usg Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Needs to be overhauled
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Walworth, wiAugust 14, 2018
Poor management, bad training, workers are not friendly move you out if the way instead of training you. Supervisors are put in the role because of length of service not qualifications. Bathrooms are worse than a rest area stop on the highway. This is the walworth plant in Wisconsin. Had to run out of the place. Supervisors ignored me for a few weeks. Some employees get to sit in a air condition room with management while others are working in the heat.
Pros
Maybe pay
Cons
Great place to work with good management.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INMay 10, 2018
Had plenty of work to do which kept me engaged in my role. Management was friendly, everyone there was easy to get along with. Had proper specialty tools provided.
Pros
Free lunch quite often.
Cons
Dusty work environment
Great People
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2018
A historic company with a great culture and amazing people. Headquartered in downtown Chicago across the street from Union Station. A great place to work!
I Do Not Recommend
Board Line Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 18, 2018
I was there for a little over 4 months and did not enjoy the experience as I originally hoped. Even though I was still training as a Paper Hanger, I viewed the job as being overkill as there is too much to do for that one job. The kicker? Only one person does that job which can place a lot of stress on that sole operator.

Management is not that great, unorganized, and the way breaks are set up is terrible. I never in my life held a job where I could not go to my own car on my break. Honestly, the breaks do not feel like breaks. The line is constantly running and if anything goes wrong, we have to cut our "breaks" short and return to work. There's also no set time for them either; you go when you can!

The place is very unkempt and dusty which I viewed as a health concern for myself. The coworkers were okay. There were a few that I could connect with.

The pay and benefits were decent, and they have a huge concern on safety which is great but it's overdone to the point of redundancy.

Overall, I do not recommend this place as an employer. But the choice is yours.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Safety
Cons
Management, Unorganized, Poor break structure, Jobs are overkill, Very unkempt
Terrible place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2018
Management was the worst and the coworkers were even more terrible
They are rude and cutthroat. Never know what you were going to be faced with.
If you can avoid this place, then do it. It not a safe place to work.
Pros
Not being there
Cons
Being there
If u have a family not a place to work because managment dont care if u need to leave for ur wife or kids
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakfield, NYMarch 15, 2018
The work itself isn't hard but they talk about safety is #1 no it isn't at no time r u to work on moving equipment unless it's ok with management then they turn there head while the work is being done and if u want xtra hours on down time when maitenece work is being done u better b one of those that kiss a lot of butt or ur not working that means no pay
Pros
Money isnt bad
Cons
Watch ur back
Ran poorly
Production operator (Former Employee) –  Glendale azMarch 11, 2018
The employees run this place not the management the management don’t keep they word this place is ran very very poorly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Good pay
Cut throat
Board Operator (Current Employee) –  Shoals, INFebruary 12, 2018
No room for advancement unless u know the supervisor or foremans. Everyone knows how the old saying goes and it’s the same here. Supervisors don’t know how to do their job or are just to lazy to do it and pawn it off on other ppl.
Pros
Days off each week minimum 4
Cons
Don’t supply knee pads. Hard to acquire raises. Supervisor act like raises come out of their check.
Great Company with family values
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  StorageNovember 16, 2017
Great company to work for. Everyone is friendly and appreciate family and personal time off. There is room to transfer to other locations as the company is growing.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Working every weekend.
Not a place to go if unless you are out of options
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Shoals,IndSeptember 7, 2017
This is not a place that you will want to go to work unless you are out of options High turnover There is a reason for this. Poor management top down
Pros
Pay and close to home
Cons
Management from plant manager down. This will never change until he retires.
Horrible!!!
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rainier, ORSeptember 2, 2017
Rainier plant is horrible! Management lives in their own dream world. They are more concerned about ridiculous programs than making a product. I would highly recommend staying away they will drive you over the edge.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Management, useless programs, liars and cheats.
good place to work at.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Préfecture de RabatSeptember 1, 2017
a good company to work for, The atmosphere was nice so were the teammates. i was an account manager and had to deal with different people and different situation. But the job was always done the right way.
Great company, if your related to everyone there
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAAugust 5, 2017
The usg plant in el centro is mostly people related to eachother.. as soon as i was hired everyone kept asking who was i related to.. they were surprised i got in with no help. Management sucks they all claim safety and follow lock up procedures and they dont! All talk just during meetings but on the floor half the stuff they say is done. Pay was good hours were good, great benefits, and 401k. Just a shame the people they have running the el centro plant
Pros
Pay, benefits, and coworkers
Cons
Everyone who runs the plant
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2017
I loved working at USG!! The environment was friendly and very nice. The benefits were fantastic and there was always something new to learn. Great teamwork
Productive Growth Enviornment
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 4, 2017
Productive and growth environment. Supervisors had excellent interpersonal skills. Pleasant working enviornment and staff training highly encouraged. Clean atmosphere and procedures.
Not a bad job
Mill Operator #5 (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJanuary 19, 2017
Good job for the money, a more effective and more personal management would make me happier. Top dogs like to walk all over you. A company that expects the best but doesn't treat you well on good performance. Overall a decent work place. I'm sure there is better and much worse too. I tolerated it for 5+ years now
Pros
quarterly bonuses
Cons
poor management, worthless co-workers..
Good pay, very clicky. Lots of favoritism.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Mediapolis, IAJuly 25, 2016
Great pay for the job you do. The training process is very slow. Have to learn all 5 jobs on each line to earn your raises. Can be a raise every 6-8 months. Very slow process. Should have all 5 raised by the time your one year anniversary comes. Management shows obvious favoritism. Very very clicky with wrestlers from the area. Make you work weekends to either run production or to clean. Almost never get a whole weekend off without feeling guilty about it. Expect people to work too many hours for no reason. Safety wasn't great.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Lots of hours. Poor leadership
It pays well
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Danville, PAJune 21, 2016
It pays very well but you work swing shift. All about safety there are no accidents that is what they say. Great job and you have to be ready to move fast and think on your feet when something happens. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
They have a lot of incentives to keep people modivated
Cons
Swing shift for some dept.
good place to wrok
Tableau Developer/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2016
Its well reputed organization with well managed, atmosphere balanced work enjoyable work style with all.

Coworkers are very nice will help in all the aspects, management is very friendly...
Nice company, but a little dated
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2016
Flexible work hours, but outdated systems and budget cuts. Business is heavily tied to housing industry which creates some volatility.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at usg. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

1.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight