Urth Caffe Employee Reviews

Do not look out for employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CAApril 11, 2019
When I started if felt like the culture of the company was one I could stand behind. But as my time there went on it came to show that they were more about growing more locations and making money than caring about any needs of their employees. I was a manager there for almost 2 years. I understand you need to make money to survive as a business, I am not ignorant to that. But I felt as though I was working hard the company and my team and my team worked hard for me, but the company did not care about me or my team. Feeling undervalued and underappreciated for all the hard work and overtime hours I put in was soul crushing. When I reported an incident to HR about my supervisor, I ended up having my Area Sup calling me to ask why I said what I said. HR did not have my back, it was the complete opposite. After that I left. I did not want to be part of a Company that treated their team such ways.
Stressful never ending crazy house
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 17, 2019
Management there isn’t the best, working 12 hours shift wasn’t something I intended doing but I stuck with it for a little too long. Never got a thank you for all the hard work. And when it came to putting my resignation, it was like I was their enemy. Unorganized, wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
There isn’t any
10/10 do not recommend
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Downtown LAMarch 4, 2019
Management was always messy. No one ever agreed on anything and contradicted themselves constantly. They offered very little to no training and have the audacity to blame you when you don’t understand things. Expect you to know everything the first time you do it. Fast paced work with little training yet they yell at you for not getting everything. Nice pay but not worth the verbal abuse.
Pros
Decent pay
please do not work here
Prep Cook and Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 16, 2019
truthfully, I wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to work here. I applied for part time and was scheduled every single day, some days working over time. They couldn’t possibly care less about your priorities. I was never paid proper amounts of money for hours I worked. My tip money was also incredibly low, which was confusing.. I also got fired because I took allowed time off? Whatever. Please for the love of god, don’t work here. Worst job I have ever had.
stressful, good pay
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CAFebruary 9, 2019
its a good job and the pay was good +tips. hours weren't too flexible. customers were okay. I think there was maybe an hour or two where things calmed down.
Poor management skills/ poor training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Downtown, los AngelesFebruary 7, 2019
Worked there for almost 3 months and I quit for several reasons. One being that managers like to scream at you in front of staff and customers.They do not train or even care of new employees training.The company seems to hAve a great training guiDE bUT the mangers there do not care for it. . Managers here are rude. They lack professionalism. Managers all steal the tips from the employees. While I was there they bought radios for the restaurant and took the money from the safe to pay it off and everyday they would take money from the employees tips to replace the money they took from the safe. This restaurants makes a lot of money and I was surprised that they would steal employees money instead of the company buying radios. One of the managers explained that this was something they always did to buy things for the restaurant. This has been the worst experience I've had in the restaurant industry. URTH CAFE HAS a lot of hard working employees and their hard work is being overlooked. They feel threaten and won't go to hr because they think they would never hold The general manager accountable since he has been with the company for a long time now. The general manager also adds you to the schedule without asking you after being posted.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Lack of managent
Urth is not the place you want to work at long term
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2019
They expect you to do everything to their liking with little to no training. They actually don't provide any type of training other than a 5 minute orientation. working here I learned how dysfunctional urth caffe is hr or at restaurant. The most enjoyable part of working here is nothing. This is not a place for someone who has experience in a specific field and not a place where you would get job growth or advancement.
Pros
I guess discounts
Cons
pay rate, lack of management, unprofessional, poor communication
Fast paced job. Friendly people. Harsh costumers.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 8, 2019
Overall I liked to work there just because it was fun to see and enjoy time with coworkers. Everyone is friendly only until everyone starts getting stressed. The job itself is stressful and, to be honest, isn’t worth the amount of pay that one receives. Although the tips help out since it is distributed among all the workers (except managers), the tip system is chaotic since no one really knows when they will receive them. Managers are also fun at time but are very demanding and sometimes demand things without courtesy. They ask for things and expect you to deliver in that instant. It makes sense since it’s a “fast paced” job but when you are busy it just gets too stressfull. They don’t seem to understand that everyone is doing their part to help out yet they want to basically squeeze every ounce of power you have until you go home.
Pros
Discounts on and off work time (some free food and drinks)
Cons
Non predictable schedules. Very stressful and fast paced.
Don't do it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CADecember 12, 2018
High stress, with poor company culture. No real growth without a decade of experience in the company. Compensation will barely cover the expenses of an average Angeleno.
work was stressful and sometimes fun depending on the people
Cashier/ Host (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 1, 2018
typical work shift at Urth Caffe i worked nigh shift is i started at 3 until closing we had to wear uniform and the manager was cool i guess i really didn't pay them no mind i just came to work and go home
Pros
discount, tips, make money
Cons
long hours, favoritism
Stressful and poor management
Cashier/Host (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2018
A typical day at work consist of going in at 5 am. As a cashier going in at 5 am, you are responsible for having everything set up at 6 am, if you open outside, and 7 Am if you open inside. After you're done, the manager in charge sends you to you 10 min. break. Keep in mind that all cashiers go in at different times. After 8 am, the managers start sending people to break, 30min-45min. Breaks are done around 9am-10am. This is why after mid-day everyone was hungry. We kept working non-stop until 3 pm. Management was stressful. Every day we had 2-3 managers in site. Many times we didn't know who to listen to because the managers wouldn't communicate and would contradict each other. If one manager wanted us to stay hosting, the other wanted us to stay at the cash register. The hardest part of the job was doing the best to keep the job going as smooth as possible and listening to the customers and yet have the managers stress us with their job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships that are built--- not only with the co-workers but with the customers as well. There were times where we had constant customers that they would go to the cafe and already knew that we had their order ready. We knew was they liked and they always came in with a "Goodmorning" and a big smile.
Pros
Discounts, customers, co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, management
Buen ambiente para trabajar
Empacadora (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2018
Es un restaurante que es muy limpio toda la comida es muy fresca, es un lugar que tiene muy buen ambiente para ir a desayunar, comer, sanar o para ir con amigos.
Pros
Muy bueno
Cons
Todo muy bien
Fast paced, highly stressful work
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAAugust 3, 2018
Physically demanding, fast-paced working. A typical day at work started at three in the afternoon and ended either at 12 or 1 in the morning. Time went by fast because of the constant work.
Pros
Two free drinks, 50 percent off food
Cons
No paid vacation, high stress, decent pay
Hectic place to work in
Barista (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAJuly 13, 2018
Urth caffe is always busy especially at night with all the young customers. Super crowded and constant rush of persistent customers. Management neeeds work, pay is sometimes not enough for the work that i did.
Pros
Half off on food, Barrista competitions
Cons
Poor management, Hectic, Small work environment, One restroom, still owe me money
Sales Assistant
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 13, 2018
I worked here as a cashier, with long hours for 6 days per week. A typical work day was very busy from start to finish, with hundreds of customers and a line out of the door at most times, so I have good problem solving experience with working quickly and efficiently. We were given one free bowl of soup per day for lunch, which was not enough as we worked extremely long hours and the restaurant had very expensive food so nobody could afford a decent meal to sustain the difficult working day.
I also did not feel as I was being paid enough for my work, working over 50 hours a week and barely getting paid enough to pay one months rent. I resulted in leaving this job for a better opportunity with higher pay.
Pros
good coffee
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace
Greeter/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 16, 2018
Days were long, but everyone was always friendly and willing to help. People were always positive and trying to create an easy-going atmosphere. During rush hours everyone made sure to stay on schedule and make the costumers happy.
It’s productive and fast pace
Barista and juicer barista (Current Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CAApril 8, 2018
Working was a bit of overwork but sometimes its on a normal pace but the reason it was overworked was that we were understaff and it a little bit hard to be making 14 drinks at the same time.
Pros
Good food, health care
Cons
Understaff
Stressful workplace
Busser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 10, 2018
Constant non-stop work as expected, but management made it really uncomfortable and I wasn’t able to receive the work hours I wanted. It’s a hostile environment with the managers.
Pros
Free pastry and drink for lunch
Cons
Non negotiable manager
Beautiful Environment but Poor Management
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2017
Very fast-paced working place where one is pressured to be doing something at all times. Employees who have gone out of their way and their work positions to learn and help others do not get recognized. One small mistake can, however get you a write up or fired. Trainees are not properly trained if it was up to the management team. Work environment including the employees and the food are great and keep it within the Latino culture which makes it a nice warm feeling. Other than that, schedules and organization within the workplace is a mess.
Pros
Discount and Tips
Cons
Bad communication
Challenging and you can improve your skills here.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 17, 2017
I learn a lot when I worked here. I make new friends and be able to be responsible on everything. Be able to be flexible too in any kind of work at urth caffe.