USAA Employee Reviews

Found 2,291 reviews matching the search See all 2,309 reviews
Work place not employee friendly
Financial Agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 16, 2019
The company is very mediocre to work for, very unrealistic goals along with a hostile workplace.
There is no advancement in this company.
The companies breaks are unrealistic, they start within the second you leave your computer.
Security is worse than the airport to enter your floor of work.
Pros
They have to follow laws
Cons
too many to disclose
Great company and benefits
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2019
This is a career focused organization. Most employees will retire from this company. Great pay, benefits, and job satisfaction. As the expression goes "people leave an organization because of the management, not the company". This organization has its challenges, as all companies do.
Pros
Benefits & pay. Annual bonus
Cons
Mostly a call center - hard for front line employees to advance
Best Job Ever
Ins. Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2019
If you are lucky enough to get hired here, do not and I repeat DO NOT ever leave! This company treats it's employees well so that you will treat your members the same.
Overall great place to work
Property & Casualty Insurance Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Great place to work overall. USAA has everything you need in the facility. Working Auto Insurance however, is stressful. Very quick pace all day, everyday. Weekend work opportunities available but so tired from daily work you don't really want to work on the weekend unless its to play catch up prior to the start of the next week.
Pros
great amentities
Cons
short lunch/breaks
Lack of Leadership Integrity
Director Technology Program-Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 13, 2019
While I fully support the goals and mission of USAA to service those who have served and their families it is hard to stay at a company where day in day out the executive leadership continues to prove how dishonest and fully lacking ethics. The company leaders preach "being a Compliant Company" except when it comes to making their performance to suffer. Then when they get caught they look for the front line manager and blame them for putting the company and its' members at risk.
If you have anything resembling integrity, ethics and a willingness to speak up, you will not do well here from a career perspective.
Pros
Solid benefits, onsite amenities and services.
Cons
Horrible HR, Business Leadership, stress-full, and cliquish management style
Good company
Process Engineer I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Very good company to work for, the culture needs a little improvement. It is not easy for remote employees to get the desired career development if management team is not supportive.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management team may not be supportive
Auto CSR rep
Members Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 10, 2019
For the time there it was a great company. I will say the license testing was as stressful as YOU made it. I passed on first attempt. You can get three. Great facilitators and trainers.
Great benefits
Financial Foundations Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2019
Usaa is a great place to work. Benefits are awesome.
Have on site gym for low monthly fee, childcare facility and
even a Starbucks! Great Bonus! The only negative is how
the scheduling is handled.
Pros
bonus
Cons
last hours
USAA is a great place to work even as a contractor
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 8, 2019
I feel like USAA was a great place to work as a contractor but it had some ups and severe downs like any other workplace except I had some first time shocks that I've never experienced anywhere else. There are tons and tons and tons of negatives I could go on about but I think my positive experiences outweigh all. I think the management side varies depending where you work within the company so I can't really say anything about that. The hardest part about the job is dealing with leadership that refuses to understand your role but demands something out of scope. I would say the most enjoyable part about USAA is the work environment
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Contractors are heavily segregated apart from FTE activities
Fun work place
Mortgage Loan Officer/Processor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 8, 2019
USAA is an amazing company to work for, they believe in work life balance, the retirement plan is amazing. Company yearly bonus every February and December.
Long busy hours
Auto Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2019
We were so busy I hardly got to know the people that sat around me. The breaks were timed and too short to get to enjoy it. Worked long hours but didn't feel like you knew the people you worked with since it was always go go go.
Pros
sleeping rooms- came in handy for lunch breaks
Cons
short breaks
Great company - Great benefits
Real Estate University Strategy (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Culture in SAT can be entitled and protective of roles - and can be very political and change resistant. Longer term employees were sometimes "embedded" in roles and unwilling/unable to change, especially organizationally.
Pros
Very membership focused and great benefits
Cons
Culturally stagnant
financially solid
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2019
financially solid but not much upside financially. annual bonus not tied to specific production. Management opportunities are minimal without a advanced degree. Culture is extremely well defined.
Overall a great company to work for
Members Solutions Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Call center environment is never easy but the call center for Usaa is definitely the best compared to the rest. I have nothing negative to say about Usaa. Great company.
Pros
Supportive family oriented company
Fast Paced
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2019
Job was very fast paced in a call center environment. USAA is a great company to work for with great benefits. I regularly recommend job seekers to USAA.
Pros
Company culture, benefits, and facility.
Cons
Not enough time to thoroughly investigate claims.
great cafateria
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 6, 2019
great cafeteria and sceneary at usaa learned how to work well with people. sports team lots of parking friendly people management at that time was use of favortism
Pros
great lunch
Cons
pay at that time frame
USAA has Agile but isn't agile.
Senior REST API micro services Developer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 6, 2019
USAA spends a lot of time and money teaching and promoting Agile. However, they add some many processes and controls on their implementation of Agile, that progress is very slow. This creates an situation where it is impossible for and individual to stand out, because no one can get much done.

They pay well with great benefits. but it winds up being a boring and routine job where you don't feel you matter much.
Pros
8% 401K Match; %15 bonus
Cons
Simple boring job you you don't matter much.
Company is focused on providing Veterans with excellent service
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2019
Company is very focused on providing Veterans with excellent customer service and acknowledgement in all phases of service including mortgage, life insurance, auto insurance and focused on providing their employees with great benefits on all of these programs.
Pros
Good benefits
Onsite amenities
Consumer Loans- Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2019
The first couple of years were great working here. I worked in the consumer lending area for most of my tenure. I started with USAA in the mortgage originations, but consumer lending needed help during summer surge. Their training for the new positions is better than most companies offer it is in a classroom for a few weeks, followed up with sitting with other MSR's. The benefits were good out side of standard medical, they have a free onsite gym, Starbucks, child care- though not discounted and closes at 6:30pm,when many positions schedules were much later that. They also have a large cafeteria and a mini mart so you don't have to leave the campus since you get a 35 minute lunches and two 20 minute breaks per day. The benefit that mattered to me was the tuition benefits they paid 100% of my schooling and I graduated without any student loan debts, they paid it all. Maternity leave is now 18 weeks paid time off. They do company family days as well. There are high call volumes with little break in between calls. It is hard to get promoted to a leadership level even with degree, it is more about who you know versus your work ethic or experience. I recently left for this reason, as my degree field is only offered at corporate office. I would say in the last 2 years the culture has changed, they are going through pains of being a compliant company so there are a lot of changes happening and will be for the next few years now that they are a larger company. The starting pay is low Year 1 I started at 32k, and year 5 I was at 45k that was after 3 promotions. They do offer 30%  more... shift prem. for hours after 7pm.  less
Pros
Benefits, Work at home options, good co-workers
Cons
poor managers, pay is not competitive, not enough off phone positions, not enough work/life balance
Work Environment
Banking and Insurance Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 5, 2019
I loved the people I worked with, management, and the company as a whole. The only issue I had was having to wait one year to advance to other departments.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Hard to take leave

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USAA. Our community is ready to answer.

51K

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

4.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight