USIC Employee Reviews

2.7
Ratings breakdown
productive
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2018
Keeps you busy. Work outside in the heat and all elements of weather. Busiest time is in the summer. Pay is good for entry level position. The company is big on number of locates
Great place
Locator Technician (Current Employee) –  Dublin, GAAugust 13, 2018
Great places to work and will recommend anyone with no locate experience to come here. Family base company and very well trained supervisor in my area
Cake n Eat it to
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2018
Corporate wants both Quantity and Quality. when locators have a backlog of tickets up to 25 per day and some tickets take 2-3 hours to complete. but u have to do a minimum of 10 tickets a day.
Pros
Own Vehicle
Cons
6 days a week at 10 hours a day
I don't want to write a review
Accounts Receivable/Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 7, 2018
They pay well there is a lot of perks. Management is so/so depends what area you work in. Corporate does a lot for their employees. The locators get the short end of the stick.
Pros
good salary and family oriented
Cons
no chance of advancement
Okay place to work
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 2, 2018
Working for USIC in the beginning was fun. Worked with a great group of guys and girls. Hours were awesome. Pay check was nice. But when May hit it got really crazy. You work between 10-12 hours minimum. Which can be nice when that check rolls around. They would want you to get around 20-40 tickets done. Which wasn’t hard. But when you get a huge extent it’s hard to keep up. Also you ARE working every weekend no questions asked. Which can be nice. Because by Thursday you are at 40 hours. So Friday and Saturday would be overtime.

My supervisor was awesome. He Would do anything is power to help you out. That’s honestly what kept me around for a while.

Having a nice truck to take home every day was nice. Never touched my personal car all week.
Pros
Newer truck to take home. Great supervisors. Good training.
Cons
Long hours. No home life. Low pay. HIGH STRESS
Wasn’t bad at first but new management came in and ruined it
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INAugust 1, 2018
They fired me while on FMLA, it was not bad at first for HI first couple years but then it went down hill quickly when new management came in and then you were watched very intensely
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible management
Rewarding
District Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 25, 2018
USIC is a great organization to work for. Although the work is stressful at times, it is rewarding as well. I have never had a issue over my 10 plus years working here, where if I had any kind of issue and I took it to the right person it did not get addressed or handled properly. The organization provides continued education as well opportunity for advancement within. The hardest part of the job is there is always work to be done, so it is very easy to over work each and everyday, but with a good daily routine, you can accomplish what you need to and still have a good work/life balance. The flexibility that comes with this job is priceless, and is overlooked a lot.
Pros
Flexibility, on-going training
It's ok if you really need a job.
Locating technician (Current Employee) –  Naperville, IL DistrictJuly 24, 2018
At first it was okay. Then came to realize that the amount of work compared to the pay wasn't even close. I was working 60 hrs approx then it got slow in area, so they made a new rule where if you don't get x amount done in x hours you're cut off for the day. 60 hrs was a bit much but the overtime pay was what it should be. It's almost impossible to meet the new rule standard, if you're actually doing the job correctly, especially with some of the extents they give us. A fence job, if done correctly, would take 45-1hr..then drive time to new location. There's no way to do this and still bring home a decent paycheck. Coincidence that after this new rule was set in place the district all of a sudden had a giant spike in damages? Don't think so. People are rushing so we can provide for our families. Even if you do only 1 ticket per hour the company is still more than doubling what we are paid. Is paying for costly damages and possibly endangering people's lives worth it? I think the company is actually making less since all these ridiculous damages started occuring, rather than letting the locators do their jobs and get less tickets done. If you keep this up people will quit because they aren't making enough money. Then you will continue to get damages because the new hire won't know what they're doing. Fined 5000 if a ticket is late too. Losing people means more tickets going late. Idk if the higher level management have been out of the field too long to remember what it's like, but this is pretty simple to figure out.
Pros
Company vehicle, computer, phone
Cons
Hours, paycheck
dont sugest this job
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 23, 2018
Wouldn't be such a bad job if it weren't for such poor management and better raises. had a few locates that could have been fought. but my supervisor was to worried about sitting on his butt at home to care.
Total lack of communication.
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 22, 2018
Very rarely, if ever advised of issues that concern you. Never advised of co-workers days off that play a part in your workday. Total lack of communicatio .
Pros
Take home Vehicle (business use only)
Cons
Overworked, unferstaffed
You get own take home car
Utility Locator Technician (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 21, 2018
Take Home Car
always a different place every day

Bad weather you don't get paid

You work in hot or cold weather

Pay needs to be more then what it is for utility locator and the responsibility it requires
Unreliable
Digital Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2018
I have never worked for a company so unorganized with no training program whatsoever. I was top performer when I first got there, even talks of promotion. Right before my 6 month review, I supposedly failed a number of audits, mind you I had not failed audits at all up to this point, then I was let go right before my raise and possible promotion for overall performance because of "workforce reduction".
Terrible job!
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 15, 2018
They just keep stacking on the work load and working you very long hours. Myself it was dawn until dark and then later if you're on call. Never got the feeling they really cared at all. Work/family balance is terrible even though they claim to care. Wage is low with VERY limited raises and PTO is a joke. 5 days! This includes vacation personal and sick time. This company is a joke!!! I moved on to another locating company and had a great experience. Good pay and so on. I AM NOT a disgruntled employee. I'm just starting the facts so be warned...USIC (maybe not in general) SUCKS! I worked in northern Indiana.
Pros
Its a job...a poor one but a job!
Cons
Suicide is a better option
Field slave (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 14, 2018
Worst company, worst experience of employment I have ever had. They set you up to fail, management is worthless, the turn over of employees is astronomical.
Pros
Paychecks didn't bounce
Cons
Everything about the job
Stress
Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 13, 2018
Good starter job for locating, however, the work load during the dig seasons drove a lot of the employees away. management wast trained well enough to retain team
Pros
hours
Cons
pay
Over work and underappreciated
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 7, 2018
Do you want to spend every day light hour 6 days a week at work? This is the job for you!

Want zero appreciation from management? Work here

Criteria for pay raise change and whim of management...
Cons
long hours low pay raise
Unrealistic expectations
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 5, 2018
The management was terrible, the starting pay hasn't changed in at least 5 years, and the expectations aren't realistic. They want you to complete as many tickets (site visits) as possible. Each ticket can be very different as some can take 15 minutes, while others can take hours, depending on the size of the size and the utilities on the location. They try to promote safety and ensuring that you do all locating to the best of your ability, but they don't want to give you the time to do your job correctly. All they care about is the number of tickets that are completed.

If you can put up with all of that, it's actually a neat job.
Pros
On the road, different sites every day, it keeps it interesting
Cons
Expectations are not realistic
Not a bad job but your local McDonald's is hiring
Utility Locator Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC 29615July 5, 2018
They train you, so with any ability at all, you can learn the job. The pay was decent considering I had no past experience and the insurance was decent. Those are the good things, which unfortunately are outweighed by the bad which to me was the amount of time off that was given.

For the first 5 years, you get 5 days off, and that is in the form of PTO which is given at a flat rate and not based on the number of hours worked. This is both your vacation and sick time and you are not allowed to use your overtime towards a sick day. That is understandable as folks would just get to 60 hours lets say in 5 days and they find out they have to work a sixth day and just call in as they are tired. I get why they do it the way they do, I just do not agree with it. I believe a better policy would be to allow that use of OT towards a sick day 2 times a year and after that you can't would be better as it would leave the entire 5 days of PTO open for a person to actually get a full week vacation a year. I did not mind the long hours, which could be 10-12 during busy seasons such as late spring summer and early fall, but good luck getting the time of during this time, and good luck with not being forced to work mandated 6 day weeks, so you can get up to 70 hours in a week. Your ticket load, which is called a bucket, is on your computer they are rated by color Dark red being late or real close to late and lower. If you clean your bucket and others that call in or are not able to get their done for various reasons, you may log in the next day thinking you're caught up and see a bunch
  more... of red tickets, then you are expected to get them done. Now this is understandable to a point, but not on a consistent basis. Hard locates and correct print reading is not taught well and when in doubt you are to call a supervisor and they will come out and help or send someone but in the interim go do what you can....good luck with that strategy and getting your bucket at least half accomplished. Some days you scream at the computer. It is high stress.

Now, this would make it sound as if I didn't like it, but in fact, I did enjoy the job, and if the vacation time had been better I would most likely still be there. The people and even district and local management were decent, but the system is what it is. They give you a truck, a gas card, and most of the tools to do your job and most of the time there is no one over your shoulder other than you making sure you locate correctly so as not to have any damages. Do it right and you won't have that worry at least
Pros
Decent pay, decent insurance
Cons
poor time off policies
Poorly Managed
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 4, 2018
The culture at USIC is rapid paced with too few employees, and at every opportunity you are thrown under the bus. Promises made by management (raises, routes, work hours), are NEVER kept. Rampant favoratism to a select few and frequent back stabbing ensures no advancement to a higher level.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
See review
great place to work
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tallmadge, OHJuly 3, 2018
its a great place to work if you can work by you self and don't have to have someone telling you what to do all day. you have your own set area and jobs come right to you and then get them done