Upwork Employee Reviews

A very greedy corporation.
Freelance (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 3, 2019
I would not recomend any one using this services. As one of the top freelancers on this site I for several years now this site is dedicated in squeezing every penny they can from the workers. They charge the workers 20% which means workers are encouraged to charge more money to clients keep up with their cost of living. Now they are charging the freelancers to send resumes in to job post. The major problem with this is the site host a lot of fake job posting it posting that go unanswered. This means freelancers are to throw money away in hope that they will get a a real job posting and that they will be responded to.
Pros
Cons
Expensive
No contact info at all
Freelance (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 24, 2019
No customer service
Cannot find any human contact anywhere
No help in the community centers
They import your contact infor without asking you
Impossible to delete the account
Stay very far away
Support agent (Former Employee) –  Mountain ViewFebruary 26, 2019
Worst company ever. If you have half a brain you stay very far away from Upwork.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Poor Ethics
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 4, 2019
Warning, UpWork's entire system is not based on a foundation of trust. Freelancers can remove bad reviews and they hide this fact from their clients (Companies). Do a quick Google search on removing bad reviews. What does this tell you about the company you may consider working for? This is the only piece of information you need to know to put the rest of the pieces together. If UpWork is willing to be dishonest to their clients who are paying them by ghosting bad (but valuable) reviews, then how do you think they will treat you? After all, it is their clients that are paying them and they treat them poorly.

I was trained to teach our reps to hide this fact from our clients (companies) who called to complain that their review was not showing up. And they could only find out that the review was ghosted by logging into Google Incognito. The system engineers intentionally developed the program to hide this fact from clients (companies).

UpWork then learned to manipulate the system so they ghosted the review to the company so the Company saw the review (unless they checked Google Incognito) but it was hidden from everyone else.

Again, what does this tell you about a company's ethics? I wasted an enormous amount of time interviewing with this company but I found their ethics repugnant and utterly disgusting.

Go work somewhere else unless you are the type of sleazeball who steal your Grandma's social security checks. If you are, then you will fit right in.
Rubbish company
Nothing (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, MDJanuary 23, 2019
Absolute rubbish! Applied at least 3 times with a properly completed profile to constantly be told that my profile has been rejected. Just because I have over 4 years of experience and ask for more than 10 dollars per hour, it does not mean that my profile should be rejected... Oh yes, I forgot that you mainly want to hire third-country super cheap labour who work for pennies.

Beside that, the pay is low and the commission they charge (20% + bank fees) is not great either.

Would not recommend!
customer service
Service a la clientel (Former Employee) –  Santo domingoJanuary 18, 2019
Your company stood out when I was researching the leading electronics companies in the country. I am aware of your dedication to the development of innovative consumer products and I believe that this role would be the perfect fit considering my strong design background.
terrible
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  homeJanuary 13, 2019
terrible support and protection they make sure that you dont get a protection from bad clients or unfair feedback !! when I complain they even punish you more and treat you like a slave
Good freelance area
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 11, 2019
I enjoyed working on the site Upwork. It allowed me to interact with many different clients from around the world and gave me a pretty god maount of money.
Website full of scams and bad people
Copywriter (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 22, 2018
Avoid at any cost, the bad website full of scammers and bad clients who don't pay. Bad work ethics and "professional" clients that don't know what to do.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Bad clients, low salary, bad work ethic
cheater rip-off
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 7, 2018
very bad payment

Go somewhere else there are many other platforms.

It's very hard getting jobs on UpWork.

I do not recommend UpWork to anyone. Don't waste your time on a useless site.
Go somewhere else! Upwork is horrible
Contractor (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 30, 2018
The company does a horrible job of taking care of their workers and they should be disgraced to call themselves customer service reps when they provide no customer service at all. Go somewhere else there are many other platforms.
Cons
Low pay, no support, no benefits
Not A Good Place
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 22, 2018
I have submitted 7 proposals and every one of them have been denied. I bid less than their budget and I have experience but nobody will give me a chance to show I can do the work. This company sucks! The people posting projects don't really want to pay workers to do the work! It's very hard getting jobs on UpWork. I do not recommend UpWork to anyone. Don't waste your time on a useless site. I would give 0 stars if I could.
remote
Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 20, 2018
As a Pro freelancer, I am working hard to get Top Rated.
But upwork police is very complex, hence I can't reach out to ideal project I want and requires my experiences.
Not a good place to work at all!
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2018
They seem to be racist and only hire, non-Black writers. Their willfully ignorant to say the least.

Their system of weeding out individuals in partial and self-serving. I wouldn't recommend anyone work of write for this company!
Pros
Notjing
Cons
Platform's support is beyond useless
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  Winston, ILJuly 29, 2018
After months of not using the platform's account, I find out it's suspended. No reason why.

Contact support, get a one-phrase response with a blank "oh, it's you".

Been a great use of my time.
Cons
Bad support
Badly run company
Virtual Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 18, 2018
Poorly run. No transparency. They'll cut you off whether you violated policy or not (In this case, I didn't, and I had good reviews). I was grandfathered in when they converted from Elance to Upwork, and within two days (and I had a good rating on Elance) before I even managed to bid for a project, my membership was revoked. It's apparently their policy that they can kick you off without cause and without telling you. Took another month to get all of my information deleted from their database. Support is awful to talk to. Would never recommend this company to anyone.
Absurd policy
Freelance (Former Employee) –  WorldwideMay 18, 2018
If you don't use the service enough, your account will be deleted. The bidding is very low. A policy is needed to prevent low rates. Changed to Upwork from Elance.
Cons
Very low rate
Upwork is not a good site for freelancing
Designer (Former Employee) –  AmericaApril 27, 2018
If you are trying to look for jobs online or freelance please do not use upwork.

- up work do not accept any new accounts mainly because there are already so many freelancers and less jobs available for me.

- I have been working on upwork for a year now and honesty I have never been disappointed with a freelancing site this much. If you create an account in upwork at 2018 you will not get a job until 2019. Trust me.

- Upwork has to many freelancers and less jobs. Most of the real jobs are taken by the high rated freelancers and beginners are left with scam jobs and fake jobs.

-Upwork suspends an account quickly. If you do not use it for a month, your profile will not be visible. If you send to many proposals you get suspended. If you login in another IP address you get suspended and there is nothing you can do about it.

Moreover, upwork has rarely any real jobs. You get 60 connects per month and every job proposal takes 2 connects which is the most trashy policy i have ever come across. Like as freelancers 20% of our earnings are given to you and yet you want to only fix an approx for 30 jobs per month.

How ridiculous?

Up work is going downhill honestly and I wouldn't even suggest it to my enemy.

I would never work with upwork ever again.
Cons
Es la peor plataforma en la que jamás estuve registrada
freelancer (Former Employee) –  FreelancerApril 13, 2018
Realmente quedé más que decepcionada de la plataforma cuando un día recibí una notificación de que habían decidido borrar mi perfil de forma definitiva porque nunca me habían contratado a pesar de mis muchas propuestas.

Fue una decisión de pura maldad y de ignorancia, parece que no supieran que cada proyecto recibe unas treinta propuestas, como si fuera fácil lograr que te contraten.

Esta decisión que upwork tomó cercenó mis posibilidades laborales de una forma vil y sin sentido. Yo solo quería trabajar y dar lo mejor de mí. Tengo varios clientes, quienes están todos muy satisfechos con mis trabajos, pero quería ampliar la cartera y también incorporar proyectos más desafiantes, algo que upwork me negó.

Realmente los considero de lo peor, no podría decir que tienen una pésima calidad humana, porque directamente no la tienen, están robotizados. Una verdadera porquería.
Pros
gran variedad de proyectos
Cons
Que te echan de la plataforma por nada, incluso cuando te comportas de forma adecuada y cumples con todas las reglas.
Never use this site
Freelance Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  UTApril 10, 2018
My account was deactivated because I accepted money via paypal after a client requested to do so. There were no warnings or discussions and I cannot contact them about this matter. They are a money grabbing company that only wants their percent you are merely a number to them
Cons
No benefits, no leniency, zero customer support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

4.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight