USO Employee Reviews

Rewarding Job
USO Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 29, 2018
Loved volunteering here. Would love to work for the company in Washington DC. Met lots of people. Makes you feel good about what you are doing. Lots of fun people.
Boring Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  KoreaJune 23, 2018
No feeling of accomplishment. Always waiting for someone on the team to make a mistake so they could dismiss them.

The organization does a good thing for service members, but it should do much more.
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJune 16, 2018
The USO was a great place to volunteer. I enjoyed my time there because it was such a hospitality-based position, and I enjoyed interacting with people. My favorite thing to do was check in guests and do the front office tasks.
Creates and environment for soldiers to relax and have fun.
Front desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buehring KuwaitMay 14, 2018
Working with the USO was a blessing that I was able to partake in. As a volunteer I helped with basic tasks around the building. The managers and paid employees were very kind and caring always putting on a brave face even in the face of danger.

The USO is a wonderful company. Its permanent employees can be assigned (on volunteer basis I think) to serve abroad in many locations including some areas classified as areas of imminent danger and combat duty stations. They are as brave as the soldiers they tend to.

The work place culture is as you would expect of a recreation center. Most duties are covered by volunteers but maintenance and supervision are conducted by paid employ. It is not to say they do not work as they step in and help constantly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you truly are making a difference in the lives of people who are literally going through the most difficult time of their lives on a daily basis. Being able to work with people from around the world and give help to anyone who needs it is satisfying regardless of being paid to do it or volunteering.
Fun Loving Place
Volunteer Services (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMarch 28, 2018
A typical work day is signing in soldier and their family member to utilize any thing we had to offer. I would prepare daily food, drinks and snack for all guess. In this Job there was nothing had you come into an atmosphere where everyone always has a smile on their face and are ready and willing to help you in which ever way we can help you.
Pros
peaceful environment, all the free amenities.
na
Vice President, Pacific Region (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 4, 2018
so it don't have any coments to provide at this time. its is pretty much a buyer beware is all I can say - more about the money that taking care of troops and families. I would put them in last place compared to wounded warrior
Fun work place, Had games and food, mostly relaxed with no problems
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 22, 2018
It was a great working environment, where everyone has fun and things are always nice and calm. Most of the work included just handing out snacks or making sure that things stayed neat and tidy. Management was always nice, and relatively civil. The hardest part of the job was definitely taking orders around during rushes and cleaning up after big rushes, but the happy atmosphere and the nice time with my coworkers was worth it.
Pros
Free dinner, we got to watch movies or play games if there was extra free time
Cons
No bathrooms nearby, we also had to deal with many people who had trauma or mental health issues.
Great
Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2017
Fun workplace great people nice customers great pay with the opportunity to make A lot of money and connections in a short amount of time I would work there again
Center Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 1, 2017
The USO is an organization that is there to help military members and their family. Since I have ben there, I have seen first hand how members of the armed forces are taken care of.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Camp Walker, KRSeptember 26, 2017
I volunteered here for a year and it was a fantastic experience. I got to meet many people which became both friends and business partners. I'd recommend this experience for anyone
great organization
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2017
great organization glad am able to help them volunteer organization that supports military service member families and retirees by providing comfortable place to rest and other programs
Great Job!!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 14, 2017
I would recommend working for the USO, if you can afford too. Everything about the job is great, except the pay. I do not have one negative thing to say, besides the pay.
Pros
Benefits, Management, Office Space, Training, Location
Cons
Pay
Fun Enviroment
Transition Coach (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 30, 2017
The environment is very fun and the people that I work with are amazing. The job is to assist military personnel and their families prepare for post military life. It can be a demanding job because people really are looking for you to assist them in moving on with their civilian life.
Genuinely helping clientele with enthusiastic people
Receptionist Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 24, 2017
Genuinely helping clientele with enthusiastic people in the facility. Plenty of variety of duties within the office. Various projects available and performance positively recognized by the employer.
Productive and relaxed work setting
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 8, 2017
Workplace culture was enjoyable and relaxed, we were able to complete many tasks, accomplish many goals and provide exceptional customer service and assistance to service members and their families.
Just a stepping stone to better things
Upscale Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2016
Working at G4S is the place to go to find better employment when your down on your luck. Everything is okay at first, don't buy the shoes they offer at the office. They will work with your schedule, but the company is always short on people while the risk of losing contracts.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Depends on supervisors
Not a Good Job
Security Officer ­ Wackenhut (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMay 6, 2016
I had the worst experience with this company very unprofessional didn't care about there employees will not recommend this company to anyone.
Loved hanging out with the guys
Assistant Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 25, 2016
Every Thursday i would go with the event coordinator to the barracks or the debriefing lounge to talk to the new recruits about what the USO does for the military. At the USO we created a home away from home. Our building at the Navy base in Pensacola is the second largest in the world. I've learned to keep track of merchandise, and to keep things clean; talk to and keep the guys entertained with the theater room and game rooms. Management was good, but seemed a bit backwards. The event coordinator, whom i was with most of the time, seemed to bee there the most and do the most for these kids. She loved them like they were her own. The director of operations, never seemed to hang out with the guys, though there were multiple other things that the need to take care of, and promote. The director of supervision, they did hang out with the guys, though they always left early, about 5 hours early and would move the event coordinators days off so that they could have a vacation. The co-workers were navy volunteers, they were always fun to work with. The hardest part of the job, was seeing someone get dispatched or kicked out. After creating a friendship with that person they would leave. The Most enjoyable part would be creating a friendship with them and getting to talk to them on a personal level. They just want some one to talk to and hangout with, and it was blast doing that.
Pros
free snacks, watch movies and get to go where ever you wanted
Cons
not enough breaks, sometimes not enough volunteers
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJuly 22, 2015
Enjoyed being with all Military staff even though it was the first time I met them felt like I had known them my entire life.
The USO is a great organization
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2015
The USO is a great organization that provides the comforts of home in a minuscule way and are very military and family friendly.
Pros
The uses of free accommodations and food, entertainment, and friendly faces.
Cons
Short stock of supplies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USO. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

1.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight