USG Corporation Employee Reviews

the hardest part of job
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Southard, OKOctober 12, 2018
The work isn't bad but the politics is terrible . The machines are not maintained well .it seems there is always some issue . the hardest part of job is putting up with the issues there
Pros
good benifits nd pay
Cons
stressful no respect for experience
What I learned
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  MississippiSeptember 19, 2018
USG pride themselves on safety as a company and for the long term of their employees. Here I learned the importance of following rules and how quickly a person can get hurt. Because of their strict rules on safety and how they enforce those rules; more employees go home safely and are able to work long term.
Collections Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2018
USG is a great place to work. Enjoyed working there. Was challenged and learned a lot about the business and construction industry. Best part was the free fruit in the morning.
Subject to lay-offs
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2018
Overall, most management was fantastic. Job security, not so much.

Work load and work/life balance was very good. Work culture was overall inclusive.

The team I worked with were amazing.

In-house cafeteria.
Outdated Work Culture
Digital Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
There is an outdated work culture, and it's easy to see. Most individuals are confined to their silo and there isn't much room for growth out of it. I believe corporate needs to overhaul both the work environment and culture in regards to the rising generations. They're a little stuck in the past, and it's time to look at the future of the company.
Decent place to work.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, ALJuly 9, 2018
Usg doesnt care about the employees personal life. Constantly working over scheduled shifts. Most people want straight shifts and they wont allow it..
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No family life. Rotating shifts
great company
Warehouse Supervisor/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2018
I started through a temp agency and the company was ceilings plus. Within 3 months i worked my way to a full time position as a lead. After 6 months i was promoted to supervisor
Safe
Operator 5 (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WAMay 8, 2018
Great atmosphere, quarterly bonuses, quarterly lunches. very good at keeping private affairs private. Plenty of room for advancements and Safety is their biggest concern.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
under staffed
Great culture and company.
Director, Integrated Marketing (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
Great culture and company. Products are leaders within the building materials industry. Company offers 401K plus retirement plan. Opportunities to promote from within the company.
Productive and fun work place
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
USG is by far the best company I have ever worked for. Work life balance is on point. Benefits were more than complimentary. Management took the time to listen and worked with you one on one to help you advance in your career with them.
don't treat contractors with a lot of respect
BSA/Product Owner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2018
nice company. good work/life balance. only thing is that they exclude contractors from all fun activities and events.
not included take your child to work day; any holiday events
Production worker (Former Employee) –  N Kansas City, MOOctober 25, 2017
Great place to work, face paced, very hot in spring and summer month, work a lot of hours doing a 12 hr shift, coworkers are a good group and management is good.
Not a good place for a woman
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 4, 2017
Great benefits but very poor management and job security. Extremely stressful and discriminatory. The only woman working there. Put down constantly, talked down to, cursed at and management always made it seem as though it was my fault.

They don't really want women there but they can't discriminate by not hiring one if you're qualified but they will show you how much they don't want you there.
Good Company.Cares for Employees
Quality Assurance Lead Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2017
The company really takes good care of its employees. Felt needed and cared for by the company.The downside was that there was no scope for career advancement.
Pros
Company that cares for its empoyees
Cons
no career advancement options in teh group
stable company, interesting work, good place to establish a career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2017
Stable company with solid product line. Good compensation and benefits package. Many people stay for entire career. Opportunities for advancement limited.
Pros
stable company, good compensation and benefits.
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement
Great company as a whole, cut throat department
IT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2017
They have plenty of technical debt. There are several employees that have been there for 20+ years. That's is great, however they are inept to using newer technologies or taking risk. There are plenty of politics to go around. If you can't get in with a "click" your time is limited. Overall the company is a great place to work, perhaps not in IT.
Pros
Pretty good work life balance, close to train, great people to work with for the most part.
Cons
Technical debt, cut throat environment especially if you can't get in with the "in crowd."
Great place to work.
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Washingtonville, PAJuly 31, 2017
I loved working at USG. the only thing i didnt like was there attendance points system. I was let go for my attendence due to having a two court hearings that they knew about that was scheduled before i started there.
Pros
paid lunches, fishing trips, great pay, great people
Cons
attendance points system
Good place
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Sweetwater, TXJuly 20, 2017
Good place and people! Rotating shifts is a bummer. They offer great pay and benefits! Would be a great place to retire from! I recommend USG to anyone willing to work rotating shifts
Pros
Pay
Cons
Rotating shifts
Not a fun place to work but the pay and benefits are good
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INApril 28, 2017
They lack understanding there employee but always pushing for safety at all times but there not to much work that they put on one person to get the job done
LOVED This job and working in Chicago
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2017
This was an exceptional corporation to work for. They were very supportive and encourage training, growth and advancement from within. It became very difficult for me to be gone 12 hour days and occasional travel once I had my second child. The Corporation was entering Bankruptcy for the 2nd time in my career there and were offering VERY general packages to those interested. I left with almost a full-year's salary, PAID Cobra benefits and my pension. I hated leaving the company, but it was the best decision for my family at the time (my youngest was VERY unhappy in day care)
Pros
wonderful, family culture
Cons
long days commuting into Chicago and back every day