Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Helpful to consumers across all regions
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  610 Wood Street Pittsburgh PA 15222May 16, 2017
I have found that the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh is a good place to work if you enjoy Social Service and low pay. It has a high reputation for uplifting the it's community.
I am still learning the procedures and policies
Family Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duquesne, PAMay 12, 2016
For the most part, The Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh is a good company, however the salary pay for the job that I do is not enough.
Pros
Excellent programs and services.
Cons
The pay is not great.
clean fun and healthy environment
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2015
Answering and training clients on program. Answering phones, opening and sealing mail. Scheduling appointments for families. Co-workers were great to work with. Traveling when I didn't have a car. Working with the families was the most enjoyable part about the job.
This agency is a meaningful place to work. There is a strong sense of being a part of a "movement," that helps drive the mission and vision.
Department Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 27, 2015
The Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh gave me the opportunity to build my skill set through multiple promotions and added responsibilities. My knowledge of child development and family support was appreciated and my opinions relating to the success of the agency were valued by my superiors. The hardest part of my job was maintaining the viability of multiple programs when short-staffed. The most enjoyable part of my job was the day-to-day interaction with my staff. I gained a great deal of satisfaction in developing and implementing succession plans with many individuals that were then able to accept promotions or move to better opportunities. I also enjoyed working directly with program participants and partnering with them to help them meet the goals they hoped to achieve.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Available funding, low wages
Productive, fun, and a great learning experience
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 14, 2014
I would clock in,i would help set up the classroom. I would write the assignments on the board. One the children arrived we would greet each child. During class, me and my co-workers would go around and make sure each child completed each assignment successfully. after each class we would clean up and set up for the next class. At the end of the day we would clean up the classroom and plan for the next day. I learned how to be a leader, I learned patience and i also learned how to relate to children better. My manager was great he was very involved in all activities,he kept us motivated and supported us through each day. My co-works were supportive and we worked great as a team to reach our goals. The hardest part of my job was gaining authority. It was difficult trying to find the balance between trying to be a friend and still get respect from the students.The most enjoyable part of my job was gaining a friendship with each student and meeting new people.
Pros
Getting to meet new people
Cons
Progressive company with community focus
Project Manager/Site Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 27, 2014
Managed and supervised staff of 6 employees who focused on family and child development.

Co-workers generally had a pleasant attitude.

Hardest part of job was dealing with some of the unavoidable community issues.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the graditude the families showed when they reach their goals.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
When some failies tried to take advantage of the system
Productive office setting.
Job Developer/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2014
Assess customer’s needs to address identified issues.
Hired during internship and received additional responsibilities as a result of work ethic.
Open, sort, and route incoming mail, answer correspondence, and prepare outgoing mail
Type, format, proofread, and edit correspondence and other documents
Complete work schedules, manage calendars, and arrange appointments.
Review files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests.
Utilize in-house software used by both National Urban League and Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh
Assist clients in resume development
Maintain and Update filing for over 500 current and exited participants
Monitor and record clients' progress to ensure that goals and objectives are met.
Communicate and build relationships with Host Agencies and Referral Sources
Assess client employment barriers, such as inaccessible work sites, inflexible schedules, and transportation problems.
Assist clients develop strategies for overcoming barriers.
Direct and coordinate activities.
Schedule meetings for participants and host agencies
Fast-Paced Enjoyable Deadline having Enviroment that can Teach you a lot
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2012
Hard-work and Determination are the typical characteristics that take place at the Urban League. I have learned how to become organized, think on my toes, read body language and how to engage myself with people that have different levels of patience, and stress. The hardest part of my job is leaving it everyday because I love it. the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to teach and learn simultaneeously from all ages of the spectrum.
Client oriented
Receptionist/Intake Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 20, 2012
A typical workday within the Urban Leagues Housing department would include assisting and interacting with clients who are in need of rental assistance. Assisting the clients include: Answering any questions the client may have, checking the clients documentation to ensure that the client has all proper documentation to be processed for the Urban Leagues rental assistance program.
While volunteering for the Urban League my organizational skills, and communication skills have improved.
With the purpose of the Urban League to help/assist individuals
,the hardest part of the job is informing a client who is seeking rental assistance, that they don't meet the qualifications to receive rental assistance.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am able to assist the Urban League with the clients and the Urban Leagues productivity .
I had respect for the mission of the Program I was apart of.
Case manager/ Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2012
It was a really interesting, and at times trying position to fill. I got extreme satisfaction from helping the men transition from ex-con to functioning member of society. I especially appreciated it when I would see one of the men on the street,after the fact, and they would thank me for being a part of their progress.The hardest part of the job would be to find out one of my clients went back to jail, I would wonder How I could have possibly Derailed that ?The job started as an internship through Univ. of Pitts., but ended as employment,(as long as the funding held up)
Pros
the ability to find an ex-offender employment
Cons
the news that one of "my guys" went back to jail
Productive and positivework place
Assistant, career skills builder (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 15, 2012
i learned alot about using my skills,finding a job.furthering my education.