USAA Employee Reviews

Found 2,083 reviews matching the search See all 2,098 reviews
work from Home
VA Underwriter/Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Great opportunity to bring our veterans home with home ownership.
As a veteran myself I understood the stress that our veterans deal with and to be able to play a part in being a help in their life was a great honor for me.
Benefits
Cons
job security
great benefits
Member Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 20, 2018
USAA is an overall a good company. schedules are getting harder to work with. overall job is very sales oriented and they push you to make unrealistic offers or referrals. Nice company paid events like holiday party and family day. Bonus every year depending on how well the company did.
Overall Great Company to work for
Wealth Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2018
USAA is a great company to work with great employee benefits.
As a wealth manager required to have 10 -15 member meetings a week. Also required to create on financial plans for members. The best part of the job was working with the members.
Great company to work for.
International Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Great Management and environment. The employees are generally friendly and helpful. The pay and health benefits were awesome. The headquarters was huge and had 2 Starbucks.
Great Company Overall
Mortgage Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
Great company to work for with great benefits. The workload and work place politics were the most difficult thing for me. Workload can be overwhelming and very stressful at times. A lot of gray areas in the mortgage processing position. Metrics and scorecards do not reflect the amount of hard work you put into the position. Serving the military is rewarding and seeing how excited someone is to get into a home.
Good pay and benefits, but too micro managed
Member Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
It's funny how USAA claims that they are not based on metrics when that's all they care about. What is the point of working in customer service to service policies, but at the same time have to sell, sell, sell? It's either one or the other. It's not fair to push both on a customer service rep. With so many new managers that came into play back in April/May, a lot of them weren't even ready for the position, are almost never available, are too busy when present or simply don't know more than the rest of the reps on the team. My manager was so quick to jump to conclusions, always assumed one as an employee was lying and was very shady. Some managers don't deserve the position and power while others who do go each day unrecognized. If you try to go above and beyond for the members, it's likely your manager can feel threatened and eventually want to get rid of you. I thought doing right by the members is what this company wanted, but apparently not. It seems as if those who are ignoring to do their job are the ones who last there. If you try to advance into a specialist, you're held to the same high standards as someone who's previously been there for 2+ years Doesn't matter if you come with enough experience and p&c licensed, they overlook that when it comes to promoting you to the next position.
Pros
Great benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Poor management, micro managed, metrics based
Always be on time
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Member is always right. No matter what. Even if they are wrong. They will go over your boss’s boss head to get their way. Did not like that part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Rigid environment
Productive and fun place to work
Total Loss Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
USAA offers amazing befinits, and the work/home life has been great. However management has been poor in showing they care about the individual working, and helping career advancement.
Pros
Breaks and lunches
Cons
Lack of leadership
Contractor - My Responses Are Not Typical of an FTE
Contractor - Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 15, 2018
As an FTE, USAA is a company you can't beat. The organization is amazing both in terms of benefits to employees as well as resources and opportunities for employees. If you're a contractor, be ready to be treated as a contractor especially if you're a threat to someone on the team.

Pros:
* Great campus
* Remote work opportunities
* Great technologies
* Benefits and compensation

Cons
* Department bureaucracy - there are many layers of management and inter-department dependancies; if you require access, databases or anything to that effect, be ready for red tape in trying to get you what you need.
* People - most people tend to be a little nose up in the air, two-faced and willing to throw you under the bus if they have to
* Management incompetency - all I have to say is how does a person with no development experience become a manager of a dev team that does some serious development work? And how is it that developers call the help desk to help them with their code? To me, that is a serious issue.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Room to move up with hard work, management is nepatistic
Wealth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2018
Overall good place to work but it is so tightly controlled that you gain little experience of the actual industry if you stay at the same job. Some of the manager were great and others weren't There was a big difference in management style. The education benefits were awesome. Other companys are so restrictive on what they will pay for.

Want to know more about USAA?

Ask a question
work place is out of control
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  azSeptember 14, 2018
USAA has taken on too much business without preparing. The work pace is frantic and systems and procedures are unorganized at best. Employees work many hours off the clock to keep up.
adjuster
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2018
daily que on coming calls in regards to auto accidents
making sure members were ok and willing to help them step by step after accident. Management was great, good feed back and encouragement. Not fulfilling a need for the member was the hardest job. Enjoying helping a member thru hard times and reassuring them we would take care of them.
NO Opinion
Senior Business Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I have no interest in reviewing this company, The leadership does what it wants and I dont think I am in a position to question them. USAA is a good company that has its own issues
Hard to advance
Total Loss Adjuster (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Total Loss is overwhelmed with continuous claims and not enough people to work them. The management is overwhelmed as well and we are not allowed to call out and follow up on claims.
good
Product Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I don't want to spend time writing a review. It's a good place.
I just need to fill up 150 characters minimum. I'm almost there I just need to finish this sentence.
Good company but not if you work in claims
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 12, 2018
I worked as a non-injury claims adjuster. Most of their practices are industry standard, you're tied to your phone, scheduled breaks and lunch, aux time, etc. Work load was unmanageable, claims get assigned regardless of what you already have. Have to stay on the phone and work on existing claims at the same time. If you can't make outbound calls in between inbound - oh well. Manager didn't have a family - didn't care about unexpected situations, marked unscheduled as negative... Cafeteria was nice (not free, but nice) they have quiet rooms, game rooms fitness center and our facility had a day care for employees, I couldn't use it due to conflicting schedule, but it's nice that they offered it.
Pros
quiet rooms, game rooms fitness center, peers are nice to each other
Cons
work load unbalanced, poor management ( in my case)
A leader in their field
Policy Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 12, 2018
The culture at USAA is military based, as they serve the insurance needs of Military Personnel. It is structured and there is an air of positive discipline that permeates.
Pros
Great facilities and people
Cons
Limited customer market.
Good for recent grads
Sr. UX/IX Designer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2018
Not recommended for experienced, self-starters kind of people. Company is still trying to figure out how to scale design, lots of conflicting perspectives but not a clear vision that permeates throughout all the different teams.
Pros
Stability if you are a full-time employee.
Cons
Work is not challenging.
Not the usaa it use to be
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaSeptember 11, 2018
Their slogan is to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do......when it benefits USAA. Customer Service is very stressful due to the micro managing, sales, sales, and more sales and some managers only caring about their own goals. The good managers get no recognition because they are doing the right thing and not kissing up to upper management. You get promoted because of your sales metrics or your a "chosen one" of upper management vs your knowledge of the job. I use to be very proud to work for USAA but there has been a change in recent years where I have lost respect . I no longer suggest to anyone to work there. Their benefits are wonderful but at the cost of being overly stressed and a very political atmosphere atleast in the Tampa office. In my opinion the company does not have the integrity it use to have and I feel their code of honesty, loyalty, service, and integrity has been lost to Corporate America values.
Pros
Benefits, Wonderful Co-workers
Cons
Stressful, Micro-managed, Favoritism, Sales above Everything Else
not long term beneficial
Cosnumer Lending Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
The benefits are so small they are almost non existent and you don't qualify for paid time off until January of the following year. So you may end up waiting a very long amount of time. Also their benefits package is by far the worst I have ever seen

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USAA. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

70out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at USAA.

Powered by Comparably