UserTesting

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment
  • Sense of belonging

Easy non-taxing work with flexible pace

This job allows me to set my own schedule and pace which is very nice when I am balancing working and going to school as well as other life events in general. The most difficult part of the job was taking on larger jobs with limited guidance so I had to figure out a lot by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work at my own pace and receiving constructive reviews for my work done.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

irregular job opportunities, limited guidance

Pretty good, if you get picked

I think working here would be a dream job, however, trying to actually qualify for the tests is the real trick. You can go days, if not months and never qualify for a test, which is annoying. If you could manage to do 10 tests a day, you'd be making 100 bucks in a day. If there was a way to fix this, where you could get paid a lot more consistently then this would be great!

Pros

Easy to do, great way to earn extra cash

Cons

Not qualifying for tests.

pooor customer service to employees

service to employees it poor - at best. The agents are either rude, or just don't follow-up at all. and when they do follow-up its with a scripted canned email that doesn't address the issue.

Pros

flexible

Cons

poor service, lack of employee support, tests fail and you don't get paid

Great

Great company. Love it. Able to work whenever I want. No penalty if I don’t work. Freelance company. Really enjoy the work that I do here as a website tester.

Pros

Work whenever

Cons

No penalty for not working

Good way to make a little money on the side

This isn't a full time job. You usually take several screening tests to qualify to take a test. They want very specific demographics for each test. I like earning a few bucks here and there, but you won't make a lot. You provide feedback for websites and prototypes, to help improve user/consumer experience.

Pros

Remote, easy

Cons

not constant

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Pocket change only. Won't pay the bills.

Once they accept your application for CONTRACT work as a tester, THEN you still have to fit the random demographics of every single stupid client that comes along. Not already working 40+ hrs. per week elsewhere as a salaried employee? You can FORGET making enough even to pay your auto insurance bill with! They make $50 or more per test, but only pay testers around $10 per test (used to only be $3!). They don't require their clients to use common sense and realize that full timers don't have the time, the energy, nor the desire to be underpaid, and offered NO benefits at all, plus get stuck with extra tax forms annually, just to be asked to play silly matching games or pretend to shop online or whatever! Most testers don't qualify to take the tests! The management isn't minding the store - at all. So long as testers and test creators don't snitch, anyone can do or say anything on that site. They don't do any real content screening of their own. They rely on a crazy "last 12" but OPTIONAL and very ONE WAY "5 star rating" system that ties the testers' hands behind their backs, even when, clearly, test creators' assessments of the testers are unreasonable at best... There is no way for testers to rebut after being rated, nor is there a way to rate the test creators' performance... Testers must also wait a whole week to get paid (PayPal only), and that in itself slows things down, for accounting, banking, and even tax purposes... It's great that they don't let anyone go for showing up on their own unannounced schedule! However, I suspect that that's only true -

Pros

Tester's unannounced schedule always honored.

Cons

You'd have to be a 10 year old to be wowed by the $ you make at this site every year.

Good for a little extra income

Enjoy using this site for extra few dollars a week, but not even really as a part time job, the tests you qualify to take are too far between for this to be a reliable part time income. The site is easy to use and seems to be a valuable resource for its clients.

Negative workplace culture based on fear

Within the course of 24 hours, I have been banned from UserTesting despite providing excellent quality of work and detailed website reviews for over a year. There is no job stability or trust within this position, and in part I am relieved to stop wasting my time by working here. It is likely that this company is profiting via unpaid screeners. Screeners are given to test if you will fit the demographics for a usability test. However, if you do not qualify for the test, you essentially are giving the company information for free. I believe such unpaid work to be unethical and shady. As happened to me, customers are fickle and can give one star ratings to your tests, which can jeopardise months of hard work as rater and many five stars reviews. Lastly, there are so many technical issues with this company. So often the UserTests are unable to be completed because there is a technical error with the screen recorder or with the test itself. This is even more true on mobile. When technical issues happen-- and it is often!-- the additional time required to find support and ask for fair compensation well exceeds the time that should be taken working on a test for ten dollars. This isn't even considering the time spent interrupting your day with unpaid screeners, which leads me to say this job is extremely underpaid for the time spent on it.

Mixed!

Perks: free lunch, friendly people, flex time Cons: vague vision outside of sales, lack of understanding on allocating resources, lack of internal collaboration cross functionally, no process for anything....

Very fair, excellent compensation

I began working as a tester in 2014 as a source of additional income. Opportunity within this company has grown exponentially over the years and is now a large portion of my yearly income. They are quick to respond to issues and have always been very fair in their evaluations and feedback. This has been a wonderful opportunity to increase my interpersonal and critical thinking skills.

UserTesting

I, as a tester, love the website, but it took way to long for me to qualify for a job, but I have finally qualified for a job! Now it says pending $10.

Pros

Working at your Time, Legit, Fair Money

Cons

You barely get qualified for a job.

Expect few test

The concept is great but it seems this company is collecting data on you the tester much more than offering test to earn income. They "qualify" you by asking tons of questions about you (buying habits, etc.) Not sure where or how all this data is being used. But expect to give them a lot of time and information while receiving little to no compensation. A word to the wise.

Work when you want to

Very “gig economy” friendly. Work whenever you decide you have the time to do a good job and need the money. Download a screen/voice recording app and perform specific tasks while you speak out loud about your experience using the site or app.

Excelente idea de trabajo

Tardan mucho en darte test para realizar, podes llevar meses sin hacer un test. Deberían darle más oportunidades a los nuevos que no tienen valoraciones o puntuaciones todavía, para darles la oportunidad de subir sus clasificaciones.

Pros

Flexibilidad ya que lo haces desde casa

Cons

Si sos nuevo Tenes muy pocos test para hacer

Extra Money

It's a great option for a little extra pocket money. Giving feedback on a website that is in the making, gives you a great feeling that you're helping a company of the ground.

Relaxed place to work with high motivation to succeed

A typical day at work involved replying to support tickets from testers who had issues with software or a given test. I did other various jobs such as updating the website support pages and participating in client meetings. I did regular daily checkups with my manager and did side projects that helped me improve my knowledge about the company, and about various aspects of business in general. I learned a lot about the concept of ux and cx, the nature of the company itself, and the nature of work culture in general. This was the one job that was different from all the rest because I had no prior interaction with anyone working at the company. Previous companies involved family or school colleagues, and in part stepping into this new environment carried with it the unenjoyable part of the job. This didn't completely ruin my experience, but the work culture felt more polite than friendly. I really enjoy forming friendships and amicable connections with work colleagues, but I definitely felt sometimes like nobody wanted to talk to me, and that anyone who approached me for a conversation seemed like they did this out of obligation. Nevertheless, there were quite a few friendly people in the office and after a while I felt mostly welcome. Management was great, and overall I consider this to be a superb job experience.

Your own schedule

You have the option to test daily or every-other week. You are usually asked to review a website and give feedback, is it user friendly, would you use the website, etc. You are compensated well, but the pay isn't reliable pay. Working another job is required.

Pros

you make your schedule, good compensation, small time commitment

Cons

not a reliable source of income

UserTesting is a side gig

This is not a stable income. Testers like myself only get paid for the number of tests we take. Moreover, not all tests will be available to all. However, it isn't a scam of any kind. You do get paid the amount indicated within the timeframe given. Overall, you set the atmosphere from wherever you are and you get a chance to learn of new things ahead of time.

Pros

tests can be short as 15 minutes and the pay remains the same

Cons

tests are not always available

Excellent Work At Home Opportunity

Overall excellent option for supplemental income, work your own hours, and get paid weekly. Jobs are quick, easy, and take an average of 5-10 minutes to complete for $10 per each job (video). I recommend UserTesting to all of my friends searching for work-at-home opportunities and supplemental income.

Pros

Supplemental Income, Easy Work, Paid Weekly

Cons

Sometimes App Doesn't Work

Good for small extra money

Not a consistent stream of income but if you're looking for small extra income then this works. Great if you're looking to make extra money during spare time.

Just a side job

just reviewed websites and apps. it's a good side job because you can just log on and do it whenever you want, but there is some frustration when you repeatedly don't qualify for tests.

Pros

can do whenever you want

Cons

disqualified for many tests

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UserTesting. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UserTesting.
Powered byComparably