USDA NRCS

USDA NRCS Employee Reviews

United States28 reviews
Flexible
Great for someone willing to move. Great for moving up in the company if willing to move. Great long term job. Good benefits and leave. Paid federal holidays off
Wonderful people
I lost my job due to an error made by the contracting officer in the employment contract. Sigh. This was a wonderful job that I was really enjoying.
Administrative Support Assistant - Contractor
For the most part my job is very satisfying, not much instruction on how to perform my job, because they are short staffed, no time to properly train. The tele-working is great for the government staff but contractors don’t have that option.
Pros
Very friendly employees
Cons
A lot of gov. admin. tele-work, so not a lot of of on site support for employees.
Excellent employers
Excellent employers should have never retired wanted to make an impact on the environment

I did

Made engineering decisions contract decisions and did the best job I could
nice co-workers, bad management
very boring, wasn't given complete instructions on how to do processes, was never advised how to complete a job or what the end result should be. Management was all about the engineer and not the support staff, lots of fault finding for the assistant manager associate and for clerical help, hardest part of the job was trying to figure out how to do a task and not knowing what questions to assk or any assistance,
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Good job if you are willing to move around
NRCS seems to cater more towards the soil scientist and less to the administrative employees. There is not much room for advancement on the admin side of things. For example, my next step up the ladder doesn't actually pay anymore and is a much more stressful position.
Pros
M-f
Cons
no advancement for admin
Foia analyst
Busy large workload. Very large backlog of FOIA requests. Very tight working conditions. Professional atmosphere. Flexible working hours.
I loved the location. Downtown near the monuments.
Good and Bad
compensation was set for only the new college students to advance and
management try to throw their weight around and look after the company and not the individuals. Strictly up to the individuals to make sure their employee rights were not being intruded upon.
Pros
Low performers given lots of opportunities
Cons
Good performers not compensated, more work stack on them, and expected without additional wages or bonus
Internship
Great group of people. Even though everyone was laid back and comfortable, they still showed their extensive knowledge and professionalism with customers.
Secure place to work, working outdoors
Enjoyed working outdoors most of the time. Worked with wonderful professionals as a team. Enjoyed working remotely from office with many other offices and personnel. Great place to help the agricultural community.
Pros
Job security, health benefits, flexible time
Cons
Bureaucracy
Great organization to work for. Great staff and teamwork.
The culture of the organization is very consistent throughout the organization from top to bottom. The agency's tendency to promote from within the agency results in managers having had similar experiences as the staff.

The Agency's mission statement is "Helping People Help the Land" and is representative of the organization.

The Agency provided quality engineering tools, equipment and software to complete the work. Formal training opportunities varied from year to year based on the budget.

Variable work schedule was very beneficial and sick leave and vacations were appropriate for the time for the length of service.
Pros
Great organization
Cons
Some report requirements or procedures may seem onerous at times.
Ultima Services/LUSA Horrible Company
DO NOT WORK FOR LUSA Services/Ultima Services. Horrid company and people to work for. No benefits. No time off allowed. I was fired for having the flu. I missed one day of work due to illness.
Cons
Very conducive environment to productivity.
Great work environment. Very relaxed, and you move up at your pace. No one is breathing down your back, you just know to come in do your job well and go home.
It was a really good, slow pace to work
The United States Department of Agriculture was a really good place to work, slow paced. The people there were just really good and nice to me. The work is pretty dang good.
Pros
good work
Cons
not much for cons
Productive Work Enironment with a great group of team players
I have learned a lot since working here. Strong close knit work environment. Everyone in all departments are willing to help you learn and grow. Would definitely love to stay if a position became open. Contract is over, I am now down to two days a week.
Pros
Great work environment. Fantastic work/home balance. Great benefits
Cons
No open positions
Varied Experience based on location
NRCS is a great place to work at, however location and front line management can often make or break one's experience with the agency. The overall goals of the agency are customer focused and helping producers with their resource concerns. There can be a lot of paperwork and research needed to achieve the goals, but that is a part of any job.
Pros
steady pay, good benefits
Cons
lack of advancement options
It's a decent job and has many benefits and family friendly.
Overall a good paying job, but too much of the good ole boy system was and is still going on. If you rocked the boat and went against policy you were headed for a Sure dismissal.
Pros
Accumulated annual leave and sick leave, family friendly.
Cons
Only 30 minutes for lunch, and if you were the boss it could be stretched for you but not anyone else.
Wonderful team and overall experience
The team I worked with was so friendly and productive. I learned a lot and had a great mentor! The skills I learned, the connections I made, and the whole experience will not be forgotten.
Pros
Flexible, fun, benefits, challenging
Great
I only worked at the USDA for 3 months as an intern, but my time there was great! Everyone was extremely kind and the atmosphere promoted being productive.
Tons of job security, not the sharpest managers
If you're looking for job security and want more home balance, this place works. Not much innovation, no incentive to change, management job pay way more than civilian jobs with much less work and need to be proactive.
Pros
pay
Cons
so so managers, not a merit based promotion culture
I learned a lot about myself at this job.
This is a great job if you prefer to work alone. My supervisor was supportive of my health issues and providing reason accommodation such as a Vari-desk and lighting. However, one person can spoil the entire experience, and that is what has happened. I really am ready to move on, although I would love to stay with my agency. This has been a good place to work with excellent benefits and earning time off. I hope to stay with it but just in a different place.