Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,188 reviews matching the search See all 1,396 reviews
Stressful and not paid enough for what is asked of us as employees of all levels.
MACC (Men's Accessories) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2019
When I first started working at the company things were much better. Even though the pay was very minimal, my hours were decent but not too much and the management/other employees were great to work with.

Towards the end of my time at the company it seemed as though the company had picked a different direction to go in. Managers left and were replaced with other managers who attempted to push older employees out for new hires, my work hours were increased to the point of basically working full time but without the benefits of full time employment. My pay had only increased 50 cents (even with my promotion) over the span of 2 years and we were asked to do much more than what we were paid for.

Discounts and employee appreciation time periods were also being cut by the time I left.
don't believe the hype about a progressive company with room for growth
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 10, 2018
I was hired given lots of reassurance that I would be quickly promoted because of my previous experience, and told i couldn't be hired in at management level because the company was devoted to internal promotion.
I worked there for some time and did end up really liking my coworkers and direct supervisors but I was also given increasing responsibilities without compensation for close to a year before getting promoted to a team lead for a nominal raise, which still involved a great deal of being a main cashier.
I also really got the vibe you couldn't move up there without really "drinking the koolaid" in terms of upper management and corporate directives. It seemed almost cultish for a company with a reputation for being open-minded and valuing the individuality of their employees
on call shifts are also ridiculous
Pros
dress code
Cons
pay, company
Must be a team player
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2018
False hopes of growth. You work long hours and usually aren't appreciated for the work you do. You learn a lot in this role, but the management can make or break the role. If you are tasked with too much work, they continue to pile on the work.
Great perks, discounts, and benefits.
Pros
discount on product
Cons
long hours, too much work
Excellent place to work for retail!
lead sales associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 31, 2018
Urban Outfitters is an excellent company and an awesome place to work! The management and co workers are some of the best people you will ever meet and many have become my good friends. If you commit to it, you can accumulate many hours, however during the slower seasons for retail hours can be difficult to come by depending on your standing and department. The compensation was not the best however there was a holiday bonus provided to each employee (awesome) and opportunities for additional hours if you put forth the time and investment into the store. One thing no other retail store can touch is the diverse and rich culture of Urban Outfitters. Any and all people are accepted here and because of this, the cohesion between the entire team was fun and eye opening.
Pros
Excellent discounts and products, strong brand, wonderful co workers
Cons
compensation, lack of hours during some seasons, lack of benefits or paid time off
Worst job ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 24, 2018
Lead you on and lied to you about 2 promotions that were promised but never followed up on, didn't get a raise after a year of working there, unfair hours, awful management.
Its not a bad place to work
Maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 3, 2018
Not a bad place to work, benefits are good, plenty of hours to work, a lot of good people that you work with, lots of over time, plus personal days that are paid for,
Pros
Good benefits
Fun and laid back
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Johns, FLJune 13, 2018
Working at Urban varies between slow and fast-paced. During holiday season, it gets busy but is still fun. During slow season, I don't get a lot of hours which I don't like, but that's why I have another job- so I can continue working there while still paying the bills. I really like the discount benefits of working there, including employee appreciation period, one of the main reasons I'm still working there. I've talked to managers about moving up in the company, like as a manager for a department, but it's never gone anywhere, so I don't think this is a good job for moving-up opportunities unless you plan on working there for several years.
Pros
Pizza parties for match-rate goal being met, 60% off 3 items each month, plus other employee discounts. Not very difficult.
Cons
Doesn't schedule enough, no opportunities to move up, can get boring at times.
Company culture not what it used to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 3, 2018
Like many retailers UO eliminated most of the creative positions in the stores, putting more work on current employees. There are not enough district or regional managers and nobody is leading the visual procedures in the stores. Corporate Office communication is shoved out, messy, and reactionary. There is a lot of busy work and documenting for upper management. UO used to be a company that treated employees like family. That company culture left with most of the tenured employees.
Pros
Like-minded peers, good benefits, travel, creativity
Cons
Constant payroll cuts, ruthless upper management, toxic home office
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2018
The job culture and company is on point. Management and coworkers all work together as a team. It bring creative, artistic, like minded people together.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Few benefits
Cool job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 2, 2019
Fun place to work for east money.
You could never live of the salary but great for students
chill place
fun co-workers
nice discount
typical day at UO cashier and keep store tidy
Fun and collaborative environment for all people.
Men's Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 21, 2018
Urban Outfitters is an amazing retail space like no other. We have a very diverse staff that collaborate on projects and have shared fate. Customers are our number one and we train to give the best, genuine service.
Pros
Awesome benefits for full time employees and good discounts.
Fast pace job
Packer (Former Employee) –  Trenton, SCAugust 20, 2018
This was a great job with great benefits but there relocated to upper state. I really miss it because the money was great and it was a lot to live off of
Pros
Great money and benefits
Ehh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 22, 2018
Personally at my location my managers sucked and made false promises to promote or give you a raise/more hours.
The only fun part was merchandising the floor when we got new shipment and dressing the mannequins. other then that the job is boring.
Pros
discount at urban outfitters, anthropology, and free people
Cons
no growth potential
They make you work hard but never will that matter to get off on time, instead you work over time regardless.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 23, 2018
I worked at Urban for a good amount of time to know and say they aren't what they say they are. Your schedule for inbound will never be 6:30am-3pm. It's non stop 6:30 to 5pm! Not enough time for appointments, bank and basically anything else that closes at 5. One thing wrong and people will spread rumors faster than you even know it. Management and supervisors won't treat everyone equally. Safety is their "#1 concern" but in reality they don't care if you get hurt cause they won't pay or help with any future medical bills. No matter the reason for being 1 minute late or even 5 seconds to clock in they will still give you an occurrence! The pay isn't worth it and neither are the yearly raises. Same job skills are needed at different jobs with BETTER PAY and better management, better environment overall. Don't stop here to apply, keep on looking.
Pros
Benefits and discount are great.
Cons
Short breaks, don't treat you fairly, management is horrible. Favoritism. Over time hours are crazy! Peak season never ends.
Fun and Fast Paced
Women's Department Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJune 16, 2018
Excellent family vibes and creativity with all employees and management. I was doing work for management and getting paid as an associate, which drove me to go back to school to get out of retail. Fun place to work to get through college, but compensation was not fair.
Unique environment, great experience for those starting out in part-time work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  TNOctober 17, 2018
Working for this brand offers associates to be themselves on the sales floor by hiring those who are inspired by current alternative/pop culture, fashion, and alternative life style. Knowledge of the products and brand is dependent solely on what you give into and absorb during your shifts. Shifts are mostly split up between greeting, fitting room, and cashier with project delegation happening during slow traffic. The workplace can be a fun environment but can be stressful during busy weekends or holidays. Great management can make these moments feel supported. Part-time pay starts a little low, but is accompanied by an amazing discount. Growth is possible but you have to be 100% reliable.
Pros
Discount, fun environment, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Retail, low part-time pay
A everyday thing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 17, 2018
Urban Outfitters is a company that gives youngster a great work environment. They're very flexible with hours especially with working students. They also give you the benefits to explore your artistic self and give the team new ideas to help the company grow.
Pros
1 hour breaks
Cons
no health benefits to full time workers
Terrible employment riddled with favoritism
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 8, 2019
The Lexington location is a huge mess. The culture there is if you are bffs with management then you’ll be given opportunities. If you go in and do your job above expectations don’t expect any recognition. Also do not ever get on the bad side of management for any reason or else you WILL be pushed out. Ridiculous, full of previlaged, awkward and entitled people. Everyone is young, it is like joining a high school cult.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Not full time except management; no recognition for hard work, disgusting work areas (restroom and break room), LAZY employees, immature management
Boulder Location versus Mall of America Location
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 10, 2018
I was previously hired at the Mall of America location in Bloomington, MN and absolutely loved my coworkers, managers and overall the way it was run. I would work at that location full time if I could. When I moved back to Boulder for college, I was transferred to the Pearl St. location. The transfer was an easy process and I got started quickly. Unfortunately, the atmosphere in the work environment was not good. The managers were always an issue and the coworkers were rarely happy to be working there. Overall, it was a negative switch from the MOA location and I decided to leave because of these many problems. I am currently a seasonal sales associate at the MOA location (when I go home from college for breaks) and really do love it there, cannot say the same for the Boulder location.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, scheduling, unhappy work environment.
I have never felt so exploited, under utilized and belittled
Shipment manager/Product Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 25, 2018
I started my journey with the company in hopes to begin a career path that ultimately became the carrot dangled in front of me on my path that lead to no where. The company structure is that of psychological manipulation and condescending deception. A false team structure environment combined with a seemingly criminal under-compensatory structure aside I tried to remain optimistic that the promise of my on the job training would one day pay off. The shallow veneer of progressive, forward thinking empathy hides the true nature of the company which is mired in greed, nothing is what it seems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Urban Outfitters Inc..

Powered by Comparably