USAA

USAA Employee Reviews

United States3,806 reviews

Found 3,806 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,840 reviews
militarymembercenterclaimbenefitbonusgymadjuster

Good pay, but lots of turnover and expect frequent change with little notice

Most people will work in the call center unless you are in a non-phone based job. If you are in a the call center, expect your day to be filled with high-volume of calls. Most of the year, its back-to-back. Unless you are in management or a non-customer support role, then your experience will be very different.

Pros

comfortable place to work

Cons

high stress environment.

No life work balance

Schedules are made so that you do not have two days off back to back. Rarely will you get weekends off. The pay is just...meh. They cram "branding" down your throat which is just a new way of saying "brown noser".

USAA insights

• Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great Company

USAA is an amazing company to work fro, the management and the people there to assist you are always there. They are definitely there to help. The only problem is that you may work late hours and as a mother and a wife that may not always be feesible.

Best Company I ever worked for!

USAA cares about it's employees and their families and it is an honor to serve the military and their families. The benefits package is by far the best I've ever seen.

Pros

Culture, Training, Benefits, Pay

Cons

Some days are stressful, hard calls but that can't be controlled.

Not as great as you’ve heard

Calls are back to back without a moment to catch your breath. Some managers all they do is talk to whoever is free to walk around and do nothing. (Coaches)

Pros

The cafeteria was pretty awesome

Cons

To many calls back to back.

It was great until it wasn't

I loved working here until the new CEO. Felt less mission focused at the end of my time there. Then they cut our annual bonus by 50% in exchange for a small hourly raise which only served to bring us up to standard industry wages.

Great opportunity to serve the military

Overall had a pleasant experience at USAA. I started in credit card servicing and was promoted to a senior position within 6 months. I worked with members who had recently lost a loved one and helped settle and manage accounts. I gained a lot of great experience and felt valued.

After Almost 7 years, they broke my spirit

I used to be proud to work at USAA, when I told friends and family they were so impressed due to their reputation. However year after year it’s gotten progressively worse. The amount of stress and workload from this job is not worth the money or sanity. We are told to care about member experience and owning our calls, but not too much or for too long because there’s other calls to do. The support and resources to do your job well are basically non existent. It’s extremely hard to find a balance between working your own claims versus taking call after call. It’s essentially impossible without working overtime.

Pros

No weekends, helpful coworkers, decent PTO

Cons

Pay, benefits decline yearly, bonus declines yearly

Great place for college hires or soon to be retired, not so much for others

Your experience at USAA will depend greatly on which team you join. Some teams are fun, relaxed, and great to work with. Other teams are micro-managed, strict, and overworked. There's an unspoken rule that everyone gets promoted every 2 year. If you work hard, you won't be promoted until the 2 year mark. If you do the slightly above the bare minimum, you'll most likely still be promoted at the 2 year mark. Management sucks and doesn't really help you out much in terms of career growth. They under pay almost everyone but will entice you with the bonus. Don't fall for it. I did for 3 years and now my base salary is more than my USAA Salary plus bonus.

Pay is low but overall mission is good

Working at USAA is rewarding because you know you are mostly serving members of the Armed Forces and are helping them take care of their financial needs while they protect the nation (or other nation). If you like helping people USAA is a great place to work. You will feel that your job is making an impact.

not a great place to work, they don't care about their employees

I worked there for two years and I kind of regret it. They paint a great picture during training and onboarding but once you are in your role things begin to change. They slowly reveal that there are more conditions you have to meet than what they told you in order to move and/or work in a role that you would like. They say there are no metrics and there aren't any quotas but there are. All they care about is what you can do for them, they don't care about you as a person. The only reason I say that I kind of regretted it is because I worked there during stupid Covid and I worked from home so it made that time a little easier and more secure. Don't work at USAA.

Simple once you know what your doing

The pay is decent for the work being done. Some members can be a little difficult but we usually have the best resources to help them. USAA is a good company to work for so far I’ve noticed they are quick to make sure that employees are treated like humans and offer help if you struggle on a certain issue.

Pros

Pay, help with calls

Cons

Difficult members at times.

Great Place to Work

USAA is an amazing place to work with amazing co-workers and leadership that cares. Opportunities are there but you will work for them. Entry level positions are phone based and are hard but USAA has tons of support structures in place.

Saturated job market

As a contractor/consultant, the time it takes to convert to a full time employee lasts for years due to the saturation of candidates for Process Engineer. I have been a contractor for a combined total of 5 and a half years at USAA. I have applied for numerous full time positions and maybe interviewed 5 times thus far in my 5 year timeframe. I know the processes, the company culture and the way things are done. I greatly enjoy working there but it is terribly difficult for contractors to go full time due to being lumped in the same bunch as existing full time employees. It is always an uphill battle that makes me wonder who are they looking for, a very qualified candidate or the full time employee they already know.

USAA does well by its members and employees. While no company is perfect, the culture and the companies commitment to the well being of its employees is truly unmatched

Great place

I would recommend to all new and old age people seeking employment. One of the best places in Colorado and they have your back with all situations. Highly recommended.

Pros

Seamless process and work with staff

Cons

Short breaks

Great Culture

Great culture, benefits and overall a great company to work for! Everyone was really nice from Recruiting to management! They go above and beyond to make sure their members are taken care of

Used To Be A Great Company

The Good:- Good for just starting out as a Software Engineer- Lots of training and direction with help from peers- Teams themselves are excellent and the friendly culture with co-workers is fantastic- 8% 401k Match dollar-for-dollarThe Bad:- Lots of hyper-specific information that is only relative to USAA don't expect to carry all skills learned to another employer- Healthcare and "Buy PTO" plans are steep cuts into each paycheck- Pension plans are set to have little to no growth in current investment strategyThe Ugly:- Senior management is out of touch with reality both in MSR/Claims/Software-Development- USAA has had record profits each year and continues to increase executive pay and their corporate bonus multiplier for senior management but continually lowers the bonus for non-management employees.- Most departments now have shoestring budgets for promotions and pay increases, don't expect to advance here without giving a lot of time and taking substantial pay cuts.- The yearly bonus equates to an average of 10%-15% of your annual pay.

Not enough time

There was not enough time in your shift to stay afloat on your normal day to day tasks. I literally had to work OT every day in order to stay afloat and I still was drowning. I worked on a team of 10 adjusters and I felt like I barely knew them because everyone comes in at different shifts, and were already on the phone when you showed up. Your teammates will also take breaks and lunches at different times as well so there is zero time to try and build bonds or relationships with your co-workers. You are constantly being hounded to be on the phone, which I understand but you see these people every day and are supposed to be on a TEAM, yet know nothing about them. It was very odd.

Pros

Benefits were good

Cons

Short lonely breaks

Fun place to work with floors of relaxation and game room.

A typical day at work would be as soon as you sing on your phone rings and it would ring all the way until the end of your shift. You soooo look forward to your breaks/lunches due to the heavy call volume. It wasn't like that when I was first hired several years ago so whatever changed it wasn't for the better of the members nor the employees.

Pros

Benefits are great, majority of management is amazing, and co-workers are easy to get along with.

Subpar training

Not enough training before working the phones. A lot of material to learn. Sometimes trainers cannot agree on answers to questions. Some trainers do not hide their favoritism for certain people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USAA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

54%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

38%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss