USIC Employee Reviews

Out door work
Utility Locator (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMay 24, 2018
All weather type work. Never in same place. Travel all over middle TN locating for ATT, water and sewer, cable. Employees worked good together. Supervisor strict but fair.
Pros
Company vehicle, decent pay, training good
Cons
weather
Worse Place To Work
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MOMay 21, 2018
Worse place I ever worked for, low pay, long hours, they deducte money from ur pay check to use there vehicles that have GPS that moniters speed & if ur breaking to hard which can be used against u for review time or if they want to terminate u without any device on dash to let u know if ur in violation of GPS, until they terminate u for speeding without any warnings until it's to late. Heard the same complaints from other employees that are working here, also heard bout company coming after indivual tech & USIC not backing him up on damages that was not the techs fault.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Long hours low pay
Fun
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 15, 2018
Fun to work and get to know everyone and they help out when you need help. you do a good job they take you out to eat and reward you when you are good.
Poor Management
Locator (Former Employee) –  Bedford, INMay 15, 2018
I worked there for 4 years. Working my hind-end off while others took short cuts. They train you on how to do a locate correctly while in training but once you get into the field don't care how you get them done or if you even make it to the locate as long as there isn't any utilities damaged. During my time the had seasoned locators closing out tickets with out even going to then and nothing was said to them. Again if nothing was damaged they don't care. This company wants to lead you to believe that they want quality work but they truly don't care how good it is. They are all about quantity not quality. The amount of tickets that you are to get done each day is absurd. I did as many as I could, doing them correctly, and never had them say anything to me. they don't want you to talk about your pay here either because they don't want you to know that the slackers and new guys are making more than you do. This company is a joke and the management is very poor. Management will always try and turn everything around to be your fault because of there lack of management skills and failure to deal with people not pulling there weight. Do not apply here unless you enjoy getting the short end of the stick for busting your hind-end.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Bad management and training
Underground Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILMay 14, 2018
Training is so bad you can not figure prints out they work you like a dog if you get a damage and say that's how your trainer taught you they call you a liar and the equipment is beaten and abused don't work half the time company cont care about you
Pros
Company vehicle
recent
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2018
very unorganized, does not care about injured workers, this is a job where you will have no life. long hours, long days with few off days in between. This should be unionized.
poor management
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 9, 2018
Very bad employees and management. They dont care about anything but quantity and no quality. they would make you travel all over and not pay till you get to first locate
Very Limited to no training
Utility Locating Specialist (Current Employee) –  KansasMay 7, 2018
Jobs not bad but you never got enough training. I loved driving out in the country and talking with the customers when they had questions. The hardest part is when you are in a real High profile area it is frustrating because you don't know all the different ways to easier locate each utility
Pros
People you work with
Cons
No training
Warning!!! Apply at your own risk
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 6, 2018
Not really a job for dedicated family workers. If you’re 20 and looking to work a bunch and make some quick money it’s your kind of place otherwise it’s just too much work load
Easy to work for
Locator (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 4, 2018
Easy place to work for, work on your own, long hours and on call demands, always a change to advance, many different locations to work for, many different job times within the company
Stressful
Locate Technician (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 2, 2018
Working for this company was a learning experience. Management was constantly changing, new rules constantly being created, and the micromanaging was absolutely ridiculous. It made me appreciate my next job.
No longer what it used to be
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 1, 2018
This job was actually quite fun and laid back for me when I started. I picked up the ability to locate fairly quickly and started banging out more and more tickets per day that were close to where I live. My supervisor was a seasoned locator with 20+ years under his belt and one of the nicest guys in the world. I worked a decent amount of overtime, but didn't have to, and I actually got a couple big bonuses for remaining damage-free. However, a couple years into working here, USIC began swallowing up contracts that they had no business acquiring. Also, due to more locators being fired or quitting, my assigned area tripled in size. I was promised help with this area, but 2 more years passed by and...nothing. Now, I had 5 to 7-way locates on multiple projects and was expected to keep those up to date on top of completing 24 house tickets per day. This was during the hottest summer on record, in which I lost 30 pounds (starting at 165 lbs). On-call weekends during the summer are brutal, you will live in your truck and never go home. Working weekends became mandatory. Management even threw a fit when I had to take off 2 weeks to take care of my wife after a major surgery, even though advance notice was given. Bottom line is that this company is a good way to get your foot in the door of the locating industry. If you survive a couple years working here, most surveying companies will hire you in a heartbeat and pay you 30% more. Work towards that, but do not stay here.
Pros
Take-home truck, decent benefits, fellow locators are great to work with
Cons
Long hours, can't leave your house during on-call, high turnover, unreasonable expectations from management
Loved the job!
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 30, 2018
Had your own truck w/their gas card. Took truck home so work for the day was already on computer in truck. Would go days without talking to anyone unless you had to get supplies. Drove home in truck when tickets were closed.

ALOT of walking, climbing etc. but I liked that except for the farmer's tan. Didn't pay enough for sure! Worked in all kind of weather.
Pros
Had own truck and worked alone.
Cons
Low pay, being spied on, weather conditions
Eventful job with great bennefits.
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAApril 28, 2018
Working for USIC was a wonderful experience for me, due to the experience it gave me in the infrastructure part of the world and also experience with my everyday life.
Pros
Bennefits
Cons
Being On-call
Poor management
advanced locator sue office (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2018
expect 10 hours a day 6 dsys a week. no lunch. no holiday pay if you work one. employees who do 24 + tickets a day get no rewards. employees who do less and mess around get promoted. equipment barely works, upper management never located or had boots on the ground but claim to know everything. truck is nice, benefits are great. job would be awesome if they paid more, were fair, and had up to date equipment, or at least works. and had management that have locating experience.
Pros
truck and benefits
Cons
poor managment
Job ok, benifits sub-par, management terrible
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 26, 2018
Job was ok, hectic but not overwhelming. Coworkers were easy to get along with and helpful in learning new job. Immediate supervisor was easy to talk to and helpful. Upper management terrible, little to no communication, did not directly interact with employees. Benefits were for employee and child came out to 3/4 of a weeks pay. Overall experience very poor.
Pros
Company vehicle, phone, computer
Cons
Long hours, forced overtime, poor benifits, high stress
Absolute Nightmare from the hiring process, “training”, etc.
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 24, 2018
Three weeks of training is now crammed into four days. Egocentric people who have no personality and are trivial and petty about every little thing you do. You are spoken to like a child. The hotel they put you in gave me a wonderful rash on my legs. At the end of training I had to fight to get my truck, I had no transportation otherwise and then was left for days with no call or idea what I was supposed to do. Absolute nightmare. HR has also told me they “assume” I will get paid. Everyone is flying by the seat of their pants in a job that should pay twice than what it does. Have fun with crumbling apart, Usic. You don’t even pay people for driving to and from their first job site, get real.
Always hiring
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 22, 2018
Working at USIC can be dreadful but also enjoyable depending on type of person you are. If you like working independently, outdoors with overtime, this is the place. You are assigned a truck and commute to & from work sites saving you money on gasoline and wear&tear off your personal vehicle. I personally liked that. You need to have some basic computer skills to do your job efficiently. You work your own schedule but generally starting your day no later than 830am. There are times when you are overwhelmed with work. USIC can make or break you. Its a starting point for a job to help pay the bills, but definitely not a career with longevity.
Pros
Take home vehicle, overtime, work independently
Cons
overtime, occasional stress, abundant of work
fast pace
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 18, 2018
Fast pace environment. You have to be a people person. You interact with cutomers on a daily and enter there properties, also you need to stay hydrated due to this Miami weather it can get hot. Overall good company and great benefits
Great place to wortk
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 13, 2018
Great place to work would have stayed but the contract for telecommunications work was winding down and it was time to look else where for a job. Upper management was great to work for and at all times we were treated with respect.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USIC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7