Urban Plates Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Nice company in between jobs
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Playa Vista, CAAugust 6, 2018
Urban Plates provided a good learning experience for people of all age groups and job titles.I would recommend it to anyone looking to work in the culinary arts business.
Pros
Cons
Lack of hours
Its ok if you are in college or are not a hard workere and just want to have an easy job
Lead Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 31, 2018
If you like to get underpaid and work with arrogant mangament then go right and ahead apply for the job. No creativity if that's what you are looking for definitely dont apply. It's ok if you are a college student or like to do the same thing over and over again day in day out with management that are clearly not qualified for the job.
Pros
Health insurance free soda
Cons
Arragont management corporate are a joke
Fast-paced, at times disorganized, but positive
Busser, Cashier, and Host (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 26, 2018
I was one of the first employees hired to open the Urban Plates that went in the Forum in Carlsbad. The restaurant was often in a perpetual state of disorganization and I was called in more than once a week to fill shifts that weren't necessarily my job title. However, the staff and management were all kind and respectful and I received fair wages (with tips!) which was more than I expected as a high school student. I also hear from former coworkers that the place has really nailed its system down and runs much more smoothly.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Scheduling
Fast Paced and Satisying
Lead Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 3, 2018
pastry and cake production for FOH service
lots of management from different directions
friendly BOH kitchen experience
hardest part of the job was training new employees and not allowing standards to slack while doing so
Terrible Place to Work
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Judgmental Management. That's bad news for anyone who has any sense of individuality. I would advise staying away from these places. The food isn't fresh. It is all pre-packaged.
It was cool
Busser (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 9, 2018
it was a cool job. bussed tables and made money while in school. used my tips to get me through the tougher times so that helped out. food was good and the employees are now some of my best friends so it was a good experience overall
It's okay
Busser/Greeter/Cash (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2017
Staff's friendly and atmosphere/music is great. The food is on the healthy side which is good. I did not prefer being a busser but I am always good on the register and engaging with the guests being the greeter.
Fun and challenging
Grill Operator/Broiler cook (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2017
I had to work hard but the atmosphere was good... Excellent food..the managing teams were strong... The chefs are teamworkers and very knowledgeable... The staff was great, very friendly and helpful... Professional environment... Great prices and selection of entrees and desserts... Fine side orders
Pros
Pay, hour, people
Cons
Variation of shifts
Growing Company still working it out
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CANovember 10, 2017
Growing Company still working it out, Good people who are passionate about making scratch food, facilities have great equipment, quality products, Fast paced
Pros
Opportunity, growth, good food
Cons
Fast Growth still working out systems
Kinda stressful but otherwise very nice
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 3, 2017
The low pay, stressful work, lack of benefits, and hours weren't worth the employment in my opinion. I had a good time bonding with the other employees. However, it was still very, very, very stressful.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no benefits, low pay, stressful pace
Employees are fun and friendly, but its hard work.
Line Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 20, 2017
Management could be better at helping the employees with day to day work. The employees are friendly and fun to work with. Rushes can last for about 2-3 hours.
Pros
enjoyable co-workers
Cons
stressful customers
Great Job for College Students
Cashier (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMay 10, 2017
Its a cashier job, nothing more nothing less . The people are fun but again its a cashier job. Great for students looking for a job. You also get 50% off food which is nice.
bad place to work
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Del Mar, CAMarch 10, 2017
employees suck so those of us that are real chefs have to work twice as hard. horrible work environment, hard work not enough pay. managers lie about everything, seasoned employees sabotage the new hopefuls...
Cafe Style Restaurant
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2017
Typical work day was about 6 hours.I prepared meat on a grill and sides in sauté pans. Everyone there was entry level in their positions. Management was very energetic .
Pros
Discounted meals. Access to recipes
Cons
No room for advancement. Lack of hours. Late hours.
Urban plates
Jr Sous Chef / Line cook (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Great job but cutting hours. I been here almost a year and climbed up the work place as Jr sous chef. Management has a lot of politics
Great work environment
Busser (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CADecember 5, 2016
I served drinks and assisted customers. I bused tables, washed dishes, set up, restocked, and cleaned the tables and stations. i had great employees i worked with and the manager was always helpful. Even during the busy and stressful hours, my employees and I were able to work together to get the job done.
Pros
Free lunches, good hours
Cons
Didn't get to keep tips
fast paced but fun
Line Cook/New Restaurant Opening Trainer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 9, 2016
I enjoyed my time here, i built a bond with both co workers and customers and also learned a lot about food and the food industry as well. worked in an open kitchen environment where there was little to no room for error.
Pros
Built strong bonds and learned a lot about food
Cons
extremely long hours, was higher level getting paid same as entry level
Summary
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 17, 2016
In theory great company with key personnel who truly believe in the brand. Operations is tasked with a large responsibility on top of a full production made from scratch kitchen.
Pros
Lots of responsibility
Cons
Support
Exciting and upbeat environment to work in.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Del Mar, CASeptember 11, 2016
Couldn't ask for a better team to have worked with. Food was amazing, staff was the best.
Loved my job.
Management was fair.
Pay was fair.
Pros
Meeting all kinds of people
Cons
Not enough hours
Awesome environment and everyone helps out!
Cashier/Barback (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 22, 2016
I love working here. Im a cashier mostly and make minimum wage. Yet, I am so happy! I quit another job I was working for at the same time as this one based on the energy and environment. It seems like everyone's happy to be here. Everyone helps out and management is awesome. I love how willing they are to accommodate your schedule with school etc. Hardest part of the job? Cleaning gross drains. Not much to complain about otherwise, obviously.