Upwork Employee Reviews

Horrible place
Translator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 3, 2018
20percent commissions of each job pay. Which ends up super low pay. Each clients are headache. Some ask free job. Some ask to do redo the work for free. It’s just full of headache. Not worth the time and money. Not much of job posts. A lot of scammers post jobs. I got scam and it was asking money... another time it was marketing company collect emails and sell my email so I ended up getting tons of junk emails... upwork allows scammers to post jobs but they won’t allow anyone to apply for the jobs.. anyhow upwork is not the best place to find job as freelancer. Go to different sites!!
Cons
Low pay. Clients are rude and lack of communication. Pay check takes forever
Productive, youth oriented
Audio Visual Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 1, 2018
Good group of people, fun activities. Free lunch and Friday beer busts. Hard to make a difference in the way things are done. Growing too fast for their own good.
Pros
Free lunch each day
Cons
Very competitive culture
Its Ok but not great
Freelance (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 28, 2018
Pros:

Work Life Balance
Can typically work at any time of day
I have met some great clients
I feel like my skill set is useful
The Platform and software work great for time tracking, billing and getting paid especially on especially fixed price work which is escrowed.

Cons:
Very competitive in my space.
Feel like I have to be very quick to apply for a job that matches
A lot of clients are unresponsive to all once they post jobs
Clients expect expert level work for lower than market pay
20% fee on hourly is high
Difficult to advance
Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2018
UpWork presents a virtual environment in which you compete with a global marketplace. It is a freelance environment and that means that your are your own boss.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
no benefits
not good
Freelance Digital Artist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 26, 2018
It isn't good. It's actually bad in fact. Not good at all. Don't work here. They severely undervalue creative work. Upwork? More like upchuck. Bad company. :(
bad
Cons
not good
Upwork is one of the great platform from which freelancers can earn.
Freelance Writer and Editor (Current Employee) –  SindhFebruary 23, 2018
The Upwork is quite competitive, it needs a lot of time in biding on the jobs and grab a project. But, it makes the individual competitive and responsible to the job.
UpWork - for contract work
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Parker, COFebruary 14, 2018
UpWork is a great place to find contract work in a variety of fields. It is very competitive and alot of people apply to the same jobs. If you have expertise and years of experience then you can find contract opportunities. I never found full-time opportunities with one company through UpWork which is what I am pursuing now.
Pros
Contract work done anywhere, you name your hourly wage
Cons
20% fee per contract until you meet a set amount of hours
Safe and secured freelancing flatform
Writer, Data Entry, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 6, 2018
Offers legitimate employers and jobs which pays well most of the time. However, some policies being implemented are difficult to comply with due to the rapid increase of freelancer pool.
Pros
Legit work
Cons
Paid membership gives better access to jobs on top of service charges
Formerly ODesk.Com, the best place to thrive as a freelance writer
Freelance Content Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 5, 2018
I have been working with this website for roughly five years. They allow me to gain access to a vast array of writing, editing, transcribing projects, not only nationally but globally.

You are essentially a hired gun, but if you enjoy working for yourself and building your client base in so many different capacities (not just writing) then I don't think there is a website that can hold a candle to UpWork.Com.

David Gross
Pros
So many job opportunities it is overwhelming at first
Cons
There is no one there to hold your hand.
Excellent Workplace
Online Freelance Marketplace (Former Employee) –  Online ResearchFebruary 5, 2018
Great Freelance Site. The best online site I've ever known. I've learned to communicate with the client to have a productive output. I learned to handle pressure when it comes to submission of reports and documents.
UpWork-It'll Work for You, but You Might Not Want It To
Freelance Writer and Copyeditor (Former Employee) –  Online, USAFebruary 1, 2018
What can be said about UpWork? It's a loose collective of free-lance workers of (heavily-) varying stages of experience, and the average client can be described with similarly noncommittal language. All-in-all, it's not a bad gig, even if they take waaay too much out of your check as a "facilitator's" of "finder's" fee, and there's one, very simple reason to put up with the cut: you're actually guaranteed to be paid, unlike most of the Wild-West-Cutthroat-Gig that is freelance writing.
Pros
You get paid! You choose which contracts to work.
Cons
Massive cut from commission.
flexible work-life balance
Freelance writer, Virtual Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Home basedFebruary 1, 2018
There are too many Upwork freelancers by year 2017, it is hard to find jobs now unlike before wayback in year 2015. Competition between freelancers is a bit challenging.
Great place to work with, though have some significant flaws.
QuickBooks Online Accountant | Xero Accountant (Current Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 31, 2018
Great place to work online.
Many skills learned.
Great diversified culture.
Management failed to protect the right of freelancers at times. Especially against bad clients.
Most enjoyable when the client is good and the experience is good.
Pros
Many skills and culture
Cons
Low protection to rights of freelancers.
Great choice for freelance writing
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Competitive atmosphere but you can always find work. Clients are usually good at communicating their needs for a project and ways to go about fulfilling tasks.
Pros
You work on your own time.
Cons
The work does not include benefits.
Great
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  AnywhereJanuary 28, 2018
Working at Upwork is fun and fulfilling. The contracts are competitive and can be great if one is looking for a side gig. Have excellent conflict resolution solutions.
Very competitive place
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 28, 2018
Upwork can give a lot of experience, thats for sure. But the main drawback is that most of the clients looking for cheap abroad contractors with above median level of requirements for far far below salaries. Can recommend for junior to get practice (but beware - upwor clients don't trust new accounts and rarely hire someone with -0 hours of work there)
You will get suspended literally ANY TIME without even breaking rules.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Remote WorkJanuary 27, 2018
Your account will get suspended Without any warning for a numbers of reasons, and worst thing about Upwork is that you don't need to break any rule to get suspended! like one common reason is:

->You are Not earning enough, or not getting Job, means you will get suspended! You will receive an email saying your skills are not in demand.

(Proof: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Account-suspended-due-to-high-number-of-proposals-for-jobs/td-p/292241)

"Its the Selling Skill (required by Upwork) which is important ( to survive on upwork) than having the (relevant) Skills required by Clients. Clients require technical skills, but Upwork deliver them Salesman while keep on suspending all the technical peoples not having Selling Skill, there's the mistake, Clients has Nothing to do with your Selling skills once you get selected., all they require is technical skills.

Never ever rely on Upwork as your main source of income even if you have 5 Years old account, you can get suspended any time.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Account suspended without breaking rules, without any warning
Great for spare time
Virtual Assistant (Current Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 27, 2018
This is where I spend my spare time. To earn extra income. My boss was an American. He was very nice and considerate. Very kind and thoughtful. He tries to send me sample products for me to try.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
need to log in when there is an email even if the day is out of the schedule
Great
Virtual Assistant (Current Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 27, 2018
Great part time job. I can work any time I am available outside my work schedule. My manager has been very considerate regarding my regular job in an office.
Pros
Flexible work time
Cons
Salary
good
Virtual Assistant / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  PhilippinesJanuary 26, 2018
I don't think anyone can rely on upwork as a primary source of their income. The salary not competitive, and all work are contractual only. They can cancel your work anytime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.7Career Opportunities

4.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight