Urbn Leaf Employee Reviews

Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  Bay Park, CAAugust 7, 2019
Been working here close to 2 years. I have received two raises in that time and a promotion to shift lead. Wages aren’t great but this is a start up and things have improved drastically since the start of my employment. You just need to put you head down work hard and things will take care of themselves . If your looking for the structure and securities of working for a corporation this job isn’t for you
Poor management.
Budtender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2019
Dont apply here unless your extremely desperate to get into the cannabis industry, and trust me they will hire about anything at this point. Over turn rate is high due to poor managers but Owners don't seem to care and pay is low. The also steal tips here and you will see a significant drop when they open up new stores. Use this place as a stepping stone.
Truly a horrible company to work for.
Receptionist/Budtender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2019
I’ve never worked somewhere that made it more clear they don’t care about their employees. No chance for advancement and the pay is not nearly enough. The whole operation is incredibly disorganized and it was borderline impossible to keep up with the always changing company policies. Favoritism is a huge issue and has a big impact on company morale. They were not transparent with how the tips were being collected and distributed which is a huge red flag. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Everything Else
Urbn Leaf is a GREAT company to work for!
Eaze driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2019
Urbn Leaf is a very good company to work for. Me personally have never had any issues with management or favouritism. It's a easy app, easy delivery position you are constantly busy til the end of your shift and your paid mileage. They also have higher positions but like any other successful business they want employees with education background in those positions. They provide education training there just a wonderful company and i love my job!!! Thanks Urbn for giving me an opportunity to work with your company!!!
Budtenders Beware
Lead Budtender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2019
No matter how desperate you are for a job, or how annoyed you may be at your current gig, there are some companies you’re better off not working for, this is one of them. A couple reasons?

“High Turnover” - Urbn leaf is a hire-and-fire cycle company. Meaning there leadership is very fickle; unable to land on the specific qualities they want in a candidate and more importantly bad internal culture makes retention nearly impossible, no matter how talented the new hires may be.

“Perpetual Promisors” - Urbn will promises you a promotion based on your hard work and value to the company. You’ll start to get excited about the new role and, of course, the increased pay. However, six months will go by and no one will mentioned anything. You will follow up, and Urbn will deflect you with blank stares and shrugged shoulders. Finally, weeks later you’ll receive notice that you’re not eligible for said promotion.

“Poor Company Culture” - Poor company culture may not seem like a deal breaker, but it should be. It’s well known that a positive company culture can drive financial performance and a productive workforce. Therefore, a negative culture can do the exact opposite - which is happening here.

“Stagnant Syndrome” - Meaning, Urbn doesn't places emphasis on helping you meet your long-term career goals. While Urbn may work for some job seekers looking for a very particular type of job, for many it will present a dead-end. You’ll likely be back on the job hunt in 12 to 18 months. This also ties back into the high turnover rate. Remember, stagnate is a verb that means, “to
  more... cease developing” This is not what you want but may be what you get.

Simply said, urbn leaf is all about making upper management wealthy, and budtenders poor. This may be a great steppingstone but is hardly a place to count on for long-term employment, opportunities or career advancement. Budtender Beware.
Pros
Employees, Vendors
Cons
Unhealthy Company Culture, Poor Managment, No Advancement
Honestly I think they are stealing tips
Budtender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2019
I worked for them for almost a year. Me and other employees always felt like we were getting shorted on tips and when we brought it up management would get extremely confrontational and defensive.

They have a “policy” where nobody gets to count their own tips. 1-2 people from the shift are designated to count everyone’s tips together and they are held by managers until they’re given with paychecks. They refused to change this and let us tip out BOH ourselves.

According to management, taxes were being deducted from our tips every pay period so that we wouldn’t owe taxes on them at the end of the year. There was a deduction even visible on our pay stubs.

Now it’s tax season and I owe $130 on the tips I made even though I’ve never owed taxes before in my life.

I thought I was done with the headache of working here months ago but I guess that’s the gift Urbn Leaf keeps on giving. To top it all off, when I asked them for copies of my w2 and paystubs HR said “oh sorry we switched payroll companies 3 times so now we don’t have any records from last year anymore!” Seriously sketchy stuff, do yourself a favor and work for somewhere else. Even the illegal shops are better if you’re thinking about applying to Urbn Leaf
Pros
There’s a good BBQ spot with a really cute waiter up the street
Cons
No overtime opportunity, expensive “benefits, ” short breaks, 7 hour shifts, impatient management, unrealistic expectations
They cant keep employees
Budtender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 10, 2019
This place seemed great at first, they make it seen so well run and put together. The bud tenders seemed nice and friendly. This is all a great facade.
They can't keep employees, due to low pay, bad management and stressful environment. It is hard pressed to find a budtender that has been there for a year, most only survive a week or two.
There is very little training and what training we get from vendors is just a joke. I am disappointed with the pay especially since we are the lowest paid in the industry. For such a fast pace environment and the amount of customers we go through a day , there is no reason for Slave wages. The benefits they provide are so ridiculously high you can't afford it.
They promise incentives and contests and never follow through with a winner. The favoritism with this store is also ridiculous. I have watched good competent people get passed over for promotion time and again.
Don't bother with this place
Not worth the time and pain
Pros
Cannabis
Cons
No overtime, no advancement, no 40 weeks
I learned a lot but..
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2019
This is not the best place to work at. The environment and coworkers are awesome but management has favorites and treated people unfairly. If you ask for a raise or have a serious medical problem they will probably let you go.
Pros
Awesome employees
Cons
Poor management
Cut throat environment company only thinks of itself with no advancement. Favoritism in management.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2019
Terrible place to work they will tear you down no support as family as they like to say “Feel Good Fam” there is no feel good about this company for they are a corporation advancing of employees knowledge. No directions are ever given on task (no Steps of Procedure Protocol), Which later you are reprimanded on if initiative is taken. Not to mention the way the medicine/product it kept (unsanitary). No cleanliness is done in warehouse were all product/medicine is kept. And if you try and apply for other positions they will take you upstairs to HR and let you know not to apply that you are only useful for where you are at.
Pros
Meeting SOME good people
Cons
Health care for single adult you pay $400 a month and family is even more
Middle Management Danger
Inventory Cycle Counter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Interview: Loved it. The hiring manager really dug deep, and is bringing in great new people into the industry. The HR staff is more like a legal staff, and will only interact with employees if necessary. The owners love hosting and treating their employees to parties and events, yet they will treat their favorites better, as expected. Co-workers are not trusting (due to the nature of the industry and it’s past), so it will take time to build real relationships.

So this leaves the biggest downfall with Urbn in 2018.... the development of middle management. Mainly because it was ignored and left to autopilot. So if your a bud tender or cycle counter at the bottom of the barrel, you will be ignored unless you brown nose and play your cards right. Life might suck at those positions... but it’s better than any other hole in the wall dispo. out there. It takes Grit right now at Urbn. They aren’t there to train you, they’re there to profit from you. Capitalism at its finest!

If you want socialism.... go somewhere else.
Pros
Vendor training, events, hot marketing girls, cannabis
Cons
No promotion opportunities without being GaNG first
No raises, no sampling the product unless u buy it yourself, no smoking on your lunch, they will schedule you on important holidays
Marijuana Budtender (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 22, 2018
I don’t even know where to begin with this place. Just save yourself the trouble and be a brand rep for a vendor. The pay here is bad, their scheduling hours are inconvenient, they don’t even give you full 8-hour shifts, and the prices are so high that as an employee you’re better off going to a medical dispensary during happy hour than spending your money in-store.
Pros
Free food and samples maybe once a month
Cons
Everything else
Positive and Supportive environment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 8, 2018
Urbn Leaf is a great company to work for and I plan on staying very long-term. The owners are brilliant and loyal to their team, and with the tremendous growth in the industry right now there's no where to go but up. There are lots of opportunities for advancement for those that have the constitution for hard work and focus, and you can get promoted rather quickly here if you put in the time and work on learning, improving your skills, and growing with the company.

Urbn Leaf is a start-up and a young company (it's only been around for 1.5 years, folks) so getting everything 100% (like a company that's been around for 10+ years) in the midst of tremendous growth isn't always easy. With the industry changing almost daily, everyone has to be very adaptable to change. The management and executive team work constantly, and lead by example. I find the culture to be positive and supportive, and I know that my bosses and my team have my back. I don't know where I'd be without the relationships that I've forged here. The team has come so far in just the months since CA cannabis went legal, I can't wait to see how far we'll go.
Pros
Great environment, co-workers, and perks.
Cons
Some days can be busy and demanding, if you want an easy mindless job don't apply.
Very Disappointed in this Company’s Overall Culture.
Budtender/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 1, 2018
I hate to say it but Urbn has absolutely zero work/life balance as well as a severe lack of trust from Upper Management. Health insurance is great but doesn’t make up for minimum wages and work conditions. Opportunities for development, training and advancement are slim to non-existent. Tips are given but not evenly distributed, and to be honest tips/urbn bucks shoulden’t be the only forms of compensation; investment in an individual's continued development is just as important and crucial to the company as the individual.

Transactional relationships are not what inspires loyalty; kindness and warmth do. If you trust your people, empower them, and believe in them they will go above and beyond to drive YOUR success. That is not the case with Urbn and I would be very cautious working here.
Pros
Getting to meet Co-Workers and Vendors, Health Insurance
Cons
Staff Turnover, No Advancement, Unorganized
Fun and upbeat
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2018
very fun company to work at. They take care of their employees with benefits and free meals and staff parties. in a very upstart field but they are the cream of the crop.
nice
DISPATCHER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 23, 2018
enjoyable work environment. most managers are great, owners are super approachable, great discounts on products, free product samples. flexible work hours
Pros
discounts
Cons
lack of organization

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urbn Leaf. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4