USIC Employee Reviews

Not worth risking your safety
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 12, 2018
USIC had the potential to be great job which could transition to a bright career. Or so I thought at first. Training at a La Quinta Inn was inadequate and rushed. Once you’re done with training you’re thrown to the wolves out in the field. None of the veterans truly have the time to help you. The job is very fast paced and extremely stressful. Minimum 60+ hour work weeks and mandatory weekends. Contractors do not respect you. Supervisors are incompetent, cannot answer questions, and will refer you to the veteran techs with you would be extremely lucky if they actually answered the phone. It seems the “good old boy system” is how supervisors and management get into the position they have. But the one thing that drove me to leaving the job was the idle time supervisors constantly monitored. Idle time is when your truck is running while not moving. Most techs took advantage of the idle time wasting time in the truck. After almost a year I was primarily in assigned to the more difficult locates which required accessing manholes. In order to safely access a manhole you have to constantly have an air blower going in order to supply fresh air inside the manhole along with a gas detector. The truck has to be running (if you don’t want to kill the battery) for the air blower to supply fresh air which drives your idle time up. Supervisors were always on my case on why my idle time was so high disregarding the fact that I was down in manholes all day. I was suggested to quit using the blower so much. I was always called out publicly on our daily conference calls and emails sent out about  more... my high idle time. And my gas detector that was issued to me never worked. But the supervisors would never get me a replacement. Bottom line is supervisors do not care about your safety. The pay is not worth the risk if you want to go home to your family. Stay away from this company. There is a reason for the high turnover rate of employees.  less
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Safely is compromised on a daily basis, terrible management, and rushed training
not a good place to work if u do not like stress
Technician (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IADecember 12, 2018
you put 10 to 15 hour a day in the spring and the summer season You get stress out fast, and the management is poor,the long hours and being on call,weekends when u are not on call
Pros
the Benefits
Cons
long hours and no help lack of employes
Its a laid back job work at ur on pace
Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 8, 2018
Its laid back work at ur on pace up to u how much money I want to make u work alone its s fun job wat I hate about the job is disconnecting people electric wat I like most about the job is reconnecting people electric
High turnover
Locator Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 5, 2018
Low pay, long hrs, poor management, lack of training, always understaffed and no help getting your projects done, very poor leadership at al levels...
Fast paced and stressful
Locating Technician (Current Employee) –  Ravenna, NEDecember 3, 2018
This is not a bad company but when winter comes around you have to live off of unemployment for three months. Haveing to do that you dont make enogh money to cover bills. You are monitered on everything you do. They dont allow you be on the clock until you reach your first job site but you use a company vehicle to drive to all your jobs.
Pros
Good benefits and they supply you with all the equipment requiered to do your job
Cons
Slim to no work over the winter
Easily the worst company I've ever worked for.
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 20, 2018
It's all about the numbers. It matters not if a ticket requires marking out multiple utilities spanning several blocks, and it takes you two to three days, you will get scolded for not working enough tickets. I've never come across so many sociopaths in a company.

Ontarget was a locating company stationed in New England. This company was surprisingly decent to work in comparison to USIC. When USIC bought them out in the middle of the summer of 2018, things began to change for the worst. Perhaps the two biggest changes was taking a 30% pay cut, and not being paid as I'm driving to and from work, which was a great incentive, especially for on calls which was automatic overtime.

With USIC, all these incentives were removed. I got paid less, the pay didn't start until I arrived at the work site, no more overtime for being on call. The worst part was the over night on call. You could be awoken up at 2 AM in the night, drive 2 hours back and forth, but only got paid for 15 minutes, because that's how long it took you to do the job. UNBELIEVABLE. If there was any reasonable incentive to motivate a person to at least be willing to be disturbed at such an ungodly time of the night, it's gone. Forget EA, Microsoft, or [insert hated company's name here], USIC is by far the worst company I've ever come across.

If there was a company I'd truly wish to go bankrupt, it would be this one.
Pros
Are you kiddin????
Cons
Everything, except the overworked employees.
Freedom
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 19, 2018
I started with this company to change career paths. I wanted to get into the locating field and have the freedom that the employees had. I had a great team and supervisor as well as upper management.
Great job
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 12, 2018
This job has been a huge blessing for myself and my family. The company as a whole is very solid, as long as you can adapt to changes and work a LOT of hours. Corporate is based in kc mo for my area and the dm is a good guy. The pay is above average for my area and the perks of a work truck, smart phone and laptop are huge. Vacation time is good as well. It gets better the longer your there. Only thing I would like to see is more oppurtunity to advance in my area ( huge possibilities if you mobile but if not it's very limited) this is due to management being good at their jobs and not needing to be replaced. Springfield is a very busy crew but the managers handle it well and actually care about you and your family. Good job guys.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
None really
Poor training, poor wages
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CONovember 2, 2018
Place is a joke ran by greedy, incompetent managers. Worst training I have seen from any company in 35+ yes. Of being In the workforce. Have a incompetent kid as a lead tech brought in by family in management training people improperly on how to use gas monitors and etc....
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Everything else
Decent Place to work
District Manage for USIC (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXNovember 2, 2018
Typical day is constant phone calls, teleconference meetings and labor management.

I learned how to manage labor hours and a large budget.

I was part of management and felt that input was received fairly well.

Poor work / life balance. Under staffing played a huge part in this.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with contractors.

Most enjoyable was when we were able to provide quality service to customers and contractors alike.
Pros
Remote Work Locations
Cons
Significant time requirement
Overall Great Place
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 1, 2018
Overall great place to work. Great atmosphere and you are by yourself most the day. Have to be able to manage your time well. It can get VERY busy and stressful
Good starter job for young people
Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Lombard, IL 60148October 31, 2018
High turnover rate. Job supplies are limited. Things change with little advanced notice.
No paid time off for a year, no sick days. Insurance is expensive if you want decent coverage. Home life balance is difficult.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Long hours, unrequested transfers.
You will never run out of work to do.
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Parker, COOctober 27, 2018
So long hours, loads of stress and a huge workload are okay for me. If you like to be busy and you can handle pressure this is a good job for you. But if you typically just whine and complain about everything that doesn’t go your way or you don’t like to work hard for your money then this isn’t the job for you. You HAVE to be able to be productive on your own or you will stroke out and quit. Competency is definitely necessary here. I am fortunate enough that if I can’t figure something out my lead tech and supervisor always answer and usually are able to help me out. The biggest thing that I don’t like about this job is we run out of supplies like paint and batteries A LOT. Also don’t wear your favorite pair of boots while working unless you feel like giving them a paint job cause you will get paint on them. If you decide this is for you then good luck and welcome to the team!
Pros
Great leadership team, company truck and gas card, outdoors and on your own, unlimited overtime for most of the year
Cons
Always running out of supplies, cellular service on company phone and computer sucks
Busy job
Locater (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INOctober 24, 2018
Busy but got as many hours as long as your productive. Worked on call and also have to be self efficient to manger your own area. Enjoy manger and work
Good place to learn
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 22, 2018
Lots and lots of hours, you get very little time to have a family. You are always working. Management is always expecting you to be willing to work over time.
Pros
lots of hours company truck and phone
Cons
No time for a family
Fast paced
Locate technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 22, 2018
Lack of manpower for workload, more training is needed to advance. Work load is above what people are able to produce in a safe manner. They push numbers hard on employees. Promises are made to work location but are not fulfilled by management. Turnover rate is high than normal.
Pros
Outdoor work
Cons
Workload
low hours
line locator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 22, 2018
They started cutting hours. First Saturdays than down to 8 hours a day. All while getting the same amount of work done. Projects stacked up. Trying to juggle tickets hoping you dont get a dig up.
Pros
you get a truck
Cons
on calls
Good place, but lots of hours
Utility Locator (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 20, 2018
Overtime is expected even though it doesn't say it is mandatory. Pro is you get a company work vehicle. Worked there 5 years. Enjoyed the type of work.
wont go back
locate tech (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2018
management watches every single move you make, they are all about numbers and money. unappreciative and don't really care about the employee as much as they say do, you can be the top man on the crew top ticket closer and no damages you only 5 cents for all your hard work. they are penny pinchers. don't suggest working here. they push you hard and doesn't matter how much work you do its never enough.
Pros
company truck and company provides all the eqyuipment you need
Cons
everything other than company provided equipment
It All Depends
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Eastern Missouri Region/Southeast DistrictOctober 16, 2018
#1 You will work every Saturday from early spring, until late fall.
#2 You will work 10-12 hour days, every day, Monday-Saturday, and sometimes Sundays.
#3 Sometimes, you will be sent to work in other areas, 2-4 hours away.
#4 You have to be able to pay very good attention to detail, because you will be dealing with multiple sets of blueprints all day.
#5 Your driving is heavily monitored, and tracked using GPS. They monitor how fast you accel, decel, what your speed is, and your location.
#6 You will work completely alone, 95% of the time.
#7 You will be apart of an on-call rotation with your teammates, and sometimes will be called out for emergencies at all hours of the night.
#8 You do have the option to pick what time you want to start each day, as long as you start by 7:30. Example: I want to be off by 3:30, so I get on the clock at 5:30.
#9 You will be working 100% outdoors.
#10 You will be offered various types of health and life insurance, but it is very expensive
#11 You will get 1 week of paid vacation after a year.

Your experience with USIC as a Utility Locator, will largely depend on the location you are hired to work. It will also depend on your team, and your supervisor. I am exceptionally privileged to work for an excellent leader, and also to work around an overall excellent team. It can be highly stressful at times, it will feel like you don't see your family enough at times, and there will be times you will be ready to quit. You must be able to self-motivate, and you are in control of your own quality, its up to you whether you do the job
  more... correctly, or just wing it, and hope you don't get a damage. The job is not as bad as some of the reviews have made it out to be, but it's also not as good as some have made it out to be either. The job should definitely pay more per hour. However, you don't have to use your own vehicle, and they pay for your gas, which are expenses that you don't have coming out of your pocket each week. If you like overtime, working outdoors, and detail-oriented work, this is the job for you. If you are a 40 hours max person, prefer an assembly line, or warehouse setting, and not having a lot of pressure or responsibility being put on you, then this is not the job for you. Hopefully this review will steer you in the right direction.  less
Pros
Unlimited Overtime, Company Vehicle w/Gas Card, Working On Your Own, Get To Choose Your Start Time (Within Reason)
Cons
Expensive Benefits/Hourly Pay/Can Be Highly Stressful/Sometimes Have To Work Out Of Your Area

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USIC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7