usg Employee Reviews

Very productive and fast paced, barely had time to complete one task to go to another, supervision was ALWAYS rushing me
Rail Loader (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, ALMarch 7, 2019
I wouldn't recommend this place. They paint you a perfect potrait of encouragement, money and everything else but it is really just a mirage. It is impossible to please the management there and once something goes against you, no matter if it's your fault or not, it's almost like you have a bullseye on your back. Most of the people that work there seem like they were easy to get along with and seem to act like they are your friend or at least want to be till you see them out in public, then they will walk over the top of you or completely ignore you like you do not or ever existed.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Nothing really, besides having weekends off but it took all weekend to get rested up feom having to work so hard.
rewarding, challenging and work was for a good cause
Program Manager- Classified Defense position (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJanuary 23, 2019
I was honored to be hand picked as the Director of the Program. The Program was recognized as one of the most effective and successful programs in the intelligence community. The staff was highly skilled, experienced and mission focused.
Pros
The mission itself
Cons
The beurocracy
Horrible, uncaring, cut throat, cliquish, favoritism, no regard for safety even though it is claimed #1 priority.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Southard, OKJanuary 19, 2019
I was wrongfully terminated from USG because of my attendance. Period. It did not matter that the lack of my attendance was due to illness from their product, and that I am under suspicion for exposure to heavy metals from my doctor. They wanted a meeting to fire me, I was not really allowed to speak. Everytime I trued to bring up this issue, I heard, you don't have that documented, or I don't like what you're implying!! Well, it us what it is, not an implecation, a fact. They were smug, scoffed and at times even laughed and smirked. When asked by smug face HR Rep, don't you want to hear your appeal options, one included was to see the plant manager. The plant manager if very new, and NOT part of their 3 ring circus. However I was notified at that time, the normal plant manager was out, and there was a fill in, authorized to make decisions on his behalf. I said no, I wanted to see the regular plant manager. I was told I would get NO waiting period to do this, and if I didn't see the fill in that day, I was waiving my right to see the plant manager at all. I went back. They began to speak, I tried to explain my medical situation, believed to come from their plant, their product. I again was snapped at, I don't like what you're implying!! Okay well I don't like liars, who claim safety is #1, unless it's your safety; then it's shut them up, shut them down, get them out of here! The phrase between all of these men, We already discussed this., kept coming up. And I threw my hands up. This was a meeting already had, already decided, they just had to have it again formally with my  more... presence. The fill in plant manager seemed well aquainted with the old manager, and HR Rep., so they laughed it up at my expense, and of coarse fill in plant manager found in the department manager's favor to "terminate my employment". I've been sick since about 2 weeks after beginning work there. Horrible skin irritation/rash, been given at least 5 rounds of steroids, now a high dose for the next month, and still awaiting diagnostics about the heavy metal exposure, that my doctor's tested for. I have had a bad taste in my mouth, a horrible Eczamous rash, which they accused of being a pre-existing condition. A biopsy was taken from it, and the pathology was conclusive with findings from heavy metal exposure from the CDC. Nausea, joint aches and pains, very severe in feet, ankles, knees. Severe kidney pain, very very frequent urination, bedwetting, sweating profusely, breathing issues, stomach pain, including unbelievable heartburn. This has been a terrible ordeal. I would never suggest anyone to subject themselves to this place, no matter how much they pay you. If you feel you have health issues related to this atmosphere, get help immediately!!  less
Pros
Lies at the beginning, making you feel like you are genuinely joining a work family, and that you are valued.
Cons
Cold, uncaring, Not family friendly, you are a number, cliques, favoritism, nepotism, have the right friends and name or you don't have a chance.
work is steady
Mill Operator to service truck mechanic in quarry (Former Employee) –  Southard, OKOctober 13, 2018
service truck mechanic : fuel & lube all heavy equipment once a shift ,keep track of engine hours of all heavy equipment in quarry and all quarry vehicles.perform all oil changes.keep records up to date
Pros
home every nite
Cons
pay not goog
Dont waste your time here, if you are skilled employee.
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2018
There corporate office needs to look at this plant.
Would love to say more but not going to....

"Its hard to do your job when you are not given the tools to do them with"
Pros
Pay and working hours
Good pay bad managment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Southard, OKAugust 30, 2018
To much politics its all about who you know and if they like you not a good place to work at all in my opinion it pays good but there is a reason for the high turn over rate
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managment
Needs to be overhauled
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Walworth, wiAugust 14, 2018
Poor management, bad training, workers are not friendly move you out if the way instead of training you. Supervisors are put in the role because of length of service not qualifications. Bathrooms are worse than a rest area stop on the highway. This is the walworth plant in Wisconsin. Had to run out of the place. Supervisors ignored me for a few weeks. Some employees get to sit in a air condition room with management while others are working in the heat.
Pros
Maybe pay
Cons
Great place to work with good management.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INMay 10, 2018
Had plenty of work to do which kept me engaged in my role. Management was friendly, everyone there was easy to get along with. Had proper specialty tools provided.
Pros
Free lunch quite often.
Cons
Dusty work environment
Great People
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2018
A historic company with a great culture and amazing people. Headquartered in downtown Chicago across the street from Union Station. A great place to work!
I Do Not Recommend
Board Line Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 18, 2018
I was there for a little over 4 months and did not enjoy the experience as I originally hoped. Even though I was still training as a Paper Hanger, I viewed the job as being overkill as there is too much to do for that one job. The kicker? Only one person does that job which can place a lot of stress on that sole operator.

Management is not that great, unorganized, and the way breaks are set up is terrible. I never in my life held a job where I could not go to my own car on my break. Honestly, the breaks do not feel like breaks. The line is constantly running and if anything goes wrong, we have to cut our "breaks" short and return to work. There's also no set time for them either; you go when you can!

The place is very unkempt and dusty which I viewed as a health concern for myself. The coworkers were okay. There were a few that I could connect with.

The pay and benefits were decent, and they have a huge concern on safety which is great but it's overdone to the point of redundancy.

Overall, I do not recommend this place as an employer. But the choice is yours.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Safety
Cons
Management, Unorganized, Poor break structure, Jobs are overkill, Very unkempt
Terrible place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2018
Management was the worst and the coworkers were even more terrible
They are rude and cutthroat. Never know what you were going to be faced with.
If you can avoid this place, then do it. It not a safe place to work.
Pros
Not being there
Cons
Being there
If u have a family not a place to work because managment dont care if u need to leave for ur wife or kids
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakfield, NYMarch 15, 2018
The work itself isn't hard but they talk about safety is #1 no it isn't at no time r u to work on moving equipment unless it's ok with management then they turn there head while the work is being done and if u want xtra hours on down time when maitenece work is being done u better b one of those that kiss a lot of butt or ur not working that means no pay
Pros
Money isnt bad
Cons
Watch ur back
Ran poorly
Production operator (Former Employee) –  Glendale azMarch 11, 2018
The employees run this place not the management the management don’t keep they word this place is ran very very poorly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Good pay
Cut throat
Board Operator (Current Employee) –  Shoals, INFebruary 12, 2018
No room for advancement unless u know the supervisor or foremans. Everyone knows how the old saying goes and it’s the same here. Supervisors don’t know how to do their job or are just to lazy to do it and pawn it off on other ppl.
Pros
Days off each week minimum 4
Cons
Don’t supply knee pads. Hard to acquire raises. Supervisor act like raises come out of their check.
Great Company with family values
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  StorageNovember 16, 2017
Great company to work for. Everyone is friendly and appreciate family and personal time off. There is room to transfer to other locations as the company is growing.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Working every weekend.
Not a place to go if unless you are out of options
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Shoals,IndSeptember 7, 2017
This is not a place that you will want to go to work unless you are out of options High turnover There is a reason for this. Poor management top down
Pros
Pay and close to home
Cons
Management from plant manager down. This will never change until he retires.
Horrible!!!
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rainier, ORSeptember 2, 2017
Rainier plant is horrible! Management lives in their own dream world. They are more concerned about ridiculous programs than making a product. I would highly recommend staying away they will drive you over the edge.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Management, useless programs, liars and cheats.
good place to work at.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Préfecture de RabatSeptember 1, 2017
a good company to work for, The atmosphere was nice so were the teammates. i was an account manager and had to deal with different people and different situation. But the job was always done the right way.
Great company, if your related to everyone there
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAAugust 5, 2017
The usg plant in el centro is mostly people related to eachother.. as soon as i was hired everyone kept asking who was i related to.. they were surprised i got in with no help. Management sucks they all claim safety and follow lock up procedures and they dont! All talk just during meetings but on the floor half the stuff they say is done. Pay was good hours were good, great benefits, and 401k. Just a shame the people they have running the el centro plant
Pros
Pay, benefits, and coworkers
Cons
Everyone who runs the plant
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2017
I loved working at USG!! The environment was friendly and very nice. The benefits were fantastic and there was always something new to learn. Great teamwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at usg. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight