USIC Employee Reviews

Great job, as long as the higher ups are happy
Utilities Locator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 16, 2018
USIC was a terrific opportunity; however, middle management was constantly hamstrung by executive shot callers. When our team needed more warm bodies, executives refused to let my manager hire them. When we couldn't meet production requirements established by those same executives, they still refused to let my manger hire anyone. As such, there was more pressure on my manager than he deserved, and thus the same pressure was passed onto the rank and file employees. Should this change, I would recommend USIC to anyone, but until higher level management is either replaced or until they acknowledge their mistakes, I cannot in good faith suggest it to anyone.
Pros
Work truck is assigned to you, to some extent you make your own hours
Cons
higher level management is incompetent
Terrible place to work
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita AreaOctober 11, 2018
District Supervisor is a snake in the grass. The two area Supervisors aren't any better. One avoids confrontation at all costs. The other is a rat and a coward. Nobody wants to do their job and contractors that work with utility locators are a holes that will blame you for everything gone wrong because KSOneCall and the KCC only holds USIC employees accountable. GPS in the vehicles are ridiculous(understatement). Turnover ratio is so incredibly high due to the amount of responsibility given to new heads straight out of training that they stress out and quit. The veterans are so stressed with daily ticket load they can't help out new guys anymore. This place is going down fast. Literally, every employee is looking for a way out. Also, be prepared to work almost every weekend.
no job security
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 11, 2018
over worked way more tickets then you can handle without rushing and causing damages that take away from pay raise and can terminate you so there's not much to offer if you have family
Pros
benifits
Cons
hours, work load
Dominates schedule
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PA 19406October 11, 2018
10 plus hours plus on call at least once a week. You'll be expected to work seven days a week usually. As long as they need you. No PTO for a year....
Pros
Money is good, you work so much you're bound to see something from it
Cons
Burnout is guaranteed, too many consecutive days with no break, cut throat management high turnover position
Fast paced and stressful
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 10, 2018
The immediate management is great to work with. The upper management is short sighted and doesn't seem to comprehend the differences of each job. Their main concern is production, production, production. It doesn't matter if you have 1 ticket that entails 10 houses with 4 different lines to locate or 10 seperate tickets with most of the utilities overhead. The person who did the 10 tickets is a great producing employee. The person who did the 1 ticket that required four times as much work is an unproductive employee
Pros
Set you own schedule.Work alone, no one looking over your shoulder
Cons
High stress. Ins. benefits extremely pricey.
Company behind industry standard
Locator (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAOctober 6, 2018
This company unfortunately has a strangle hold on many areas of the country and therefore they set their own standards as far as pay and benefits. Both of which are way lower than the industry standard. I would say that the training is adequate. After training you are pretty much thrown to the woves. Production is pushed on you whether you can handle it or not. They have way too much work for the number of locators they have and then seem surprised when damages happen. This company will not have your back when it comes to disputes over damages and in my experience have always sided with the contractor so as not to upset them. Which makes no sense. They do not care about your family life and are constantly pushing you to work more hours regardless of the affect it will have on your family. Overall I would never recommend working for this company to anyone! They do not care about their employees. The buck stops with the bottom line. Money. This company needs a serious overhaul from the top on down, but that will never happen until they have serious competition country wide!
Pros
It’s a job I guess
Cons
Everything. Over worked and under payed. Does not care about their employees or their families.
Regional Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 4, 2018
Office staff in very nice. Stressful atmosphere at times. Managers are very demanding with limited staff and will not listen to reason. Personal out in the field are worked too hard
Great Career advancement opportunities
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2018
I started with the company at the age of 20. The last 20 years with the company have offered great opportunities to me and my family. My salary and benefits here at USIC has supported me, my wife, and 6 kids stand alone. I would reccomend the opportunity to work at USIC to anyone who enjoys working outdoors, working independantly, loves troubleshooting, ready to be responsible, and looking for a stable career. USIC has many opportunities available to be something great.
Pros
USIC promotes from within, paid vacation time, opportunities to travel, and great benefits
Cons
Long hours during peak months
stressfull
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 24, 2018
I feel that they do not pay a competitive wage for those starting out.
Insurance isn't that great.
No sick pay...they take your vacation if you're sick.
Rules change all of the time.
They allow other companies that they have contracts with to call the shots.
Understaffed
Favortism
No incentive for on-call. (24 hours for a whole week. about every 5-6 weeks, it's your turn).
Pros
you're out on your own
Cons
a lot of responsibility
Corporate out of touch.
Supervisor over a 12-man crew (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Corporate out of touch with employees and the requirements of maintaining and managing an work area. They removed their training program and asked senior techs to train new techs without any compensation while operating at optimal levels.
Low pay and no pto or vacation till after a year.
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaSeptember 18, 2018
Unless you REALLY REALLY like the outdoors and walking any where and everywhere I would not recommend it. If you have no experience they start out at 12.50( at the time of writing )and benefits don't become active till after 90 days, but the price of the benefits mean you have to work even more to afford them. Also you don't have any PTO or vacation till after a full year has past so if you need to stay out you don't get paid. Training isn't good for what you need to do your job, mine only lasted five days plus the time with your coach (5 days) and when you're out there on your own you most likely won't have the equipment you need to do your job. I would recommend look elsewhere or go to a technical college and get into a field that pays better, safer and allows you to spend time with your family. Also you don't clock in from home you clock in at your first ticket which could be 20-30 minutes away.
Pros
Company truck. No micro managing
Cons
Pay, benefits, work hours, on call, lack of training, and 21 minute lunch
great wokr
Usic (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2018
long hours if needed managed pretty good and can learn alot everyday, can learn to read charts and prints of properties. Also learn the dangers of hit gas line and hit electrical cables.
pay does not reflect work at all
Utility Locating Technician (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORSeptember 13, 2018
My biggest issue is with pay. If you expect to get someone who is dependable, and works hard and can keep damages from happening in highly stressful environments, locating million dollar facilities... pay them more than 15.50 an hour. Cost of living in my area is exceedingly high. to sustain a small 1 bdrm requires aprx 23$ an hour. at 15.50 im payed the same a delivery driver for dominos or jimmy johns is payed. This drives employees to not care about their job and quality of their work as they feel like they are not valued. In general management is completely unaware of whats going on in the field VS what their supervisors act like is going on. Serious Lack of safety equipment provided to techs. regionals and managers acknowledge lack of required safety equipment and look the other way as long as production is high.
Highly under paid
Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 11, 2018
Just another revolving door type of company. Very underpaid and the benefits are useless. You are given a company vehicle but you might as well be given training wheels to go with it.
Pros
Work truck
Cons
Pay
Very good place to work. Well managed
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MOSeptember 10, 2018
Fast paced job that you earn fair pay and benefits for the type of work you do. Always on your feet in hot weather. Dealing with customers is the most stressful part of the job.
I am a newer employee
Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 8, 2018
I have only been with the company for the first month or two but it does seem like they reward those who want to work hard. If you are taking pride in what you do and are doing it correctly then you will receive max raises every year as long as you do not have any damages on your name that were your fault. They seem to advance the people that want to move up in the company as they hire from within except for the entry level position of a location technician.
Pros
Company Truck, Phone and laptop. Open overtime for those that are productive workers, up to $2.50 raise potential in first year with no damages.
Cons
Pay could start off a bit higher.
Unless you have nothing else
Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 6, 2018
This employer is NOT recommended! If you are young and single and want to work 60 + hours a week. Then this the job gor you, but they will only train you half heartedly, the field traing is NOT much better, Your expected to work 10 + hours a day and be on call at least once or twice a week. There is no home life, you also work weekends. So don't bother making plans,

It's a interesting experience but it's a waste of time unless you don't have anything else. Again NOT recommended.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No time to spend with your family
Dont work here
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLAugust 29, 2018
Management is full u back stabbing liars who will cross you just to make them look better never trust any thing they say you probably know more then they actually do
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Everything else
Very fast paced and High responsibilities
Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MO 63045August 27, 2018
Management was horrible and only cared about them getting there bonus's. Constantly behind job quotas with never enough help to complete jobs on time. some employees would be willing to help but most were self centered to get through the day.
Pros
Newer work truck
Cons
everything else about the company
Overall good place to work
Utility Locate Technician (Current Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCAugust 27, 2018
Love to be on my own but really missing the security career I was seeking! Thought I wanted something different but want to get back to what I love doing!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USIC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7