Upwork Employee Reviews

The best freelance platform
Freelance Web and Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  USAMarch 17, 2019
The best freelancer platform you can find. An incredible experience is to work on this platform.
On this platform I worked on projects, but I was also hired for longer projects. Payment is governed by how much you have previously prepared and what grade you have from previous clients. Who does not have a trial and works on this platform should immediately do so.
freedom
Freelance Web Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2019
Numerous contracts on UpWork to apply to. Able to specify the type of job you want and are qualified for. High paying if you are familiar with coding languages or data entry and there is a good amount of freedom if you complete contracts on time and on your own time.
Fair, work volume and pay
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 11, 2019
Upwork is an online job platform. Most jobs usually allow you to work on your own time as long as you meet quotas or performance standard. This gives you lesser stress, you do need to balance your free time and the work though.
Pros
Lot of Jobs, stable pay
Cons
High Job Market Competition
Empresa dinâmica e agradável de trabalhar
Freelance (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 9, 2019
É uma boa empresa para trabalhar de Freelance, permite fazer contacto com pesóas sérias e prevenir o fraude.
Self reliant marketplace
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2019
Upwork is big remote job marketplace. their all system and way are secured. I strongly recommend this site for anyone. There is a different type of work.
Worked as a freelancer
Content Expert (Current Employee) –  FreelancerMarch 7, 2019
Lot of low-level clients. Too many freelancers that you compete with but if you have the skills and good presentation, you can go a long way and earn good. Sky is the limit.

Problem areas - the site is not freelancer-friendly. Accounts get banned for very small reasons. Favors the client too much who often force freelancer to work outside the platform, blackmail for the ratings, refuse to accept work citing the quality issue.. sad thing is that all the disputes almost always go in favor of the client. If a client flags you even once, Upwork might ban you. It is so darn strict there so basically, you always work under a cloud of threat. That's the poorest work culture you are a part of.
Cons
No security in terms of your profile. Clients often take you for a ride.
Too many deductions/low pay
Freelance (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 2, 2019
I made contact with a few clients on Upwork, but they were taken aback by the amount Upwork take in percentage, then subsequent payment costs.It doesn't make sense in the end when they are taking between 50 and 70% on-costs, which they won't tell you about in the beginning. Then after all of that they keep your earnings in escrow (ie earning extra interest off your back) for 5 days. On-costs include the $2 Paypal fee.
Stay very far away
Support agent (Former Employee) –  Mountain ViewFebruary 26, 2019
Worst company ever. If you have half a brain you stay very far away from Upwork.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Great place to work, high fees
Freelance blog and article writer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 26, 2019
I loved working at Upwork. The platform provided everything that a freelance writer needs to find good clients. However, the 20% fee that was taken out of my net profits was affecting my business and my finances. This is why I eventually decided to close my profile and start looking for clients on my own.
Pros
Easy to connect with clients
Cons
High fees and hidden costs
Upwork
Freelance Designer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 21, 2019
Upwork is an easy way to work from home. Getting a job is sometimes hard due to competition over the internet. The UI is easy to work with and the clients are easy to contact through the app or website.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Competitive
Gained years of valuable experience
freelance resumo writer, copywriter (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALFebruary 17, 2019
Gained many years of valuable resume writing, copywriting experience with Upwork in a freelance capacity. The money was low but the experience I gained was priceless.
Pros
freelancing
Cons
money is not good
Flexibile and dynamic
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 16, 2019
It really takes the right client to freelancer connection to take Upwork seriously as a steady source of income.

Great for occasional little bits of work.

The flexibility is good.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of long term possibilities
The best freelance platform
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Provincia de San LuisFebruary 16, 2019
A lot of jobs, you can pick the desired technology.
There are two options.
Hourly contract: Freelancers include their rate when submitting a proposal to your project.
Fixed-Price contract: Freelancers submit their proposed bid for the entire project and suggest potential milestones.
It is my pleasure
FREELANCE (Former Employee) –  China Lake, CAFebruary 14, 2019
I met best client in the freelancing world in my opinion.
I could work for years thanks for them and learnt a lot about their own business from them.
Nice offices!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Learned a lot! Workplace culture is "cliquey" and lots of politics. Management seems disorganized and out of touch with how to fix unfair treatment of others. No micro-managing, which is good.
Competitive environment, but above average working hours.
FREELANCER (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 7, 2019
Work load is not evenly divided: Sometimes you'll need to put in a lot more hours that you can afford, but other times you'll be totally free. For those who lack experience, the environment would be tough, but as you gain experience, things get easier and more systematic.
Remote job
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 6, 2019
I don't work for Upwork, I work on Upwork platform. A lot of competition there in my field of work. I heard that lately it became almost impossible to open a new profile.
Poor Ethics
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 4, 2019
Warning, UpWork's entire system is not based on a foundation of trust. Freelancers can remove bad reviews and they hide this fact from their clients (Companies). Do a quick Google search on removing bad reviews. What does this tell you about the company you may consider working for? This is the only piece of information you need to know to put the rest of the pieces together. If UpWork is willing to be dishonest to their clients who are paying them by ghosting bad (but valuable) reviews, then how do you think they will treat you? After all, it is their clients that are paying them and they treat them poorly.

I was trained to teach our reps to hide this fact from our clients (companies) who called to complain that their review was not showing up. And they could only find out that the review was ghosted by logging into Google Incognito. The system engineers intentionally developed the program to hide this fact from clients (companies).

UpWork then learned to manipulate the system so they ghosted the review to the company so the Company saw the review (unless they checked Google Incognito) but it was hidden from everyone else.

Again, what does this tell you about a company's ethics? I wasted an enormous amount of time interviewing with this company but I found their ethics repugnant and utterly disgusting.

Go work somewhere else unless you are the type of sleazeball who steal your Grandma's social security checks. If you are, then you will fit right in.
Independent Contractor as Writer
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLFebruary 1, 2019
I am still with Upwork as an independent writer available to submit proposals for jobs. This is a remote position so many of the above questions aren't applicable.
Easy money IF you can get jobs
Transcriptionist, Editor (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 31, 2019
Rediculously competitive and of course the more money you make, the more money upwork takes, clients sometimes want to attempt to scan you and the company doesnt really care unless you buy one of their employment packages,
Pros
You work the hours you want, youre the boss
Cons
hard to get jobs, competeing with other people, might get scammed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss