USIC Employee Reviews

Typical contract locate company
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2019
The company sells itself as a better more evolved version of a contract locate company but in reality it has the same culture that contract locate companies have always had. From supervisors using foul language in the office place to desparaging remarks about the employees both in front of them as well as behind their backs. The pay has not kept up with the industry.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Terrible work culture
Don't work there unless you are desperate.
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 22, 2019
The hours are sun up to sun down six and seven days a week. It is hard to make plans because of the work schedule. The supervisor told me he had no idea how someone could make locating a career.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Too many hours. Not enough pay.
Horror job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIMarch 20, 2019
Company will use you. They have theindset everyone will be replaced so they will not give very good raises. You dont get help when you are swamped. You work 16 hr a day and told if your behind to work more hours to get caught up
Pros
Cons
No breaks. Bad management
Poor management
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNMarch 18, 2019
Poor management, very long hours with very little home time. Not a good job for someone with kids. During the winter I only worked maybe 11hrs/week. But was told when hired that I'd have a choice to work during winter which wasn't true. I was forced to work. The most hours I worked during the winter months was about 22hrs. Overall a horrible company. I wouldn't suggest anyone to work for this company. No paid drive time. Can only clock in once you get to your first job which can be an hour away.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
You'll be lucky if you get a full break due to the amount of work they give you per day
Active and puzzled experience
Utilty locator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2019
I enjoyed working at Usic. Everyday it was something new so you didn’t know what to expect. The main goal is to protect and provide a good service for the customers.
Pros
Great opportunity
Cool job
Revenue Protection Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 11, 2019
Very dangerous because people don't want you coming to their house to turn power off. People will threaten you all day. They use weapons or their animals
Pros
U work alone
Cons
It's dangerous and you have to be very careful at all times
Its a great steppingstone for someone who enjoys outdoor work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 11, 2019
I would not recommend you to work for this company if you have a family. They have lost their way and treat techs in the field like expendable tools rather then people. While there are still some good Supervisors left in Michigan upper Management still makes it uncomfortable. And no matter how hard you work you will not get notification for it.
Pros
Work Truck, Work Phone, Working outdoors
Cons
Work is over loaded, To many hours in a work week
Terrible Pay and Terrible Hours
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 9, 2019
Everyday we're rushed to finish our work because of productivity but we are damage prevention not speedsters. If we dont do the job right the complain but if you take to long doing the job right way then they're on top of you again about productivity. Very stressful job, terrible supervisors and managers, and the organization is a joke.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Poor management, unorganized, dangerous job for terrible pay, no paid vacation, benefits are terrible, hours get cut every week
Great job for being outdoors
UTILITY LOCATE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 7, 2019
You drive a company vehicle you can take home every night. You are provided with all the equipment for the job including a company phone and gas card.
Pros
Fair wages and benefits
Cons
Mandatory oncall, no incetive for oncall
I had a great manager and supervisor. I was compensated fairly and they provided support when needed.
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2019
Worked for 9 years in 3 different offices and was an overall positive experience. I relocated twice with this company and both times they helped financially with the move. Management was good overall in my experience.
Pros
Company vehicle, decent pay.
Cons
Long hours, on call, slightly below average healthcare
Would not recommend to an enemy
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 27, 2019
High pressue, very stressful, supervisors do not care about anything but numbers. If you do not want a home life do not apply for this job there is not one good thing I can say about this job. You are on call for a week straight....overworked and underpaid. You are monitored as far as the vehicle, work phone....in fact they monitor everything. If you need supplies or replacement for broken equiptment it is hard to get and then the supervisor will degrade you for equiptment that you need replaced. Some supervisors will tell you to do a job completely opposite of what little training you did recieve and if there is a damage they reprimand you like you are an idiot when they told you to do it their way. TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME.
Poorly Managed Company
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Northern MassachusettsFebruary 22, 2019
Training consisted of 4 days of corporate dos and don't which didn't ready anyone for the plan reading, utility locating or daily activities and demands of the job. Company corporate consistently addresses employees with distrust, threats and more threats...they are responsible for Nothing and employees are always at fault.
Nothing in the on boarding letter proved true except the threats constantly made against employee performance. Management didn't even bother training employees sent to test for Gas locating exam! On call night work is obligatory every week and ends up that you could have to work 36 hour shift with no rest. Vehicle promised was a truck, but vehicle provided is a claustrophobic compact which you are supposed to drive on all sorts of roads and weather conditions, nights etc. Not enough room to type on computer in front seat, which is what you do for 9- 10 hours daily. Not paid while on drive time! You're responsible for vehicle maintenance during your work day and against your work load which is always rush, rush rush, but don't dare make a mistake. Pay is not equivalent to job skill level or responsibility. It goes on and on. - I really like locating, but not with USIC.
Pros
Work Outside
Cons
Terrible corporate culture, poorly managed.
Run from this company
Locator Technician (Current Employee) –  Moultrie County, ILFebruary 19, 2019
The overall training was a joke too many new hires for one instructor overall pay was low for the amount of responsibility they expect you to take on.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Poor management
Apply if you enjoy being screwed over and overworked with bad pay
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 18, 2019
Extreme micro management, long hours and stacked work load for terrible pay. And dont even try for a raise because you will never get it. Extremely high turnover rate and shotty equipment. No possible lateral or step up promotions in the company..you get stuck where you are.
Pros
Work on your own
Cons
Very poor management and no room for growth
A sad and truly unfair way to be fired.
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  New HampshireFebruary 12, 2019
I'm a woman with no experience in this field, yet I was given a chance based on my background and enthusiasm during the interview. To make a long story somewhat short, I was let go only 9 days after working for USIC. With no inkling it would happen. I felt i was very attentive and interested in my position and during my training, I did have minor hiccups along the way sit getting pneumonia and having a death in the family all on one week, but I was assured everything was ok and it had no bearing on my employment. I thought i did everything I could to shoe my enthusiasm and worth for the job , but I was let go suddenly. I was told I was being picked up by the supervisor for a "ride a long" and when he arrived, he asked for my phone and computer and said he was sorry but they just don't see things working out. They didn't feel I was attentive or interested enough and that I don't seem to be a good fit for the job. Needless to say, I'm still grief stricken over it. I actually did like the job, quite a bit. I was excited to start working. The reason for termination felt so false and unrealistic. I felt i wasnt given the full truth or even a chance to really show them what I was capable of as their employee.
Run, don't walk, run from this place
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Central WisconsinFebruary 11, 2019
Worked for this "company ", out of state. The classroom experience is a complete waste of time. The idiots that they pay to "train " you, are more interested in answering their smartphone emails, than actually trying to teach you anything.

One word of caution. Get copies of everything that they give to you that requires your signature. This company will lie to your face and then blame you for their mistakes. Once you get out of the classroom and with your trainer that you ride with, Heaven help you. Be prepared for someone that chances are, didn't even want to be a trainer. Since this place can't keep any employees, they are constantly hiring fresh meat. Thus, the "trainers " are forced to have someone tag along with them, while they complain to you on how much they hate what they are doing.

The only people that I would suggest that you recommend this job to, is your worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Way too many to list
Great job wish I can go back
Water locator (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 11, 2019
Just listen and follow instructions you will grow fast in the company and remember safety first and take your time you don’t have to rush your job if you not sure always call the supervisor
Stressful but can get a lot of hours
Utility Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILFebruary 9, 2019
Lots of hours, very easy to get fired. No one ever seemed happy. Everyone always talked about leaving. New employees weekly. Training was a waste of time
Pros
NO micro management
Cons
low pay
This is a stressful job not for the faint of heart.
Lead Technician Locating Tech (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXFebruary 9, 2019
In the time I was at this job there was several company mergers and down sizes. Which over all just added to the work stress that was hard to balance out with any version of a personal life.
Pros
The pay can be good if you work the overtime.
Cons
To make the good money with this job you have to have nearly no personal life.
Exhausting
Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 9, 2019
This would not be a bad job for a single guy that likes to be outdoors. Be ready for a lot of hours in the summer and 4 or less hours a day in the winter.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USIC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8