Upwork Employee Reviews

Great platform except one thing!!!
Freelance (Former Employee) –  ShenzhenDecember 28, 2018
Upwork is great platform.
Only A Bad Thing.
Upwork has a Freelancer evaluation standard called Job Score.
Recently I was hired by a client at Upwork and I completed what he wanted in two days.
But he changed the requirements. For that, I had to start the project again from the beginning.
Since then he has raised very difficult technical requirements and said that if he can not implement it, he can not pay.
Of course I could, but with pride I refunded all the money and canceled the project.
This cancel affects my job score and makes it very difficult to get another job.

There is a saying in East Asia.
A person throws a small stone without thinking, but the frog that is stoned by it is in the between the life and death.
Demotivating work environment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 15, 2018
Upwork's culture is different depending on which location you work out of. They lack good management and only focus on growing employees that are excelling in large teams. There are employees on smaller teams that are understaffed for the workload and often overlooked. There is little to no work life balance for some team members. Upwork's Executive HR team is unapproachable starting from the very top with their SVP. HR's subset of teams rarely work together toward one common goal or as one large team. Upwork can be a good place to work again depending on the location, team you work with and if you get a good manager.
Don't get me wrong there are some great people to work with at Upwork.
Benefits
Cons
No work life balance
Great Place If You Get Lucky
Freelance Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 13, 2018
Upwork is a website that has many users on it. It's hard to find a job that 20-30 other people applied for and there isn't really a requirement for a resume to be examined. You seach for jobs you like, you submit a proposal, and wait to see if the person gets back to you. The website takes out 20% of your pay so when I was asking for $10/hr I was really making $8. Some clients are great to work with, some will get in contact with you and never talk to you again. It's truly hit or miss and not a place I would recommend looking for work if you want something high-paying or full time.
Pros
At home, at your convenience, low human interaction, anyone can do it
Cons
low salary, not consistent
Freelance job..
Freelance Worker (Current Employee) –  Home BasedDecember 12, 2018
It's a site that connects freelancer to those who need work done. The pay is minimum and there are no benefits. While it allowed me to work from home, which I need due to a seizure disorder, I am needing a more reliable income.
The part that I liked best was that you got to work on different projects and learn new things.
I didn't always enjoy having to hunt for a job or being approached by people who wanted to hire me for work which I was not comfortable doing.
Pros
work from home
Cons
low pay, competitive
Competitive & low pay
FREELANCE WRITING, INDEPENDANT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 13, 2018
The best thing UpWork offers is flexibility. While some employers do offer full time and long-term job opportunities, the market is extremely competitive and depending on skills sets and time on UpWork, it is hard to find more long-term jobs. Also, unfortunately, because of the competitive nature, the pay can be extremely low. There are no benefits or paid time off options.

However, the system is very easy to use both in applying for and submitting work, and UpWork's escrow model protects contractors from being taken advantage of.

I would mostly recommend UpWork for those looking for part-time work with flexible hours.
I love working here
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHAugust 2, 2018
Working at UpWork has given me the opportunity to really hone my skills and set a future career path for myself. I have learned a great deal about time management and I've been given the opportunity to be in management-type positions and learn from them. It is also extremely easy to be paired with jobs because of how specifically the site creates your resume.
Pros
flexible schedule, ability to change positions frequently, ability to move to managerial positions faster
Cons
no benefits, usually contract and temporary work
Go somewhere else! Upwork is horrible
Contractor (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 30, 2018
The company does a horrible job of taking care of their workers and they should be disgraced to call themselves customer service reps when they provide no customer service at all. Go somewhere else there are many other platforms.
Cons
Low pay, no support, no benefits
Website full of scams and bad people
Copywriter (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 22, 2018
Avoid at any cost, the bad website full of scammers and bad clients who don't pay. Bad work ethics and "professional" clients that don't know what to do.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Bad clients, low salary, bad work ethic
Great working place
Freelance Content Creator/ Copywriter/ Editor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2018
Good employers listed, nice opportunities, fair compensation on per hour basis. It really depends on you to reach out to clients and to network in order to get the best opportuities
Great option for work/life balance
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 27, 2018
Great platform to advance in a field. Takes a bit to get started, but after enough time and effort, I love it. I wish there was a good amount of insurance benefits.

Want to know more about Upwork?

Ask a question
UPwork provides a lot of work for a qualified worker
Appointment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJuly 25, 2018
Upwork is a job platform where individual contractors looking for work and employers placing job requirements.

Upwork gets 20% of the total client bill.
Pros
A lot of potential work
Cons
No benefits, slow to respond
Stressful
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 11, 2018
Pay is incredibly low for the amount of work thrown at you. I really liked some projects but time doesn't allow for high quality work. Some of the work that you get is so interesting and I feel like I personally grew a lot given the variety of work I was able to get. But, it's not a place you can work if it's your only income. Each writing project will require a lot of time and even if you think you have time, it is so emotionally draining that it's difficult to maintain a consistent writing pace.
Pros
Easy platform to use
Cons
Horrible compensation, can't survive on it
they will pay you hourly
virtual Assistant (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2018
they usually pay you hourly, Job may bit complicated but they provide a pre recorded on how to do the Job. and the salary its depend if you want per week or monthly.
Flexible working time with less stress
Freelance Contractor (Home Based) (Current Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 5, 2018
Working in home based is a great opportunity. I am earning a lot and gives me flexible time of work. I learned a lot since I start here. But I think I need to explore more and improve myself that's why I am taking a risk to study again and change my career path
Pros
Less stress, Flexible time, High earnings, No traffic, More time to family
Cons
can't improve more my skills, no social life, no benefits
Homebased Virtual Assistant
Virtual Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
Working at home with the help of Upwork, made my life meaningful.

I learned that you can work and continue your career goals at the comfort of your home.

It's fast-paced and challenging.

The hardest part of the job is fighting your self to not to sleep. Imagine, you are working hard and then suddenly the rain falls? And you are seeing your bed beside you? That's hellish. lol!

The most enjoyable part of working at home is you can work at the comfort of your own. PJ's, barefoot and a cup of coffee with your most relaxing sit ever.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Healthcare
Good for online work and short term projects
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2018
This is good place for those with the technical know how of various computer applications. However you are completing on a world stage with overseas folks that work for less compensation. Beware of jobs you apply for as some scams slips through the cracks.
Never use this site
Freelance Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  UTApril 10, 2018
My account was deactivated because I accepted money via paypal after a client requested to do so. There were no warnings or discussions and I cannot contact them about this matter. They are a money grabbing company that only wants their percent you are merely a number to them
Cons
No benefits, no leniency, zero customer support
Project Based Work
Medical Biller/Coder (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 3, 2018
Working through Upwork its ok. You choose your own pay rate but Upwork has a 20% fee which makes what you earn a bit on the lower side. It has its perks, you can get hired on the spot and start working the next day.
Pros
Work from home, decent pay
Cons
20% fee, lack of stable jobs, too competitive
Not paid what you're worth at this company
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJuly 21, 2018
Cliques exist within management and they only advance individuals they deem worthy within their own circle. Everyone else has no real opportunity for advancement. They are currently replacing real program managers in the US with cheap offshore labor in the Philippines. They are willing to sacrifice quality service for their Enterprise clients in order to pay cheaper wages and save money.
A great place for creative individuals
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Jasper, ALDecember 20, 2018
As a writer, Upwork.com provided a great platform for me to stretch my skills. During a time where my talent isn't needed as much, I've been able to fall back on this company many times for work.
Pros
Flexible work/life balance
Cons
N9ne

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.7Career Opportunities

4.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight