upwor clients don't trust new accounts and rarely hire someone with -0 hours of work there)
You will get suspended literally ANY TIME without even breaking rules.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Remote WorkJanuary 27, 2018
Your account will get suspended Without any warning for a numbers of reasons, and worst thing about Upwork is that you don't need to break any rule to get suspended! like one common reason is:

->You are Not earning enough, or not getting Job, means you will get suspended! You will receive an email saying your skills are not in demand.

(Proof: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Account-suspended-due-to-high-number-of-proposals-for-jobs/td-p/292241)

"Its the Selling Skill (required by Upwork) which is important ( to survive on upwork) than having the (relevant) Skills required by Clients. Clients require technical skills, but Upwork deliver them Salesman while keep on suspending all the technical peoples not having Selling Skill, there's the mistake, Clients has Nothing to do with your Selling skills once you get selected., all they require is technical skills.

Never ever rely on Upwork as your main source of income even if you have 5 Years old account, you can get suspended any time.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Account suspended without breaking rules, without any warning

Want to know more about Upwork?

Ask a question
good
Virtual Assistant / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  PhilippinesJanuary 26, 2018
I don't think anyone can rely on upwork as a primary source of their income. The salary not competitive, and all work are contractual only. They can cancel your work anytime.
Web Developer
Developer (Current Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 24, 2018
upWork is one of the best place for freelancers around the world it has a great reputation as well tool to work online. also it has a great amount of community support as well as team support as a freelancer i really like to work on upwork.
Pros
Many Job Categories available
Cons
Competition
Freelancer
Freelancer Engineering Designer (Current Employee) –  Lansdowne, PAJanuary 24, 2018
It is a freelancing position I made for myself to keep my skills keen.
I woud get a few orders from clients to design houses and floor plans, gadgets, schmeatics and inventions.
Account suspended with ridiculous reason
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  MalaysiaJanuary 23, 2018
Good if you are thinking about taking job you like and working at your own time (for some job only, some needs you to work in certain timezone) Higher chance of getting hired mostly for those with an established portfolio. For those who don't have much experience/ special skills, the chances of getting a job are low. You will have very fierce competitions among the freelancers, most of the time receiving no reply from clients, for some it took a long response time. Some freelancers are willing to take a jobs/offer at a ridiculously low price to increase their chance of getting hired. I feel that sometimes the freelancers are being paid so low for their work, not much different from an online cheap labor. Freelancers are also charged 20% Upwork service charge on each project and this do not include the withdrawal charge yet. My case here was my account has been suspended with the reason of me not securing enough contracts and earnings. With some of the proposal still under negotiation with clients, Upwork has chose to terminate my account straightaway without any notice beforehand. I had chose to voice this out because as a freelancer, you have the right to know what you'll be expecting working in this platform. For future freelancers, THINK THINK & THINK again if you are going to work with Upwork.
Pros
Choose job you want to do, SOME job offers working at your own time, chances to explore some other area of expertise (provided you are hired)
Cons
low chance of getting hired, low salary/ripped off, for my case: given absurd reason to suspend my account
Quite a waste of time
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJanuary 23, 2018
Most of the clients don't know what they want, and thus don't know how much the contracts should be worth.
This makes it difficult to compete with third world freelancers that are willing to put up with everything and only get fraction of what the contracts should goo for.
It is productive and am glad to work there.
Free Lance (Current Employee) –  Addis AbabaJanuary 22, 2018
The management and the over all working culture at Upwork is really nice. I dont intend to leave upwork but things are now changed. I am not even paid enough for completing a simple task per day.
Contract Work for Curriculum Development
Science curriculum developer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 20, 2018
Great companies and the opportunity to work with same company for long period of time. I set my own hours as long as the weekly hours are complete. The communication is available for each company.
what I learned
free lance programmer (Current Employee) –  from homeJanuary 19, 2018
Poor jobs available and the pay was minimal at best. Customers with little experience in the field who were looking for the lowest rates and poor ideas of what they actually wanted.
Web Dev
Web Developer Freelancer (Current Employee) –  Morocco, MOJanuary 15, 2018
during work on upwork, I learned many things wish ability to communicate with client ,manage individual projects, get strong skills in communication and how to manage your relationship with clients
Fun Work Place
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2018
With Upwork having the opportunity to work as you like. I am working with Upwork for many years and doing along with my regular job. It is really fun to prove yourself at international level and may have an opportunity to learn new skills like me I learned research skills.
Pros
Free to work
Cons
not a regular job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.