Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,138 reviews matching the search See all 1,340 reviews
Management too pushy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 21, 2018
Managers too focused on things that are not always a high priority which led to frustration, tension, and disgruntled employees constantly expected to work as a team. Too high of expectations to get things done when we are limited in our positions and restrictions.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 20, 2018
Very fun. Got to work in a fast pace environment and gain knowledge about working in fashion retail. I also got to interact with different type of people.
Amazing
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2018
What an amazing place to work. Get to be yourself while letting all your creative juices flow. The teams are all amazing and gell with each other. I love the comradery @
Unique environment, great experience for those starting out in part-time work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  TNOctober 17, 2018
Working for this brand offers associates to be themselves on the sales floor by hiring those who are inspired by current alternative/pop culture, fashion, and alternative life style. Knowledge of the products and brand is dependent solely on what you give into and absorb during your shifts. Shifts are mostly split up between greeting, fitting room, and cashier with project delegation happening during slow traffic. The workplace can be a fun environment but can be stressful during busy weekends or holidays. Great management can make these moments feel supported. Part-time pay starts a little low, but is accompanied by an amazing discount. Growth is possible but you have to be 100% reliable.
Pros
Discount, fun environment, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Retail, low part-time pay
Am I in Gap, PA?
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Gap, PAOctober 17, 2018
Only white managers, except for token Managers that speak languages of the majority cultures working there that do not speak English. While they push your quota per hour, which I would do and exceed at times, most do not and do not intend to and stay in their positions making the same per hour as I was making. You finally cannot take it anymore. They do not care if they lose hard workers.
the best working environment
Display Artist/design builder (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 16, 2018
working at Urban outfitters was a inspiring and felt like i was supported in what i was doing in my Art through art installations and creativity. made me also learn how to manage large accounts and projects
nice and relaxed environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYOctober 15, 2018
Working at UrbanOutfitters was great. The store, employees were amazing to work with. A typical day would include being stationed at one of many departments in the store and switch out with other employees every two hours. Sometimes if you were given a register shift that is all you would do for the rest of the day. Management was good, they never really breathed down your neck and watched every single thing that you did.
Love it
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJOctober 14, 2018
Love it a lot wonderful company to work for. They value their employees and promote diversity. They continue to lead the way in retail for many and support true creativity.
A relaxed, simple job with occasional spikes in activity.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2018
Urban Outfitters had a great atmosphere and a fun, caring team of employees. The hours were inconsistent from week to week, but employees are able to switch shifts with others or give up a shift with sufficient notice. Dependent on what department you are working in, a shift can be very busy or fairly relaxed.
One of the best place to work!
Sr. Database Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2018
Urban Outfitters is one of the best place to work in this country. It provided a challenging working environment along with an urban culture. The highlight would be the urban culture which is wholly accepted and encouraged through out the company.
don't believe the hype about a progressive company with room for growth
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 10, 2018
I was hired given lots of reassurance that I would be quickly promoted because of my previous experience, and told i couldn't be hired in at management level because the company was devoted to internal promotion.
I worked there for some time and did end up really liking my coworkers and direct supervisors but I was also given increasing responsibilities without compensation for close to a year before getting promoted to a team lead for a nominal raise, which still involved a great deal of being a main cashier.
I also really got the vibe you couldn't move up there without really "drinking the koolaid" in terms of upper management and corporate directives. It seemed almost cultish for a company with a reputation for being open-minded and valuing the individuality of their employees
on call shifts are also ridiculous
Pros
dress code
Cons
pay, company
Easy going and friendly environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJOctober 10, 2018
There is a chill environment with people who share the same love for clothing and accessories. you make many new connections with the customers as well as employees and gain some friends along the way.
retail
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30326October 9, 2018
This job was okay, retail is kind of boring just going around picking up after people and fixing everything people have just thrown around. You get to meet really cool people and help people get a better fashion sense.
Visuals vs. Ops
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2018
The structure of the company changed about 2 years ago. Started @ corporate; eventually trickled to the store level. After the restructure, all visual roles were eliminated in the company minus the ones in a store (if the store made over 2.5 million a year, don't get me started on the Display Artist role). Instead of have a District Manager and a District Merchandiser; they combined the role to a one District Brand Leader (DBL). They chose one of the two people in role and whoever was better, got the new combined DBL role and the other left the company (there's only one visually inclined DBL on the entire east coast). This was for regionals, stores, etc.

I was a Store Merchandiser, then a Visual Merchandising Manager. My old 'partner' became our 'partner-bosses'. But really now were just another manager with a glorified schedule. A demoted title essentially.

Once this happened, all Visual leaders lost their mentor or guide. They now had to answer to the Store Brand Leader (SBL). So what was next for us? SBL? Lame. We lacked information, training, CREDIT, & overall company goals.

It's sad to have worked for a company for seven years, starting as a sales associate, & working my way up. To now, not working for the company, & disappointed/shocked at how disposable they can treat their employees (myself included).

It's unfair how the SBL or DBL gets credit for the hard work for how a store looks yet they don't lift their finger to help. I was acting as a fake area visual and helping the other visual managers in the district with questions or knowledge I had because the
  more... DBL was completely unequipped and well didn't care about the visual side of things. It just sucks there now, all the good ones left. Myself, again, included.  less
Pros
discount, product
Cons
culture, communication
Fast pace working job
Factory (Former Employee) –  Gap, PAOctober 7, 2018
The job was very easy to learn and quick to get done. I would advance this job to a lot of people that are into packaging and mailing out material. Then going around helping others finish up their work.
Pros
Finishing work fast
Cons
Waiting on time to go by
productive and friendly workplace with fun coworkers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2018
Hours can be unpredictable, like most of retail. A lot of cleaning, boring when the store is empty. The assistant managers are normally really cool and helpful, but if the store manger isn't then it makes the job much harder. The discount is awesome and its easy to learn everything.
Pros
team social events, sometimes
Cons
short breaks, part-time only
Very friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 30, 2018
My store location did have a higher percentage of shoplifters but the managerial staff was always ready to help. My favorite part of working there was my co-workers
Productive an fun had pool table on break
Packing Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Trenton, SCSeptember 26, 2018
Working at Urban outfitter was a great experience.The staff was great
it was like we was family we work hard everyday trying to complete every tasks.
Pros
Free lunches for apperateion
Cons
Shorts break
Fun workplace, great atmosphere.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 26, 2018
Working for Urban was a good experience. Teamwork was always exercised daily. Customer service was always key in my time of working there. The Management team was always very welcoming and patient.
Pros
Great employee discount.
Cons
Short Breaks
Good place
Leader (Former Employee) –  Gap, PASeptember 26, 2018
Like the shift i worked. Relax environment with good management. Urban provides you the opportunity to advance within the company. The work is easy to do and not dreadful.
Pros
advancement
Cons
travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight