Upwork
Happiness rating is 72 out of 100

Upwork Employee Reviews

United States482 reviews

freelancefreelancerelanceplatformodeskclientscamproject

Flexible time but no job security

Flexible time but no job security. If you want to work from home, this is for you. Salary is very good if you find a good client.It's ideal to work here before but now there are so many payments and deductions from Upwork like the connects that you need to purchase in order to apply and bid for jobs. You also need connects to have the availability badge for the employers to notice you.

Great professional engineers. No freedom of speech

I've been working at Upwork(towards improving upwork platform) for more than a year now. It is intensive work, usually not going over the 9-5 (which you can actually accommodate according to preference).I've learnt that technology wise it is out of date but has great engineers and good funding to improve.Engineering management is great.Company management is radical left, no freedom to think outside the politically correct line of thought defined by the company/CEO. Also, you are literally forced to stay in slack channels in which they(the small group of people that has permission to speak up) blatantly talk about what politic they're going to vote. Disgusting, really. Nobody can even mention anything like this, we are literally forbidden to do so by the CEO->"At upwork [controversial topics are] not up for debate". The workplace culture is a bit toward the professional side for a software company, which usually is a bit more relaxed, your millage may vary, of course.The hardest part of the job specially at the beginning is getting to know all the different components and teams, which becomes second nature after 90 days or so.The most enjoyable part of the job is that according to seniority you have the freedom to suggest and implement technical changes that improve the stack.

Upwork insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Keeps me busy in my freetime and has given me the ability to not only choose my own price range but my own hours as well. I know my worth and Upwork allows me to follow through with it.

Pros

Work your own hours

Cons

Bit rough finding legit work

P4of3ssional

It is a good place for the professional freelancers. Customers from all over the world are looking for remote worker at upwork. If you are able to find a professional customer or agency, you can earn and learn good.

Impossible to get a job

Impossible to get hired for anything anymore. So many of the offers are not legit. You only find out after you have spent your tokens to apply that the "company" offering the job is fake. Easy tell is that once you submit an offer and get a response back, the "employer" will require you to contact them offline from Upwork. Unfortunately, I would say DON'T waste your time!

Pros

Freelance

Cons

Illegitimate offers - impossible to get a job through them

productive and excellent environment

Upwork is an excellent place for any freelancer to grow, excel, and soar. I have attained great work experience, met great clients, some bad, but mostly great clients. I have enjoyed working on technical tasks and delivering beyond the expectation of the client.

Excellent

Excellent. great work/life balance, exceptional culture, room for growth, supportive environment, best freelancing site there is, very happy to work with Upwork

Good

Good opportunities and a chance to work from home. I love working with different people on a variety of projects. It is meaningful work and I love the freedom and flexibility of being a freelance writer.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Hard to start

International Competition is Hard... but if you try hard...

you can reach a point where you will control your work and you will gain more than enough to live

Good Freelance platform

Great freelancing platform that helps bridge the gap between jobs. Great to find diverse tasks and gives you as much flexibility in that you are your own boss.

Pros

Ultimate flexibility, they support wage disputes and make sure everyone is happy.

Cons

They take 20% off the top of your wages, don't give you any tax form support.

Best job ever

worked in this company for more than seven years, and I enjoyed their work environment and culture. Although the work load was always there but everyday was a new day to learn. I did many certifications and adopted several professional techniques to groom myself. I will always want to go back to Sybrid ltd if I get a chance.

Freelance writing

It’s ok , get out what you put in. Freelance writing. Got work, low pay to start. Work with the largest network of independent professionals and get things done—from quick turnarounds to big transformatio

Pros

Wfh

Cons

Hard to get work

Fun but complicated

It is very exciting to be able to do freelance work, being able to make money off of art projects asked for by others. However it can be difficult to find projects at times and some people can be hard to negotiate pay with.

Great place to find jobs

Upwork is a platform where talents and businesses meet. It’s a great way to connect with clients and find challenging writing projects. I found long-term clients here that give consistent writing tasks.

Pros

You can get long-term projects

Cons

Exchange rate is lower compared to paypal

Best Freelancing

Great place for independent recruiters to find new candidate as well as clients. If you know how to catch great candidates and clients upwork is the best place to do it

Great team and amazing culture

-Incredible team and people to work for-Amazing culture. People are inclusive and genuinely want to help each other succeed-Strong mission of bringing economic opportunity to people across the globe-Growing, winning teams-Great WFH environment with support to help people stay connected-Best onboarding program I've ever seen-Great benefits!

Fun work

Working on upwork has been fun and productive at the same time because I have the opportunity to work at my own pace,there is increase in level of my thinking and it's giving me all joy to be more closer to the technology

The time flexibility it offers is great.

clearing of my daily goals and tasks.Everyday is a learning day.Management is a personal and daily goal.There is an amazing work culture.I don't find anything hard since I enjoy my work.Taking up new tasks and projects.

Pros

Flexible time.

Cons

Healthcare

It's what you make out of it

Upwork as a platform really is what you make out of it. It can be really good for you, or terrible. The issue is that there are so many scams posted. The best way to avoid these are to check if their payment is verified. But sometimes this doesn't work so it can be a tough experience. But the positives of flexibility, being your own boss, and remote location is a positive.

Pros

Flexable, Remote, be your own boss.

Cons

Sift through scam posts.

Productive and Innovative Company

I love working at Upwork. It is a very caring environment that is also very inclusive. I enjoy working virtually with my team and being part of their development.

Good place to learn valuable freelance skills

Enjoyed my time being a freelancer on the site, good options for new freelancers to earn skills and clients in order to build up experience and potentially branch out on your own

Common questions about Upwork

Answered by current and former employees at Upwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss